Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 10:50 PM
levid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

tommorow make sure you make a post telling everyone if boiling your plastic parts helps or not i think everyone wants to know
Old 01-21-2006, 12:06 AM
trpastor

fo' shure. Let us know
Old 01-21-2006, 08:24 AM
oz_hole

How's your culinary skillz Master Chef? Did the parts float? or did you use a vegetable steamer to keep 'em off the bottom of the pot? What seasonings did ya use?
Old 01-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Xeller8

I used CAVENDERS of course!.....what else is there??..oh yeah...wait...I put just a touch of "Johnnys on the dock" seasoning in too (for you Washington State people) ....LOL!!

Well...the parts DIDN'T float so I was a little concerned about maybe melting some on the bottom of the pan but the boiling action seemed to keep them moving around enough but I still stirred them ocassionally...

I only boiled the stuff for about a 1/2 hour just to be a little safe and conservative and it seems to have made some difference in the flexibility...also...one thing I noticed..and this sounds weird but the boiled parts even make a little different sound when you tap them on a hard surface....the unboiled ones made a little higher pitch and "sharper" sound...weird?..maybe..but if boiling changed the molecular structure of the plastic and made it more flexible and possibly increased the density a bit then it's really NOT so weird....sheesh...I feel like I should be on "Mythbusters"..LOL!

O.K...so...the good news is that mother nature decided to cooperate today and we have some really nice weather right now (sunny and temps in the 50's) so yes...I have finished my break in (about 5 tanks at low and mid speeds with a few blips on the throttle for good measure) and I have started to try and fine tune this thing and run it harder....man does this thing SCREAM!

I am having a little bit of a hard time tuning it right but I'm sure it's probably due to impatience more than anything....the main thing I am having trouble with is getting rid of the initial bogging when I hit the throttle from dead stop to WFO...if I ease into it...no probs....also I have been having a bit of difficulty with top end...there are times it seems to just lay down when it gets close to top speed...also there are times it wants to die when I hit the throttle or it will just die suddenly at idle...these are minor irritants and I'm sure with enough patience (and HELP from people who know more than I do) I will get it tuned right...

I have been running it pretty hard this afternoon and have had no breakages yet...and hey!..I even ran into my foot once and it didn't even break! ...lol....actually I had some pretty hard flips a few times...several cartwheels of varying degrees of intensity both on pavement and off...I spose the only TRUE test to see if the boiling works would be to re-enact the wreck that I had the first time it broke..(hitting the end of that curb)...I thought about this but couldn't bring myself to just DO it!...however...at one point I pretty much DID...same spot...same ending of being on it's top in the street...etc and it seems to be holding up fine...although I don't think I was going QUITE as fast as I was the first time...CLOSE though!

Anyways...I am going back out to run some more before it starts getting colder out...

*Arnold Schwarzenneger voice*...."I'll be back".
Old 01-21-2006, 07:20 PM
skeeterbonez

Hey all just thought id tell you if anyones interested i put a shaft starter on 1/10 scale tornado, it nwas a HPI bolted up no modifying and fairly inexpensive, and its great i really like it alot better,now if i can just get it to run right
Old 01-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Xeller8

HEY...here is a very interesting write up of break in all you guys might want to read...it goes against the normal grain...but this guy is a pro...so check it out!

http://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php
Old 01-21-2006, 09:58 PM
ScottHarp

That sound alot like the way we prep our Pocketbike engines. Hmmmmm, will give that one a try on the .21 I have coming to de-tune the Hurricane for the little tracks.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Xeller8

"Detune"...LOL!!....yeah...it seems as though the 27 may be a bit too much for these buggies eh??

But hey...I think learning to control the massive power these things have will make one HELL of a driver out of anybody that has one!
Old 01-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Xeller8

So...I'm playing around in the shop here working on tuning this thing better and I think I figured out why I can't seem to get a consistant idle....the head gasket is LEAKING!!....noticed it spewing fuel out between the head and the block..

Can anybody tell me if this is a common problem with nitro motors?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:03 AM
rtweet28155

HEY COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE YOU GOT YOUR STARTER AND BACK PLATE FOR YOUR TORNADO AND WHAT MOTOR YOU HAVE I HAVE THE .18
Old 01-22-2006, 12:38 PM
ScottHarp

If you could get to full throttle on this .27 on the little track I have close by it might make you a better driver.

