Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Jas the Ace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Hi team....

TTR I have a basic answer although it is not a perfect fix for your shell. But with a crack in the plastic I would simply drill a small hole at the end of the crack, (the hole or circle will help prevent the crack from travelling further), then use something like masking tape, sticky tape, or even race tape, to cover the crack (on the inside of the shell of course) this will hold the shell together and still flex as per normal, but it wont let the seperated bits of plastic to work against each other....I hope you can make sense of that, [&:]
That theory is also commonly used in glass, for example, a crack in a car windscreen can be prevented from spreading by simply drilling a hole at the end of the crack, (with the right tools of course).
Worth a try, and it is a lot easier and lighter and more flexible than trying to fibre glass it. And as you mentioned there could be the risk of some form of reaction between chemicals and plastics when fibreglassing.

Great topic on the glueing of tyres to rims, I was told to put a couple spots of glue around the beads of the tyres and then fit them, which was a bit tricky and not to reliable. But in reading the previous posts I have now realised I have been doing it all wrong. [:-] In future I will do as what I think is how I read it, fit the tyre to the rim, then run the glue around the outside of the beads!! That will also make it a lot easier to remove the tyre and fit a new one when needed! Rocket science is so simple when I look at it, hehe...

Grizz..I bet you felt like a goose on the day of your podium finish [:@] hehe......I guess you could compare that to hitting a hole in one on a par 4 and there was no one around to witness it

Have fun team....

If ya didn't break it, ya didn't take it!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Redcat_Mike

TTR : Shoe goo will work to fix cracks in bodies. You can buy it here in the states at any of the big stores like target or walmart and the like. Just put a good amount of it on the cracked section and give it a full day to dry. It will look dry sooner than that but the longer you wait the better the fix will be.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:56 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just throw the cracked bodies out, nothing ever seems to stick to lexan and always ends up breaking plus it gives a good reason to buy a new body!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 AM
TTR_EB4

hahahaha, nice one ehroof, nah ive asked for alot of money latly $167 AUS, in a month, i think i might let the det die down before i ask for more money lol, i found the camera ill put a pic up of the car, no body though because its getting fixed, ive cut out a bit of plastic and glued it on the inside with selastic, hopefully it works.

TTR_EB4
Old 03-19-2008, 03:38 AM
TTR_EB4

heres the pics,

TTR_EB4, keep burning that nitro..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35273.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	907511   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42903.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	907512  
Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 AM
ehroof

nice bro, looks great
Old 03-20-2008, 02:45 AM
TTR_EB4

hi guys, plastic and selastic didnt work[:@] BUT i made a little piece of alliminium in the shape of the front, painted it then pop rivited it on, and it worked, nice and strong.
I bought a MG995 servo last night it should get here next week somtime, hopefully before next saturday (race day).
well hope everyones good and have a good easter.

TTR_EB4
Old 03-20-2008, 02:55 AM
TTR_EB4

heres some pics of the front piece i made.

Name:	Ig13006.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	908336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90462.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	908337  
Old 03-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Frank_514

Hi Buggy lover!
I put some Road Rage tires on my Hiroda GH-4 buggy , to be able to drive safe on dry pavement. After a wile, one rear tire unbound from the rim and a peace of foam went out. There I realised that the 2 rear tire have some kind of uneven wear (see photo) and they had a cut in the middle. The affected area on one tire is about 1.5 inch diameter and in a oval shape. The other tire is about 1/3 of the circumference in the center of the tire. I was thinking about unbalance wheel but, the cut in the tire I can’t explain.

Got a clue?

See Yaa!
Frank_514

Name:	Db84995.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	908705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31002.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	908706   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26309.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	908707  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:03 PM
firebird78

nice looking buggy ttr....good luck on sunday..have a blast....hope you do well....were the heck is euphorik??..I hope he and his is well and doing fine...just hanging out here grizz..hope you and urs is fine...yall have a blast with ur buggies
Old 03-20-2008, 06:11 PM
TTR_EB4

thanks firebird,
Frank514 i think you may have ran over a rock or anyother hard objects, well thats just my opinion, im sure everyone else will post theirs.

