Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:51 AM
TThib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

I got the Kyosho wing mount in today. It is going to require just a bit of Dremel work to widen up the lower mounting position, not a real big deal. A couple of things I did notice is that it's a solid piece (not machined out in the center like the redcats) and that the plastic is MUCH more flexible. I think this will be a nice upgrade and may reduce breakage in the future.

I'll post a pic when I get it modified and mounted.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:05 PM
TThib

Got the wing stays all modified and mounted. Minor dremel work to get them to fit. They are Kyosho Inferno wing stay (IF121). I think they are just a tad shorter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54598.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	916738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99529.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	916739  
Old 03-30-2008, 05:39 AM
TTR_EB4

hey guys, i just found out the Hyper 7 aint a PBS its a PCR pro kit.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Jas the Ace

Please forgive me for asking, but "PCR" and "PBS"...These are terms I am not familiar with, what do they stand for? [sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 03-30-2008, 07:40 PM
grizz1

I´d like to know that as well Jas [&:]
Good to see your helping to save the planet mate. I did my bit at the weekend by blasting 15 tanks of nitro fumes into the atmosphere [:-] - not !!! Hey somebody has to do it.
Great days racing at our home track. We are hosting the North Is Champs in a few weeks, so the track is looking good with a lot of preparation going in. I raced both truggy and buggy on Sunday for the first time on the same day. Not much spare time to scratch your b-m when your running both, but the comparison was interesting. I tend to like the buggy more. It´s a little faster, much more nimble, and I seem to be able to put it in the right place on the track better. Definitely suits a smoother track, but it is real quick when you get into the groove. The GS CL-1 and Turbo Go Tech .21 5 Port combo is sweet, and just as quick as anything else on the track (when I drive it properly !!) We had OS V-Spec, Novarossi, Ninja engines running and nothing pulled away from it on the straight [>:]
Old 03-31-2008, 04:35 AM
TTR_EB4

Hyper 7 PBS (Pivit ball suspension)
Hyper 7 PCR (Peter Colemen Racing Edition)

oh yer and race day it was fine in the morning but then it was our 3rd race and it was fine when we started, about 3mins into the race, it started poring down, the track was that muddy most of the guys racing blew their diffs, clutches everything, i reckon my car weighed 5 kilos heavier
This week there is another race, Interclub racing, people are coming down from adelaide to race at our track (Night racing) then in june we have to go up to adelaide to race interclub up their. so yer
and ill put a link up to a video on youtube of last years interclub at our track.[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cldJAwsNaHA]Click here[/link] and by the way the person in the orange hat watering the track is one of my teachers lol.

ENJOY!!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 AM
Jas the Ace

Great vids mate, keep them coming... looks like a pretty tricky circuit aswell.

Yeah I with you grizz, burn up the atmosphere, then when it's gone we don't have to worry about it, hehe, just kidding.
I turned things off simply to satisfy my 9yo daughter and her learning of all this 'green' stuff at school, it was nice to save a bit of power though, good for the hip pocket and the emissions (cough cough) I saved in one hour might have saved that illusive 15kg snappers life that I am going to catch one day [sm=lol.gif]

If we weren't meant to burn our fuel, we wouldn't have it......Burn it up team!!....
Old 03-31-2008, 08:42 PM
grizz1

Nice vid TTR - Tracks and pits look and sound the same the world over eh Just your dirt has a little more red in it than ours !!

