Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 135 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

LMAO @ Buggygovs vid!!

DAYUM...that made me motion sick!

Too bad that damn car didn't get out of your way....it would have been cool if you could have really opened her up!
    1/8 Redcat Hurricane XP Buggy/.27 motor (4.43cc)/tuned exhaust
    1/10 Redcat Volcano STX truck/.18 motor (3.0cc)/tuned exhaust

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: redbull08

Yeah it has been freezing the last few days here and of course the week my XP comes in the mail. Buggy you use the tracks that often and race? Was thinking on picking up a clutch bell with some less teeth on it to go racing in a week or so. I know I have only been on this for a week or so but i have read all 7 pages of this thread and i guess i would of thought Darin would have some more info about his product on here. Please i dont want any hate mail because of that I am just saying maybe some updates of what he has going on, new parts coming out, tips on the problems he has read on this thread. I dont know about you guys but maybe once a week letting us know what Redcat has going on, it only helps us and is great for him to bring in more business. On another note I can not wait till it comes i am pumped to get it out on the road and smoke the tires off of it.
    BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAKIN!!!! dont smoke the tires right away or you'll be in for some forehead smackin hair pulling frustration soon after. Check the other threads above this one. I saw a lot of redcat related posts so you might get some idea of compatible parts. As far as i know a lot of kyosho mp 7.5 parts are interchangeable except for shoc towers and suspension parts. Unless you replace the ENTIRE suspension attached to the chassy. I would reccomend after a bit of running take note of which nuts and bolts come loose most of the time and locktite them. ive had no problems after doing that and nothing has rattled loose no mater how much bumpin around ive done.

No tracks for me yet untill spring. I've been driving with a friend who has a real nice car and has been doing this for a while but he loses to me most of the time unless he cheats and gets a head start or bumps me off the road

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

haha, I came back and tried again but slammed it off the line that second time and barely got any traction. by then the card was probably close to full so i had to stop the camera. Maybe tomorrow i'll get a good onboard shot down the street depending on the weather.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That would be cool!

Hey...did you say earlier that you burned down your motor and ended up putting a different motor in your buggy??....if so...what motor??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This one. I didn't buy it from here but this has some specs on it. It dropped right in with the mounts that came with the redcat, Put on the flywheel, clutch shoes and bell and off I went.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXESC3&P=ML

Also as a .27 replacement I was looking into which most likely will fit just the same would be.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKBG0&P=7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool...thanks!

Holy cow that .27 is spendy!...I see one prob with it....the throttle arm is on the wrong side...I wonder if the carbs can be turned around?

The .21 isn't too bad...I don't know if I want to step DOWN on engine size though...(I'm greedy when it comes to power..LOL)

I'm pretty sure my engine is toast...it really never seemed to have near the compression it should have from the start...but seemed to run pretty good during break in....then after a few tanks of fuel and ever increasing difficulty in tuning and keeping it running I investigated and found leakage between the head and the cylinder and it turned out my head bolts were a bit loose...I tightened them but I'm afraid it was too late....the leakage was allowing it to suck air where it shouldn't and lead to a lean condition even though I had it set fat...more than likely sucking in dirt too...I took it to my LHS and they told me it was done and agreed with my conclusion that the leak was causing a very lean condition...

Now...I pulled the head off and found there was no head gasket...it was just metal to metal....Buggygov....when you took YOURS apart did it have a head gasket?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The carb can be turned around. I had to do it to mine. When i took the engine apart I didnt see a head gasket, Just one shim and that was that. I have to check again but im almost positive there was no gasket for the head. I always keep my motor slightly hesitant on the fat side now after the last motor I had. I also had a leak from the base of the carb that I had no idea about but had no idea about what to look for at the time. If your rather new to these motors a step down wouldnt be such a bad idea for price/learning reasons. If your gonna hop into some racing id go with an OS or Novarossi and keep something like the ofna motor as a backup beat the ass out of it on the street kinda motor. I pick up my OS in a week =D

Another thing, if you get the ofna motor.. either one just undo the one screw that holds the carb in, flip the motor around and tap out the Tube pin thing (that the screw actually screwed into, turn the carb around and your done.

