Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Old 08-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Jas the Ace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Thats cool Grizz, I have been pre-occupied lately aswell trying to get all this boat stuff sorted out, I am doing the license course next Thursday (a full one day course) so my head is in the books a bit to try and make things a bit easier for me.
Oh yeah, my mates Mrs bought a Bazooka on ebay for $330aud, and has hidden it for my mates birthday surprise gift in October. Congrats to them, I think he will be pleased.
How is everyone? Have you got your plane ready yet for the Redbull Challenge Mozzz? hehe..
Old 08-30-2007, 04:35 AM
grizz1

Hey, thats great news about your mate - be nice for you to have a bashing partner, especially having the same cars. You will be able to bring him up to speed on the Bazooka and maybe you can share the cost of nitro, and building up a supply of commonly used spares.
Looks like that chassis will come in handy.
Have you settled on a boat yet, or are you still hunting ?
Hoping for a fine weekend here as I have made some minor adjustments and am keen to get back on the track and see how we run.
Been getting a really good turn out at the track lately on the weekends for casual bashing, tuning and a bit of feircly competitive ¨unofficial¨ racing between some of the better drivers. Man these guys are good to watch, as they are very quick but very tidy around the track. Hopefully my mate will get some video in the near future that I can post. There are lots of new guys appearing all the time in the truggy class. Truggies really seem to be the new rage in NZ with GS, Mugen and Losi being the main contenders.
Louie you will be interested to know that nearly all the top cars are running either the GO TECH 5 port or the GO TECH .28, with a few NINJA .21s thrown in. I was watching a few of the guys going hard out last week and those GO TECH motors are awesome. The 5 port has huge low end grunt but really screams at the top end as well. All the .21s in the truggies are the 5 port models with long headers and low end pipes to suit the track conditions, but the top end performance on the back straight is wickedly fast. These motors retail here for NZ$359 and I am told that a new piston and sleeve is only NZ$160 !! Very affordable performance - so guess what Santa is leaving under grizz´s Christmas tree this year I don´t think I would bother getting the Massive Mods version ($100 more), as I would have to send over to Australia for a modified sleeve at extra cost when it came time to recondition, plus the performance of the standard motor with a decent pipe is plenty good enough. I would rather save the extra dollars and get the 7 port version for my buggy !!!! Hey, us nitro heads are always thinking ahead - right [8D]
Old 08-30-2007, 06:45 AM
zaintlouis

Oh yes oh yes! I'll take the 5 port for which is for the bottom. Soon it will be in our hands :-) ahh... how much is 360$NZ in $US? Me too i won't be getting the massive mods version. i'll mod it myself. Atleast for sure there's gonna be tons of spare piston/sleeve on the market.

i still love my vertex engine, it just got a leak on the carburator rubber boot and the main bearing. if only i can have extra carburator that fit the vertex i could still restore it. i'll get a short video and make it scream so we could tell me the difference. i just notice before the noise was low now it screams in high pitch.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:31 AM
motoman827

Hey guys – new here. I just got a Hurricane XP with the .28 engine. I started breaking it in trying to heat cycle it. Right out of the box, the original glow plug was bad (not glowing at all) so I put in a Traxxas #3232 which I believe is a long medium range plug. I set the idle at 1.0mm, HSN at 3.5 turns and LSN at 2.5 turns.

I got it started, but was running extremely rich – lots of unburned fuel from the exhaust with a decent amount of blue smoke. The engine temp only made it to 105 degrees sitting on a stand. I wrapped some aluminum foil around the engine and ran another tank on the stand. Still only got up to about 105 degrees. I ran another 2 tanks on the stand leaning out the needles to get it to rev a little, and I got the temps to about 130 degrees. I ran the 5th tank with the car on the ground slowly (up to ¼ throttle) on the rich side (still sounds blubbery). Temp only reached 140. The gauge is accurate because I tested it against another thermometer and they read very close (within a degree or 2).

I understand running it rich is better for break in, but I would like to get the temps a little higher. Here’s the strange part, the HSN is at 2 turns out and the LSN is 1 ¼ turns and it’s still running rich. I live in North Jersey at an altitude I’m guessing 600ft. above sea level. I haven’t read any posts here with needles leaned this much. Most are closer to 3 turns on the HSN and 2.5 on the LSN. I thought maybe the air filter had too much oil and was choking the engine, but it looks O.K. I was going to try running it with the filter plastic cover off to give it a little more air flow on the in take. Should I just run it this way for a few more tanks, then lean it out some more?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
rclynx

