Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:10 AM
mozzzy_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

LOL hey grizz I can just picture it so clearly hey! Ah well that's what this hobby/sport is all about i reckon. I personally find huge stacks immensely satisfying in my opinion. Having said that though if the damage is bad I guess it hits ya on the hip pocket. But man you've had pretty hassle free motoring though if thats the first or only damage you've done in over a year. Ya gotta be pretty happy with that no doubt. Hopefully when you get down to it there isn;t much damage done. Stuff can be bent back reasonably well if you do it carefully enough. I didn;t actually think that truggies would sustain more damage but it does sound logical since there is more mass being thrown about than a buggy. I'll think you'll find too that truggys weight closer to about 4kgs when all loaded up so yeah its a fair amount when flying through the air and ploughing into the the ground.
But gee grizz ya not having much luck lately are ya mate?! So ya loosing that land now? Man thats a huge bummer especially with summer almost upon us. So is there any plans to locate somewhere else?

Hey Jas that package wouldn;t have shown up yet would it?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:52 AM
Jas the Ace

Nah mozzz, I'll give it a couple more days, I didn't expect to see it last week, but it should be getting pretty close. I am contemplating not having a cheap weekend on the Goldcoast this weekend just so I can take my toys out for a well earned bash. It would be a nice atmosphere on the coast with the indy being on, but there will be so many idiots on the roads and waters, it might be best if I stayed at home, see how I go.
On the subject of pro racing, Casey Stoner did a wonderful job winning the moto GP at Phillip Island, what a talented rider he is, another well bread aussie. All we need now is for Will Power to win the indy on the coast.
Hey mozz, do I need a specific clutch for that engine? I have 2 types of clutch set ups here that come off .21's so one of them should do the job.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:29 AM
mozzzy_2000

yeah i didnt think it would be there. Stupid thing is with domestic oz mail is that it usually ends up slower than international mail. Figure that one out. Anyway yeah with the clutch I had no problems in my buggy using standard composite or carbon shoes but I would advise to use stiff springs if you can. Like 1.1mm if you are looking for specifics but I reckon the stiffer springs really suit that engine in that it allows it to spool up before having an explosive launch. If you usually run alloy shoes then that would bite even harder but I never ran them myself. The one thing I would say is that I would strongly suggest you use a hardened clutch bell because from my experience standard CBs cannot sustain the power that these sort of engines produce and they usually get 'eaten' within a few tanks. You wont have such problems with a hardened CB though. Also with the power of this engine you can experiment with the size of CB as there is heaps of torque so you can often go up a Tooth or 2. That's pretty much all I'd suggest. I would look at a HD CB no matter what clutch you end up using.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:45 PM
mozzzy_2000

Hey grizz found these drift tyres on ebay. Maybe worth checking these out for your new roadster I reckon. They look like they might be what you are looking for.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOT-NEW-HPI-D...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Jas the Ace

Woohooo!!! Got home today and found the parcel I've been dreaming about for quite some time. Inside was that lean, green, screaming machine you posted me mozz!!! One guess what I will be tinkering with tonight. I think I forgot to ask you mozz about which exhaust did you run on it. I have the factory SH Lion exhaust from memory, I would have to double check that, but that should breath ok on this engine right? I know different exhausts for different conditions etc, but was there any special one you run on it?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 AM
mozzzy_2000

Awesome mate! Wow that arrived a lot quicker than I expected. Great to hear it got to you in one piece. I always have reservations sending expensive and breakable items in the mail.
Anyway yeah mate I used to run this engine in my torpeda/hurricane with the very same stock SH pipe. I have run that sirio on a few different pipes and its a very versatile engine in that regard. I think that SH pipe is a torque pipe so it really beefs up the sirio on the bottom end whilst still retaining its awesome top end. Having said that it has tonnes of bottom end anyway so I tried a top end pipe on it and it unleashed a beast giving it insane top end.
So yeah dude get into it and get that little green monster mounted!! You should find it should run good temps around 250F if its in tune so if you find its over heating in your Qld weather its obviously too lean for your climate. Conversely I actually think that since its bound to be more humid where you are that you'll probably find its running rich on the settings I last used.
Geez I am almost as eager as you to get that thing up and running again. Gee its a killer engine and if you've never ran an top end Italian racing engine before, then you are in for a huge supprise and smiles all round will be the order of the day!!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 AM
Mercyful Fate