Another edit! if you want to go the route of rebuilding the piston/con rod/sleve for those vertexes arent that expensive. My LHS priced it at 30 bucks. I got the hyper for 50 though. Thats the only reason I went with the hyper instead of a rebuild.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its kinda wierd explaining it but if you get one of those i'll post some pics of what im talking about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think I understand what you are talking about when it comes to flipping the carb around...

As far as that shim goes...I'll bet that is considered the head gasket....mine didn't have ANYTHING....and I'm sure your leak at the carb was probably causing a lean condition too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

From the time i started running it I kept on richening the needles untill they were ready to come out but there was little to no change. The shim didnt come right off, I didnt see it untill i started to pop the sleve out cause it was so thin and was pressed down by the head. I added to my post above about rebuilding is also an option.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah...I had to keep making it fatter and fatter also...

I'm not sure about rebuilding it...I'm having a hard time deciding which route to take.

This sucks though...since I discovered these probs I quit running it...

The GOOD thing is...at least I have the truck to play with!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey trpastor finally got my himoto buggy! To be honest up until now its been a nightmare getting this thing hey having problems with the ebayer but its all sorted now.
    As a complete novice this is all new to me. I had nightmares just trying to start it. After 3 days of blisters, scrapped knuckles & a broken pullstarter cord, I finally bit the bullet & took it to my LHS for them to take a look at . The guy there thought it was top notch quality for the price. Got it on ebay at $265USD + postage, with the .27 infinity, which roughly translates to $358AUD + postage which was a hefty @$95AUD, making it all up around $450AUD. Now I priced that against a PRP Swift they had in the shop which was about $670AUD. Inferno's & the like were around $800+AUD. The guy also said it was virtually the same as the mp7.5 but with a different front shock configuration, so for roughly 50% less than the "real" thing, you certainly can't go past the extreme value in these buggys!

Anyway he basically had it for a day tuning it up for me and when he started it for the first time for me it totally blew me away! Gee it totally made the previous 3 days of hell totally disappear! This thing is going to fly once its run in! But geez it was a b***ch to get going. Took him quite while to get it going as all the needles were way off and the idle adjustment screw was screwed in way too tight for human hands. But its nicelly tuned in now. Just got to complete the run in now & then start to lean it out. I asked the guy whether he thought there was anything glaringly obvious that needs replacing or upgrading & he said no, not really. He reckons the suspension was pretty good as is & when I questioned the fact the the buggy sits low on the suspension, he said that thats what you want. If it sits up too high he reckons thats when they start to flip on fairly small rocks. Anyway this guy is much older & grayer than me so who's to argue?

Well its been a bit of a rocky road since then. Quite a few blown plugs & a useless rechargable igniter has prolonged the run in process dramatically. But once it gets going it really hums. Dam loud hey. who said they weren't loud? My neighbours might argue the point already! A good comparison was when I moped/scooter went by the house, this buggy was way louder than that hey!

So anyway for a beginner you'd want quite a few spare plugs & buy a decent glow plug igniter that connects to a large battery. Go easy on the pullstarter cord. If you're a novice like me, bite your tongue & take it to your LHS & get them to tune it. I'd highly recommend it. Once its tuned to start & is properly primed it should easily start up first or second pull. I find flooding a problem for me. Very hard to estimate how much fuel is being pumped in when priming but have found that if flooded, slightly loosening the glow plug to ease the compression, tightening & then turning the engine over & it should start up straightaway.

People from 2 hobby shops here have both pressed the importance of fuel quality. they reckon there are many different qualities that differ far more than say normal petrol/gas. I've been recommended to use 15% nitro, which should more than suffice they said. Racers will aparantly use 20-30% nitro at the expense of fuel lubrication, which I am told dramatically shortens the lifespan of your engine for the short term gain of maximum power & speed.

