Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OFFICIAL Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

check out my unofficial thread regarding these products in the forums..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: entity

If you want a nitro something let me know via email..
    Are you a dealer?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

From the way I understand it..(correct me if I am wrong)...Redcat and Himoto are built by the same company just wearing different badges. (?)
    1/8 Redcat Hurricane XP Buggy/.27 motor (4.43cc)/tuned exhaust
    1/10 Redcat Volcano STX truck/.18 motor (3.0cc)/tuned exhaust

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

no.. same companies.. just put your name one them. and yes i'm a dealer of all sorts of rc products.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone happen to be a dealer in Michigan? I dont want to wait for shipping.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The good news is that the LHS had a new throttle servo and a Yank Eliminator starter shaft for a drill. My $130 worth of spare parts has arrived today, so both my rear axle carriers will be new... As I'm attempting to stay positive we won't go into the details of why I've spent about $200 after 20 minutes and 30 seconds of run time.
    For those of you considering buying one of these "starter" trucks I encourage you to take a look at the differences in return policies between these trucks and a name brand. You'll notice a BIG difference in the company's confidence behind the product.

A MAJOR name brand will allow engine trade-ins, even if it's blown.

The second one drop of fuel enters the fuel tank of one of these trucks you can't return them.

The other interesting fact is that on Traxxas' website they describe "extreme cold weather" as being a problem. They also do say that under 45F is cold for plastic, but not extreme. As well, my LHS said that he has never had anyone need parts after running Traxxas trucks in a parking lot in cold weather without a collision...

So if you're looking to get a truck, talk with your LHS owner, spend the extra cash, get a truck with a proven track record and available parts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOO HOO!!

Fedex was just here delivering my parts!!...I ordered them very late Monday night...so in essence the order went in Tuesday morning...basically around 3 1/2 days to get them...not too bad especially when you consider they are moving their warehouse right now...pretty good service if you ask ME...

Now...to fix the damage in that pic I posted the other day it would have cost around 30 bucks...but I ordered doubles of everything so I will have 3 extra front upper control arms and 3 lower front control arms on hand as well...I also ordered 2 sets of wing braces/mounts and an extra glow plug....spent a 100 bucks...

Like I stated previously...I am going to try boiling all of the front end stuff for about an hour or so and see if that helps improve the flexibilty of the plastic...

The thing that sucks is that we've been having temps in the 50's and 60's for about the last 2 weeks but now it has turned cold again and is snowing today...so even once I get this fixed I can't really PLAY right now...UGH!!....well....I guess I can run it around in my shop a bit to finish breaking it in (I own a Body Shop in case anyone was wondering)...

So...once I get this fixed and finish break in I can really start to run this buggy through the ringer...see what she can take and give some reports.

"oz hole"

Sorry to hear about the bad luck you and others are having with the trucks...be patient...I'm sure Redcat will make it right with you and I'm sure there will be many improvements on the trucks as time goes on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What are you guys mostly running the 1/8th or the 1/10 scale.. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For me...1/8 Buggy..

Yeah..this is suppose to be a truck thread now...but we all know how it goes...the original thread usualy gets the most attention due to ongoing discussions...

The 1/8 buggies seem to be a completely different breed from the trucks and possible even quite different from the 1/10 buggies as well...(as far as how they are built and the materials used in them)

I personally think that this thread should just be turned back into a common thread dealing with ALL the Redcat models as it seems to be getting the most attention anyways...just MY opinion though....what do others think??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To all who read this site i have a new VOLCANO STX 1/10. after a 10 minute session of of riding, cool down time before the next session ,i came to the realization that these trucks are s**t! the engien appears to be a sound running piece of equipment, as for the plastic components well i would not know how to explain that except one simple word .....
    The plastic parts that have broken are difficult to come by in any store... rephrase that impossible to come by. Unless bought online. My broken parts have been many and as they break, well super glue, epoxy and fiber glass are becoming the base structure to this weak*** car, that is not more than 15 day young.