Hi All, Don't get to post much. I own a hurricane Xp seems to be ok buggy. The only problem I;ve have is that every time I run the thing I have to buy a new part. First it was the steering servo 2 times. Then it was the fuel tank. They are only minor problems. Now this brings me to the latest problem. I'm not sure what all the correct part names are so I will try. I striped the gear that is on the end of the motor shaft. May be called the clutch gear. Striped the big gear on the diffrental. Replacing the small gear was no problem. But the big gear is another story. When I replaced the gear I can't get the thing to turn in oppiste directions It seems to be to tight. Is there anyone that know a trick or if I'm doing something wrong any help would be helpful.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:42 AM
Mercyful Fate

Just replaed the gear on the end of the motor and the gear on the diffrental and the diffrental seems to be to tight and don't want to turn in the oppesite direction any tips or tricks or help.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:45 AM
grizz1

Hi Mercyful Fate - sounds like you might have the shiming wrong on that diff. The bearing on the crown wheel side normally requires a couple of shims to make the crown wheel seat properly against the pinion gear. If you have too many shims on one side or the other it will jam the crown wheel against the housing or jam it so tight into the pinion gear that they won´t turn. Maybe assemble the diff with no shims at all and just see if it turns ok, then work out what you need to set the gears properly. My Bazooka had 4 shims on the crown wheel side and one on the other side, so maybe try that as a starting point.

Cheers for that link Mozz. I am at work at present and can't access E-Bay via our intranet system (they lock out popular sites so we can´t spend all night surfing at their expense), but I will check it out at home tomorrow.

Jas, sounds like you are creating a monster there mate. One of the guys had an Axe Rossi running hard at the track the other day and it sounded wicked. I am not familiar with the engine you have, but if it is a pure bred Italian engine I´m picking it will go and sound just like that one. You will be stoked mate
Old 10-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Mercyful Fate

Did not mean to ask the same ? twice intert is screw up and very slow . Land line if anyone still knows what that is?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:53 AM
Mercyful Fate

I will check on that but I don't think there were any shims on it when I took it off. Can you buy these shims
Old 10-16-2007, 04:56 AM
grizz1

Jas - PM´d you mate.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:06 AM
mozzzy_2000

Mercyful Fate you're most likelt confused with what grizz said because he confused me! lol sorry grizz! I think grizz is referring to the front and rear diffs which do have shims on the outdrives so they sit snuggly in their respective gear boxes. However the centre diff does not have or need any shims to mount it in the center diff cradle.
I'd say the binding you are experiencing is most likelt caused by the internal gears within the diff itself. I'd suggest diassembling the diff and rebuilding to see where its binding. Just a question; when you replaced the main spur gear did you re-grease or add oil to the inside of the diff case?

Grizz yeah I sold Jas my Sirio Kanai .21. Awesome engine and yes it should sound very angry indeed! lol
Old 10-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Jas the Ace

Mercy, firstly if you removed and refitted the engine to replace the clutch bell ( I am guessing that is the little gear on the engine you are referring to) just make sure the mesh is fine there. If you just put the engine back on and the gears aren't alingned properly you will experience similar symptoms. Basically you would want the teeth of the gears to mesh about the middle of the teeth. About this level ( -V- ) is good, and this level ( _V_ ) is to tight. Not sure if my little pics are any good to explain it.
Secondly if you also had a go at one diff and you know the CB mesh is fine, then there will be a problem with the assembly of that diff, it could be a simple shim adjustment as mentioned by the others. I do recall reading something here on diff shims etc a while ago, might be worth flicking back and having a read. If all was well before the repairs, and now you have a problem after the repairs, the problem will be within those 2 areas you mentioned, or unless you have a 3rd problem that you don't know about.
Hope I haven't confused anyone with this, if anyone can explain it better or more clearly, or even correct me, please feel free. This is why we are here. To assist and be assisted.
Mozz that engine is still pretty tight hey, I can't wait to fire it up!! My heartbeat is increasing just thinking about it, lol.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:48 PM
grizz1

Hey, sorry if I confused the issue there guys. I thought you were talking about a front or rear diff I should mention though that the centre diffs on both my buggy and truggy have shims front and rear to set them in the in the cradle correctly. Maybe it is just a GS Racing thing, but I am sure my Bazooka had shims on the centrte diff too. Anyway I won't confuse you guys any further. I will let Mozz and Jas follow up on this little brain teaser I have a sick truggy to tend to [] Actually it's not all that bad. Upon a complete strip down front and rear I had to straighten both shock towers and carefully bend a small kink out of the chassis tray between the engine and the rear diff housing. All back together now, just waiting on a new rear chassis brace from A-Main Hobbies which should be here in 10 - 12 days I hope. Just to give you an idea of the impact the old girl took - the rear chassis brace was bent to a 50 deg angle at the bottom end and the threaded tip of the brace which screws into a plastic securing clip had snapped off. The brace did it's job and took all the punishment, leaving the drive shafts and other more delicate bits unharmed. I guess that's why you don't want your bracing too bomb-proof and rigid. A little bit of give isn't a bad thing.
Later guys - [8D]
Old 10-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Mercyful Fate