Its been an absolute blast so far despite the cut fingers & hand/knuckles! If anyone is thinking of getting a himoto/redcat I'd highly recommend it! Hands down the best way to get into nitro I'd say.
    Cheers!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

<-----applauding Mozzzy!!!

VERY NICE write up!....thank you!

OH!...and welcome aboard.... "mate"!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mozzzy_2000

hey trpastor finally got my himoto buggy! To be honest up until now its been a nightmare getting this thing hey having problems with the ebayer but its all sorted now.
    As a complete novice this is all new to me. I had nightmares just trying to start it. After 3 days of blisters, scrapped knuckles & a broken pullstarter cord, I finally bit the bullet & took it to my LHS for them to take a look at . The guy there thought it was top notch quality for the price. Got it on ebay at $265USD + postage, with the .27 infinity, which roughly translates to $358AUD + postage which was a hefty @$95AUD, making it all up around $450AUD. Now I priced that against a PRP Swift they had in the shop which was about $670AUD. Inferno's & the like were around $800+AUD. The guy also said it was virtually the same as the mp7.5 but with a different front shock configuration, so for roughly 50% less than the "real" thing, you certainly can't go past the extreme value in these buggys!

Anyway he basically had it for a day tuning it up for me and when he started it for the first time for me it totally blew me away! Gee it totally made the previous 3 days of hell totally disappear! This thing is going to fly once its run in! But geez it was a b***ch to get going. Took him quite while to get it going as all the needles were way off and the idle adjustment screw was screwed in way too tight for human hands. But its nicelly tuned in now. Just got to complete the run in now & then start to lean it out. I asked the guy whether he thought there was anything glaringly obvious that needs replacing or upgrading & he said no, not really. He reckons the suspension was pretty good as is & when I questioned the fact the the buggy sits low on the suspension, he said that thats what you want. If it sits up too high he reckons thats when they start to flip on fairly small rocks. Anyway this guy is much older & grayer than me so who's to argue?

Well its been a bit of a rocky road since then. Quite a few blown plugs & a useless rechargable igniter has prolonged the run in process dramatically. But once it gets going it really hums. Dam loud hey. who said they weren't loud? My neighbours might argue the point already! A good comparison was when I moped/scooter went by the house, this buggy was way louder than that hey!

So anyway for a beginner you'd want quite a few spare plugs & buy a decent glow plug igniter that connects to a large battery. Go easy on the pullstarter cord. If you're a novice like me, bite your tongue & take it to your LHS & get them to tune it. I'd highly recommend it. Once its tuned to start & is properly primed it should easily start up first or second pull. I find flooding a problem for me. Very hard to estimate how much fuel is being pumped in when priming but have found that if flooded, slightly loosening the glow plug to ease the compression, tightening & then turning the engine over & it should start up straightaway.

People from 2 hobby shops here have both pressed the importance of fuel quality. they reckon there are many different qualities that differ far more than say normal petrol/gas. I've been recommended to use 15% nitro, which should more than suffice they said. Racers will aparantly use 20-30% nitro at the expense of fuel lubrication, which I am told dramatically shortens the lifespan of your engine for the short term gain of maximum power & speed.

Its been an absolute blast so far despite the cut fingers & hand/knuckles! If anyone is thinking of getting a himoto/redcat I'd highly recommend it! Hands down the best way to get into nitro I'd say.
    Cheers!
    If your blowing plugs look at the element, even though you are running it in take a look anyway. Just as a precaution if your element is bending out of proportion and grey/white you are running to lean and eventually gonna get some metal shavings showing up in your plug when damage is done. Check to be safe.. dont be like me and xeller blowin motors!! If its just fouled and grimey thats normal for the break in process.

Also for those who haven't tried it, the long plugs do work fine and actually better than the short plug that comes with the origional motor. At least for the vertex motors... double check if you try it on a himoto with the infinity though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Mozzy! Good to see you here!

