Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:30 PM
grizz1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Looks good Mozzy. Nice job on the paint work. Suspension and body looks very similar to my XUT, in fact the body shell looks pretty much identical. It seems a shame to get it dirty eh ? I remember spending hours cleaning my truggy after each trip to the track, but I have just about given in now. I blast the dust and dirt off with compressed air after a days fun, but don´t get too carried away. Every 6 weeks or so I give it a good going over with WD40, check all the wheel bearings etc.

Man what a bummer day for everybody down-under in the Rugby World Cup [&o] Home town is very quite today, with a lot of people pretty stunned by the outcome of the two games overnight. It won´t be quite for long though, as I am going to take out my frustrations about bad refereeing etc on my poor little nitro´s [>:] I will feel much better soon.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:36 AM
mozzzy_2000

cheers. yeah its a bit lairy but it looks better than the photos suggest. I used standard Tamiya rattle can paints. Colours were translucent red backed with black and iridesent purple/green back with bright sliver. Bright but its an interesting effect.

Rugby? Lets not go there. Yeah Australia went out with a wimper but man I bet you kiwi's are hurting after the all blacks capitulation! enough said really..
Old 10-07-2007, 04:44 AM
grizz1

The jokes have started already. Best so far - Have you seen the new All Black Bra ? It's got lots of support, but no cup. Ouch, I shouldn't be saying that being a good Kiwi supporter all my life, but ya gotta laugh, right ??

Got a slight problem with my 2 speed on the on-roader. Won't change into second. I have had the trans apart and all appears to be fine. No matter how far out I adjust the grub screw for the change point, it just won't change. I am now thinking that maybe the one way bearing on the 1st gear spur is jammed. It could actually be changing but with this bearing not free wheeling, the 1st gear spur is staying engaged. Any ideas ????
Old 10-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Jas the Ace

Is it not changing into 2nd or is it stuck in 2nd? My Losi M/T used to get stuck in 2nd and not drop back down to first but that could be a different thing to what you are experiencing. I am still a learner with the 2 speeds myself and not getting out much lately I haven't much go wrong with mine. Strange that, park them on the shelf and they don't break!! Lol..
Mozzzy I am about to attempt your transaction buddy, I will let you know if all is well so you can keep an eye on it from your end.

How was "The Race" guys, a light sprinkle of rain near the end made things very entertaining eh. Indy in 2 weeks, when is the air race again mozz?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:03 AM
rclynx

OMG / LMAO..........
The jokes have started already. Best so far - Have you seen the new All Black Bra ? It's got lots of support, but no cup. Ouch, I shouldn't be saying that being a good Kiwi supporter all my life, but ya gotta laugh, right ??
Thats good grizz
Old 10-07-2007, 08:21 PM
daveschutt

Is the hyrricane XP worth it or is it junk. Had durability problems with the tornado xp. Is it durable, fast powerful? Also does it handle good and is it a single speed, right?[][:@][&:][8D]
Old 10-07-2007, 08:26 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a big difference between the 1/10 and the 1/8 vehicles, no matter what brand, the 1/8 is built much stronger, durable and most of the times faster. I have never broken a part on my hurricane, only a cracked fuel tank in the year i have owned it.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 PM
grizz1

Hi daveschutt, Value for your dollar you probably won't find a better deal out there then the Huricane. The people on this thread would all vouch for the durability of the Huricane (Bazooka). They are slightly heavier than some of the newer buggies, but still plenty fast enough to be very competitive against other RTR´s in there class. I don´t think you would be disapointed [8D]

Jas - Yeah, that 2 speed is not changing out of first, definitley not stuck in second gear as it shreds the tyres from a standing start
Was talking to LHS today and they reckon it simply a case of the spring in the 2 speed clutch being a bit strong. They said to squeeze the spring up a bit or shorten it slightly and it should work. One way bearing is fine.
This little beast is more fun than a ferret up your trousers, it is QUICK. 14 tanks through it now (one set of tyres destroyed - yikes), next tank will be stepping up to 25% so I expect some more grunt !! Pretty full on for an out of the box RTR. Good build quality, reasonable servos etc. Got it running on my Spektrum radio gear now so once I get the 2 speed sorted it´s all ready to go.
Pulling the 2 speed apart was quite interesting. At least I know how they work now
Old 10-08-2007, 03:20 AM
mozzzy_2000

Hey Jas no probs I'll let you know when it shows up. The red bull air race is on either late October or early November I think? Should be good. Didn;t get to it last year so hopefully I'll get there this year.