OK, so if the Hyper 7 isn't Pivot Ball Suspension, what sort of suspension does the PCR entail. I have Pivot Ball Suspension on my CL-l and I really like it. Strong, efficient and real easy to work on (fast to strip down etc). Just a puff of graphite powder into the ball cups once in a while and its pretty much maintainence free.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:00 AM
TTR_EB4

the PCR has the same, and its reder because we have a pellet plant (one steel) right next to the track
Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Jas the Ace

Hmmm....So PCR and PBS are the same but different? [&:] Is it basically different materials used in manufacture? Is it simply a "hop up" model labelled as something and marketed in your area? In your opinion is one better than the other? If so, in what way is one better? Any info you can share with us is great, especially if there is an advantage between one and another. Open the door...let us in and have a chat with us...tell us what you know. Please tell...that's why we are here, to find out all the secret stuff, . My apoligies to the PCR team if they are someone great. [8D]
Old 04-02-2008, 03:36 AM
TTR_EB4

yer, i dont know much but the PCR is a pro kit, and the PBS is a RTR. sorry i dont know that much about them, dad bought a truggy too, i think the brand is caster racing. ill post a pic of all of them, The TTR, Hyper PCR, and caster racing.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 AM
TTR_EB4

heres the pics, from the left, Hyper PCR, Caster Racing Truggy & Thunder Tiger EB4 S2 PRO.

TTR_eB4
Old 04-02-2008, 03:50 AM
TTR_EB4

MIGHT HELP IF I LOADED THEM !! lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94696.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	919841  
Old 04-02-2008, 04:09 AM
Jas the Ace

Thats ok mate, don't stress on the specs if you aren't sure, at least you do know of different configurations. Looks like you have a great line up joy there to. It's often great to have a bit of variety. Nice little collection, just don't break them all at once,
Enjoy
Old 04-02-2008, 04:58 AM
TTR_EB4

thanks jas, wheres firebird & mozzy latly?? mmmmmm well anyway which car do you think i should race for this saturdays interclub, there are x2 5 minute qualifiing and x2 20 minute finals, the hyper has a 28 in it (ive have never drove it so i dont know what its like, fuel handling etc) but the ttr is excelent on fuel (half a tank left after a 5minute race) but has a 21.
i think ill drive the ttr because im used to it. but i just want some opinions
TTR_EB4
Old 04-02-2008, 05:34 AM
Jas the Ace

From what I can work out is the .21 ia as fast if not faster at times than a .28, and a .28 will drink more fuel due to the bigger bore size. The bigger engines tend to be more suited to the bigger toys like the monster trucks where they require more down low grunt. Don't get me wrong as buggies do fly with the 28's, but the 21's seem to be a lot 'crispier'. Why not race them both on the same day and do a comparison test in 2 different classes?

As for mozzzy, well I think he fitted a cooling fan, that louis created, to the top of his buggy, and the thing took off like a helicopter, and we haven't seen them since!!

Oh well...at least we still have grizz Don't we grizz?....Grizzz?.....GRIZZ!!?......
Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 AM
grizz1

Don't panic boys, I´m still here Just burning the midnight oil at work so I thought I would hop on line and check out the forums.
Nice of the company to provide me with unlimited internet access day and night
TTR - go with the .21 bro. The .28 is great in truggy and trucks like Jas said, but they tend to have too much low down power for a buggy, which makes it very hard to drive out of corners etc when you are trying to get the power down. The .21 are plenty grunty enough down low, but they also have much better top end which is perfect for a buggy. All official racing class buggies run .21 engines. You would be surprised at the power a fully race modded .21 can put out (around 3.2 hp). Nice looking stable of cars you have there. Looks like the nitro bug has bitten hard in your household. Just been doing some maintainence on my buggy while it´s quite here. Had a good day on Sunday. Came 4th in the B buggy final after racing the last 12 mins of the 25 minute final with a front shock dangling in the breeze. Handled ok on the straight and sweeping corners, but did not like sharp turns or coming off the jumps. I just kept circulating and hoped the 3 guys in front of me flamed out or broke something, but they didn't []
Old 04-03-2008, 12:33 AM
TTR_EB4

yer im going to race the ttr with the 21 in it, have any of you guys had any experience with the Futaba Magnum 2pl digital transmitter, it has 10 model memory, ABS Braking etc but its AM[sm=confused.gif]??? thats weird you would think it would be FM, well do you think its good or not, came with the truggy, might put it in the hyper for interclub up in adelaide (in june) but i think ill put a hyper 21 in it instead of the 28, because i took it out for a run last night, man this thing sucks juice!!, forsure this engine is going!! lol.

TTR_EB4
keep burning that nitro, world aint gonna pollute itself
Old 04-03-2008, 04:44 AM
grizz1

Yeah - that's the trouble with the bigger motors when you are racing. You need one more pit stop than the .21's, so loose any time you made on the field. All the truggies racing here run .21's with loads of bottom end (Go Tech, Ninja, OS V Spec etc). It is not legal here in NZ to race any motor bigger than a .21 in truggy class at this stage. You can run the bigger standard motor that came with the truggy (but it must be bog standard including pull start etc) if you want, but if you replace the standard motor you can't go any bigger than .21. Any good .21 race motor will leave a standard .28 or .30 for dead anyway.
Good luck with the racing. Make sure you report back to the boys
Old 04-03-2008, 04:56 AM
TTR_EB4

yer thanks grizz, my club doesent care what size engine you use, theres a guy there with a 30 and my 21 laps him
Old 04-04-2008, 06:24 AM
TTR_EB4

hi guys, one simple question, i scared that my throttle servo is going to die on one of the long races, what are the signs of a servo about to die???
and if it does while im racing will it still let me move it (transmitter) or will it jam and stay on full throttle for example
hopefully is doesent but if it does, i want to know if ill still be able to control it.

TTR_EB4
Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Jas the Ace

Basically there is one sign only for a failing servo, that is.......it stops working. A lot of people fit a return spring to the throttle, so that if the gears stip out the spring can try and pull the throttle back to the idle position. But if the servo siezes up in a open throttle position, you start hoping that you can catch your buggy, (if you still have steering there is no real drama) and you can then physically shut it down or remove the linkage and stop it from peak revving.
A throttle servo failure is acceptable, but if the steering and throttle both go due to radio failure it is then time to panic.
Just keep a spare servo in the box just in case one fails, and have a great day.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:32 PM
grizz1

Yep, like Jas says. Unless it's making funny noises (clicking etc) there is no way of knowing when or if it's going to fail. If you suspect it might be faulty, or on the way out, I would replace it. Don't take the chance. If it dies with the throttle wide open, that's where the throttle will stay. Cost of a new servo is a lot less than a blown motor, or destroyed buggy when it comes of the track at full speed and keeps going until it hits something soild [:@]
Ughh - horrible thoughts [:-] Hey, hope I haven't depressed you too much TTR, but better to be safe than sorry bro [8D]
Old 04-05-2008, 04:48 AM
Jas the Ace

Hey grizz, I'm just doing a welfare check on you mate!! I saw the news about a disasterous fire in Hamilton, not to sure where that town is on your land, so I thought I should check to see if you are alive, lets hope so. I pass on my respect to those who did lose the battle of life while trying to battle a huge inferno most likely lit by some arsonist who is probably having a good night sleep by now.

Fires should only be lit within controlled environments, for example...in an internally combusted .21cubic inch engine which can light 40 000 fires per minute, mounted on the best things in life...The Redcat/Bazooka.....
Old 04-05-2008, 04:17 PM
grizz1

Jas - I'm still here mate. Yes a sad day indeed. I worked with the guy who was killed some years ago, and have a good mate who recently transferred from my station in hospital in a serious but stable condition with very bad burns. He had just started working in the Hamilton brigade which is about 2 hours south of Auckland (where my other race track is).
Just one of those things. They got a fire alarm call to a big coolstore. Could smell refrigerant gas when they got off the trucks. Opened a door to gain access and BOOM, the place just exploded. Guys in the doorway took full blast and are all critical, the others were still on the truck and were caught in the fireball. Incinerated both trucks where they were parked. Wrong place - wrong time. Sh-t happens.
I am at work on OT today as a lot of Auckland guys have been sent down to cover for the 8 guys in hospital. Pretty quite atmosphere on station today for sure. Just hoping the other guys pull through.
I am going to do some work on my truggy this avo to take my mind of things and keep me occupied. [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.