Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

brushless vs gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:50 PM
dclintonh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless vs gas

how fast are the new brushless tornado's compared to the gas ones?
I have a OSpowered tornado xp now that flys but still want somthing faster.
should i go brushless?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 AM
chevyderek72

Default RE: brushless vs gas

Well the brushless is fast but im not sure if its faster than the 2 speed with an os. The nitro is nice because you can run as long as you got gas, and its cheaper to get into. But the brushless is nice because it has instant power and its plug and play. Having both is sweet, ill always have nitro or gas cause i love em, but  i can run the electric at night or when i just wanna run real fast or something.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:47 AM
chevyderek72

Well the brushless is fast but im not sure if its faster than the 2 speed with an os. The nitro is nice because you can run as long as you got gas, and its cheaper to get into. But the brushless is nice because it has instant power and its plug and play. Having both is sweet, ill always have nitro or gas cause i love em, but  i can run the electric at night or when i just wanna run real fast or something.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 AM
robriley

the other advantage with nitro is that you have full engine power until you run out of fuel.
i have no experience with brushless, but assuming that they pretty much work the same as a brushed motor...you gradually loose power as the battery goes dead.
nitro is expensive to buy, but a little lasts a long time.
one thing that i do know for sure when it comes to electric vs nitro, is if you take it and run it somewhere like a park, alot more people will be interested in watching the nitro  over an electric truck for some reason. it's probably because nitro is a bit exotic as compaired to an electric.
i think the majority of people who don't really know r/c, associate electric r/c's as toys (like the ones they buy their kids at wal mart) and gas ones as "professional" r/c's.
either way they're both a blast, but i love my nitro volcano over my brushed electric duratraxx evader.
my evader has a ton of aftermarket parts and it's fast and torquey, but it just isn't as fun to me as running my volcano.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:37 AM
jigawatt

brushless will dominate over nitro.  You can put the best italian or OS engine in your 1/8 buggy or truggy, but the guy with a brushless setup with at least 11.1 volts will have more power and speed on the track.

Electric vs Nitro... bye bye nitro!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGvwpEm2B7g[/youtube]
Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 AM
pede_187

An electric setup properly will dust any nitro. But quite honestly the Redcat system isn't very good.

Heres a video showing a drag race between a Jato 3.3 and a Rustler VXL on 3s lipo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OocodUKp9Tc[/youtube]
Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 AM
guy4x4

An electric setup properly will dust any nitro. But quite honestly the Redcat system isn't very good.
+1 brushless is fast.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:02 PM
rjsdad

Fellas,
I watched both of the videos and I have to admit that the electric rc are fast, but I have to agree with a point that has been stated earlier in this post, technically, battery is running out of power once your start to use it.  With nitro you get the same performance until the tank is empty, there is no fade in the performance.  A plus for the electric would be that the atmospheric temperature changes would not affect the electric RC's as it would the nitro's.  I guess to the electric could be considered fast, but lacks maintaining consistant top speed due to the power source.   
Old 06-23-2009, 02:32 PM
jigawatt

You'd be shocked with battery run time you get with lipo, and the "packs" are only getting better.

You will see more and more manufacturers selling 1/8 buggy and truggy that are electric.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:18 PM
LuD

I really want a 1:8 brushless buggy, but cannot decide what is the best to get... I'm just scared of all this new technology with lithium polymer batteries, voltages and amperage, and the equipment involved...

I just don't know where to start, but it looks much more expensive than nitro...

Old 06-23-2009, 06:14 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

I agree Battery technology Is getting better and electrics are geting very fast. But If you got the dough to spend on a crazy brushles setup and lipos and charger then you must have the coin for a nice NOVAROSSI RX21R1WCS-2008 Long Stroke Kangaroo for a onroad car or a 35plus21LC/WC CORDOBA for a off road buggy, These Nitro motors would send the electrics back to the pits real fast. I think both electrics and nitro have there advantages and and disadvantages. But when it comes down to it they are both fun to drive.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:08 AM
jigawatt

sorry, but there isn't anyone with a nitro engine that could ever compete with someone who has even a decent brushless setup. I can only assume you've never run brushless before, let alone seen them compete at races. Venture over to the electric forums, they have all the info you could ever need if you doubt that you'd get passed by a brushless if you had that particular italian engine... they'll also reassure you that you don't need to spend a lot to smoke any nitro.