I have a .28 P3 SH in a earthquake thats less than 2 turns out to make it run right and I have broke some in for people that were 1/4 turn in from 3 to run right.......the settings are factory but not always where the adjustment needs to be..............for you to even start to break it in you need to get the motor over 220 degrees, specially for heat cycle, which I only use on air planes. 140 degrees is what I eat bbq rib's at........lol[&o]
Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 PM
smuller81

hey guys, i'm still working on getting my cane xp ready for the track. i'm in the process of rebuilding the diff's w/ new oil. someone told me to use 5f 7c 2r. however, i could not find 2000 wt diff oil at my lhs so i settled for 3000. is this going to make a big difference? also, when i reinstall my center diff., the actuall diff. (not the gear mesh) gets so tight that i can't even spin it. does any one know what the problem might be? one of the towers that holds the diff. has a shim in it but the other side does not. i'm wondering if i lost a shim in the rebuilding process and that is the problem. any help would be appreciated b/c i haven't even got to fire this bad boy up yet!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:14 PM
grizz1

Louie, NZ$360 is equal to US$255

Hi smuller81 - 5f 7c 3r will be fine. You will get a little more drive to the rear wheels that's all. If you can find some 1000 diff oil use this with the 3000 in a 50/50 mix in the diff to give you 2000 weight.
The centre diff normally has 2-3 shims on the spur gear side (rear) and 1 on the opposite end. It is possible that a couple of shims missing would cause the diff housing / bearing to jam against the tower. Try shimming it as above and see what happens.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:00 AM
Jas the Ace

Plastic cups over the air filter, Hmmm, i honestly don't know why manufacturers put them on for!! My guess is so the air filter stays in prime condition in transit etc.
But Motoman I would certainly advise to run the engine without this on hey. You want the maximum available unrestricted air flow possible, otherwise you are basically "choking" the engine. The more the throttle opens, the more fuel is being allowed in, and if it can't get enough air into the mix it is naturally rich.
I am not saying this will solve any problems you may be experiencing, but it is well worth a go and see what happens. But hey once you have it tuned and run in properly you are going to have a lot of fun with it and you will soon forget about the painful run in period.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:51 PM
smuller81

guys, the center diff only locks up when i tighten the mounts down all the way. if i leave them loose it spins perfectly. i've tried everything. any suggestions? i really want to get this bad boy up and running.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:17 PM
zaintlouis

Plastic cups over the air filter
Jas, i think the plastic caps are to cover the carburator so no foreign object or dirt will get in in time of cleaning it.

smauler81, try dismantling the whole center diff assembly and reassemble it so you could check and see what parts are missing, did you not forget putting the shims? i had that problem before but i think i have forgotten what i did hhhmmm :-)

Old 09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
smuller81

guys i know this sounds crazy but i'm going to tell you anyways. i took the cane to my both of my lhs. the first, hobbytown usa, had some young kid working and he said it was the craziest thing he had ever seen. the other, white house hobbies, took a gander and also said it was pretty weird. when i asked him to tighten the mounts and check it out, he turned the car on it's side, tightened the screws, and then the damn thing spun perfectly! i felt like such an idiot! it seems that when i, and the young kid at hobbytown usa, tightened the screws, we were tilting the car vertically and not horizontally like the other guy did. when i took the car home i loosened the screws, turned the buggy on its side, and retightened them. it now rolls like a champ and i can finally break it in! does this make sense at all or am i just crazy (be nice)?

one more thing, do any of you guys use the rubber grommets and the servo eyelets that come with aftermarket servos?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:56 PM
zaintlouis

Your servo ears would be vulnerable to break apart if you don't use them.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:25 AM
grizz1

Yep smuller81, pays to use the grommets. They prevent cracking of the lugs as zaintlouis pointed out, and they also insulate the servo workings from the incredible vibration set up by the nitro motor. This vibration can over time cause faults in the servos and the rubber mounts go a long way to limiting such damage.

What has everyone been up to ?? Had a good day playing at the track on Saturday. Getting truggy working better each time I go and play. Think I'm finally getting the hang of racing these things and keeping them on the track
Old 09-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Jas the Ace

Not much news from my way sorry, but my local "gang" had a display at a Fathers Day event on Sunday, basically it was a mini big boys toys show on fathers day. I didn't get there due to other commitments, but the feedback I got was excellent. About 8 people from my local group put on a small display and wowed the crowd something fierce, they entertained with doing what was supposed to be small jumps, but as the cheers came on, the bigger the air they attempted, and all of them went home with no running buggies or trucks the damage bill was huge. I am sure glad I didn't go cos I would have written mine off I reckon, lol. When the club uploads some video I will certainly pass it on to you guys.
Cheers
Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 AM
zaintlouis

Hi all!

Yeah Griz well said, thumbs up on that!

whew, nitro is very addictive! it's like i want to keep burning nitro everyday!

Jas, nice story there, you always make me laugh. How's your new boat? are you done with the lessons Captain? was it hard? do they require you to buy some sort of navigational equipments or gps?