The thing is there is only one place to ever get all the way to full throttle and that is only for 1/2-1 sec MAX. So I figured if I got a smaller engine I would use more throttle and be more under control.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:12 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

I say.. get an extra set of parts. or any spare plastic parts and see when they snap. you can easily do this buy putting your parts in a vise and using a tape measure see how far they bend before they break.. just a thought..
Old 01-22-2006, 02:19 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

if your running the .18 there is a good possibility that you have the 1/10th scale and not the 1/8th.. let me know. thanks.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:04 PM
levid

so i guess the owner of redcat isn't posting anymore reviews or help to anyone else
Old 01-22-2006, 05:44 PM
trpastor

Hey there

For those that are dealers or suppliers ... Please answer this if you have an answer. One of my concerns about these cars are that when the engine gets beat down a bit it is common to rebuild them being they are simple 2 strokes. But does anyone have access to the piston sleeve and cylinder and connecting rod??

Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 06:00 PM
crazyjja

Just bought a volcano stx and blew the engine first time i started it. Can anyone tell me where i can find another engine and how can i tell if it will fit my volcano??
Old 01-22-2006, 06:54 PM
trpastor

How did that happen? Was the throttle locked in full on posistion?

I would take it up to the LHS and take a look. I would guess that if it mounts in the same spots, and the crankshaft ends about the same place it would work out.

I don't own one but (looking at the photos) it looks like there might be an OS or HPI that will fit. Just make sure it's a rotary carb and has side exhaust and lines up pretty well with the previous engine.

Let us know hat you find!

Good luck
Old 01-22-2006, 06:55 PM
trpastor

Oh - Redcat racing has the same Team infinity engines. $109 I think or $119

Old 01-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

trpastor, yes they can be rebuilt pretty easy, but the parts are not available yet. Redcat said mid summer or so for the sleeves and pistons.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Chubbysdad

I believe the .18 is a 10*5 bearing. I went to the local shop and alot of the OS motors will fit. Just what I found out, I am sure there are others.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Chubbysdad

Here is what I experienced with the head gaskets. Its a paper material. The raw fuel that does not get burned, soaks into the gasket and over time weakens it. The hobby shop near me, doesn't use a gasket but I always used a little liquid high temp mopar gasket sealer and never had a problem. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Xeller8

Mine didn't even HAVE a gasket...it was direct metal to metal..

Think I might try some sealant.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:15 PM
trpastor

Hey Chubs - Can you explain further your solution to the gasket? I'm not famliar (and probably others) with the product you recommended. What is it and where can you get it?

Also - dont' you think it would be pretty possible to get a gasket from another engine maker? If I'm remembering right, most of them are made of metal, right? But I guess it is a little softer metal than the engine so it compresses a bit?

Old 01-22-2006, 11:51 PM
jcam54

Hey have'nt checked in a while, I finally got and installed my Futaba radio and servos. Let me tell you that radio is bad-a**
I'm still reading the manual for all the options, trim, sub trim, abs (anti lock braking)... the list goes on.

Trpastor, you were right about the servos not being centered (truck stalling whe brake engaged). Thanks for the help...these new servos s3003 that came with the radio seem to be stronger than factory (engage and respond a lot faster!)

I have'nt ran the truck yet with the new radio, I have only installed and bench tested the electrics. I'll drop a line on how it handles when I can finally run it.

You truck guys, the maxxas T-MAXX shocks (stock and aftermarket) should fit our trucks with a little mod to mounting ( the volcano uses "shockproof ball heads" I would recomend useing a small fine thread srew and lockwasher blot combo to hold it together) I came across this looking at towerhobbies.com compareing shocks and how they are mounted on other trucks. Pro Line has a set of trick shocks with 2 sets of springs and rubber dust covers installed. These are expensive but might help out if you jump alot and bottom out. If anybody else has hoped up their truck let us know what you used and how it worked.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:08 AM
jcam54

Does anyone know where (internet) I can get a good tool set for working on these nitro trucks?

I have noticed that these trucks are more like truggys then trucks, ie the frame and diff. gear box. The only thing that makes it more of a truck is the 8 shocks it has, but it does no have a lot of ground clearnce compared to other trucks. Has anyone else noticed this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.