As I watch footage of various RED CAT rc's (trucks) my car whimpers beside me with dreams of 8 foot jumps and such success, as shown on numerous video's on the RED CAT web site. As for me I would like to see a well performing car but have been let down greatly by the quality for a RED CAT rc. if anyone is interested do not buy one.

As for a refund policy or warranty of a growing business it is really dismal, while other manufactures stand behind their product, and spares appear stronger and easily obtainable.

[:@] E.T._2 [sm=punching.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lol.. if you need parts.. let me know. Thanks ronald..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

let me put it this way to anyone here that bought a himoto truck or buggy.. redcat does not make them.. They have been around for a long time.. Now as far as getting parts etc.. let me know.. or call redcat.. up to you.. They do not make this brand of r/c.. I have been selling these since "smartech" changed there name.. Ronald.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For those freaking about getting parts...read back through this thread a bit more thoroughly and you will find out people are doing research and finding that there ARE other brands out there where the parts are interchangable...for example some Traxxas front suspension parts have been found to fit not only the Himotos and Smartechs but the Redcats as well...

There have been several people including "Entity" that have posted that they can get you parts....check with them!

Further more I would also like to ad that you would all be surprised at the number of these types of cars and trucks that are all BUILT by the same MANUFACTURER...they are just "branded" differently and that even includes some of the "Brand names" as well....not EVERY company...Redcat..Traxxas...Kyosho etc..build their OWN products...many manufacturers will contract to several different distributors and allow them to brand them with their own name...hence the interchangability of many parts.

To those of you who have had problems...instead of b!tching and flaming certain companies...do some research...get in touch with and work with your suppliers to help get things going on the road to IMPROVING these products...instead of telling people "do not buy one" why don't you try to be an active part of making these cars...trucks and buggies better......LETS BE CONSTRUCTIVE!!

I realize the frustration some of you may feel with broken stuff but just coming in here to say "my truck/buggy is a piece of sh*t!!" etc...is very counterproductive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have a volcano truck and the pull rope is stuck. Tried pulling the glow plug and turning it over to start it but the pull rope is still stuck. Any one have any other ideas??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is the motor itself stuck??...have you tried turning the fly wheel by hand to make sure the motor isn't locked up??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

most likely the spring or rope is messed up. get yourself a a direct drive to save weight and easier starting.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree, there's a Tiger Drive available, but 3-4 different types for the 6mm engine shaft... (The Tiger Drive will eliminate the need to snake the direct drive through the drive shaft and suspension components.)
    Question is which of those 3-4 is the best choice?

Xeller8:
    Redcat Racing has linked on their website to this forum. I am reporting my breakages so that anyone interested in purchasing one of these trucks can be fully aware of the obvious defects these trucks have in comparison to the buggies. I sincerely wish that I had found this forum before my purchase.

I am not bashing Redcat Racing in any way, just one of the trucks in their line-up.

The parts issue is a different problem. Sure it's great to order 2 extra of everything that may break, but you might as well buy a spare car to rip the parts off of. And if it's a part that you don't have a spare for, then there's the frustration of having to wait for the mail delay...

Redcat Racing has stated that they will be monitoring these forums, so certainly by now they must realize that there is a problem in the design and manufactoring of the trucks they are buying and putting their name on.
    So it is through these public forums that we Volcano STX owners voice our problems, questions and frustrations in order that the public and Redcat Racing may know of the issues surrounding these trucks.

Oz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well. again redcat has not made these vehicles.. and won't. there made in china. by only about two manufactures. So please people.. keep you heads up regarding these machines.. there good. But not that good.. And i must put in my regardes to boiling parts... once you disrupt the chemical properties of the plastic. your in a world of hurt.. Bottome line.. Get replacements.. and dip em in plasticoat or some simple fiberglass. thats the main problem..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"oz hole"

Your feedback is definitely appreciated and is not necessarily looked upon as "bashing"...it's when people just let their tempers flare and say "This truck is a piece of sh*t" etc that is counterproductive...it gets us NO WHERE.....YOU obviously know how to words things properly (tactfully) and still get the point across....when put in the proper context feedback like yours is HELPFUL...