I got an email that you joined.

Well first let me say i'm glad you got it going. I wish you would have posted here earlier We wouldn't have yelled at you for being a newbie or anything... oh well for those reading this come on in if you're having troubles.

Sounds like you got it going but basically are just going through the new nitro owner process. I had a hard time at first too as I'm sure anyone did with just about any vechicle. You just really have to learn how it responds.

Basically it's all about fine tuning yourself to know what's too much and too little (lean/rich flooded/not enough how much the pull start can handle and so forth) It will get smooth evenetually.

I have had the same reaction by bringing mine into the LHS that sold Kyoshos. I told him what i paid and he said with a laugh of disbelief "sounds like you got a heck of a good deal". I'm sure that's the last thing he wanted to say too.

You shouldn't need to go through plugs like that. Maybe turn your screws all the way in (counting as you go so you can put them back) and report what you got going on here. My main is at about 3 turns, and my lsn WAS at about 2 1/4... I'm sorry to those who read earlier when I said it was 1 3/4. I was going on memory. Anyway it sounds like you might be off on one of the needles still.

As far as flooding it shouldn't have too much of an issue with that really. What I would recommend on that is BEFORE you start to prime take the fuel tube OFF the carb end and hold it straight up so the fule goes all the way back into the fuel box. Then put it back on. Now you can see right when the fuel hits the carb as you prime. When it does, pull the cord 2-3 times more with your finger over the exhaust (I'm assuming that is the way your priming by covering the exhuast and pulling the cord?)

As far as the shocks, he is right you want them pretty soft but I did push mine down a bit cause I felt it gave it a bit more SPring of jumps.

OH FOR ALL - I found that moving the shocks over to the center hole at the top did one of 2 things - made steering a bit better to me but also made it a HELL of a lot easier to get the shell on without it bumping into the screws on the shock towers. I would HIGHLY recommend giving it a try if you are sick of trying to get the shell on without breaking it at the nose.

Good luck running it and lets us know how you do Mozzy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey buggy i went on that site for the rims and tires but i of course have a question. When i buy them they come seperate so what if anything do i have to do special to put the tires on the rims? I saw some nice wheels yesterday that i would not mind picking up. Thanks
    1/8 Hurricane XP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You'll need tire glue but other than that nothing unless the tires don't come with foam but they usually do. Heres a decent howto

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=360

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Perfect! I thought i saw some tire machaine on here so i thought i might have to use that to put them on. This is a rough week, i know its coming this week and i have nothing else to do but to look online and ask questions on what i want to do to the thing. Buggy i saw online a small camera that you can get for $40 that mounts to the car for video last week, you should get that so you dont mess up yours. I will have to see if i can find the site but they had that seperate and they had it on the car if you bought the car.
    1/8 Hurricane XP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw somethin like that at raidentech.com. it was a color w sound wireless setup for 55 bucks. Im considering it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well it is almost christmas here. i got the starter kit first and the car must be on the way!!!!
    1/8 Hurricane XP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gosh, things are slow in here lately. must have been that cold front. Tough to play

As soon as the snow thaws here I'll have some vids

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea its freezing today and about to snow. 6-12 from what I heard. What a *****!

Time to get some paddle tires and run in the snow!!
    vids comin soon!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YEP!!....cold here but I just couldn't resist playing a little this afternoon...I was playing with my truck at first...but...it's in the 30's here right now and of course I rolled the truck and shattered the body...LOL!

Actually ran my buggy a little even with the motor half cooked...actually still runs decent yet as long as you are in the throttle...sidelined a curb and broke the hold down on the front that holds the lower control arm pivot pins...lost a pin...control arm came off and bent a shock.....oh well...all in the name of FUN!

Think I'll order some parts![8D]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz78851.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	405725  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Run it as is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL!!...I'm actually surprised it even runs in the FIRST place considering it has about half the compression it should!

I figure I'll just keep running it until completely detonates!

Page 8 of 135 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast