Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Kemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

its 10 degrees outside (or -12 in celsius), i'd be running it if I enjoyed freezing off my cojones. Along with my XTM, its prepped for the 07 season. I also have a touring car I picked up for dirt cheap, its a Mugen, getting a STS engine of course

I'll be racing in 3 classes next season

Oh and ehroof, if you have any clutch bell issues with these buggies... might be time to retire from RC in general. You'll have to try damn hard to mess one up. And if you do mention to fubar one up, get a K-Factory clutch bell.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:48 AM
mozzzy_2000

Yeah the Kfactory bells are sweet! One of the only bells that my torsen diff doesn;t eat for breakfast, lunch and tea!
Old 12-02-2006, 08:54 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually the only spur gear and clutch bells i ruined are on the 3 redcat 1/10ths i have, the other cars never stripped gears, actually i have an electric tamiya tl01 that stripped the pinion and spur, i had upgraded them to sluminum and they got chewed up for some reason.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:09 PM
mozzzy_2000

mine have never stripped. they just wear out quite quickly thats all. The center diff I'm running has a very hard spur gear and it eventually squishes the clutch bell.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:41 PM
zaintlouis

speaking of clutch bells, (that's what i decided to buy next for my 777) i just burned the CB outer bearing of my redcat while bashing it this afternoon! i lost e clips - three pieces on the rear. good thing i got a spare bearing for my clutchbell (used bearing too!) to keep it going i used electrical tape to hold my rear wheel shafts intead of the e clips since i forgot to bring spares. it did work! i keep running my redcat whole afternoon until my glow plug starter battery gave up. but it lasted few hours though. What a nice day i'm very contented. good thing i heard the strange gear messing nose which prompt me to stop immediately and save me my gears!

Ehroof, welcome aboard, you came in the right place! be sure to read the previous pages of this thread it will save you some money. You have a great buggy, but the tx that came with the kit can't be trusted thoroughly so be careful. if ya have a great existing radio & receiver replace it at once, and if you are using the receiver penlight double aa battery case, strap it with a rubber bond or something so batteries wont come lose. like what mozzy says its better to use hump packs for your receiver. as for me i still use rechargeable penlight batteries i use energizer penlight rechargeables, they last for around three to four hours but the hump packs last longer as mozzy recommends. i will eventually buy the packs i just have to many priorities to buy. but since u have already 13 1/10 kits, i pressume u got them already. anyway, it's good you decided to go 1/8 scale, man i tell you the power is awesome! i don't think you'll ever comeback to 1/10 or you might sell all your 1/10 except your favorites just to buy another 1/8 buggy ha? Happy New Buggy! catch u guys later.

andere andere ariva arive eeeha! Woot! wooot! woot!wwooooooooooooot!

Old 12-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Petropo

Hey guys new to r/c's.Just ordered a redcat hurricane xp with an AM RADIO.I want to upgrade to an FM.Can anyone tell me which one will work and which is a good one.I do'nt want to spend over about $150.00 if possible.I read that the am radio's that come with this buggy do not have good range or very responsive.Also could you tell me a good place to buy one also.One more thing, can you get an electric start for this buggy?

Petropo
Old 12-03-2006, 04:33 AM
mozzzy_2000

yeah the am transmitter does suck actually but most rtr kits do. Any FM unit would be good. I'd personally try and get a spektrum as you wont have any frequency clashes ever and they are pretty glitch free. You might find one on ebay or places like Amain hobbies or tower hobbies for instance.
And yes you can fit a rotostart to the .27 and .28. Not sure about the .21 but it may also fit as well.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Jas the Ace

G'day again all, and also to fellow aussie mozzzy. Time for me to drop in and catch up on all the goss again. Was just reading about the electric or roto starts, and I do believe you can get a roto or bump start to suit pretty much every car, with some small mods you can adapt a roto to fit, I have done it myself when I couldnt wait for an order to come in, I simply got the tools out and made one fit but I guess it just depends on how desperate you want one. I am also curios about the fm radio gear, as I am suspecting that my regularly runaway car has a crystal problem. From what I understand is the fm stuff doesnt have crystals, is this correct? My problem is if I land a jump the car just has no radio response, and if it hits something again it is back to normal. I know it is not the batteries in the car, or a broken wire, so the only thing left is the crystals. Also as for those hump packs, I do believe they are a must have. My friends have them and swear by them, so now I am saving my pennies to get one to. I better go now, and hey mozzz, how did you go with those engines? Talk soon.

If it aint broke, you didn't have fun!
Old 12-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Petropo

Thanks: MOZZZY. I just bought a sprektum 3.0 but i dont know what rotostart to get.I found a OFNA Jammin w/ a one way bearing/backplate w/ mounting screwa for a force .28 motor.I have a redcat xp w/ an infinity .27 motor.Do I need a certain backplate or what.

Petropo
Old 12-03-2006, 09:24 AM
mozzzy_2000

Hey jas hows it going? yeah mate going well actually. I a had good today at a local bmx track although the buggy took a hammering. The shocks kept on poppling off after every couple of hard stacks but great fun none the less. Got a few engines now so I can chop & change at will when one of them breaksdown.

