Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Old 11-28-2009, 11:54 AM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RE:

good to see ya Jas

I still have my old buggy...dont run it much though...thought about selling it, but just when I get ready to let it go I have a change of heart..lol

yeah I still get on rcu quite a bit...this hobby has taken over..lol...its not a bad thing either....
Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 AM
zaintlouis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jas! buddy haha so good to see you. That's what griz said he's distributing Go Engines now. i wonder if we get special discount if we buy from him lol.

you know what if our redcat buggies can weight same as kyosho or xrays i think they can go just as good. i'm putting back the eclips on my hingepins. they are much lighter. for as long as they those eclips dont hit anything they will last long and wont fall off. i'm also gonna put lightened 46T from kyosho on my redcat.

by the way check this out http://www.nandaracing.cn/en/cpzs/ca.../nrb3r_js.html i just bought this for 300$ it's so light! (doesn't mean am gonna dispose my redacat) it already has lightened parts i just got lucky someone bought my reconditioned Hyper7 PRO for 600$ lol so i bought the nanda nrb3r hehe. before i handed the h7pro to the buyer we made a few test runs and he dam like it so much so we made a deal. prior to that i said i spend around 950$ 6 years ago at first i said i have no plans selling it but if someone would get it for 600 i would then let the h7 go, and there he offered me to buy it. well this is the advantage when you live in the outskirts i guess lol naughty zaint!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
firebird78

Default RE:

congrats bro...hope you enjoy it.....

still havent upgraded my front end...got to figuring how much it would cost and went oh heck..lol....still keepin and eye on ebay for good deals...may take me a bit but I'll get it done..lol
Old 12-05-2009, 02:13 AM
zaintlouis

Default RE:

Rand, have any photo of your buggy on this thread ? if there is what page then. like to see what you put there on your rig. haven't change my drive axels yet. they're still in good shape i constantly lightly oil them. is there any lightened parts available on the market for our redcat buggies?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
mxrcr23r

I just bought the Backdraft with the 2.4gz radio. not very impressed . The thing breaks just thinking about being driven. Ive run it 3 times this week for a total of 9 mins. on 3 seperate occasions Ive had to replace the steering linkage, servo-saver arm kit ( used an aluminum kit for another car that was close) both front turnbuckles, shock body, and now the front diff case where the A-arm connects is broken and i dont know if i can even get a replacement part for that. such a shame too. the car realy has sooo much potential but there plastic is just garbage, I bought the aluminum upgrades where available but that is making the car very expensive. does it get any better? I was realy hoping to run this car in the 1/8 buggy premier class here in reno but I dont think it will handle a full race. help please. anything I can do to make this thing usable?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE:

I think they are pretty durable, my buddy has one and he only breaks parts when he hits things, its quick to hitting a curb will break parts.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 PM
firebird78

Default RE:

Zaint...mine is pretty much stock...I did put the cv shafts in the rear (the fronts fit)..sometime I plan to put a sway bar on the front also ( have the parts just havent done it)...still havent put kyosho front end on it yet...been keeping an eye on ebay for the parts cheap...most my attention goes to my rxb-1...thats what I'm racing....

as far as lightened parts I havent seen anything...I think I might convert mine to a short course truck at some point...
Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: mxrcr23r

I just bought the Backdraft with the 2.4gz radio. not very impressed . The thing breaks just thinking about being driven. Ive run it 3 times this week for a total of 9 mins. on 3 seperate occasions Ive had to replace the steering linkage, servo-saver arm kit ( used an aluminum kit for another car that was close) both front turnbuckles, shock body, and now the front diff case where the A-arm connects is broken and i dont know if i can even get a replacement part for that. such a shame too. the car realy has sooo much potential but there plastic is just garbage, I bought the aluminum upgrades where available but that is making the car very expensive. does it get any better? I was realy hoping to run this car in the 1/8 buggy premier class here in reno but I dont think it will handle a full race. help please. anything I can do to make this thing usable?

