Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Old 01-07-2006, 06:25 AM
nelsonrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Hello all Im new to the site here and was just noticing all the info, feed back, and questions. My name is Danny and am in the process of building a track in Las Vegas NV and am a dealer for the Red Cat Racing line of R/C cars and trucks. Having been in the industry since 1985 as racer at National level competition, I was very pleased when I got to see and test these products. I am proud to say that these cars and trucks are very versatile for what ever you may do with them. Hobbyist or racer this is an awesome product and the pricing is untouchable. There are a few things that I am working on for upgraded parts and I will post up here as soon as I get them in production. I saw that someone asked about getting parts (suspension arms, steering blocks, ect. I carry and can order parts and have them usually within a couple days. So if you need parts or cars/trucks/buggys you can e-mail me

[email protected] or 702-336-1542.

I am also working on some instruction videos/DVD's on the Basics for First Timers R/C with Repair/Maintinance and a Performance Set-Up for your Red Cat Racing _________________ (Tornado, or Volcano, ect.
If anyone has any suggestions for parts or something that has been a problem for them please contact me and I will add it to my list. Thankyou Danny Nelson
Old 01-08-2006, 10:41 PM
trubeginner

Hey, i am just getting started and just bought my first car, the Tornado XP. When I start it the wheels just start spinning at full speed and I I don't seem to have any control from my radio. This is probably a very elementary problem but I would appreciate any assistance or advice. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:04 AM
ScottHarp

A few things:

Is your radio on? It must be for proper control.

If radio is on, you will need to center your servo. Take off the horn, the thing the arms are attached to. Turn on transmitter and set throttle trim to the center, then turn on you car. Now re-install the control arm.

Now remove the air filter and look in the carb, how far open is the slide with the radio on and you ARE NOT SQUEEZING THE TRIGGER. You should only see about 1/8!QUOT! of gap. If you see more than this you need to unscrew the idle screw some. This screw is the little one in the front on the carb.

If these things do not work and you need further assistance, feel free to e-mail me.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Xeller8

My brother has a powersports dealership and has recently expanded into the world of gas powered R/C cars and trucks with the Redcat line....although they seem to be a pretty decent car for the money...the one thing I would like to give a heads up about is the controllers that are included with them....

Yeah...it is nice to buy a 1/8 Hurricane XP ( I now have one) for almost HALF of what you can buy the Kyoshos that these were copied from and they they say these Redcats are "ready to run"...but...I have to say...the controllers that come with them are merely a token gesture to be able to make the statement "ready to run"...as far as I can tell they are JUNK....this is not a slam...just a fact....we had tons of problems with my nephews (he also has the 1/8 Hurricane XP) and a friend of his has one of the trucks and his controller doesn't work AT ALL...I myself...well...I haven't even tried mine yet...I am going to go get a better controller before I even begin my break in and attempt to tune it...

I would like to reassure everyone who is buying these buggies that they are a pretty darn good car for the money...but I feel the first thing anyone should do is to go get a quality controller first and foremost....I don't think it will be possible to get these things dialed in to top performance properly without a good radio controller...it's highly possible that the included controllers could be at the root of many of the problems I have read about...

Just my opinion...do with it what you will!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

What are you opinions of the hurricaines. I am also a dealer and want to get one. I agree with you on the controllers. I am getting one of those new spectrum controllers so I dont have to deal with frequencies either.
How do the hurricaines run? I have 2 volcanoes now and only sold them and the tornado's. I have had 2 bad controllers already also.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:05 PM
trpastor

Hey Xeller

Thank you for the info. I don't know that this is much different than any RTR really (ofna etc). Although for those reading this at a later date - the smartech's seemed to be much worse a year ago (I saw threads saying they would go about 30ft before they would go out of range) than what they were at the end of 2005 when I got mine. I can take mine at least 130ft before it starts to cut out (maybe further but I know for sure that far). I think as these cars became more popular the electronics got a little better. This may happen on the Himoto's too.

I just got my 1/8 Himoto Torpeda Pro (same as the redcat hurricane XP) and it looks great! I'll post some pics soon and hopefully will have time to break it in tomorrow and give some feedback.

BTW this one comes with the FM radio which may be a little better? I'll let you know on that - although I wasn't sure I was planning on using the radio that came with it anyway

Old 01-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Xeller8

"Chubbysdad"...

Well...like I stated in my previous post...we really haven't run one long enough to make a full evaluation...and I am not even going to bother with MINE until I get a good controller....however...they look like they are built fairly well so I am anxious to get one up and running for a thorough test!

"trpastor"...

You are correct sir....most "ready to run" machines come with pretty cheap controllers...like I said...pretty much just a token gesture to back up their statement of "ready to run"...

I am curious...what is a good controller to pick up at a reasonable price?...I've never bought seperate controllers before...the only other R/C I have is a Kyosho buggy (electric) and it came with the controller..( which has been surprisingly dependable..probably because it is a Futaba)....so I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to buying the electronics....do the controllers come with the receiver or is EVERYTHING sold seperately?....also....am I safe in assuming I could use the existing servos and just change out the controller and receiver?
Old 01-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Chubbysdad

You can buy just a controller but some do come with servo's and receiver. I am in the process of getting one of those spektum controllers, and then I wont have to worry about frequencies.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:27 PM
trpastor

Most of the name brand ones are going to get you going a lot better than the RTR ones especially on these no name ones. They do come with receiver and sometimes servos in cluded but you don't have to get one with servos. They will work just fine.

FM is usually stronger than AM. Unless you're racing I don't think you would need to invest in anything too rich. I would learn as you go and get what fits your budget. Then at least you will know what you're paying for when you buy an expensive one.

I'd also looked used on ebay or in the classifieds as the radio/recievers usually go for about 1/2 once used.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Xeller8

Well....I could budget for just about anything....but for now just starting out I am thinking in the range of 150-200 dollars...is that too cheap??...will I get anything GOOD in that price range?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:26 PM
trpastor

Oh yeah! You can get all but close to the best for that much I would think. I'm made do with cheaper personally.

If you go with something like HiTec you should be able to get one that you can program in several of your cars. So you can switch frequencies without changing crystals.

I would go to the radio forum here and ask them what they would recommend in that price range - and then check for it on ebay if you're willing to buy used.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Chubbysdad

Just got the spektrum on ebay for 177 and it goes for 249 in stores. Brand new sealed.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Xeller8

ORIGINAL: chubbysdad

Just got the spektrum on ebay for 177 and it goes for 249 in stores. Brand new sealed.

Did that come with a receiver too?
Old 01-11-2006, 03:10 AM
nelsonrc

Hey guys I have tinkered with the radios and found that the Airtronics transmitters will operate with the stock RTR recievers just be sure to buy an AM 27Mhz Airtronics. This way you can use the same transmitter for other cars, assuming you buy it with a receiver and a transmitter with multi-car programability. Usually you can find them for $150- 200. On both all of my RTR, Volcano, Tornado, RC10 GT, RC10 T4 the servos are slow for the steering in particular. What I did was put a rechargeable NM-HD in the cars for the radio gear giving you 6 volts having more torque and much faster. BTW the same hump pack fits the RC10 GT's fits the Volcano and Tornado. The steering servos I still felt the need to replace with something around 75 Oz. of torque and .15 @ 60 deg. I have also had a little bit of slop with the servo savers and found that if you take it out of the car you can hold the extra length of shaft with small pliers or needlenose and tighten the nut.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:14 AM
nelsonrc

Ok heres a better idea. Just put an aftermarket servo-saver arm on yopur servo and crank the nut down all the way. I havent done this yet on my red cat cars but I do have it on another car.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:11 AM
synergism721

WoW! I just purchased the Tornado 27 and Torpeda 21 after being out of RC for 12 years and was afraid I made a mistake. So glad I stumbled on this thread. I did a little research and believe that the parts are manufactured in the same plant as Kyosho's. All the bashing had me worried till I realized it as xenophobia (look it up) from brand loyalists who probably recognize now that they could have paid less. My only mistake was not buying three through Redcat so I could deal 'em.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:41 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: oonoiroo

They say it's actually not bad.
Every RCmag and reveiw say that the cars are "SUPER!" I think they get bonuses to say that type of stuff because I know that run into some major problems. Most of them lie, yea its the sad truth.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:36 PM
RC_god75

does anyone know the original tuning of the volcano STX .18 engine. It started for me the first two times then after that nothing works. The fuel comes out of the exhaust pipe. Which of the screws control what??? the manual for this truck sucks and doesn't show anything. I am so lost I am ready to throw it away and buy a Ofna LX ultra comp. Can I get some help please!!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:56 PM
dbogusz

ive never even heard of redcat racing...im buying my first car and people say go with brand names....is the redcatracing vulcano worth buying...can you buy hop-upos at local hobby stores?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:03 PM
ScottHarp

RC -- gimme a shout via e-mail and I can get you my shop number. We sell these and can help you out. We are in Trussville, Alabama.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:07 PM
ScottHarp

dbog -- We are currently matching up parts that will fit. Any .18 engine will fit in the truck. And the pipe that goes with it will too.

As far as upgrade parts we are working on that as well. Seeing as these are very new to the market it will take us a little time to get all the particulars.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:15 AM
nelsonrc

Hey RC GOD Change your glow plug and turn the low idle mixture screw in clockwise. Thats the screw that is in the center of the carb rotorary arm. The head of the screw should be just about even with the bevel inside the sleeve around it. Once the engine is tuned correctly you should have no problems. All the Red Cat Racing Engines I have tuned 16, 18, have broken in at 5 tanks of fuel and have been able to have more power than the car or truck can handle. They all seem to run around 220-230 deg as well with
20 percent power mix not racing mix fuel.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:01 AM
camshaftprelube

I have broken a front and rear a-arm, and a rear hub on my tornado XP. It shows in the manual that there are upgrades for these, but my dealer says they aren't available (yet). Any insight on this?
Are there parts from another car that will fit?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:06 AM
tashspop

i know this thread is for the buggy, but anybody used the truck yet? the vid looks awsome and i was wondering if the truck is as fast and fun as the vid makes it look. my dad is wanting something cheap to start out with and i may suggest these. also, about the size, is it about like an associate mt2 or bigger?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:42 AM
trpastor

Camshaft: I'm not sure about the tornado fitting with others. I think their 1/8th scale are going to be pretty interchanglable with Kyosho (I'll see when I start to break stuff) but the 1/10th scale I guess you would need to look into other 1/10scale stadium truck type vechicles. I would just take it up to you LHS and mess with a copule parts and see if it looks like it would fit.

As far as the trucks - I'm betting they are good but don't know. I'm getting my 1/8th scale broken in and havent' even gotten a chance to run in ANYWHERE near speed yet but I can tell it's gonna fly. It just want's to jump right off the get go.

On the 1/8th buggy does anybody know which screw you turn for the low speed adjustment? It has 2 screws - one on the left side of the engine (where the throttle arm comes in) and one on the right side. I think when I got mine the right side was all the way in but I thought this was an error on their part. I don't see factory settings in the manual except for the main needle. Actually I don't see much abou the lowspeed adj at all in the manual.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.