In regards to the FM, I think you do have crystals still but its on a more reliable bandwith. There are hugh end FM transmitters that are synth and you dial in the freuency you desire which eliminates clashes but the best so far is spektrum spread technology, with the spektrum & nomadio controllers. they're the ones I'd go for. Even the entry level spektrum is great value. No frequency clashes are very very stable & about 99% glitch free.

In regards to your buggy, you may be experiencing the receiver batterys dislodging when you take jumps which would explain the loss of control when jumping. A hump pack will basically eliminate any chance of that happening. But essentially the stock radio is pretty basic and I'd say its quite possible its naturally glitching as mine also did. Nothing can fix that unfortunately. And yes the range on mine was shocking. Again FM & spektrum offer far greater range thats more than enough for general use. Any further and its too far away anyway.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:25 AM
mozzzy_2000

Hey yeah the roto start for the savage is a perfect fit for the .27!! no modification needed. I'd highly recommend one hey. they are infinately easier to start.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Petropo

Hey mozzzy do i get the savage rotostart for the .21 or .28?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Erik2424

haha hi mozz, i see were up at the same time,lol. but yea ill try some differnt stuff on my old tires and see what i get. ummm, also ehroof just some advice if didnt know already, that the factory settings for my car were way off on mine and it over heated about a min into running at (310f), just figured i would let ya know so you can check the settings on your car. also the cluch bell and the spur gear have been great on my car, and have very little wear on them so far, unlike what most people say on probs here with that. the first thing ya might want for the car is some good tires for it, mine went bald after 2/3 of a gallon run thought it, so i got some new ones.

well good luck
Old 12-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Erik2424

hey petropo, you have the hurricane xp.27 right? if so here is a link for what i found i can use for mine.

~ http://www.himotoracing.com/index.ph...l&scale=1&pg=2

~ http://www.********.co.uk/products.php?cat=9
Old 12-03-2006, 11:13 AM
ehroof

thanks for the info guys, i also got a spektrum for it.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:08 PM
glk420247

Ehroof did you try the breakin process yet?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: mozzzy_2000

mine have never stripped. they just wear out quite quickly thats all. The center diff I'm running has a very hard spur gear and it eventually squishes the clutch bell.
Yeah, best upgrade from that is Kfactory. They ALWAYS have the good stuff.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:36 PM
ehroof

i bought it used from chubbysdad, it was his so it is broken in already, going to get a christmas tree with the family so maybe i can try it out before it gets dark out, i hate it now that it gets dark at 4:30!!!!! I also cleaned it up real good so i am in no rush to get it dirty yet. Not that i will be trying out in dirt since there is only pavement and concrete here, a little grass in my yard but its not big enough to race anything, there are no off road tracks in nyc, only a great on road at floyd bennett field. I will have to start looking in long island for a good offroad track, i have 2 other tornado xp's, hpi mt, jato, nitro rustler and electric rustler to use off road and several onroads.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:20 PM
zaintlouis

Good day to all! hump packs are indeed a must specially if you race, however, for bashing, my 4 cell energizer rechargeables didn't let me down. it's more lighter than the five cell pack. i just wonder the ampere rating of these energizers. but i'm gonna race sooner so i'm really gonna get these humps packs :-) even thinking of making my own packs out of energizer cells. if it's not wort it stop me now please before it's too late! [:@] i hope himoto gets it s name someday. i saw a thread for buggy votes and they didn't include himoto. i hope pro version class of himoto 1/8 buggy will come out soon, and our present redcats can be upgraded to that pro version wouldn't it be cool?

Ey mozz, i forget about what type of diff our himoto buggy has, is it a std diff or lsd diff? how about the center diif? oh i'll check the manual maybe its stated there if i can still find it. i had another great bashing day yesterday. i draw a lot of people on the boulevard, there has an road extension project on it, so i have another new place to bash. these people came close and starts touching the tires, the shell, its like they saew an alien. Well most people here are still ignorant of R/C's yesterday was like their r/c orientation day
Old 12-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Buggygovroom

Another paintjob by bug
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78869.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	571290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79871.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	571291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67425.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	571292  
Old 12-03-2006, 09:09 PM
ehroof

nice job
Old 12-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Kemo

ehroof, want some carbon fiber? You can get rid of that pressed aluminum steering brace, center diff brace and radio tray. It'll set you back about $75 bucks and is something that will strengthen the hell out of it. If you want to get serious into racing like I am with it, you'll want to invest into a mp 7.5 chassis, instead of the pressed aluminum one that is a tad flimsy.

I know u didn't flush twice, but this advice is worth a lot of flushing
Old 12-03-2006, 10:16 PM
ehroof

LOL, (flush, flush) where do i go to see/get it. There are no offroad tracks here so i will be doing some park bashing for now or in front of my house bashing!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Kemo

http://www.xtremercracing.com/Kyosho_Inferno_7_5.cfm

have fun. I don't know if the front and rear shock towers are direct fits. But, stockers are strong enuff as is, so don't worry bout them.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:40 PM
ehroof

thanks, checking it out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.