TTR_EB4
Old 03-22-2008, 10:02 PM
grizz1

Hi everyone, bit quite here lately.
Frank_514, I agree with TTR, looks like you ran over something sharp there. If the tyres are wearing unevenly you may need to adjust the rear camber links to set the negative camber on the rear wheels so they run at the right angle and wear in the centre, not off to one side or the other.
Pretty quite down my way. Lots of work and not too much play this last week or so. Just been cleaning up my on-roader for the last race of summer this Wednesday night [&o]. Our daylight savings stops next week so the evening race meetings will not start again until October. Racing buggy at my local track this Sunday which will be cool. Hey euphoric, you still basking in that Hawaii sun mate ??
Jas The Ace, whats happening with you bro ?? I´m guessing your fishing, fishing, fishing. Where is Mozzy and Louis ???? They both seem to have drifted off somewhere. Later, grizz [8D]
Old 03-22-2008, 10:41 PM
firebird78

all work an no play makes grizzy a dull boy...lol...good luck with ur buggy... got to run my lighning and my hurricane this week..I'm going to be needing new tires fer the lightning already..lol...done smoked these ones off pretty good..lol..I prolly ran 10 tanks out of it thursday night,,...was chasing cars down the street as they were passing by...can catch em in no time flat.actually ran under a friends pick up..lol..had a really good time with my hurricane today..prolly ran 5 tanks through it...weekend of hurricane drivin is cut short by yet another steering servo..lol...its always somethin it seems..anyways ya that race keep me on the upte up on how ur doin...euphorik I hope all is well with you...say hey sometime..lol
Old 03-22-2008, 11:56 PM
grizz1

Hey firebird78 - check your servo saver and make sure it is not done up too tight. You shouldn't be killing servos all the time, that can become expensive in a hurry.
Yeah - those tyres don't last long on the on-roaders eh [>:] So much power, so little weight - I love it Are you using foams ? I have been running GRP foams on my beast. 26 mm wide 37 shore (hardness) on the front, and softer 30 mm wide 35 shore on the rear for more traction. Seems to be a good combo for my car on the black asphalt I run on.
When I am just thrashing and power sliding around my street I have an old set of 40 shore front and rear tyres that I use. Less traction and plenty of tail out four wheel drifting - yahoo !!!

P.S. Grizz hopes all this hard work and less play is going to get him a new 1/10 on-roader to build up over winter [:-] that's his theory anyway and he's sticking to it !!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 12:07 AM
firebird78

well with the servos I bought a used jr unit...not quite sure on how old it was but looked excellent when I got it..so dont know the abuse the srvo went through if any...and then it was the stock servo the buggy came with...and from what I gather from my short time in the hobby is that rtr electronics arent the best..lol...as far as my onroader goes im runnin the stock tires..lol..the are pretty durn soft and did give pretty good traction..but me and my lead finger wanting to slide it sideways and do donuts everytime I turned around kinda chewed em up..lol..I really like the stockies...
Old 03-23-2008, 12:17 AM
grizz1

OK. The stock tyres on my Vision lasted about 4 days of abuse. The foams were actually cheaper than getting original GS stock tyres and they last heaps longer. If you want to hang it out, get some 42 or 45 shore foams all around. You will get similar results (ie, not much traction and plenty of action) but the harder foams will last probably 20 tanks or more before they are down to the rims.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Jas the Ace

Hi team, I'm still around. Yes grizz, fishing is the main topic for me at the moment....Not doing much of it either though![&o] Went out last weekend down in the broadwater just up from Seaworld, we put 6 crabpots in and fished for 3 days. Took home 9 fish, 2 crabs and we came home with one crab pot less, possibly the float was hit by a boat prop...oh well thats fishing. Time to hit the lower Moreton Bay for a few small snapper as they are coming in now for a bit of love making. Been watching a few DVD's, one was showing some snapper fishing in your land grizz, it reminded me of one of my visits over there and makes me want to go back to hook into a few!!
Just listening to my scanner at the moment...police are all over the place tracking down 3 people who held up a petrol station.

Well enough of my dribble on life....by the way my mate set his servo saver, he said he had to back it right off....fully...and it is steering a lot better. I think he may have other problems as he said he changed his front camber and toe a great deal to. I advised him to be checking for bent parts, but, he is not one to listen, so I will leave it up to him to sort out himself.
I will be back in the bash arena soon, I just need five minutes to pull out and clean up my one way bearing on the M/T so I can start the motor at least, and I also am going to buy a 12v dry cell battery with charger for about $30au for the starter box for my buggy so I can get it running my new (run in) Italian engine to full potential screaming noises.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:23 PM
TTR_EB4

hey guys,
Jas The Ace: The snapper comp was on this weekend in whyalla (where i live) lots of people were their, but im soon to find out what was the biggest snapper someone caught this weekend, ill let you know.