Yeah Dave the hurricane is extremely good value especially if its your first venture into nitro. Like with ANY nitro doesn't matter which one, they all have issues with certian things but thankfully with the hurricane/bazooka there is seriously very little that you can fault. I have had mine for about 18mths or more and I've only ever broken like 2 or 3 parts in that time. They are extremely robust thats for sure. Its the perfect basher but because of its weight its not entirely ideal for pure racing. The only real issue I have with them is that parts can be hard to source depending where you are. They seem to be in far greater numbers in the US than Australia. I dont think they're sold in shops and they seem to really be an internet only product. Whilst there is some compatability with other brands you will at some stage need to purchase certain specific parts through the internet. But if that doesn;t bother you then the hurricane is definately something to consider. The other buggy I'd look at in that price range is the hyper 7 rtr. This is an outstanding platform for entry level 1/8 nitro as well and should also be considered.

Grizz that onroader sounds pretty wicked. If it has a similar 2 speed gearbox as the redcats then there is a modification that you can do to vastly improve the 2-speed functionality. Ehroof is the guru when it comes to those matters and he knows what to get if its the same sort of clutch. But to me it sounds like an issue with spring and its obviously not flick the gears and the required rpms. So it sounds pretty vicious on the tyres hey. How much do the tyres cost? Have you tried drift tyres yet?

Hey gotta tell you guys that when I was painting my truggy body I was attacked by a swarm of bees! lol well I wasn't laughing at the time but I gotta laugh about now. Anyway the spray paint must have disturb this bee hive nearby when all of a sudden I was swarmed and subsequently stung by these highly aggressive bees. Anyway I thought you guys would have a chuckle at that one!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 AM
grizz1

Geez Mozzy, these nitro cars are dangerous !!!! Lucky your not allergic to those little stingers.
Yeah, the tyre shredding thing is a minor concern, although the factory tyres that came in the RTR kit were nothing flash (they certainly aren´t flash now []) Decent tyres will last considerably longer I would say. Having the car stuck in first gear doesn´t help either, as one tends to thrash quite hard to see how fast it will go, causing much excess wheel spin and covering the chassis in a fine rubber powder . Hey, you gotta see how fast it will go right ??? I will be getting some drift tyres and a set of foams soon. Cost for a set of good quality tyres complete with rims is about AUS$40.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:23 AM
daveschutt

I run associated MGT, so I have learned every thing about previous nitros i have owned. My buddy owns a muegen MBX5 buggy. Ive ran it in races before. I imagine this will not compare to these rc's Right? Also is the hurricane XL a single speed? If so which buggy is do you reccomend? I know on my tornado XP the two speed was just a pain in the butt.[:'(]
Old 10-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Jas the Ace

If you want to do some drifting I have heard a few things going around about tyres. A few people tend to use PVC pipe or tubing instead of tyres, or just get some pipe that fits snuggly over the tyres. Only on the rear tyres from what I have heard, the fronts need rubber for actual forward movement and steering, and the rears just cut loose on the PVC creating a spectacular drift show and it cuts down on the cost of new rubber after every tank of fuel.
Mozz......HA HA HA HA......sorry mate, Had to laugh. One bee sting brings tears to my eyes, so I don't ever want to experience several stings. I bet you feel great now though, bee stings are used around the world for curing several medical conditions from mild pain to major traumers.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 AM
mozzzy_2000

Yeah lucky I am not allergic to bee stings otherwise it would have been a hell scary incident hey. Could have got stung several times but luckily I ran inside sustaining the one sting. The aggresiveness and the swiftness to which they attacked me was nothing short of extraordinary I reckon! Apparantly when one bee attackes it releases a pheromone that tells all the others to attack and well they certianly got the message! lol

Grizz that roadster sounds really wicked hey. I'd love to some video of that in action. I must say though that @ $40 a pop, tyres might become an expensive commodity no doubt! But heck isn;t everything expensive in this hobby? Drifting that little beast sounds very cool. I still trying to visualise using PVC piping as tyres though. That I gotta see.