The world's fastest rc car is electric, the worlds quickest rc car is electric.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:07 AM
rjsdad

jigawatt,
I don't doubt your claim at all about the fastest or quickest being electric, but to state that there are NO nitro engines that could ever compete with an electric is too bold of a statement...that is like saying that a turbo engine is far superior than a supercharge engine. Nitro and electric each have advantages and disadvantages. Again I like that nirto will give you the same performance until the fuel runs out, and regardless of the cell, the performance will show itself as the battery looses its charge. Good topic and I would like to know manufactures comments.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:18 PM
jigawatt

It's not a bold statement. Buy a decent brushless setup and find out for yourself. The only way you'd lose is if you: can't get up to the front, crash often, can't drive consistently, or if you use low capacity lipos.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 PM
rjsdad

I see your confidence in electric rc has prevented any notion that a nitro rc has more torque which depending on the condition of the track / terrrain would give you an edge. A good example is hill climb, the electric would not fair well in this type of competition. That's why I said your statement is too bold. The edge would be in a nitro rc since the engine would produce more torque.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:47 PM
jigawatt

you honestly think that a nitro engine produces more torque? Now i know you haven't ran a brushless system before. I used to do strictly nitro since I hated brushed motors and the maintenance, used to think the very same way until I gave brushless a shot myself. My nitros are currently being converted to brushless.

I'm in the process of finding what I need to successfully convert my Monsoon XTR.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:48 PM
rjsdad

I just googled what is faster electric or nitro rc and it did state that the fastest rc is held by an electric rc; 134.4 mph was a modified electric car by driver Nic Case who used Team Associated Nitro TC3 Model. Powered by 24 Reedy NiCd batteries, motor spinning at 54,000rpm. It goes on to say that the fastest racing cars in lap races lasting 30 to 60 minuets are the gas powered reacing speeds up to 80 mph.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 PM
jigawatt

sorry but there aren't any gas cars, let alone nitro, turning 80 mph at race tracks.

Nic Case went 161.76, but all the speculation of an error with the radar that didn't glitch... they set it down to 134.4
Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
rjsdad

Just typing what the article said. I will see if I can link it, not to good at this kind of stuff. Regardless, if you disagree with the speed, the statment still says that the nitro are faster in races that last 30-60 min.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
rjsdad

I need to make a correction, it did not state that the nitro rc runs 80 mph on the track, but nirto engines can reach speeds of 80 mph.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:02 PM
jigawatt

thats not even true, anyone who does brushless with lipo will tell you the same. If I was able to rock out 45 minutes with a brushless emaxx on one pack, doing touring car wouldn't be a problem throughout the main. Even if I had to pit for a pack swap, i'd still have all the time saved from not having to pit to do it.

Until you actually go out to buy a brushless setup, run with a good lipo pack, there is no sense in even arguing what you don't know from fact or fiction. It's pointless for me to continue since you are just hunting for statements to backup what you think is right. Go brushless... you'll see what all the hype is about.

Here, no engine could ever have this much torque:

http://www.megamotorusa.com/images/V...shoSTSport.wmv
Old 06-24-2009, 01:24 PM
rjsdad

my points are from review, manufacture, articles published, it is you who seem to think that no nitro can beat any electric rc in any type of race. That statement is not true according to the everything-rc-cars.com. It is pointless, because i at least am taking the advice of professionals opinions, and not my own... jigawatt. Nothing in this world is absolute, so your statement is false my friend. Have a good one.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:27 PM
rjsdad

That video did not display torque, try climbing a steep hill full throttle, that would display the amount of torque.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 PM
jigawatt

your "everything rc cars" website is all opinionated: "But, don’t dismiss electric RC cars either. Although you do need to charge them and they don't go as fast as a nitro car, it also means you don’t have to buy fuel for them. "

that's not a professional, and those certainly aren't facts. lol
Old 06-24-2009, 01:41 PM
rjsdad

Again, I did say that I relied on others that builds, and sells rc. I never did say that one was superior, I did say that each have their good and bad points. It was your blanket statement that electric rc are better than nitro is what led us down this path, which I still strongly disagree with. We can agree to disagree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.