Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano Gearing

Old 05-11-2018, 09:42 AM
Incloud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Volcano Gearing

I'm curious of any owners of the Volcano EXP that have upgraded to brushless what gearing you've used? I just got a Volcano and have an GoolRc 3650 3100kv brushless setup coming today along with 2s Lipo 5200MAH. I grabbed a steel Spur/Pinion set that I believe is the stock ratio also. I'm in question about this due to the fact that a lot of videos I've watched where people made this upgrade have very little control or handling with their vehicles. They appear to be too powerful to drive. From reading I've gathered that brushless an entirely different animal and needs to be tamed. I'm just looking for advice as I'm just coming back and research is all I've got.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:55 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are right, and I'm guilty of it myself. People often get too much power. Sure, it's fun going blistering fast, but not so much fun navigating rough off-road terrain while being outta control. Brushless motors are no different than brushed motors in terms of you picking out a motor that best fits your needs. For situations where swapping motors is done, I would suggest investing in an infrared thermometer. That will be your best friend in determining optimum gearing. Don't let motor get over 180F. For my "cushion zone", I try and gear my motors to run around 160F.

If you got a 64T spur gear on the Volcano, I'd probably start with a 22T pinion gear.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Igottabeme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Redcat volcano exp that I converted to brushless. Stock brushed pinion is 17t I suggest run it with stock gearing and see if you want more speed or not then go up on the pinion.

I have some suggestions for which have improved driveability and durability with brushless for me. You may have already done some of this but I thought I would just put it out there.

Ball bearings for the hub carriers
Metal gear servo (then tighten down the servo saver for better tighter steering)
Aluminum front A-arms (normally would not suggest but I have broke too many plastic ones)
Springs in the axle and diff cups (help keep dogbones from popping out front only)
Aluminum hub carriers front and back
Keep a pair of stub axles handy
Check screws for plastic stripped screw holes
Be prepared for bent shock shafts after impacts (aluminum or plastic a arms)
Reinforce the body with gorilla tape or shoe goo

Durablility of the volcano greatly decreases with brushless. They can be a handful to control but simply getting a better servo than stock will help.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Incloud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys I really appreciate your feedback. My order just arrived from Amazon with Brushless set up, Lipos and Charger. I also got a steel spur and pinion that are from what you said stock at 64/17 so at this point that's what I will have to try. I'm looking at the following link to cover carriers and steering in aluminum.

https://www.amazon.com/HobbyPark-Alu...uminum+volcano

They come with ball bearings although who knows what quality. I had a Savage that I swappped out the radio system for Spektrum before ever using it so I took the steering servo from the HPI radio and replaced the stock one. Not sure how much better but I'd believe it's a bit more than the RedCat one. I'll use it until it fails. A-Arms I'll order and keep on hand until the stock break. While I'm going through the the truck installing the new gear I'll go over all the screws. Do you happen to have a link to the springs, axles, and cups that you use. Oh, and possibly the infrared Thermometer for temps. I'll go ahead and order it all tonight. Now I just have to figure out this new charger of mine and be safe using these Lipos. I don't want to burn down my house. Beyond that, hoping all goes well installing my new stuff. I drove the truck yesterday with stock battery and motor and wasn't at all impressed. I tried it again today after getting an overnight charge and it was embarrassingly slow. Not that I expected much for $150 and new I's be going brushless. I'm actually only setting this up to play with my dog. I have a Rampage MT coming this week and my buddy custom fabricates racing motors for NEMA (New England Motocross Association) and is going to port the engine for me and make a tuned pipe. That's where my obsession and focus will be on performance parts more so than this build. Once again, Thanks! I'm going to start building my rig now.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:08 PM
Incloud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
You are right, and I'm guilty of it myself. People often get too much power. Sure, it's fun going blistering fast, but not so much fun navigating rough off-road terrain while being outta control. Brushless motors are no different than brushed motors in terms of you picking out a motor that best fits your needs. For situations where swapping motors is done, I would suggest investing in an infrared thermometer. That will be your best friend in determining optimum gearing. Don't let motor get over 180F. For my "cushion zone", I try and gear my motors to run around 160F.