Dave the Mugen MBX5 along with the Xray XB8 are basically the 2 leading pure racing brands. You really can't buy much better than those 2 buggies. It goes without saying that you get what you paid for with these buggies. Here in Oz those 2 buggies are something like AUS$900-$1000. They are pure pro kits that you build and they dont come with radio gear, engine or exhaust so add the cost of those on top and you've quickly spent $1500. So anyway basically you simply cant compare the hurricane to the MBX5 and you certianly cant compare a 1/10 to a 1/8 either. It would be like comparing a porsche to a mini! lol So which one you get really depends on what you pay and what you want to get out of it I suppose. If you intend to race you'd obviously go for the mugen but if you're just wanting to bash it around then the hurricane is perfect for exactly that. Doesn;t mean you cant race the hurricane though. Quite to the contrary its a great performer but it just doesn;t have the features of a fully blown race car. Which one to get is a personal choice. I think they come with or without all the alloy hopups. I'm not really convinced that any of that alloy stuff actually makes much of a difference to the buggy in the end. One thing it does add is considerable weight to an already weighty buggy.
Anyway when it comes down to it for US$300 you really cant beat it for value. Enough said.

Where's Louis disappeared to?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Jas the Ace

I should also mention that if anyone intends to use PVC on the rear wheels, the car should have a transmission and not a centre diff like most single speeds have. A gearbox has almost direct drive to the front and rear wheels, where a single speed centre diff type car will only transfer drive to the most free spinning wheels. If we took one axle out of a single speed buggy with a centre diff the buggy will not go anywhere, but if we did the same to a buggy with a gearbox we would still get drive to the opposite end. So basically speaking if someone puts pvc on their rear wheels and the car sits there and spins the pvc, that car would have a standard open centre, centre diff. If the car drives and steers and has its ass swinging out all over the place and puts a big grin on your face you have a drifter with a gearbox and a heck of a days fun. I am not sure how competitive it would be if you were trying to win a race, but if carpark bashing/drifting was all you want I think pvc rears will save heaps of rubber and plastic paper from the hip pocket too.
I hope some of this makes sense, if anyone wants to correct anything I mentioned or want to add to what I mentioned, please feel free to do so. I have not had personal experience with the drifting, but just putting 2 & 2 together makes all wheel drive even more fun. Cheers guys.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Jas the Ace

ooops!! I forgot to add a link in my last post, just a basic bit of video action of my locals last bash. Of course I am not in it again, but looking at it I think I'd better get down there this weekend. There is some footage of a truck that looks similar to my Losi Aftershock and Grrrrrrr it feels like someone has taken the blood from my veins. I like to have something different, but now I don't. Even my baby Bazooka will be doubled up very soon!! But at least I have 2 advantages with my bazza's over the one my mate is getting. Grizz, Mozz know what I'm on about, team work, lol. Maybe I should change my name to Bazz........we could be Grizz, Mozz, and Bazz, the three zz'z.
I have to shut up now, I'm speaking sh**....here is the link, http://www.youtube.com/v/eq1k_JU4yVY
And I will ask the same question mozz, where is louis? I hope he didn't drink his home brew fuel as an experiment!!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 AM
grizz1

Where is Louis ????? so quite from his direction.

Got that 2 speed working fine now. Just trimmed a couple of mm off the spring, all that was needed.
Had minor disaster today. Blating around my cul-de-sac setting the change point on the 2 speed when a neighbour (woman driver) backed over my car [:@]. I was bloody lucky, as I saw it coming and yelled out. She stopped - but not until she had driven over the left front wheel, destroying the wheel and tyre and smashing the shock absorber. Could have been a lot worse. A few cm more and bye-bye car. She would have driven right over it front to back. Unbelievable [&:]
So it's off to the LHS tomorrow for a new shock unit, a new rim and some new rubber. I was very controlled and polite by the way. No mention of woman drivers or swear words (not out aloud anyway).
Old 10-10-2007, 01:19 AM
Jas the Ace

Geez....that would make a man cry. At least you are able to get parts locally and get back into the action again. My envelope is on it's way to you grizz, I coloured in some A4 paper with some goldcoast pics just to remind you of what you left behind, hehehe. It went through the post on Tuesday so it should be pretty close to landing on your side of the ocean as we speak. I think I know where that money will be going when you get it lol.
Cheers for the pm mozz, I will keep an eye out for it friday or early next week sometime. I can't wait to hear it screaming in my buggy.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:51 AM
mozzzy_2000