Don't give up hope just yet!

"Entity"

Thanks for the tip...is that based on personal experience through experimentation?...it's not that I am doubting you at all...I'm just curious...

I think I will still try boiling them as an experiment..it's true that when you disrupt the properties of certain materials by altering molecular structure it can be detrimental...seeings how I own a Body Shop I am more than aware of this with many different types of materials ...however...I'm thinking as far as the plastic goes it may disrupt it just enough to be beneficial and make it a bit more flexible...I figure it can't hurt to test the theory a little.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Entity -

How can you say that you will be in a world of hurt by boiling the parts? There are 2 very reputatble companies that put the statement on their website FAQ. Have you tried it directly with this plastic itself? If so then that's different but you didn't give any information as to it.

I would still try it since it can't hurt at this point. Why add weight to the car if you can keep it from happening?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree...I am going to try it tonight...what can it hurt?...it may make them a tad less brittle...who knows?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"trpastor"....Check your P.M's man.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As easily as people are saying they are breaking, I certainly DO NOT think it wil make them more brittle. I'm betting it makes a night and day differece. I'm betting that this plastic is made very strong but inflexible from what I've seen from other makers. I'm betting boiling them will soften it up a bit and allow some bend so it is not snapping once it goes past the point of no return but rather gives s bit.

BTW... I RAN THE HELL out of my 1/8th buggy today. It is running GREAT. I don't own a truck and I can't belive how much trouble most are having with them when I experience the quality that the buggy is.

I jumped it about 20 times off my rounded curb. I was able to usually jump it from the curb to... over the patch of grass, over the sidewalk.. and into the main grass. (so about 8ft). This was on a small curb. The jumping was great.

I adjusted the shocks so that the rear shocks were at ZERO tension with the adjustment ring. I put the front rings down about 1/2" (to tighten them up a bit) and it was jumping very level. When I first was jumpin it it was very nose heavy and softening the back and tightening the front seemed to really cure it.

It also seemed to keep if more flat on the ground on tight turns on rough ground.

Doing the jumps I flipped it SEVERAL times. Probably 12 or more times. All but about 2 times it landed back on it's tires. And these weren't light rolls. One time I cartwheeled it about 6-7 turns over the course of 15+ feet. Another time it flipped end over end over and over. NOTHING BROKE. It is still running like a champ.

I have heard very little negative feedback about the buggies. I don't think ANY on the 1/8th. If you guys want to give a try on another cheap vechile try the 1/8 buggy. You can do a submit offer on ebay for about $230 for the .21 (at least a few weeks ago).

I compared it to the Kyosho mp 7.5 in the LHS and it was just about exactly the same except for the front arms. The plastic looked very similar, the layout was almost identical, the aluminum was the same thickness (ofna uses thicker shocktowers but the Kyosho was the same).

Anyway --- I give this 1/8th buggy a 9 out of 10. There's nothing I can think of off hand that I don't like about them but I hesitate to give a 10 out of 10 rating.

Anyway - I'll keep you posted but so far this thing is great.

I still want to go in and see what parts will fit on it from the 7.5 but the LHS is reluctant to do it. I don't think the front arms will fit but most of the other stuff might.

Later... PS I'll post this in the 1/8th buggy forum too found here....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think what Entity is trying to say that The same manufacturer makes Himoto and Redcat. They just have different labels (for those still wondering about that). No one makes their own (ofna, GS etc.. they all have someone else make them and relablel)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats what I was speculating on.

BTW...I just made control arm stew.....waiting for things to cool down...

Page 8 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast