Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Jas the Ace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Hahaha...you think your anxious...how do you think I feel? I,m like a kid at christmas time and not being able to open the presents untill next christmas!! Lol..
I'm going to try and get to the LHS after work tomorrow, then hopefully get things happenning on the weekend. Time will be spent looking for an 80 series landcruiser to buy, going to the coast minus the boat for a bit of fishing, fighting all the traffic for the Indy, then back home early sunday to avoid post indy traffic, having a bash (hopefully), then kicking back in the lounge with a coloured bottle and watching the indy on tv. I don't follow the Indy to any great extent, but when it comes to a local lad, racing on a local track, the excitement tends to build quite a lot. Go Will Power!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:50 AM
mozzzy_2000

lol yeah I suppose with me I just want you to fuel the engine up and get her going without a hitch. I kinda get nervous when selling second hand goods to people. Not that I'd rip anyone off but yeah you never want any issues to come up. Having said that you shouldn;t have any issues in the first place anyway so I dont know why I even mentioned it!
Ah well anyway enjoy your fish and traffic! lol I plan to get out this weekend for a bash if the weather stays fine. cheers
Old 10-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Jas the Ace

I'd prefer to be smelling the fumes of burnt buggy nitro than having to be doing the other things I basically need to do this weekend. Lately my life has been fulfilling all the "needs" and being able to do the "wants". How's them big events going your way with the nitrobashers mob mozz. They still as crazy as ever?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:02 PM
grizz1

Hey, that's what I like to hear - the guys burning some nitro I got an e-mail from Louie the other day and he is fine, so don't worry. It is still the wet season in his neck of the woods and his bashing area is pretty much still out of action. He said he has been tied up playing a new on-line computer game till the wee small hours on a regular basis. I'm guessing he will be back in due course
Jas - the Indy cars. Ah yes, I should be there mate. Open wheelers, V8 supercars, eye candy for Africa - what a great few days. I will sit in my favourite TV chair with rum in hand and watch for a few hours for sure. I hope the local boy comes through for you guys. Would be a great thing for Aussie motorsport. Our Kiwi lad had a good win in the A1 GP the other day, which was a nice boost for local sports fans here after the World Cup demise (I must stop thinking about that !!!).
Mozzy - I have been running 1.1mm clutch springs in my truggy lately and they sure do make a difference, especialy out of corners. The old girl really gets up and goes with the hook up coming at slighly higher rpm's.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Erik2424

hey again, thanks for the advice with the sevos guys, i cant wait to update my radio system i dont like AM that much..... but money always seems to be an issue,lol.
but i was really bored and wanted to do somthing with my buggy so i built a galvenized steel spoiler for it,lol it looks beast. weighs a crap load but it looks good, and if anything should give me more rear drag.... i have a small problem with nose diving into the ground after a jump. but hey ill get some pics on here eventualy. hey grizz, sorry to hear bout that crash, but i bet it was sweet looking, he he. i know i would definately go all out if i didnt have to worry bout getting new parts, but that will change when i finish building my new ramps. ok im out guys, ill be back soon.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Jas the Ace

Hey grizz, did you know the kiwi's have entered a team in the Tri nations beach cricket this year? Maybe you guys could take the trophy for that from the defending champs England!!

So these 1.1mm clutch springs are pretty good out of corners hey? A big punch of power in the right rev range, I will see what I can get at my local. Geez am I anxious to unleash this thing...
Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 AM
mozzzy_2000

Hey Jas yeah its been pretty quiet on the bash scene of late due really to the weather being foul but its been fining up considerably in recent weeks so I am sure there will be some of huge mega bashes on. In the interim I plan to get out for a bash on Sunday weather permitting that is.
Hey grizz so you got an email from Louis hey? well lucky you lol! jk Hey if he's stuck in a multiplayer game my money would be on halo 3! haha man that can be consuming to say the least! Hey that reminds me; do any of you guys have an Xbox 360? Love to get some contacts on xbox live happening.
Erik you should flick us a pic. Love to see that spoiler! Saw a wicked mod that someone did to there hyper 7. It had like a steel wrap around bullbar. So it had struts down the sides, all around. Look way cool. Bet it was heavy but it would have turned it into a mega bashing beast! lol
With the nose diving after jumping issue make sure that your brakes are completely slackend when you're car is in neutral and make sure that when you are in the air that your are not applying the brakes before you actually hit the ground. That would obviously cause a nose dive.
Jas with your clutch I would go for 1.1mm springs and carbon and/or composite shoes or use 1mm springs with alloy shoes. I find 1.1mm and alloy shoes to be a bit much for my liking. I hate mainting alloy shoes to be honest so I've always successfully stuck with composites. But in any case using the 1.1mm springs is the way to go I reckon for most surfaces. Like grizz said it really allows the engine to spool up before the clutch engages. I also find it allows you to rev the engine somewhat without it moving. I suppose you could liken it to reving your car engine before dropping the clutch. lol! disclaimer:something I dont endorse! lol
And sport lets not go there. Had sooo much sport in the news recently it aint funny. Anyway fellas have a good one and Jas, unleash that beast! lol
Old 10-19-2007, 03:02 PM
grizz1

I'm getting all excited over here just waiting to hear how it goes and maybe see and hear it on video !!! Yeah mate, try those 1.1mm springs. If they don't suit it's not a biggy to go back to 1.0mm, but I think they will suit that more powerful engine really well. Can't chat long this morning. Got to do some water blasting around the house, then head off to the track (while it's still there) and have a thrash. It's buggy day today, as I'm still waiting for that brace for my XUT - should be fun. [8D]
Old 10-20-2007, 01:04 PM
bocajrs

Hello,

Just upgraded servo to BlueBird 620MG. Can anyone tell me if this hump pack (Ofna 5-Cell 6V Hump Pack w/Charger Savage 25 X T-Maxx) will fit the Hurricane Xp? If not, which hump pack with charger is recommended.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:00 AM
mozzzy_2000

yeah mate any 5-cell 6V hump pack will do. As long as its a hump pack not a flat pack obviously as it wont fit in the battery box. Also make sure it has the correct connector which i think is a JST style plug.
What is that servo rated at?
Old 10-21-2007, 04:38 AM
grizz1

Hi Guys. Had a geat weekend with the buggy. Iv'e been pretty full on with the truggy over the last few months and actually forgot just how much fun the buggy is to drive and play with. Got into setting my shock angles, oils, springs etc with a really knowledgable guy at the track. We played around with my set up and got the buggy handling really well, especially at high speed over very bumpy ground. It was really loose in the rear before and now it just squats down, stays level and goes. Very interesting couple of days.
With the local public track closing down I am at a bit of a crossroads as to what I want to do with my cars. I was planning on going full out with the truggy (new motor, servos, etc) but being unsure were we will be doing most of our bashing and racing in the near future, I am now not so sure this would be the right thing to do. Plus with the fun I had this weekend with the buggy, maybe I should go full out on that instead [:-] But then ????? Decisions - Decisions.
I think I will just keep my hard earned dollars in the bank until I know what the future holds as regards type of track etc that will become my usual race place. In the mean time I am going to spend most of this summer trying my hand at on-road stuff. My Vision .18 will be great for novice class racing, and should provide hours of fun at a moderate cost, unless I get the on -road bug and go crazy with that [&:] Hey - anything is possible, I just want to play Na, I don't think I will ever be totally converted from dirt, so I will be around the thread for a while yet [8D]

Old 10-21-2007, 09:04 AM
bocajrs

Mozzy..Operating range is 4.8V to 6V
Old 10-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Mercyful Fate

Something still seems to be wrong. No matter how many times or ways I put the thing back together there still is some binding. I've taken the thing apart so many times I think I might be wearing out the screws. I guess everyone can call me a dumb ass. This is one I can not figure out. If you take it apart and clean everything. The basic working is very simple. that is why I'm getting a little pissed at the thing. if there is anything you people can see I'm doing wrong please tell me or there might be a parts car for sell?.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:22 PM
bocajrs

Does anyone know of comparable wheels & tires that will fit Hurricane XP? Link to website would also be appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 10-21-2007, 09:57 PM
grizz1

Mercyful Fate, Don´t despair too much bro, there must be something wrong somewhere that can be fixed. I know this may sound pretty obvious but I have to ask - When you are putting the two sets of gears back into the diff housing are they going back with the centre cut out sections mated together. If not, they might not fit into the housing properly when you screw the diff back together. They will turn when the diff is open, but might not when it is sealed. That is about the only thing I can think of that would jam the internal gears and stop things turning. It was working ok before - yes ?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:32 PM
mozzzy_2000

Cheers bocajrs but I was actually curious as to the torque rating. Ie how strong the servo is. What Kg or Oz rating has it got? The one I use is a 15Kg servo for steering and throttle/breaks. In regards to tyres & wheels, the hurricane will accept any buggy wheel/tyre combination that has 17mm hexes. So proline for example has an excellent and extensive range of suitable wheels & tyres for buggys. Just make sure you dont buy the bigger truggy and MT wheels and tyres.

