Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Alex73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

hey guys,
I have not used mine in ages then i got back into it. But now i have broken my pull starter cord and need to replace this before i can run it again. I miss it like crazy.
I wish i was as good as you grizz5. I am currently doing the opposite. more and more projects. I now have 2 boats (cat and an eco), the hurricane, a mini-t. tc4 and just started a 4wd f1 car.
What did you up grade from? i have a dx3.0.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:15 AM
grizz5

Hi Alex73 - good to hear from you again.
I upgraded from the 3.0 to the new DX3R, and upgraded recievers to the new generation SR3100 units. When you combine this set up with digital servos you get super fast response times and operating speeds. The difference is quite noticable.
My big clean out - yep, well I had to do something. I had about 18 months worth of "stuff" lying around doing nothing. You probably know the story. Pipes you experimented with, old shocks you upgraded, spare motors you bought and never used etc, etc. In the end I got around $1500 back in my pocket, some of which went on the new DX3 and some racing spares, while the rest is stashed away for this summers racing expenses
The better half is happy, and my spare room / workshop is a lot tidier
It's good to have lots of projects to keep you occupied. I am a keen golfer, and run a custom club making and repair business as well as my full time job in the Fire Service. By the time I fit my nitro fix in there I don't have a lot of spare time to be bored. Except when we have really bad weather like we are having now. No golf, no nitro [&o] Still spring will be here in a couple of months
Take care - grizz [8D]
Old 08-08-2008, 05:11 PM
bocajrs

Default RE: "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Hello,

I want to increase start speed on my hurricane xp, can anyone tell me if replacing clutch springs will do the trick. Also i'd like to retrofit my hurricane xp with Monster Tires, has anyone done this? If so, which tires should i use?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2008, 04:53 AM
zaintlouis

Hi Griz good to hear from you. wow nice upgrades, what servos have you put on those top gun receivers ha? dose it mean it would exceed on the actual servo speed? anyways, good to know your business is still going strong. it would also keep your hobby going and going lol.

well as for me i'ts goodbye for online gaming, my main character in 2moons got banned for hacking lol.

just bought the Q world starterbox. it's cool! bigger motor and bigger belts. i 'm back to my redcat! i better check the receiver, my throttle servo has some response problem. so scary to make it run. i think i better check the terminals.

what happened to mozzy? jazz still coming here?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:09 PM
zaintlouis

OMG my spectrum just died! what's going on with my spectrum 3000 it's not responding no more? is it dead? or do i need to rebind them again?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM
TTR_EB4

i dont have a spektrum but it would hurt trying to re-bind them wouldnt it?

Mike

been very quiet on here latly,
Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 AM
zaintlouis

i tried that but there's no power on the receiver, one of the wire got disconnected - the cause could due the frequency of removing the batts. fixed it finally. i got it running back again but i made a terrible accident. i hit an 12 yo child at full speed as i made my test run on the street. [] i feel so bad about myself. i did my fail safe positioned at full break with the steering directed to the left just incase. i dunno what the hell happened the battery weakened i lost the signal and it went straight to the child. [&o] anyway the child is ok now and i saw no signs of severe injuries. but she's hurt so bad. i did the binding by the book. i know i did it right.

really so quiet here huh? during my days with mozzy jazz griz and others we reply to each other everyday. we even shared pictures so we can imagine how we laugh or smile when we say "lol" hehehe. Well, sometimes we find others stuff so good to get busy with and we tend to leave temporarily a good forum site knowing that they will always be there but not.

damn i have no budget yet to buy 3100 receiver. nothing left on my Crawler project. Grizz how much is your receiver? just wondering it might be cheaper on your HS

Old 10-02-2008, 06:09 AM
grizz5

Hi Louis and all the other guys. Just jumped on this thread by chance and saw your posts. Like the old days

Man, that sounded like a close thing Louis. Glad the kiddy is OK. 3kg of Redcat into the leg would have been painful. It's pretty unusual for the Spektrum stuff to come unbound, but I guess it can happen.

I got one of my SR3100 recievers from A Main (US$99). My HS sells them here for NZ$155. They are a nice unit. You need the newer DX3R controller and digital servos to get the max performance out of them. The DX3R is great. I had the 3.0 before and I can honestly say I noticed a huge difference when I went to the newer DX3R. If you are running digital servos you can set the frame rate to 5.5 msecs, as oppossed to 11 msec or slower for other units.
Louis, I run two Ace 1015 15 kg servos in my buggy. They are the servo of choice here for off-road. 15 kg torque at .108 sec - not bad. 15 kg on the throttle/brake is a little bit of overkill, but the throttle response is awesome and you can brake as hard as you like with that sort of torque too. Running a Chamelion 2700 mAh 5 cell hump pack for up to one hour finals (plenty of grunt needed because of the 2 x 15 kg servos).
I met up with Jas while on holiday in Australia last month. It was great to finally meet the person behind the keyboard face to face

Take care guys. Will check in on this thread more often now it's come back to life a little more [8D]
Old 10-02-2008, 07:00 AM
Jas the Ace

[sm=shades_smile.gif] Hi team, just passing through and noticed some lights on in the room. Thought I'd pop in and say g'day.