Hey Mozz, I did not re-grease or add any oil. the funny thing is that if you back the four screws off about 1/8 of a turn it will turn fine. It is when I tighen the screws tight that it won't turn.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 PM
mozzzy_2000

Hey Jas trust YOU to confuse the issue! haha jks! Interesting grizz because I checked ALL my buggys/trucks and not one of them require shims in the centre diff cradle. Strange huh? All front & rear diffs have them but the centre does not. My centre diffs sit really tightly in the cradle and the bearings fit snuggly in their respective holders. I'd say its most likely an individual brand by brand thing most likely.

Ok Mercyful Fate sounds like I was right with the internals of the diff. What you are experiencing is not uncommon when something hasn;t been put back properly or something not sitting right within the diff. Ok since you have not re-greased or oiled the internals and its still binding you will have to rebuild it. I suggest pulling all apart and cleaning out all the residual grease so everything is clean and and as such everything should move smoothly if put back properly. Before adding silicone just build the diff cup half first and make sure all the gears turn freely. Then pop on the crown wheel half and again see if its still smooth. Then screw it up tight but dont over torque the screws down. Again it should move freely. Then if it checks out ok then open it up again and refill with a quality silicone diff oil with a weight of 10000wt. If however you get that far only for it to still be binding then something has to be wrong with the assembly. I'd also check the actually diff case as well just in case thats split or cracked for some inexplicable reason. There really is no other way I can suggest apart from this trial and error process to find out where the 'bottle neck' is occuring. From memory there should be shims on ALL the internal planetary gears of the diff. Its very easy to miss these when rebuilding and if you miss any of these it will most likely result in the gears binding. Anyway dont be afraid to ask for more assistance in the matter if you're still stuck!

Grizz sounds like the damage report wasn;t quite extreme in the end or as in most cases, just bend everything back hey. Yeah stiffness of the chassis is quite critical in the way a buggy/truck handles hey. I certianly didn;t realise how much until I took my inferno onto a really soft bumpy piece of sand where it was next to impossible to control. Thats because I had finetuned so much for grass that it was totally inappropriate for soft or bumpy tracks. I had it sooo suped up and rock solid that it really was impossible to drive on a bumpy track so even taking a chassis brace off makes a drastic distance. But yes going back to what you were saying; I think its very smart to have particular purpose designed weak points. It makes sense really to have a part that absorbs the impact of several other parts only to give way when it all gets too much. Thats why I like the hurricane so much. I love the way they incorporated that sprung bumper into the buggy. Something I have not seen in other vehicles. In a headon that sprung bumper will purposefully break taking all the impact away from the drive train. Its a very simple but smart part. To be honest since most of my mishaps tend to be headon collisions, that part is really one of 2 or 3 parts that I have every actually broken in my hurricane and that;s one of the main reasons I find the hurricane/bazooka to be a very good platform to start on.

And Jas yeah mate I told that sirio has done maybe no more than about 6L. Could be less but in any case it still is largely unstained in the inside and as you've noted its still tight as a nun's bum! lol Infact you'll probably find that the next few litres of fuel will be the "sweet spot" of the engines life as they tend to get better the more you use them to a certain point. I have heard some people remark that their sirios are still tight after 20L!! So that should give you an indication of the quality of these engines. Get into it!!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:17 AM
grizz1

Cheers Mozzy. Hey your right about that sprung bumper on the Bazooka. I thought it it was a simple but ingenious idea, and I can't imagine why other manufacturers have not done the same thing. It just makes so much sense !! Maybe they want to sell lots of replacement parts so they leave their front assemblies standard ??
Those Sirio engines sound nasty good (if that makes sense [:-]) I can´t wait to see some video of the Ace burning it up in Ipswich
Hope you guys get out over the weekend and burn some nitro. Our weather has packed it in again (still !!) but I will try and get out for a bash at some stage. Wet roads with the on-roader perhaps [>:]. I just picked up a nice Nissan Skyline body for the on-roader on our Trade Me auction site for $25 (factory painted, transfers etc). So will be drilling mounting and cooling holes in that over the weekend too. It should look real sharp.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 AM
Jas the Ace

