Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 12:34 PM
mozzzy_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

hey. It certainly does want to run that hot & when it warms up it really winds up. I'm using os#8's at the moment. It was run in a number os A5 which seem better at the time. Maybe its because its a cooler plug? It always cuts out whether there's a new one in or not. I have read an even hotter plug can cool it down somewhat by ignighting the fuel slightly quicker. I'm not sure if that works or not but I believe an os A3 is the hottest. Maybe it does need changing but it get expensive going through them hey.
I'm also running 15% nitro. Maybe these engines run better with at least 20% which theoretically should keep it slightly cooler? Most of the new race engines thesedays require 20%+ to get the same performance.
What about fuel lines? Is it better to have the shortest fuel line or have one curled away from the engine? I'm sure if I can find a bigger cooling head it would run cooler.
The kyosho gx21 is in comparison very easy to run. Starts up pretty much straight away. Having only 2 needles as opposed to 3 makes it slightly easier to run. The 21 doesn't seem to get as hot. Not sure why its much lighter either. The couple of alloy arms I added had some weight but as stock the kyosho is noticably lighter. Having said that it doesn;t seem as strong as the redcat. The shocks aren;t as good for one. With a race engine in it though, it would really fly. I have looked at the front again & I'm trying to work out a hybrid that adopts the better wheel hubs along with the bumper system. The springs in the bumper are annoying as I can't seem to locate them as a spare. You can by them with the arm axles but that gets expensive.
trpastor has your ofna got the 4port or 8 port hyper 21 in it?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:41 PM
mozzzy_2000

well yes you answered my questions pretty much as I was righting them. I find the kyosho easy to control but again I think its slower. the himoto goes well on grass & tarmac. I can;t control it in the dirt very well but I'm not sure the tyres as that good. I have found on the himoto that playing around with the arms really changes the steering. I've got both front & rear upper arm upper arms wound almost in & it handles the speed much better. You can of course change the position on the steering bar if you want or dont want more responsiveness.
By the way there are heaps of really cheap engines on ebay at the moment. Some real bargains.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:27 PM
trpastor

Hey Mozzy -

Have you talked to the hobby shop about it. I use 20% fuel and normal plugs (I think on the plugs) And I haven't had any issues with it cutting out when it gets hot. Maybe yours is just a tad too hot? I don't know. Mine has held it's tuning pretty well so I just haven't had many problems with it (except when I lost the screw in the head)

Let us know how the hybrid system goes on the arms

Old 03-29-2006, 12:59 AM
mozzzy_2000

yeah actually 2 of the best shops in town suggested their 15% nitro to me which has been great overall. Its still way more powerful than the 21 running 20% which is interesting. If someone went for 30% it would be insane! But yeah what type plugs are you using? The OS#8 seems to be the plug of choice around here for .21+. But when It was setup for running in, the shop suggested the A5. Then I switched to the #8 which has essentially been fine. Although when i changed it, it through the whole tuning out but seems to have settled down pretty well. Mind you don't forget that its been summer here whilst its been winter over there. Not sure if it snows where you are but it certainly doesn't snow here just rains. I reckon the climate has got a lot to do with their running temp. Should be interesting to see how it runs over winter here. and likewise you guys are going into summer.
i forgot to add that it using cuts out at high temps when I bring it in to check it or refuel it. its hard to keep it idling but whilst its running its fine. Is that normal at running temp?
I also got a massive air fiter which has given it a remarkable performance boost. You have to richen it up heaps to compensate for the extra air flow but it increases its bottom end dramatically. A very cheap effective performance boost. It still runs hot but seems to gulp the air now & has given it a deeper engine note.
I was also wondering when you refuel, do you always keep it slightly filled all the time & not let it run out? or do you let it cool down between tanks & let it run dry each time?
I was looking at the hyper 21 8 ports. Would they be a straight cross over do you think or require modification to fit the himoto?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:39 AM
trpastor

Hey Mozzy

Yes, winter and summer probably will affect it greatly -

When it gets to be summer here I may experience the cut out more. BUT reading your last post it almost sounds like it's just a tad tight on the idle screw. Have you tried bumping it back a bit? As long as it's not crawling on the ground at all its fine. You don't want to get it going too fast though becuase then on jumps it starts reving and will back flip on you.