Man I miss this stuff...

I haven't had a good chance to run any nitro for a while, not since I mounted that Sirio I bought off mozz, and that was quite a long time ago.
At times I had thought of having a sell off myself and just having one car for my spare time, but when I look at my collection I simply can't part with any of them at all!!

Louis, sorry to here about the little accident with the poor kid. Thankfully she is ok. I have suffered a broken toe from a high speed impact a couple years ago, thankfully my shoe absorbed a lot of the impact. I have also seen other grown men drop to the ground in severe pain after being hit at slow speeds by these things. As careful as we are in ensuring the safety of others that are fascinated by our sports, accidents like this do unfortunately happen from time to time. So don't feel to guilty about it mate.

Yes Grizz it sure was great to catch up with you on the beatiful gold coast. It is great to catch up and put real life figures to our names and have a chat face to face. Did I send you that email about the hail storm I got and busted my house up?

I better send this off cos I just remembered that this site tends to time out quite a lot and everything gets lost.

Will catch up soon team.

The J
Old 10-03-2008, 02:14 PM
zaintlouis

HI Jazz, Hi Griz so good to see u both.

my spectrum 3000 will be good at the moment, got 2 hitec digital tinanium servos on it. fail safe still works just fine but when receiver power suddenly cuts off during speeding it will remain to that position. my receiver battery connector came lose and that's how it ran wild and went straight to the kid, sigh.. well got it fix now.

On my redcat i'm using ace 1313 on my steering, i tried mg995 but didn't last so i i need another replacement. i was about to order ace 1015 at amain but got some ordering problem so i transfered to another store at rcmart unforntunately they dont sell ace servo (grrrrrr!) so i got me another hitec tg for my throttle. i really love Ace i can put a return spring on 1313, hitec tg's are so hard to turn.

jas, i have also thought of selling my other r/c's but the hard work i put on it is the one that's holding me to discard the others, i was able to buy a crawler conversion kit for my clod buster lol, i almost give away my clod but when i saw the conversion kits from junfac.com i was amazed by the designs so my hands got itchy wichy again and so boom! mother paypal here i come!!

My cousin wants to buy my redcat but my front frt suspension conversion to mp777 hhhmmm duhh no way id rather see it rot in my rc garage lol

really nice u two have met, i'm gonna need to win a lottery before i could see you both lol or maybe you both could pay a visit on me and go to the wonderful beaches of Dakak Beach resort huh hehehe

Old 10-06-2008, 11:04 PM
grizz5

Hmmm - Beach Resort, sounds good

No more trips until next winter - got to fill the piggy bank up again []

Didn't get that E-mail re the hail storm Jas, sounds spectacular. Was that just after we left the coast. I heard the weather turned to sh-t after we got home.

Good days racing on Sunday. Lots of new cars on the scene. The new Hot Bodies D8 (very impressive for the price), XRay 808, and Mugen MBX6. We are building up to our National Champs (at my home track) in mid November.

Later, Grizz [8D]
Old 10-08-2008, 03:10 AM
zaintlouis

Any videos you got in there on your previous races? let's make this thread like radio control car action thread so more people will be pls and drop by Remarkable coverage on the part oh RCCA on the IFMAR World, i salute them! it just means that the world of r/c hobbyist is growing stronger

well, i'd like to build another bashing video, got to get my buggies running. I spend a lot buyinga rock crawler conversion kit plus the Zero shocks from junfac.com for my clod [:@] now i got nothing to buy new battery pack for my receivers lol damn i can't pullout a single penny on my wallet lol! i also made a mistake buying a 70 dollar ESC, coz they said it's much better to buy waterproof types sigh.

Hey fellas, do you think putting an alloy wishbone arms in front of the buggy will help balance the cg of our buggies? i was wondering of having plastic wishbone arms in the rear and alloy in frt. perhaps this could help our buggies fly better.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:49 PM
huminski
My Feedback: (23)

Hi, I'm looking into buying a Hurricane. Probably the XP but will get the Pro if I can find a good price. Where is the best place to pick one up online? Reply here or email me at sch1234 at gmail dot com.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 AM
zaintlouis

If i can still remember try www.Exportpro.biz
Old 10-09-2008, 08:36 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow there is life on this thread....hay guys nice to see yall are doin well...good to see ya Griz and Jas...hello Zaint.....I got me a new buggy and I hadnt seen any life here for awhile so I guess I quit checking....hey Grizz you know anything about the sh. 21 8ports???...I got one on my new buggy with a high spd dynamite pipe...havent broke it in yet..Just wondering what ya think bout em
Old 10-10-2008, 12:47 AM
zaintlouis

