Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 135 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

LOL!...hey no prob....THEY couldn't even tell me the exact meaning of the letters themselves...they were just able to tell me the difference and they deal with engines EVERY day!
    1/8 Redcat Hurricane XP Buggy/.27 motor (4.43cc)/tuned exhaust
    1/10 Redcat Volcano STX truck/.18 motor (3.0cc)/tuned exhaust

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Happy Birthday to this thread!!! It's 10 pages old today Glad to see we've got so many running them and contributing to engines that fit tuning etc.

Someone at my LHS said a person came in with a redcat the other day (other than me). Congrats Redcat on getting ou tthere so quickly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cheers guys! Geez our weather's really screwed up. Today its dropped about 20 degrees & its raining. Yeah I would definately run a little rich on another hot day. Although I don't plan to do that again on such hot day I think. too dam hot.
    In relation to the HSN also influencing the LSN I was wondering if the same goes the other way round. In that if you lean out the LSN does it then also make the HSN lean? Does that make sense?.
    Whats the best way to clean the shocks? Do they come completely apart so you can clean the grime off? Whats the best sort of cleaner to use?
    Cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No the LSN won't affect the HSN. The easiest way to adjust the LSN is to let the car sit at idle for about 10 seconds and then jam on the throttle. You should see little to no hesitation. You can also pinch the fuel line right behind the carb and see what happens. The idle should increase slightly after a few seconds then stall.

You can clean the shocks with some canned air or nitro blast. If you stuff really starts to get grimey eventually I take the motor, electronics, and dif out from the chassy and spray the car with hot water and then relube the bearings. Can air or an air compressor should be fine for what your talking about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kind of unrelated to the forum but I am trying to get some video online, and I am wondering how many MB it should be for say 5 min of video (if I plan on using it online)?

I am getting like 18mb for 7minutes of 640x480. This seems like a big file to me for that size.

Any recommnedations? I'm using the Dazzle software to edit it

Like to get some vids up here

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can compress it with video editing software, like pinnacle studio but you will lose quality. Putfile allows files up to 25mb though. Just upload at http://www.putfile.com and its free.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys!!!

Long time no posting here. Glad to see everyone is haveing a blast.

Me, I am still working the bugs out of the jumping issues. But I did get it to TURN!! I changed the tires to the Sportwerks pins and those are some real nice skins. The rims fit right up.

The plans are to change out the shock oil, going to 40wt all around and to change the shock angles. I met a guy that drive for the Mugen Factory team and got a "feel" of his car. IT WAS STIFF!! WAAAAYYYYY stiffer than I am trying to run. AHH-HAA!!! So back to the drawing board. I figured out that on the approach to the jumps my chassis is bottoming out causing the car not to fly to nice.

I will keep you guys updated on the progress and when I get it all worked out I will snap some pics and post them up.

Till then -- keep 'em Shiney side up!!!
    Scott Harper
    1/8 Redcat Hurricane XP, 1/18 BRP SCVII, 1/10 Redcat Volcano

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just changed my shock oil to 35 front 40 rear. Haven't tested it out yet but someone running that combo had some nice straight hangtime with that setup. Will let you know after all the snow melts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Snow??? come on its gunna be 80 today.. lol
    Cen truggy, Bigfoot 1/5th, Cen buggy, Mg16, Redcat Earthquake, Redcat Drifter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys... I've been promising and promising for a while that I would get some video.

WELL it's up. It's not real exciting I guess but it does show these things can run and jump with the best of them. I am a novice driver also.

Thank my wife for standing in the line of fire to get this. She was almost hit twice, once on a jumping shot that was just at waist level from where she was, and you will see if you watch. Also at about 4:25 I hit a pole straight on. This is becuase of the only damage that resulted from the run, which was the washer on the steering bar (that sits in the center of the car and is purple or blue aluminum) was slipping off becuase the washer was CUT away I guess from steering over and over. I think I over tightened it before my run becuase I went through and tightened everything, and I think this is supposed to be left with play in it.

So all these jumps and crashes and what not and the only damage was this ...
    A cut washer on the steering bar
    a busted front nose (which I had begun earlier by being careless when putting the shell off and on)
    and the shock tower that was already bent from hitting a tree, got bent just a LITTLE more. Not as bad as it was before and the metal was weak from hitting a tree.

For those thinking of running out and buying one... do

I thought I might get an ofna hyper 7 to compare, but I might just get a second Redcat instead

here's the link

http://media.putfile.com/Red-Cat-18th-Buggy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OH YEAH... for those of you who still have the shocks on the inside pegs (front shocks) I'd move them to the middle or end. I seem to get more stability and it doesn't tear up the shell when I put it off and on.

ALso - RUnning this thing on a dirt track the .27 is almost too much power for me! It was much faster than I imagined on the track. I can't wait till they get this track set up again in the spring, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to stay on. the .21 is probably plenty of power and is also race legal

You can see several times where I skid off, of fish tale even at low speeds. Some better tires may help, but this thing tears up the dirt off the throttle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

60 out here today, im good to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Again I say------------>

It's about 14 degrees here today....snowing and blowing like HELL....UGH!![:'(]

P.S....nice video Tim!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 35/40 weight front/rear works awesome... jumps like a champ.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What's going guys have not been on last few days. So i did the rookie move alot of other people did and broke the pull start the first day i got it(dumb ass). Should have another one in a couple days to try it again but i think this time i am going to have the hobby shop tune it for me, it only 25 dollars so i cant beat that since the pull start costs 30. Does anyone know if they have an electric start that will work on this buggy? Ill let you guys know when it up and running and i hope to have some video when i do. Talk later.
    1/8 Hurricane XP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It has been to muddy in Ky lately for me to finish my break-in so out of boredom I have been taking my XP apart just to see how well it was assembled and I must say I am impressed! Every thing has been tight and greased where it should be. I have an MP6 that needs some tender loving care and I have been comparing the two. Anyone who says that the Himoto is not a hobby grade car has probably not taken one apart. The ruggedness of this vehicle is easly comparable to that of the MP6 with the one exception of the front hub. I like the Himoto setup better for working on but it does not appear to be as tough as the Kyosho, time will tell. I love the turnbuckles and the anodized chassis. My mp6 did not come with a single turnbuckle making camber/toe ajustments a pain compared to the XP. I know I'm not really adding anything of value here but I was bored and just wanted to chime in. I regestered with redcat today and checked out Traptors tech notes, I love it. Keep up the good work. There really seems to be alot of momentum at Redcat and it appears to me that this is no flash in the pan. I ordered some parts and they were freindly and helpful. All and all I am a happy himoto owner.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great Job with the vid... That is a tight area for a .27. I have 5 acres and I think the .21 would be too slow lol..
    And did I hear your wife.. you HIT THE POLE?? haha.
    thanks for sharing
    Cen truggy, Bigfoot 1/5th, Cen buggy, Mg16, Redcat Earthquake, Redcat Drifter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you...

Yes, yes yes.. I hit the pole I left it in there becuase my reaction was TOO priceless. And it didn't hurt it one bit. The steering arm washer had already eaten thoruhg at that point, so I turned it and it went STRAIGHT ahead into the pole.. THUD. You can actually hear it if you turn up your speakers a bit

She was brave (you can see on the ones that it almost hit her. I felt like I got hit watching it)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The HPI roto start works on the vertex engine with no problem. Its great at least untill the engine is broken in then the pull start shouldnt be much of a problem. The roto start requires a 7.2v 1300 mah battery pack to operate, and the unit w/o battery is like 50 bucks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey I too was going to suggest a roto start although they are quite expensive & I beleive that once the engine is tuned a pull start should be fine. I broke mine too & and the LHS re-wound it for me. Had to take a few cms off & it still works fine. You just have to go easy on the cord.
    Nice vid trpastor! um are you trying to seriously maim your wife? haha no seriously? nah you're lucky she'll put her life on the line for your leisure time! Hey how hot was your engine after that run? I've been doing similar runs but thats when mine ran quite hot.
    Has anyone looked at the alloy upgrades? I was wondering why there isn't a alloy lower front arm when there is a alloy lower rear arm? Has anyone seen one? Logic tells me that if you had them you do heaps less damage in an head on crash.
    Inregards to the upgraded alloy front & rear shock towers, what is the difference to the alloy ones that come standard on the himoto/redcat? They look exactly the same except that the upgrade ones have more of a carved shape in them & the edges seemed to be bevelled? Has anypne seem or got them?
    Has anyone checked out the capatability with the mp7.5? Without having one in front of me, I have a pdf of assembly instructions for the mp7.5 & upon closer inspection it looks extremely similar to the himoto/redcat. Visiually the main difference seems to be where the front lower arms connect with the front steering cap. The himoto/redcat has a vertical ball joint whereas the mp7.5 has a horizontal connection to a steering cap which resembles the rear wheel cup on both buggies. The rear shock towers look virtually identical. Not sure about the front shock towers though. It is clearly a different shape although the holes may match up? Impossible to tell without both cars.
    But it leads me again to upgrades. I have seen some carbon fibre upgrade parts for the mp7.5 & most of it looks like it will fit. Again I am not sure about the front towers but things like the side guards, top deck, diff/gear guard etc look virtually identical.
    The carbon fibre parts plus the full alloy upgrade would make it a very mean looking machine I reckon!
    cheers!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HEY EVERY ONE. I AM A REDCAT RACING DEALER I SELL THE REDCAT RACING PRODUCTS ONLINE. I WOULD LIKE TO INVITE YOU TO VIEW MY NEW WEB SITE. AT THIS SITE YOU CAN PURCHASE ALL REDCAT RACING MODELS
    LIGHTNING VX.16
    TORNADO XL
    TORNADO XP
    HURRICAN XL 1/8
    HURRICANE XP1/8
    VOLCANO STX MONSTER TRUCK
    I CAN GET ANY PART THAT YOU NEED ALSO. AS OF RIGHT NOW I AM IN THE PROCCESS OF LISTING THEM ALL ON THE SITE BUT YOU CAN USE THE E MAIL ME LINK TO SEND ME WHAT PARTS YOU NEED AND I WILL GET BACK WITH YOU WITHIN THE DAY WITH PRICE.
    SO PLEASE VISIT MY REDCAT RACING SALES SITE AT