When it cut out at high temps before was it when it stopped or when it was going or when you were giving it gas?

I usually don't get time to do more than a run at a time but I have left fuel in and refilled or not. Either way shoudl be fine so don't worry about that

I think I was using an OS cold plug but I don't remember now. I haven't changed it in a while and I have just thrown all my plugs together out of packaging in my toolbox (so I don't know what's what). I'm not racing so it wasn't a big deal to me as long as she was running

Old 03-29-2006, 09:06 PM
mozzzy_2000

Cheers! yeah it would cut out at high temps when idling. I to thought it might need the idle re-adjustment too. Last time I played with that I really put it out of tune. That was the time when I just couldn;t get it started after the run-in.
The colder OS plug your using is probably the A5. Then the next hottest is the #8 & the hottest being the A3. If you actually look at the plug it has the number very lighly etched into the side & will identify what plug it is.
I am also finding that the MSN ( the one that should be just closed) is very loose & winds itself around. Maybe that needs constant monitoring as if its open too much the engine seems to richen up & makes it hard to get started. Time restrains me too which probably is not a bad thing since it runs hot. I sometimes get 2 tanks in but most of the time after 1 tank it usually gets too hot & needs cooling before it will start and sometimes time refrains me from running it longer. Maybe this is normal for it, who knows? But essentially I feel these buggys are designed to be run one race at a time. Under race conditions I have seen, the races don;t seem to be running that long & you probably wouldn't have the overheat problem as much, because between races, your buggy is not operating. Quite a bit different than thanging it around the garden for a couple of tanks.
Going back to your hyper 21. I was looking at one to perhaps try my hand at racing. Would these be a straight fit to pop in the himoto or would you have to modify it to make it fit? Obviously not the top 21 you can get but the hyper looks like a lot of power for ya buck! Has as much power as the top Italian engines apparantly, at a fraction of the cost.
Hey I got a price on the Himoto 1:10 on road, thats suddenly appeared in my LHS. Geez they're dam expensive down under! In the shop the 1:10 on road, with the .18 Infinity engine, is about the same as what I paid for my .27 1:8 from the US!!! At that price the 1:8 buggys would be roughly as much a MP7.5 or Hyper 7 TQ!! No wonder the guys in there thought my purchase was such a bargain. Apparantly the 1:10's really fly especially as it has an .18 in it. They are so much smaller than the 1:8 its supprising. Not as robust looking either. Not sure I'd get one by the look of it but I've seen a vid of the road cars & they really zip along on tarmac. Easily a higher power to weight ratio than the 1:8! which is kinda scary. I certainly wouldn;t buy one here & would try & source one from overseas if i was buying. Everything I have seen on the net is litterally 50% cheaper than Australian LHS prices. Seriously. Top engines costing US$300 would easily be AUS$600-800 in the shops here!! One reason I reckon it would be worth racing at those prices.
Anyway the adventure rolls on...
Cheers
Old 03-30-2006, 09:21 PM
mozzzy_2000