You got yourself an rxb1! how much did you get it for? i like that buggy! is there big bore shocks available for that buggy?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:40 PM
firebird78

you can get it for about $300...as of yet himoto doesnt offer big bore shocks but im sure big bores will fit...currently I havent got big bores on it but they are my next purchase...the upgrades besides the engine and pipe I have done are replacing the center and rear dog bones in favor of cv shafts...front and rear billet shock towers..and I doubled up on the brakes on each side...havent ran it yet to see how that works out...Im thinking putting big bore shocks and a nomadio radio with some good servos (if yall have suggestions on good servos let me know) I'll be done with upgrades...I havent decided if I wanna try a carbon fiber front upper plate and servo plate yet...I'll keep ya up on what big bores I buy and how they fit
Old 10-12-2008, 02:31 AM
zaintlouis

kyosho bigbores would run about 160$ frt and rear whew. that's a lot for just an damper set whew!

take off one rear brake disc on your rear. the three will hold strong enough even at high speeds (taking off the rear disc will also help reduce the weigh on the rear section). just use the high end 1013 or 1313 ace digital servos, or the Titanium D servos if you use hitec brands. well i just speak from my experience there are so many choices though.

carbon fibers are good for racing, they are strong and lightweight than allloy. for upper and servo plates they would be just fine but not on shock towers coz they will break. But there is an exception for the semi carbonfiber/alloy shock towers from kfactory product they're cool and can fit our redcats.

you got one hell of an r/c gears huh! keep it up and more power fire! your name speaks for itself hehe
Old 10-12-2008, 06:34 AM
{GBI}Harryball

If your looking for big bores, look at the casterracingusa.com site. I think they sell them for the 1/8 buggy class. I know they do for the 1/8 truggy.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:18 AM
zaintlouis

this years IFMAR Champion buggy D8 with big bores shocks cost 380$ US, if big bores like kyoshos cost 160$ for the whole set then the D8 buggy just cost around 220$ lol. ok let me check casterracing they might have an affordable bigbores. Damn rock crawlers cost me a lot. now i'm financially handicapped lol
Old 10-13-2008, 03:34 AM
grizz5

Hey firebird 78 - good to see your still hanging out on the site. Don't know much about the SH motors sorry.

If your looking for big bore shocks, try the GS racing 16mm big bores. They are wicked. I run them on my CL1-Advanced and they can really take the punishment. Feel nice too. Run 500wt front and 400wt rear with the Blue GS springs and the large 1.4 pistons (if you like a harder feeling shock just swap to the 1.3 pistons, same oils).
AMain stock them in the GS racing section.

Louis - My trusty Go 7 Port just died !!! I had a throttle servo fail and jam on near full throttle a couple of weeks ago. Motor seemed OK and I ran another meeting last weekend. Was cleaning and checking the buggy yesterday and discovered the motor had almost no compression [] Stripped it down and found a large gouge the full length of the piston and sleeve. plus the con rod big end bush was shot - lots of slop. I think what happened is that the rod got stretched when the throttle jammed open and it has been just lightly contacting the bottom of the crankcase at BDC. Some filings from this contact found their way into the bore and ZAP - one dead motor.
Total rebuild including new bearings coming up. Annoying because the motor was just over 2 gallons and was really making nice power. Never mind, it will be new again soon.
My Stage 5 Massive Mods 5 Port just landed in the coutry today, so that will be going in my buggy anyway, with the 7 Port being my back up motor, just in case
I've had a bad week with motors. The old .18 in my thrash and bash on-road expired last week too. Just old age (nearly 200 tanks) and too many full throttle runs around the car park track !! Replaced it with a nice little GS .12RR race motor which was on special for $199 - nice Sort of an expensive fortnight, but thats the first motor glitches I've had in over two years of running nitro, so I guess I was overdue eh [8D]
Old 10-13-2008, 07:34 PM
firebird78

I'll check em out yall...thanks a bunch
Old 10-13-2008, 07:44 PM
trpastor

Hey Guys! Long time no chat! Some of your may remember me.

Anyway, I have a new (had sat on it for a year+ I think) RB S7, and I'm in the middle of breaking it in. It wants to die on my in idle (which I'm sure I can turn the idle screw in to help) but it also is just spitting out fuel in the tuner pipe. I killed one glow plug just on the first tank of idling I think (from being saturated with fuel). Do I need to lean out the needle already so I don't just waste glow plugs on the burn in?

I know it should smoke a lot and sputter, but I'm literally pouring gas out the pipe, and after the first start up (with a new plug) it didn't want to start again, sounding flooded etc.

Thanks!
Tim
Old 10-13-2008, 08:16 PM
firebird78

yeah u need to lean it out a bit...I like to run a lil rich during break in also but sounds like ur too rich
Old 10-15-2008, 12:11 PM
zaintlouis

Grizz, damn just 2 gallons then your Go died? that rarely happens, u just got a little bad luck i guess. But how could a rod stretch? i can't believe it reach the crankcase. weird. well i think you had your new one now, i still got problems with my receiver on the other buggy. the 27 mhz one. sometimes it obeys the transmitter sometimes it stop responding. that's too scary huh. i think i should get another spectrum receiver. but i'll check first the pcb (printed circuit board) of the receiver and try to reheat with a hot air soldering iron.

Pas, ofcoarse we remember you, just turn the HS needle 1mm at a time going lean for each test. wow that's a nice engine best for competition! preparing to race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.