Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

TR-MT10e troubleshoot help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:05 AM
Jhil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TR-MT10e troubleshoot help

Okay so I'm new to the world of RC. After purchasing a truck for my son, I had so much fun with his I decided to buy one of my own! I've had the TR-MT10e for only a few days now and have taken it out several times. Noticed yesterday as I brought the truck around to me there was a loud clicking sound coming from near the pinion/Spur gear area. I'm not noticing anything stuck between the teeth of the spur gear and no major chips or wear on either gear. However I notice that when I push the truck forward it will roll a few inches and want to lock up, and when it breaks free is when I'm hearing the clicking sound. I plan on tearing it down and diving into my first rc repair by starting with checking the mesh of the gears make sure the motor didn't move on me. Any insight or suggestions on where I should look next would be awesome. Ive researched the issue online but I'm interested in more Team Redcat specific information.

Last edited by Jhil; 04-23-2018 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 04-23-2018, 03:55 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Trying to determine where sound is coming from, is sometimes a chore. Sounds resonate from the gearboxes through the chassis at times; making it hard to pinpoint annoying clicks. If you are sure of the area, where the noise is coming from, then possibly a bearing is the culprit. I would start by taking the motor/pinion gear out of the equation...undo the motor from the mount, and remove from chassis.

I know it's not much help, but now is a good time to get to know the driveline of your truck.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:15 PM
Jhil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started working on it tonight and here is where I'm at with it. I've been able to determine that the locking up (clicking sound I heard) is coming from the front end. I have disassembled the driveshaft and was able to quickly rule out pinion or spur gear. The rear tires have now been freed with no locking at all and even with the driveshaft disconnected the front end is still locking up. The wheels will move several inches before they hit a spot they lock on, and with a little push you can free it up but only a few more rotations and it locks up again. I'll start looking further tomorrow now that I have been able to narrow it down to the front. The next step is I'll check bearings, would a bearing on one side cause the entire front to lock? Or should I be looking at the differential?

Last edited by Jhil; 04-23-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:58 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

More than likely a worn out bearing will not be enough to cause something to be so far outta alignment. Now, if you had a blown bearing...that's another story.