I think I have sorted out the over heating issues. Remember I mentioned a got a big truck air filter? Well it actually says on the packet that due to the increase in airflow, you will need to richen it up. Well I thought I had riched it up enough but I found yesterday that it was infact still to lean. I had to turn it down about another 1/4 turn!! In total I think I have had to turn the HSN down at least a full turn! With this filter it makes the engine scream even more. It definately is a lot louder & seems to idle slightly more aggressively now. I had a brilliant run yesterday & got through 2 tanks without it cutting out once. So I was pretty happy about that. I am still getting used to tuning but I noticed yesterday that when I start the car for the first time it may sound a little rich. But as soon as the engine reaches operating temp, it starts to lean itself out. So after noticing that, I had it running consisitently between 250-260F without any problems. No engine bog down or anything.
I also picked up this insane bargain on the Ebay the otherday where an Asian racer had to sell his collection of racing tyres. Didn't really think much of it but there is something like 27 full sets of glued tyres/wheels, with treadwear from about 60% to brand new!! I paid around US$180 all up. Didn;t know what brand they would be but have found that they are mostly Proline, Medial Pro & Vega tyres!! Basically thee top racing tyre brands. There's at least 3-4 full sets of brand new unused wheels, which in itself is worth more than I paid for the whole lot!
So basically I got 27 sets of racing tyres of all types of compounds & patterns, worth over US$1000, for US$180. Quite incredible I thought.
Now who reckons that Ebay is ****e & not worth using? I tell you what; there's heaps of bargains like this on a daily basis on Ebay! so miss it with your peril....
cheers ears!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:52 AM
mozzzy_2000

Surely i can't be only one posting at the moment? anyway I've had some good runs over the last couple of days. Those wheels got are unbelievable compared to the stock wheels. Lucky I had it on grass as I found these particular tyres were extremely grippy & I fipped the buggy several times on high speed turns. I realy is taking the hammerng rather well.
Got the temps sussed out now. I have bascally worked out that I have had it leaned out too much. have found as it heats up it leans out a far bit.
I also took a peak in the shocks for the first time and found either partly filled or almost empty shock cylinders. Filling them up with qualty shock oil has made an incredible difference.
anyway I guess everyone's either busy or having no probs with their buggys hey?
Cheers
Old 04-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Buggygovroom

No problems lately for me, other than my friend smashed into me at like 60 mph and knocked my back wheel off through the rear hub carrier. Other than that im getting ready to pick up a race motor from the lhs in a week or two... heres what i got in mind.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEPH9&P=7

Seen this run in my friends kanai... its crazy fast. I saw it flip the car today like a hydroplane. the front hit a small bump at high speed and the front slowly kept raising and then flipped over. It was the funniest thing i ever saw
Old 04-06-2006, 02:14 AM
mozzzy_2000

looks good! Although I am extremely happy with the infinity .27 in mine. If I was to replace that I'd probably go for the new updated Team Infinity/Team Orion Samurai 528 with looks pretty beasty for the price. Having said that most engines of that size i think are pretty similar. I suppose its a personnal preference in that regard. I must say that the 3 needle engines are a bit trickier to tune than 2 needle engines.
In regards to race engines, I thought you could only race upto .21s legally? Or are there races for larger engines? The .27 in mine totally spits all over my mp7.5. Being 30% larger capacity its not hard to see why. It boarders on being out of control compared to the kyosho.
Anyway I have a bit of a problem. I have lost one of the rear shock fixtures, where it attaches to the shock tower. Been having heaps of trouble trying to even locate a similar fixture that will work. The kyosho mp7.5 I have has ends on the shocks themselves and use a different attachment. Anyone know what I mean? Any suggestions on a replacement? Who would have thought such a small item would be hard to replace? The fixture on a thunder tiger or rex x pro look most similar.
Also one of the set screws in the front lower arms; the ones that adjust the ride height, has broken a bit of thread off. I can't get a hex driver to grip it. Any ideas?
Anyway if anyone has some feedback I would appreciate it.
Just got some carbon fibre parts in for my MP7.5 that I was hoping would all fit the redcat. Very nice bling! Incredible light parts being much stronger & much lighter than the parts they replace. Doesn;t completely fit out the redcat but the ones that will fit are: the steering brace plate, Radio plate, diff/brake guard & the side guards/wings. Not everything but at least the most widely used parts. The front & rear shock towers fit the mp7.5 perfectly but on the redcat/himoto there are a couple of holes that are millimetres out and on the front towers there are a couple of holes that need to be 3mm to fit the upper arm axles. This is probably not too bad as you can always go for the thicker alloy towers anyway but at 4.5mm, the carbon shock towers are rock solid. Not sure about the side guards as they look prone to damage being hard & not plastic. Looks dam cool though..
Cheers
Matt
Old 04-09-2006, 05:21 PM
poe

can the hurricane xp actually do 80+ mph? that seems like a stretch but i dont know
Old 04-10-2006, 12:06 PM
mozzzy_2000