Grizz: Are the GQ Hammer tyres good? those are the tyres i got.

Firebird: I bought that MG995 servo, its a cheapee but it might be good, ill let you know if its good or not , should get here tomorrow, if they are good i think the price might go up a bit.

TTR_EB4
Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Frank_514

Ok ,
it’s a early Easter and I have a few day off!

I'm working on a transportation case for my buggy! I want something that will include everything I need: “Portable Work Shop” and "Storage and Carrying Case” all in one. I used second hand material except for “fasteners” (pop-rivet/glue).
I will put tool box rail to make the car jack operate smooth and a rotary plate so I can rotate the buggy and I want to use a kind of Cleco system to hold the buggy on the plate for transportation and engine run! and add a pipe to put the exhaust away . The space on the 2 inch cover will be use for the tools and parts on a black foam and transparent pills plactic container. I will cover all the inside with black foam .
I build a compartment on the rear side of the box, between the wheel bin. I will probably use it like a battery pack area. The Spare wheel on each side side. …….

See Yaa!
Frank_514

Name:	Mk26198.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	911819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99058.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	911820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86875.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	911821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73886.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	911822  
Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Jas the Ace

Nice size box you have there. It always makes the day more enjoyable when things are organised and easily accessed when required. Heaps of room for spare parts and screw trays to. Well done mate.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:58 AM
grizz1

Jas - Good luck with the fishing mate. The fishing over here is really going off at the moment. We have had a long hot (for us) dry spell and the water temps are up. The keen fishos have been launching 16 - 18 ft boats off the surf beaches a few miles from my place, and are catching marlin and yellowfin tuna about 16 km offshore in one of the warm currents that come in close to our west coast this time of year.

Hey TTR - the GQ Hammers are awesome mate. That is what I am currently running on both my cars and they perform really well, but the best part is they last, and last, and last.
There is a new brand of tyre just released here called a VP Pro. They are really good too, and very well priced. A full set of 4 x buggy tyres and rims, factory glued are selling for NZ$69 which is abouot AUS$60. That is really good value for race tyres and rims.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 AM
StephenW

What would some good mods for a hurricane be except for the electronics cause i already no that? Is the exhaust setup pretty good or should i go with a JP? Links would be greatly apreciated
Old 03-24-2008, 04:49 PM
grizz1

Hi StephenW, Changing the pipe can make a huge difference in performance if you pick the right pipe. The JP series are wonderful pipes. I would be tempted to try the JP-3 pipe, as it is designed as a blend of the JP-1 and JP-2 pipes combined. The JP-3 gives great all round performance. What engine is in your Hurricane (they come out with different engines depending where in the world you live).
Have you changed the diff oils in your buggy ? This can also make a huge difference in handling and performance by getting more power to the ground were and when it is needed. Different diff set ups suit different conditions. Here is a good article to check out. Set up your diffs as described for the conditions you run http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=24&page=1
If you haven't changed the diff oils before don't be daunted by it. It is actually easy, just takes a little time, but the results are well worth it. Try Front 5 - Centre 7 - Rear 2 as a starting point. This works well for most situations, especially if you mainly just bash most of the time.
Good tyres also make a difference. Spending a little extra on decent race tyres will give you much better handling.
You may want to upgrade a few plastic parts to alloy for extra strength. Things like hinge pin holders etc, that take a bit of a pounding.
You can also make some changes to suspension settings and shock oils / springs for better performance. This gets quite complicated and basically comes down to trial and error, or copying someone elses settings that work well on the same track or surface you run.
Have fun [8D]
Old 03-24-2008, 06:14 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: StephenW

What would some good mods for a hurricane be except for the electronics cause i already no that? Is the exhaust setup pretty good or should i go with a JP? Links would be greatly apreciated

like I said in ur other post...you can run front axles on the rear which will allow u to ditch the dogbones on the rear...dont bother purchasing kyosho hubs or axles cause the dont fit right...still working on them will keep yall posted...he has the sh.28p3 grizz....first off get with Dennis at clermont and get u a p3 mod...these things run like cats on fire with it...
Old 03-24-2008, 07:05 PM
UdLose74

what kind of front bumper is that and where did you get it? looks like alot of protection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.