Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Great issues

Old 04-11-2018, 04:22 AM
Lucoferon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Great issues

I'm new to the RC world and have a blackout xte pro. When gently squeezing the throttle I notice my spur gear kinda moving (by that I mean it sounds and looks like it's jumping out skipping but it is turning) but the rear axles are not. When I put more throttle to it it picks up and goes but sometimes it takes a couple of seconds. Also when it's doing this it's making niose almost like gears are skipping. When at a dead stop in 5 inch tall grass the truck can't get moving and needs a push to get goingg. I switched out the spur and pinion gears to 64t & 29t but made sure they were meshed well. The only thing I can think of with the spur and pinion gears is that maybe I meshed them together to tight. I tried adjusting the differential housing to super tight to loose and in the middle but still the same. I checked the differential and the gears look good but since I can't see inside the gearbox I can't tell what's going on inside.

Also now when I turn on the car and try to move or steer the wheels turn all the way to the right and are moving irrationally. Then the last time I turning it on it was behind twice constantly with blinking green. I'm pretty sure my battery is low so that could be it.

Any help would be appreciated. Also would like to know what ESC upgrade, or any upgrades would be best for the 64t/29t setup at a decent price.

Thank you
Old 04-11-2018, 07:13 AM
Igottabeme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like you are experiencing cogging. The motor is cogging (stuttering) causing things to rattle and sound like skipping. Your pinion is too big the motor is struggling because of too much intial load on startup. Your pinion/spur gear mesh could be too tight as well making the problem even worse. Drop down to a 24t or even a 21t pinion and see how it runs it maybe slower but it will run from start to finish alot better. Grass is the enemy of alot of rcs if the grass is above the chassis let alone almost or above the wheels you can tell its going to struggle before it gets started. Running on pavement and running on grass are two different animals. Try running yourself through grass over your knees and see how you feel. Think of your gearing like the gears on a multi-speed (geared) bike. The bigger the gear on the back wheel of the bike the harder it is to turn.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 04-11-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:37 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Igottabeme View Post
Sounds like you are experiencing cogging. The motor is cogging (stuttering) causing things to rattle and sound like skipping. Your pinion is too big the motor is struggling because of too much intial load on startup. Your pinion/spur gear mesh could be too tight as well making the problem even worse. Drop down to a 24t or even a 21t pinion and see how it runs it maybe slower but it will run from start to finish alot better. Grass is the enemy of alot of rcs if the grass is above the chassis let alone almost or above the wheels you can tell its going to struggle before it gets started. Running on pavement and running on grass are two different animals. Try running yourself through grass over your knees and see how you feel. Think of your gearing like the gears on a multi-speed (geared) bike. The bigger the gear on the back wheel of the bike the harder it is to turn.
I know what you were trying to say, it just came out backwards I believe.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Lucoferon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks I'll give that a try and let you know
Old 04-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Igottabeme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
I know what you were trying to say, it just came out backwards I believe.
Yea but I think he got the gist of it.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 04-11-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:57 AM
bada61265

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

your gear ration stock is 4.2/1 and you went to a 2.2/1 thats a huge jump. i would say you might be about 9 teeth over the sweet spot. i run a 15 on a 47 3.1/1 , imo close to the sweet spot for normal 3 s bashing on and off the road. to be there you might want to back it down to a 19 or 20 pinion. unless your staying on the street looking for a speed run, but seriously i agree your geared too high for regular use or off road.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:30 PM
Lucoferon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So got a pinion gear with 24t but it ended up being too small. Is there a certain size I need to look for? And what pitch do I need. I'm using Redcat Racing Steel Spur Gear, 64T, .6 Module: Tornado, Volcano, RER03113.
​Any suggestions that are relatively inexpensive would be great.
A little ofoff top but was curious if anyone has a solution to the wheels wobble issue or the steering linkage on the blackout xte pro. I just can't seem to get my wheels to line up the same when turning from one direction to the other. It's always off by just a little bit.
also any suggestions on some good tires relatively inexpensive would be great

Thanks
Old 04-15-2018, 09:56 PM
seedygreenute

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First we have to work out what model you have .
1st post says Blackout ... which has a 55 Tooth spur with Mod .8 pitch .
Now you say you have Volcano gears ... 64 Tooth Mod .6 .
You cant mix the gear pitch . It wont mesh properly .
Old 04-16-2018, 05:32 PM
Lucoferon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the blackout xte pro but the upgrade options are limited or so I have read. I couple of videos I saw suggested using the Volcano spur gear because there is only a small modification needed to make it work so I went with that.