No unfortunately it does not do 80MPH out of the box. I don;t think there's a buggy out there that does go that fast. Certainly not for the same price. Having said that my 27 is getting pretty dam fast as it is. Easily 80Kph(60mph) on full throttle. I'd say I was getting mine faster than that the otherday . Its hard to say without a speedmeter of course. Even at that speed the buggy is at the threshold of almost flipping depending of course on your tyres/surface etc. But even still they're not really designed to go flat out all the time. You can do that but you'll go through the engine quickly as they heat up fast. The scary thing is these things scream & you really feel like pushing them to the extreme.
You can of course hop it up to go as fast as possible I suppose but that gets pricey. I also have a 21 & the 27 is way faster & more powerful than that as it is.
Its a pretty good buggy all up & tremendous value.
Actually on the heat problem I've been having I got this massive cooling head the otherday. absolutely dwalves the stock head its funny. Fits well & looks awesome. Hope it actually helps cooling it down.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Buggygovroom

Some pictures for you guys

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65227.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	443646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52604.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	443647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79154.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	443648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28487.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	443649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kw18195.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	443650  
Old 04-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Nice pics... did the car survive all the jumps? I see the hammer in the one shot.. Is that to smash the car the rest of the way when ya reck lol..
Old 04-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Buggygovroom

car is fine, broke something i didnt expect. the steering servo. I must have jumped the car 25-30 times total today. nothing broken other than that servo.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
jcam54

Anybody know whats up with Xeller8?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Xeller8

Hey John...I'm still alive.

Just have lots going on in real life right now (including a new girlfriend) and very busy here at the shop....dang...I've been looking through the forums and it's gonna take DAYS to catch up!

Good news is the buggy is running GREAT and the weather is warming up nicely around here so as soon as we get a chance my helper is going to bring his patrol car down here and we are going to make some radar runs (with video)....I'm very anxious to see what this thing will actually do!

So...hows everyone been??
Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Chubbysdad

Whats up buddy... I miss ya on the forums. I miss the excitement you bring lol..
Old 04-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Xeller8

Excitement??....MOI??....LOL!!

Yeah right...you just like seeing all the carnage I create while abusing my Nitros!
Old 04-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Chubbysdad

that too.... lol I finally got MY body on with the black rims and tail wing.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:42 PM
zachanafien

hi everybody, i am a noob at the redcat cars\buggy but i also own another buggy. i just got my tornado xp a couple of days ago and i havent been able to drive it[&o] , because of the weather. i don't have a problem i just thought i would introduce myself. oh, there is also another site for parts www.rufaster.com
Old 04-17-2006, 03:29 AM
mozzzy_2000