Well I went and took the clutch off my retired force engine and noticed one of the 3 springs was bent all out of shape. The small leg that clips onto the nut on the shaft for the tension had some how bent back in the other direction, maybe it was weak and when I removed it the tool just bent the spring backwards or something. So now I will have to get either a new clutch assembly or just some new springs, depends on what my local lads have available. Darn....no progress tonight with the new donk. It's not fair, why does it always have to be one of the smallest and most times cheapest part that prevents the big bit from working? Hehe, lol....ahhh the pleasures of having a hobby, lol.
Speaking of fair, in a very amateur buggy race, would it be concidered unfair if the winner used a truggy with buggy wheels? Or would that just be concidered as a buggy with different gearing? I haven't studied any official race standards yet, so I thought I would ask the question.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Mercyful Fate

Mozzzy, I would like to thank you in advance for the help. I will give it a try over the next few days. Work way to much.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:44 AM
mozzzy_2000

No worries dude!

Yeah Jas time to get some new springs and whilst you are at it you might as well get some new shoes to. You'll get better performance from that engine if you start with a fresh new clutch. Scott(nitrolst) sells good clutch sets from the hyper 7 at $30 which is unbeatable really. Although they are just standard 1mm clutch springs which will be more than fine but the throttle response will be a be more linear and sedate. Thats why I prefer 1.1mm springs for that bottom end punch and launch. Can make a hell of a difference with some engines hey.
In regards to your question smaller wheels on a truggy I'm not sure it would acheive much actually. Just looking at my truggy; it looks totally ridiculous with buggy wheels it aint funny! lol but for one yes the gearing would be all wrong. Truggys are indeed geared for the larger wheels so if you put smaller buggy wheels on not only would you have not as much traction but you probably spin the wheels too much or it would have lightning acceleration with a lousy top end. I dont know for sure to be honest! lol
Hey has anyone heard from Louis of late?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:41 AM
Jas the Ace

Cheers mozz, yeah this mate of mine said he won the buggy class at one of our little clubs bash days. He did not have a buggy so he put buggy wheels and whatever else on and ran his truggy in the buggy class. The quick launching and low end speed makes sense now you mentioned it, as our track is small and tight, and none of them in the club can drive very well on a track. Don't panic, I'm not going to be waving any protest flags as it is only just a bunch of happy bashers getting into it for fun on a Sunday arvo, but I might do some reading just to make sure that there is no disadvantages to the genuine competitor that wants to have a proper go at things.
I better get some practice in soon, another mate is getting his first buggy in a couple of weeks (Bazooka of course) for his Birthday. So I don't want to have an ameteur showing up a mildly experienced ameteur.

Louis....earth to louis....stop bathing in nitro louis.....Maybe he has joined the world pro circuit?...?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:04 AM
mozzzy_2000

How much is the hurricane/bazooka selling in Oz thesedays? I saw one the otherday, online of course, that was about $299 I think which I thought was a I pretty sweet deal!

Yes where is Louis? Hope he's alright hey.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Jas the Ace

Not to sure on what my mates mrs paid for the surprise birthday pressy, it was pretty darn good price. From memory she paid under $350au, it may have been $300. Bit hard to find out at the moment cos it's not his birthday yet, and it is difficult to talk to his mrs when he is around. I recall the pic she showed me of the advert and it looks like a current model and not one of the older style. Not that there is any difference apart from the cosmetics and maybe a slightly better manufactured vertex engine, but I am yet to see the actual delivered item they got. For the money she wanted to spend she got a top little buggy, brand new, and thankfully they didn't get the more expensive, poorer quality other brand RTR from the local Toyworld or similar. I do feel bad though, cos when she enquired about these things I told her that the buggy is what everyone has and is the best item to get, (and still is), but now everyone has been hit by the truggy trend in my area. That suits me down to a tea, cos if everyone is racing truggies, that means me and me mate will be guaranteed a podium finish at every meet with 2 or 3 buggies in an event. The way things are going I could end up being a world champion in buggy class, now wouldn't that open some eyes. lol. But yeah mozz, these things as you know have always been cheap to buy, still very cheap to buy, and have a WOW factor of 110%. I won't give mine up untill it gets flattened by a steam roller.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:45 AM
mozzzy_2000

Have you got that clutch sorted out yet? I am anxious to see what you think of that engine! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.