Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Larger Wheels/ Tires on Tornado EXP Pro

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Larger Wheels/ Tires on Tornado EXP Pro

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 04:20 AM
kodak_jack

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Larger Wheels/ Tires on Tornado EXP Pro

I bought a Tornado EXP Pro because it was a phenomenal deal (hobby shop going out of business). I think the wheels and tires are just too small. I bought a set of 17MM hex adapters and a set of wheels and tires that are 102MM OD and 42MM wide. It gives me more ground clearance and they look great. I don't want to burn up the ESC, so, what size motor pinion should I put on it? The stock pinion is a 17 tooth brass. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:20 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

With the bigger wheels I would drop down to a 14 - 15T . Pretty sure they are .6 mod .
You will have a lower wheel speed but go further every turn .
I suggest a temp gun , that way you can check what is going on . You may find things are not getting hot and you can increase the pinion .
Where you drive will have an impact also . Driving on grass heats things more than on the road .
Old 03-20-2021, 03:28 PM
kodak_jack

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seedygreenute
With the bigger wheels I would drop down to a 14 - 15T . Pretty sure they are .6 mod .
You will have a lower wheel speed but go further every turn .
I suggest a temp gun , that way you can check what is going on . You may find things are not getting hot and you can increase the pinion .
Where you drive will have an impact also . Driving on grass heats things more than on the road .
Sounds about right. I guess it’ll take a little testing.