Hey welcome aboard! Well to be honest this forum has gone pretty stale & silent of late. Not sure where everyone has gone, especially the guy who set up this forum. Slightly annoying as none of my queries or questions are being answered anymore by anyone.
Anyway I'm a newbie to nitro so I aint professing I now all but any questions, fire away! This is my first buggy & I had heaps of trouble getting mine to run to begin with but once that got sorted out its been a total blast & I have had little trouble with the car since.
Not sure what buggy you got. I have the .27 and it roars! A very very fast engine compared to a .21. Heaps more wheel spinning torque than a .21, although the 21 I have is almost as fast but just has not got the wheel spnning torque of the .27. I think you'll be happy with whatever you go for as they are as every bit as good as the more expensive brands.There is infact very little difference with the redcat compared to an Inferno MP7.5 except that the redcat is heaps cheaper. Cheers for the website. Its always good to see new suppliers of spares as that would be the only downfall of the brand. The spare parts situation is quite a worry actually. I see plenty of websites boasting that they have spares but when you go to their site, you find they only have a few items on offer. There is only one place on the net I know of that has the complete range of spares & hopups. http://www.exportpro.biz/. These guys sell the Himoto version which is incidently exactly the same as Redcat except rebadged as Himoto. No offence Redcat or any dealers reading this, but I find that you guys still have a slighlty inadequate supply of spares, not to mention there really isn't any redcat suppliers I have found that have the entire range of spares. Also the brand is totally non existent in Australia. Maybe its because its a new brand but then again these buggys have been the Bazooka's for the last couple of years so parts should be readily available. Gee its so frustrating I am considering setting something up here for us Australians.
Anyway enough *****ing there. I just hope these distributers get there act together and have spares available. I'd like to race the redcat here in Australia but that is virtually impossible as there is no parts backup here. something needs to be sorted out otherwise the brand will dry up I feel. That always happens to good products with poor after market service. This is one reason why I bought a second well known brand buggy as its easier to fix than the redcat. My first crash with the redcat resulted in one part snapping. This part took almost 4 weeks to get so its really a very frustrating situation with the lack of spares. It is like buying a toyota for instance and you find that Toyoto is not supported for parts in your country. Quite frustrating really especially as most buggys now have unique parts specifically for them. You can use kyosho parts for about 90% of the car but they are like 3 times as expensive here in Australia!!
In regards to the speed trials of xeller8, I too had that idea too. I was going to see if a policeman friend of mine would get a speed camera for 30 mins or so. There are otherways to calculate the speed though. You could of course just go out a buy a venom speedmeter or you could calculate it manually if your maths skills are ok. Mark out say a 25+ meter run. Time that run & extrapolate that out to either KPH or MPH. Get the calculations right & the speed will be quite accurate. Just remember 1000m in a KM, 1600m in Miles.
Oh if anyone is still with me here, I have had great success with the giant cooling head I got for my .27. Temps were consistantly 280F+ but now with this awesome head, the temps have dropped dramatically to around 200F!! Now I have to lean it out to get the temp to run above that!! And its even a struggle to get the engine upto around 220F. So now I dont have the problem of the engine cutting off and the engine runs even faster now that its sufficiently cooled. I'd highly recommend this head for the Infinty .27. Its actually for a sirio .27 monster block non turbo but fits this engine nicely. The button is a fraction loose but once you bolt it down its tight & I haven't had any probs so far. This is the link to ebay site I bought it from. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN%3AIT&rd=1.
Only cost me USD$35 incl postage to Australia, which is cheap compared to other brands of heads. Check it out if you are having over heating problems like I did. All fixed now & I dare say the engine is going to run a lot longer under these lower temps. I should note that the general weather here has already cooled down significantly & I am finding that the engine runs approx 20degF cooler than I was getting in the height of summer. So be aware of that as you guys move into Summer in the US. You guys may find you have the same problems as me as the weather heats up.
Anyway as usual I have gaffed on for far too long as it is. So ciao!!
Matt
Old 04-18-2006, 09:06 AM
zachanafien

okay i have a problem, while i was driving, the controller stopped working so the car just sat their. so i took off the body to see if i could fix it while it was still running, but i couldn't find out what was going wrong. i turned off the engine and then the controller worked so i restarted the engine and the same thing happened with the controller not working. so i turned off the engine and the controller was working again. does anyone know what is happening?

What i think is going wrong is while the engine is on the vibrations are jiggling a loose wire so it is not working, but while the engine is off the wire is where it is supposed to be.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Xeller8

Check all your plugs on the receiver...they like to come loose sometimes.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:45 PM
zachanafien

okay i will. thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.