Jas it was posted today so yes keep an eye out for the box! I look forward to hearing about it when you get it running. Should fire up straight up on the HB444 25% real sweet. Gonna miss that engine but I am glad that it goes to someone who will be eager to use it. Its definately been a dam good engine in the limited times I have used it so I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Hey grizz man ya gotta watch those pesky neighbours! Gee I thats happened a few times to me actually right out in front of my house so I really dont like to run it there on the road. It also kinda freaks people out cuz they dont wanna run over it but they often dont know what to do when suddenly this things darts in front of them. Man you are so so lucky there was minor damage. Someone upstairs was definately looking over you that day! lol

"Earth to Louis?" "Earth to Louis?" He hasn't been drinking his fuel again has he? lol
Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 AM
grizz1

Jas - envelope arrived safely buddy. I have sent you an e-mail too. Nice pics by the way. Brings back memories I can tell you. You have an auto camera like mine mate. Auto zooms to eye candy - he he he
Old 10-12-2007, 06:11 AM
mozzzy_2000

geez sounds like we're all wheelin' and dealing hey? lol
Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 PM
bocajrs

Hello,

Purchased a Hurricane XP a couple of weeks ago and love it. I was on the track last weekend and slammed it agaimst the plastic guardrails.

My steering was out of whack, had to re-tighten servo screw. Can anyone tell me if this servo from OFNA would work as replacement.

OFNA Aluminum CNC Double Servo Arm Blue OFN10741

Thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 09:11 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it will work, it has the adapters to fit most all servo's.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:48 AM
grizz1

Hi guys - Today was a BAD day [&o] Double bads news. Firstly I severely bent my XUT truggy in a most spectacular cartwheel. Bent both front and rear shock towers, bent and snapped rear chassis brace and possibly bent the chassis as well. I will have to compare with my friends XUT to see what it should look like before I attempt to straighten things out. But worse still was the news that we are losing our track Developer has bought the land and levelling starts this week. We may get to use it for one more weekend next week, but they will have it level and be a building on it before Xmas. We are all shattered by the news. The owner of the land told the club nothing until this week. It is a large piece of prime industrial land (of which the track takes up a corner) which he purchased for 3 million 6 years ago. They then built NZ's largest shopping centre just across the road 2 years ago and he sold it for 30 million last month. Can't blame him for that !!! Wish I had a spare 3 million lying around, I would do the same thing
Lucky I bought my on-roader as our summer dirt track meets are all off. Looks like I will be drifting and tarmac racing my way through summer until something else is sorted out.
We do have another official track not far away, but it is only open every second Sunday and is locked to the public outside of race days, plus they charge you to use it as well.
Ah well, life goes on [8D]
Old 10-13-2007, 04:34 AM
Jas the Ace

Sounds like you'll have to dig up the council land next door. Either that or retire 20 years early and come and play on our track. So what did you hit with the truggy and at what speed? Sounds pretty spectacular, I bet you didn't even catch it on video. Would have been good to see.
If your not breaking it, your not having fun!! The bigger the damage, the more fun you had doing it!!
So is this what happenned? You were attempting to jump a 4 story building, 3 buses, 6 cars, and 12 people, but a female neighbour started her car in her driveway and you panicked and hit a tree at 98km/h?
Haha, I do feel sorry for you mate. There is nothing worse than coming home with a destroyed car. You better stay home tomorrow and watch Kiwi's lose to the Kangaroo's.
Fingers crossed for Casey Stoner in the GP at Phillip Island tomorrow, then the same for Will Power at the Gold Coast Indy next weekend. Oh, and I hope you win the Red Bull Air race Mozzzy, lol.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM
grizz1

Well Jas it really wasn't my fault (yeah, yeah). It´s true !!! I was flat out down the back straight which has developed a big dip in the ground at it´s fastest point. I hit the brakes a little early trying to cut under another truggy going into the hairpin at the end of the straight. When I braked hard the front dipped and caught the lip of this depression, and over she goes trev !! Cartwheeled a few times, then flipped up really high and came down hard on the rear wing. Both front body clips got torn out, body came off and things got bent.
That´s the only trouble with the truggies, when they hit hard like that they have more weight and momentum behind them so they tend to hurt themselves a bit more than buggies. 3.6 kg travelling that fast takes a bit of stopping. The rear brace I need is out of stock locally, so it will be a while before I can get one. Poor old girl is looking a bit sad actually. I think I have bent the chassis at the rear, as I straightened both shock towers last night but it still looks out of kilter and the body won´t fit at all. Might be time for a full strip down and spring overhaul I think. This is the first really major damage in over a years bashing and racing so I guess I was overdue
No video unfortunately. You guys would have loved it - very spectacular (an most likely very expensive [&o]).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.