Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Noobs review of the Blackout XTE

Old 08-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Sledder9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noobs review of the Blackout XTE

Hi all

I just wanted to write a quick review of my experiences with the Blackout after having it a few weeks. I had a couple tmaxx trucks a long time ago, and currently have a Traxxas teton, and wanted to get back into 1/10th scale. I was looking at the Traxxas stampede when I stumbled on the Blackout. I tried to do some research on it before I bought it, but couldn't find much which is what prompted this post.

After the limited research I could do, looking at it in person, and the very attractive price tag compared to the stampede ($140 vs almost $300) I decided to bite the bullet and go for it, and I'm glad I did.

All I was really looking for was a waterproof truck that was reasonably durable, and just worked, and that's what I got. The first thing I noticed was how substantial it felt. Weight of course has its downfalls, but in this case I was more worried about durability than power. It has already proven itself here. I know there are no indestructible trucks, but the fact that I haven't broken anything yet is pretty impressive. I also don't drive like a total idiot, but still drive it hard. My tmaxx, which was admittedly faster, was constantly breaking stuff.

That is the upside. It's cheap and it's durable. The downside is the electronics. It is somewhat underpowered, and I'm OK with that. I think they did a great job on the chassis, and had to shave money somewhere. The thing is, I have a brushless conversion on the way, and I still spent less than I would have on the stampede. And I'm guessing, side by side the stampede and blackout would be comparable. I'm not knocking the Traxxas, they have a fine product and but you do pay for a little extra for the name. Now I didn't get the top of the line brushless setup, so I don't know how much more power I'll get, but I'll be happy regardless.

The other thing I would like to upgrade is the steering. Not sure if it's the servo saver or the servo itself. It doesn't like to come back to center by itself. Frankly, this isn't a big deal to me at all. It's just a basher. But I think after the conversion and tires, this will be the next and probably last upgrade I'll need for this thing.

The conclude, I would definitely buy again. I want to get a second one for my kids, but the wife won't let me. I know redcat gets kind of a bad rap for being cheap, but from what I can tell they cheap out on components that most hobbyists would upgrade anyway. My next rig will be a 1/8th Scale truggy, and I'll be looking long and hard at the offering from redcat.

Disclaimer - I am in no way paid or otherwise compensated by redcat for this post. Although if they want to sponsor me, they can feel free. Haha.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:30 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redc...ing-issue.html
or Yahoo! search:https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=U...ervo+saver+fix

Thanks for the input! I've looked purchasing the Blackout platform, and the one area I was concerned about was the steering system. The main thing about the platform...it's hobby grade, so you can replace parts as they break .
Old 08-21-2017, 02:18 PM
Sledder9

There are some good tips in there. Frankly I haven't even looked at solutions yet because it doesn't bother me. My driving could use way more improvement than the equipment. If I was more anal or a racer I would probably put it higher on the list.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:00 PM
DriveForFun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest accolade for the Blackout is the drivetrain - even on brushless, doing 35mph with 4wd, mine has been 100% problem free over a year or so - not one gear stripped - and we're talking beatings this thing takes, sometimes my son drives it too (it's technically his!)
Old 09-03-2017, 02:04 PM
unionjack51

Default New to RC

I purchased a Blackout XTE (with the brushless motor) as my first RC at my sons recommendation. We went and looked at the T brand trucks then went to a small RC hobby store where he had purchased his first RedCat. We both walked out with new RedCats. We payed full price but the owner thru in a 3500 battery with each car.
Love the truck, and have only busted one piece, driver error.