If you got a 64T spur gear on the Volcano, I'd probably start with a 22T pinion gear.
Speaking of heat and gearing, I am curious while I have the gears open to play with what you guys use for lubricant. I want to be sure they are running as smooth as possible. And I'm also thinking that rebuilding the shocks may be beneficial as they seem to be very constrained and not very fluent.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:55 PM
Igottabeme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Incloud View Post
I'm looking at the following link to cover carriers and steering in aluminum.
https://www.amazon.com/HobbyPark-Aluminum-Steering-Knuckles-Infinitive/dp/B019XWDU70/ref=sr_1_11?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1526093001&sr=1-11&keywords=hobbypark+aluminum+volcano
They come with ball bearings although who knows what quality.
The bearings are junk get different ones.

Do you happen to have a link to the springs, axles, and cups that you use. Oh, and possibly the infrared Thermometer for temps.
Springs (springs from click pens work also) https://www.amainhobbies.com/duratra...xc7337/p642993
Thermometer https://www.harborfreight.com/non-co...ter-93983.html
Axles and shafts https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Dogbones-89-5mm-Redcat-Replacement/dp/B01MSWFEL1/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1526096926&sr=1-2&keywords=volcano+driveshafts

Speaking of heat and gearing, I am curious while I have the gears open to play with what you guys use for lubricant. I want to be sure they are running as smooth as possible. And I'm also thinking that rebuilding the shocks may be beneficial as they seem to be very constrained and not very fluent.
Metal gears are noisy but I don't use anything it justs attracts dirt as long as mesh is good you will be alright. Change the shock oil to whatever wt. you want but i use 30wt because i run off road.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 05-11-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:02 PM
Incloud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Awesome, Thanks! Who makes the best bearings? Right now I'm trying my new charger with Lipos and charging at 5a for Lipo 7.4v to 8.2 I believe. Does that sound right and how long should it take? Confusing right now, sure it's not!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Igottabeme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Awesome, Thanks! Who makes the best bearings? Right now I'm trying my new charger with Lipos and charging at 5a for Lipo 7.4v to 8.2 I believe. Does that sound right and how long should it take? Confusing right now, sure it's not!
I would say Boca for bearings. But I use Fast Eddy and Avid bearings. 2s lipo should charge to 8.4v (maybe slighly less like 8.34v). Charge 1a for every 1000mah (to be safe but you can charge more depends on the battery) example 2500mah charge at 2.5amps. The regular charge cycle will be faster but the balance charge cycle will take longer. How long it will take to charge will depend on how much you depleted the battery.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Incloud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

5a is the highest and my batteries are 5200. One is done and stopped at 8.4v. Pretty straight forward but I'm having a hell of a time getting the drive train apart. The tiny Allen screws won't come loose. I definitely need a tool set for this truck. My HPI set doesn't fit a lot of the screws on this. Tools are key in this hobby for sure.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:21 PM
Igottabeme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I already have a bunch of screwdrivers that work for the screws. But for the allen heads I have been using a set like this https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypower-Sc...ustomerReviews for a while now and they have worked fine for me.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:39 PM
Incloud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Luckily I had a nice set in my shed that worked. They certainly didn't design this for maintenance. I got the spur/pinion in and am happy I got the steel. Putting it back together now. I'd really like to get better screws and such as these are terribly cheap. I feel better getting to know the workings of the tranny now. Everything is going good so far! Looks like an all nighter for me! I'm debating whether or not to use thread lock because I'm bound to be taking apart before long. You have to dismantle the truck for simple changes it seems.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:00 AM
Incloud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whoah! Got it going and it's night and day difference. Didn't go crazy but all seems good. Doesn't feel hot at all after about 10 minutes of opening it up back and forth. What are you suppose to do with the switch? No apparent place to mount it to.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:26 AM
Igottabeme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What are you suppose to do with the switch? No apparent place to mount it to.
I had a esc like that there is not much surface area on the switch for tape to hold so I zip tied it on top of the chassis brace.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:03 AM
Incloud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did the same. Not much to do.