ok sounds like you got its sorted! Those "cheesy" gaskets look cheesey but I can assure you they are there & they work! I would have thought the leakage was only because the head wasn't screw down tightly. Anyway I was a little concerned because I know how sensitive these engines are. When I had my infinity .27, I once put a glow plug in without the washer. BIG MISTAKE. You'd think it wouldn;t matter but that fraction longer caused too much compression and the whole motor overheated in about 30 seconds, spilling smoke out from beneath the head. That's why I wouls use caution. I recently got an Axe LSK & it came with another gasket just in case you use 30% nitro. This gasket looks just as cheesy as ones in cheaper engines. But Axe Rossi produce top line engines so figure that one out!
But anyhow sounds like you expermenting is working. Just be aware if you have idle, tuning, overheating or blown plugs as constant problems I'd say it may have something to do with the compression. But then again you may be only using a low % nitro? I'd be really careful though if you were using 20% or higher.
And so the duratrax parts is from a 1/10 is it? That why I was supprised! I thought we were talking about the Hurricane!
Actually I just rebuilt my buggy that I crashed heavily the otherday. Its now a Inferno/Himoto hybrid! The front gearbox I found had smashed so I used a spare kyosho gearbox. I have to get some new shock shafts so the back half is from an inferno as well. One could call it an Infernocane!! haha...
I can see how running W/O the glow gasket would be a HUGE problem, Mostly because the gasket is probably .025 or more causing the plug to be too close to the piston, possibly colliding with it. That and there would be too much heat at the top of the piston. But I dont see how a .005 gasket could do very much harm other than lowering the compression ratio a fraction (say for instance 10.5:1 to 10.48:1) It runs/idles fine and I havent had a problem[8D] As far as fuel, I use 15% heli fuel
...Now on to "Frankencar"... The front is a mixture of Traxxas A arms (rear arms off a truck) C hubs off a Duratrax, and hubs off the duratrax. Misc parts include slide/king pins, bushings/bearings, and hardware. So I guess its a "duratraxxascat". Im really starting to think the less Redcat parts that are on this thing the better I'll be. Of course NOTHING just clipped/slid in. There was "modification" galore, but I got it all together
got it running and it started acting up[:@]. Seems like my battieries are weak but they are pretty new. I know after the reciever box got wet (wow that puddle was deeper than I thought, glad I didnt try to go thru the middle lol) it was acting the same way and after I swapped the crystals it was fine. It hasnt gotten wet since then but its doing it again. Im pretty sure the battieries are OK but I wanna know wazzup b4 I go to runnin it again. The last thing I need is another run-away car full speed into a curb, rocketing off the curb and slamming into a guardrail upside-down, then laying there wheels flying engine screaming, waiting for me to shut it down[sm=cry_smile.gif] That lil episode was painful. So far I think I've put about what I spent on the car, into repairing the front end[:@] maybe I'll put it on a shelf for a parts car and get something a lil harder to break lol