sorry to hear your troubles...I really dont know much about the backdraft...not saying its a bad buggy, but I woulda went with the hurricane if you plan to race...if the hurricane xrb is better then the hurricane xp its a pretty good buggy...some people may disagree with me (let me have it Derek..lol) but I dont believe the ultralites hold a candle to the pro series, and the pro series are way more suitable for racing
Old 12-07-2009, 07:39 PM
firebird78

Zaint , Jas......

here is my race my race rig....as of this moment here is what I done to it

billet front/rear towers
billet front diff hinge pin retainers (buggy comes stock with captured hinge pins)
rear and center cv axles (no dog bones)
milled chassis
hb d8 front big bores (will be adding the rears shortly)
ace 1015 steering servo
hitec 645mg throttle
spektrum dx3s...

think my new mill will be the go gsx5.....I was running a sh.21 8 port but I didnt have the bottom end I want....the track is more technical with short straights...so I dont need top end.....I have the 053 dynamite but I think I'll get the combo pipe/engine......what yall think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73920.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1329374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53016.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1329375  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE:

Nice randy. No i agree with you. The parts arent as beefy on the ultralites, but i was say that they are pretty durable. I dont own one so i dont know for sure. But it does have a few weak links, like the steering linkage connecting the left and right bell crank. Hopefully ill get one soon, and ill see how it holds up compared to the pro series with the same bashing.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
mxrcr23r

Im just getting into the racing aspect of this hobby. Ill have to check out the hurricane . thanks. Got the backdraft put back together. the diff case was only $6 , cant realy complain about that. kinda scared to run it noiw though. might park it for a bit till the weather warms up. maybe the plastic wont be so brittle.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:43 PM
firebird78

Default RE:

yeah if your serious about racing diff get a different buggy....alot of good buggies out there for lil money (well less then the big name buggies..lol).... I got somewere around $700 in my buggy (and it has the most important upfrades available for it) and most the racers I race against have $1200 plus....racing is expensive, but you can race on a budget and still have fun....huge learning curve though....once ya throw your buggy on the track you and race you will see just how different it is then bashing....but well worth it...
Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 AM
chevyderek72

Default RE:

Naw it aint a big learing curve, pretty easy, Unless your name is randy [sm=lol.gif]

No but seriously he's right, totally different. You look at it and its like, oh thats not so hard. Then you throw your car on the track, and your like wow i suck, this is hard.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 AM
zaintlouis

Ran, i honestly must say you u got a nice rig there. i 'd even bet on it on ifmar worlds championship hehe (just kiddin) imagine if you get lucky n got first wow that would make the eyes for those who have a thousand dollars plus race buggies puff out lol. for me doesn't really matter if your buggy isn't top of the line for as long as it's on top of a good car set up and well balanced. i bought nylon spur gears, yeh their plastic but they could last the whole race event and much lighter. the new vspec II cooling head i think is also a must. i wonder if it can fit on GO or Axe Rossi engines. it would really contribute to making our buggies a little lighter. got only frt threaded bb shocks. i wouldn't put 16mm bb on my rear, this is to add more wt in frt and less weight on the rear, oh well every single ounce counts that what they say. so i'm considering every thing to balance my buggy. i aslo use threaded hinge pins on my frt. e-clips on my rear, i also use alum upper arm on my frt. my lower ofcoarse is nylon plastic. my buggy currently has 4 disc brakes, i'm gonna put away 2 and stick to the dual disc (got strong servos anyway)

121609- checked the cg today it moved around 2mm further to the frt
Old 12-20-2009, 10:23 PM
firebird78

Default RE:

well I'm gradually getten better...I dont have anyplace to practice which sucks so taking a lil longer then usuall I'd suspect....I have won heat races (by default..they all broke and I stayed together...lol)....I mostly have to race veteran drivers as there isnt really enuff buggies in the rookie class to hold a rookie race...not complaining though as I think it has made me better...I'm pretty competative and with everything else I continued on and got to the top of my competition area ( soft tip darts, billiards and so on)....if they think I'm gonna give up they are sadly mistaken..lol
Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
volcanomx

Default RE:

Does any body know what "other" pull start can i use on my sh.28 engine or if some one is selling one please PM. thank you.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:54 PM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: volcanomx

Does any body know what ''other'' pull start can i use on my sh.28 engine or if some one is selling one please PM. thank you.
Sent you PM with options
Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 AM
zaintlouis

Wow where you guys are come back here i miss you lol my redcat's still alive and has now more turning radius - also has carbon fiber radio plate from sx8 oh well gonna check this thread soon enough if you guys 're still around laterz

Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 PM
msrfrog1

Default RE:

new hurricane xtr owner. wow this buggy is fun and durable so far. I ran it full speed under my friends lowered scion tc the other day and the only damage was a bent shock tower that i bent back! the aa battery came loose while diving and caused that one. now i zip tie them. it seems very fast and the motor runs real nice, but the glow plugs don't seem to last long compared to my traxxas vehicles. is this normal for a big block? I never had one before. I am tuned on the rich side still running at 215F . i know my tmaxx like to run at like 225F . any suggestions on glow plugs and temps for the sh .28 3p? thanks.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 PM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

Default RE:

Yo, anyone have the stock needles settings for LSN on .21 That's on the Backdraft 3.5? Before i started breakin the engine i see that the LSN is half turn off closed so im thnking there's no way that's right. Any help would be great.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95708.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1503184  
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Titaniumracingtiger

Default RE:

I just got a Hurricane XP from a friend that I'm putting together for my brother-in-law. Looks like I need a lot of parts as the guy that had it before really hacked it up bad. Wheres the best place for parts? So far I need.

[ul][*] Hinge pins
[*] Springs that go between the lower front arms and the rear mounts along the hinge pins > Is there some way to do without the springs, just make it a normal mount like all the other buggy designs.
[*] Front Shocks
[*] Front lower arm mount
[*] Front lower arm mount bushings I guess those plastic inserts that are in them to hold the hing pins.
[*] Rear Hubs
[/ul]

Also what upgrades are recommended? Either OEM or Creatively adapted parts from other cars.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Dragonii

rufaster.com should have the parts you need.

I have an Avalanche XP and these are the things that Ihave done/can recomend.

Rear shock tower is weak. Redcat sells an upgrade for like $22, or... I bought 2 regular rear shock towers on clearance for $1.50 each, bonded them together with glue and replaced the original screws with 2mm longer screws. rear shock tower is pretty strong now. I think the Hurricane has a different tower but the premice should still work.

Rear chassis brace mount is kind of weak. Replace plastic with this. It may just save you from replacing the whole chassis down the road.
www.rufaster.com/81611Y.aspx

Check front and rear diffs. They may need lube.

If your rear upper arm fixing block is plastic you may want to consider this part. The stock plastic ones can flex on a hard landing and allow the rear susspension to pop loose.
www.rufaster.com/81605B.aspx

Other things I have done is to change the muffler and aif filter.
This is my Avalanche. The pipe has now been remounted so that the exhaust points down.

That's all I can think of for now.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Titaniumracingtiger

Default RE:

Thank you very much for the info. After looking over that site and also through my parts bin, it looks like I should be able to have the buggy up an running for about $30. I think I'm going to convert it to a GT Class on-road car that seems to be all the rage in the club scene.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Dragonii

There was a street car version of the XP, the Typhoon.

You could find parts for it to help.

www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm

Old 05-25-2011, 12:58 PM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE:

I bent an axle stub on my Backdraft 3.5 and Redcat is out of stock. Anyone know of a suitable replacement? I can get parts for pretty much any other brand locally. Here's the part I'm talking about:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.