Mercyful Fate dont panic mate. These issues are common and definately something I have personally encountered on more than one occasion. Is there any chance you can post some pics of the diff as you put it together and at what point it starts binding? Also I didn;t ask as I just assumed but did you replace the main gear with another genuine redcat hurricane main gear? You didn;t just use any main gear did ya? I ask because I found that only the genuine redcat manin gear will fit the diff cup. Despite diffs in 1/8 buggys being virtually identical in overall size, this hurricane diff definately needs genuine parts. I have tried both Hyper 7 & Inferno diff parts with the hurricane diff but they're not compatible.
Anyway all I can suggest is that you take some pics so we might be able to see whats going on. Is there any chance that a part may have gone missing when you took it apart the first time? Actually if you can take a pic, take a pic of the diff unassembled with all the parts lined up in on shot so I can visually see that you have all the correct bits.
How bad is the binding? Does it bind with or without grease/oil in the diff? When you put the diff together, assemble the diff cup half and put the plant gears in so its ready to accept the other half which is the crown gear and the last planet gear. Before you put the two halves together, take the diff cup half and make sure that when you turn the outdrive that the gears inside turn and move feelly. If everything is working those gears should smooth. It has to be all turning smoothly before you put the 2 halves together. Now if that diff cup half is working alright, then the binding is occuring AFTER you put the 2 halves together. If that does indeed occur, then you should be able to trace more easily where the glitch is happening. Unfortunately like a lot of other issues the only way to acertain whats going wrong is to break it down and use a process of elimination. there is no easy way around it other than perhaps taking into a hobby shop and asking them to have a look at the diff for you but I still think that if all the correct parts are there, then is most likely that you are not seating the internal gears properly when you are assembling the diff.

Hey Jas did ya get that engine up and roaring over the weekend?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:51 PM
mozzzy_2000

When you are putting the two sets of gears back into the diff housing are they going back with the centre cut out sections mated together
Hey grizz thats worth mentioning! Sorry I forgot about that but yeah makes sure when you put those internal gears in that the cross bars "mate" up together as Grizz suggested. You'll notice that the 2 gear spindle/rods have a flat spot in the middle. These need to mated correctly or it will definately bind when the diff is tightened up. Its so easy to do/miss and infact its the number one thing I used to do when putting diffs back together myself.
Also once you have a free moving diff, dont forget to fill it up with some quality silicone diff oil. I'd suggest a wt of 10000wt for the centre diff. If you decide to fill the front and rear diffs up as well, and I highly suggest you do, use 5000wt in the front and 3000wt in the rear. Do this and you will turn the hurricane into a completely different beast and it will handle like a completely different vehicle.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 PM
bocajrs

Hello,
I was checking glow plug and noticed it was black all the way around.

I have ran through 6 tanks of fuel, and made one small turn to HSN. Is it running too rich, lean?

Thanks,
Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
grizz1

Hi bocajrs, The glow plug on your engine will be a little black due to the rich settings from the factory for run in. You need to run the engine fairly rich during the break in period, then you can start to lean it out 1 hour at a time on the HSN as you run a few more tanks through it. Everyone has a slightly different idea on run in time etc, but I normally start leaning my engines out after 12 tanks of careful rich running, not having gone near wide open throttle, just doing figure of eights and varying the revs up and down continuously.
After 12 tanks I lean the HSN out to achieve peak performance over the next 4 - 6 tanks, setting LSN at the same time. When you start leaning the engine out you should replace the original glow plug as the overly rich running during break in normally kills the plug to some extent. A new plug will give you better performance and easier starting. When tuned correctly the glow plug should be a light brownish colour on the bottom with the filament a silvery/white colour. The bottom of the plug should also be a little moist when you remove it. If it is burnt dry and there is any distortion of the filament then you are running too lean.
There are some good articles on tuning and glow plug reading out there on the web, just Google them up [8D]
Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 PM
bocajrs

Thanks grizz..i will probably run 3 more tanks and then start leaning out..
Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 PM
grizz1

No worries. I will track down some of those web sites from my favourites folder and send the links to you. I will probably send you a personal message with the links as some of them are from sites outside of RC Universe, and we cannot post links to outside forums on these pages.
Remember when you are leaning or richening needles to only adjust small amounts at a time ( if the top of the needle was a clock face, adjust in 1 hour amounts) otherwise you can chase your tail around all day trying to get things running correctly. You will notice a huge increase in power and performance as you lean the HSN out. When you get it set right you will be impressed !!! Just make sure you always have a good trail of exhaust smoke right through the rev range, and that the engine in not ¨running on¨ on over run as you come off the throttle (a tell tale sign that things are getting a little too lean and temps are getting too high). Have FUN
Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 PM
mozzzy_2000

Hey grizz that was some very well written advice you gave there! Very concise and to the point. This is pretty much exactly the way I run in an engine too and so far its worked for me flawlessly.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 PM
dtsn280z

In response to your tire question... I just used these guys. They have a great selection and the prices are right. My neighbors pitbull ran down my car and I got in a tug of war with him. LOL. I got the black wheels with the mohawks. They were like $20.00 shipped. Also you can get 50 feet of fuel line for $10.00. Fast shipping too.

http://stores.ebay.com/Supra-Sales

Can't beat that HUH?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:46 PM
DJack

just looked at that site. Whats with this chasis??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Old 10-22-2007, 10:52 PM
dtsn280z

I saw that.. Not sure, but it looks like a durable roller. They respond pretty fast to questions through email though. I'm sure they can give an idea what engine will go on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.