www.home.earthlink.net/~rczero21/
    just copy and paste

THANK YOU
    JERRY D---
    REDCAT DEALER

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trpastor, in regards to changing the front suspension mount holes on the the towers, how do you get the silver bracket off the shock tower? Thats about as novice as it gets!
    Also I was having trouble tuning today. After dialing in a good HSN setting where I'm getting great top end acceleration, I am now finding that upon initial take off when you open up the throttle, it splutters, likes its about to stall & sometimes it would stall. It splutters like there seems to be a "blockage", then gains speed & proceeds to rocket off in a sling-shot fashion. If you slowly ease on the thottle you can sometimes get a clean take off but it mostly does this stuttering.
    I twiddled the knobs littles bits either way. If I leaned out the HSN it got a bit smoother but heated up very quickly so I richend it a bit the otherway & did very little. I richened & leaned the LSN in turn & all that did was make it worse & hotter or when I richend it it didn't want to idle. If I do a pinch test it cuts out really quickly without any increase in RPM. What does that indicate?
    So what do you reckon I should try? Opening up the the idle adjustment screw along with the LSN? Thats the only thing I didn't try before I called it a day. Any ideas? Does this sound like a "normal" tuning issue?
    Cheers
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Matt

Yes, she was a trooper, though that first one (the one where the car comes flying at you when you watch) I had to edit early because of her reaction and choice of words

Sounds like normal tuning issues you have going on. What you intially described sounds dead on for a LSN problem. Anytime you get that first part of acceleration problem it should be the LSN. It sounded like it was too rich (becuase you said spluttery), but the pinch test you last did indicates it is lean. This may be becuse you did some fidling with it and maybe went too far the other direction?? With the low spped needle a 1/8th turn can make a big difference. I usually do them in 1/16th incriments.

Don't mess with the idle (if it's sitting still for you and not dying).

I'm not sure if you used the method of tightening in the big brasss screw and adjusting the flange screw (as I indicated in the photos earlier) or have been using the big screw but I just ran down and tested mine and for a starting point I would suggest a start point of 2 1/4 turns. So tighten in the brass all the way. Then on the flange side tighten it in all the way. Back out 2 and 1/4 but be sure you are doing full turns (as just end over end is a half turn) I think that brass screw loosens fairly easily on runs and if you were using that that may be why it happened (especially as you run on more eneven surface like dirt roads and jumps). Have you been using that one.

On the Shock Towers... once you remove the screw, that metal piece pops out. It just is probably a little wedged in the shock tower.

The lower arm.. I don't know if you can get that in aluminum. One thing about the upgrades, if you throw metal on those parts, it sends the impact waves further back on the car. So while the arms may hold up other parts may collapse. I'm probably going to stick with plastic on those. I am getting the upgrade front tower though. It's thicker than the original. I shoudl get it today so I'll let you know later

As far as 7.5 match ups, I think most of the center stuff matches. The front end doesn't really.

I replaced a center spur gear with a Kyosho 46t(metal). I think it was BGV that replaced his WHOLE front end with a kyosho. So you could do that, but I am just going to get replacement parts from redcat as I haven't had to replace much.

As far as carbon fiber I have seen some thta would probably work. You will have to drill a new hole where the upper arm comes in AND there will have to be enough extra metal there to drill into. As on the redcat it is higher and further to the outside of the shock tower. But I've seen some carbons made for 7.5 that have enough room.

I bet carbon fiber is something you eventually see on redcat though. They could work a deal with a company that works with it to cut those simple parts pretty easily.

Hope this helps. Happy running

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys

I got the upgrade shock tower and it is probably about 1.5x as thick. Maybe even close to 2. What you probably could do also is if you have one get bent, just order the standard shock tower and then double it up with the first one you had (after you bend it back a bit)

The upgrade one "looks" a little cooler too

Page 10 of 135 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast