Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

How can I get my Shredder V2 to go slow?

Old 08-23-2019, 09:48 AM
charlesrwest

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How can I get my Shredder V2 to go slow?

Hello!

I'm building a deep learning robot using a Shredder V2 as the base. Overall, I really like the vehicle but I've run into one persistent issue that makes me want to use a different platform if I am going to make more than one of these. I can't get it to go consistently at a walking pace or slower.

I've tried all of the different ESC settings and run into the same issue. If I set the PWM signal too low, then the RC car just stops. It seems to have a floor for how little power it is willing to put out. While this probably makes sense for racing, it's a bit of a problem when you don't want the vehicle to go faster than a quick walk.

My current bandaid for the issue is to cycle the PWM signal slowly with a sine wave so that the motor will engage, disengage, engage, disengage... etc as it moves forward and have more on time when I need it to go faster. This works, but results in a grinding sound and really choppy movement.

If I may ask, does anyone know of a solution that would allow the ESC to run at lower speeds? I'm to the point that I'm considering just undervolting the motors.

Thanks,
Charlie West