Oh my i lost the manual of the speedgun. How do you use this thing? do i have to aim it perpendicular to the running object or what?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:19 AM
Jas the Ace

GPS, safety gear and sounders all came with the boat, am doing a training course Thursday, it will be a very long day I'm sure, then hopefully I will be able to get my recreational boat license on Friday, I will be doing the PWC training aswell so I can be licensed to ride one of those wild machines to. I will keep ya's posted.
As with the radar gun louis, I'm not sure how yours will operate but I know with my Mattel Hotwheels radar I have to point it directly at the subject to get a reading. This means getting down low to the ground and pointing it head on with the buggy. Mine has a small range of maybe 30 meters max. so it's basically get down low, get a reading, and get out of the way pretty darn quick, or suffer some pretty severe injuries. That is unless you can put total trust in the person driving the buggy. There is that one time my reactions were not perfect, and I used several words at the time that basically translated into "Ouch, that hurt", lol. A few hours after that impact I built up the courage to remove my shoe and do a toe count. The amount of toe's equalled the number of fingers so I must be all ok.
Have fun guys.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:28 AM
zaintlouis

I got a reading!!

My redcat buggy with a mamba engine on it got an average speed of 56 KPH with a 13t CB and 46T spur gear. isn't that slow or just normal?

I saw Queensland on tv when the the American Choppers visited the place to make project for the movie actor Russel Crowe.
OH What A BEAUTIFUL PLACE!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:56 AM
Jas the Ace

Thats about the speed the stock RTR's run here in my area. And you are right, Queensland is a beautiful place, I wouldn't leave here for anything. Does your radar have a good range and do you have to be down level with the buggy to get a good reading? Cheers.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:16 AM
grizz1

Hi guys, Yep 56 kph sounds fair for an RTR. More than fast enough when you hit something with it

And your both right - Queensland is a beautiful place, which is why I'm heading there with my golf clubs next Wednesday for a well earned 8 days off, YAHOO !!!!
Jas mate, I should come out to your local track and see the action, but I think the better half might have something to say about that [&:] I think we have planned to take the train from Nerang into Brisbane for a look around the Queen St Mall over the weekend (something we often do when we are over on the coast).
Make sure the sun is shining for me buddy [8D]
PS: I thought about bringing that package over for you and posting it locally, but with my golf clubs we are pushing the weight limit, and excess baggage costs more than postage !
Old 09-05-2007, 03:21 AM
Jas the Ace

Yeah well our bash track may be no more than it's usual unused piece of land with an unused BMX track on it again soon. Council are doing the usuall "yes you can but no you can't" routine, the good old catch 22 is playing a big problem at the moment, and the president is a brother to one of the councillors and they still won't even help us out!! Man if I was PM for the day, ALL recreational hobbies would be freed from political jargon.
Not to sure about the weather Shane, our 2nd bout of rain is coming through after you blew some over for us, but it should pass and green things up quite a bit for your holidays. I will catch up with you soon in email before you go.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 PM
zaintlouis

RTR speed? [:@] Guess i'm gonna need the 14t cb / 48T spur. and get another reading. nope, he didn't go down level maybe i should get another reading - down level this time.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Jas the Ace

Nah it should be good louis, my guns readings at standing position was like 8km/h, so I think your brand would be a good one.
And guess what? I easily completed my recreational boat and PWC license courses and tests today!!! It will all be official when I go to the dept. of transport tomorrow and pay the government a few $$ and it is all on my normal car license. YeeHaaah!!! Here fishy wishy!! Hehehehe...I don't think I'm excited....
Old 09-06-2007, 05:43 AM
grizz1

Good work Jas. The seas will be decimated !!!!
I am hammering the overtime before I go away (24 hr shift today/tonight - yuck) for some extra play money, so I will post your little package off tomorrow sometime while I´m off duty. Hopefully you will get it mid way through next week.
I am guessing the Bazooka will be getting some well earned rest for a little while due to the new toys being tried out

Hey Louie - Sorry to insult your buggy with the RTR label brother. I´m thinking it´s surely not RTR with all the mods you have done, and the Mamba engine too Duh - ignore me, it´s been a long week [&o] I need some nitro fumes for a kick start. Hopefully get a few hours in on Saturday.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Jas the Ace

I don't think he would feel insulted about the speed reading cos it is all in the gearing for top end speed. The engine would no doubt get there a lot easier than an rtr I think, but naturally playing with the gearing will be puting a smile on the dial for sure. One of my mates was almost in tears one time after he upgraded his Rex-x Pro to a .24 or something in an attempt to beat me over a long distance circuit. His $300 engine sure blew me away off the line, but my trusty old $150 Force .21 eventually wound up and passed him at about the 60 meter mark, and to this day he still won't change his gearing cos he thinks his engine is what gives him the speed lol. I am not complaining though, I love to give him a drag race and win especially when there is a few people watching, hehehe.
Where the hell is mozzzy? Is he building an F1 engine for his buggy or something?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
zaintlouis

Griz, not a bit. certainly i need to know the facts. They are very important to me. how could i increase my buggy's performance if you hesitate to tell the facts. i'm more more thankful really!! i'm just cool griz keep it that way and be yourself.

Jas, as usual hehehe , funny thing about your friend :-)

Just probably you guys might want to register here on this link.

http://rcraceregistration.com/racere...ions.asp?id=33

after that all you need is someone who would sponsor your roundtrip travelling expenses :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.