Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Old 02-02-2006, 11:58 PM
BazookaOZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Hey guys,
My first post here. I have a Bazooka, with a .28 SH motor. Since I have had it I have only done a few things. First and foremost, the steering servo had to go. Replaced the battery pack with a recharge cell and changed over the controller.
The servo in my opinion is a must. My original packed it in after a week or so. The battery pack is not essential, but the new servo is very thirsty. So its just something to make my drive time more enjoyable. I used to race 1/10th scale on road and I was just used to the JR radio so I swapped it over as I wasn’t THAT happy with the stock controller that came with it.
I have seen so much posted on many forums about just how bad these buggies are. I really have to say that I personally think they are bloody great! For the $ that you pay for them you cant go wrong. Its pretty quick, although the posted 80Mph is a bit far fetched, it is more like 80Kph. Which for what I do is fine. I have had no issues getting parts for it. Infact I have more problems trying to track down parts for my CEN on-road car!
I don’t know if you guys have ever tried this but I figure I would let you know a really fun place to go bashing. I went down to my local BMX track. I went with all intentions of going sick on the track. Next to the track is a skate park. With table tops and half pipes and all sorts of jumps just begging to be trashed! I took the Bazooka there and within minutes I had a crowd all gathered around in aww at the Bazooka doing the air.
I have not competed off road with the Bazooka yet but will be soon. They are building an off road track on the Gold Coast. Currently I go bashing with some friends that own everything from Kyosho Infernos (haven’t checked to see if they are the same parts though) to Traxxas Revos. And I must say that the Bazooka really holds its own.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:59 AM
trpastor

Hey BazookaOZ

Very good to have you here. Keep us posted on how the competing goes. I have found the same thing - that these buggies are an awsome buggy at an awsome price. My LHS has the Kyosho 7.5, and I have to say there are a few things that look better on the Redcat/Himoto. And they want $500 for the Kyosho. I got mine for $260.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a skate park! That's a great Idea. The only rc park arond here is down for the winter (in that they rebuild every spring and it's in dire condtion right now

Later
Old 02-03-2006, 08:26 AM
detritus_01

Hi there rc enthusists,
yes from the land of oz and i dont ride kangaroos, i drive my himoto buggy.

i have had it now for bout a month all good except breaking the pullstarter on more than one occasion.

also the steering servo of late has become very sluggish, dunno weather it me batteries but they're fresh?? or is it related to the servo itself help would be great.

HAs anyone tried to attach a tigerdrive to the engine (.27 team infinity), the tiger drive spec page said that it would fit but the survey said.... mmm no, doesnt fit. well not yet till i hack at to make it fit. i got it now might as well try and make it fit.[:@] got right diff size the plate for it attached will me machined with a file and hammer, grinder till it fits.

peace out hippys
Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 AM
synergism721

I've had my eye on Crescent City's skate park and BMX track for a month. Once the rain drys, I'm given both a try. The local paper writes up the weekly busts the police make when the cops bust bikes using the skate park. I'm lookin' forward to bein' in the paper! No on uses the bike track so I'll be OK on its massive jumps and berms. Will my OS 21 pipe help my Infinity 21, or are pipes model specific? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:08 PM
gigemags1155

Hello guys new to the forum and the world of RC's. I am wondering if there is anyone on here (as I have read there are dealers on here) that knows what I can expect to get for say 299-220 bucks in the way of the 1:8 buggy or am I too low on my budget?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance and look forward to posting with you guys about these things.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:37 PM
synergism721

Can anyone tell me if the Redcat 1/8 buggy has a set screw on the center diff? My himoto has one. What's it for?
Old 02-03-2006, 01:33 PM
trpastor

Hi Synergism... sounds like this set screw thing has got you just bewildered I'm not sure what it is for, but I would just mess with it. You really can't break it by messing with it, and yes, I guess it would be for slipping from front to back. My guess would be that if you want it to push more from the back for power then set it to slip more back and if you want more control more towards front.

However I haven't messed with it or felt the urge yet as mine is preforming very well. I do have to take my center diff apart soon so I will let you know if I discover it's purpose for sure.

The redcats will have them as they are the same car.

Also - you may want to post in a Kyosho thread or ask someone at your LHS about it. They may also know as the center of the cars are VERY similar.

Let us know what you find.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Xeller8

ORIGINAL: gigemags1155

Hello guys new to the forum and the world of RC's. I am wondering if there is anyone on here (as I have read there are dealers on here) that knows what I can expect to get for say 299-220 bucks in the way of the 1:8 buggy or am I too low on my budget?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance and look forward to posting with you guys about these things.
Welcome to the forums "gigemags"...

As far as your price range goes....at the top end ($300) you are close....another 30 bucks or so you could get the Hurricane XL with a .21 motor....but I HIGHLY recommend saving up a bit more and going all out and getting yourself a Hurricane XP with the .27 motor...they ROCK...they are SCARY fast!...

You can check prices here: www.redcatracing.com ....or check with one of the dealers on this board (Scott Harp...Chubbysdad...Entity...etc.) and see what THEY are selling them for..

We look forward to having you here in the forums and will be anxious to find out which buggy you decide to buy!

Synergism...you will just have to ask your local hobby shop and compare the pipes....some motors have round exhaust openings...some have square...some have side exit...some have rear exit...just ask around and I'm sure you will find your answer without too much problem.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Buggygovroom

Todays run was great, had a small track set up with a few jumps and a wall ride type ramp, that was the best part. After about a quart of fuel I lost one of the screws for the left rear upper camber arm. Rather it popped out which also meant the rear left axle walked somewhere. Cracked wing and wing brace, and a cracked side chassy plastic.. whatever they are called. My luck sucks with this thing so far but still im having a blast Also got my hyper .21 8 port in but now im stuck with a pullstart again but havent broke it Im out of comission AGAIN =D untill i get all the rear suspension parts i need which dont seem to severe anyway. I'll have to take some video next time I run and post a couple clips.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:20 PM
trpastor

Hey BGV... Are you putting a hyper .21 8 port on the Himoto? Let me know how direct of a fit it is if so

I don't know that you are having that bad of luck really. Missing a bolt here and there is common (especially if you're pretty new... I can't remember. But when new you begin to realize what nuts and bolts to check before you run and in between runs). I've had bolts loosen on every car I've had

As far as the wing... Yeah, those will break. Not much you can do about that. Glad to hear you are having a blast with it. I must say it sounds like you aren't "taking it easy on it" either - would you say?

Glad to see we are getting more people all the time and more and more people are running them and sharing experiences.

I'll have some video soon too, but it had to go on hold as I redo a bathroom

Probably early next week

Old 02-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Xeller8

"Buggygov"..

What is the temp there right now??....more than likely thats why you are breaking plastic...not bad luck.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:27 AM
synergism721

Thanks. I'll keep playin' and let ya know.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:30 AM
synergism721

Thanks 8. My LHS is 90 miles away and don't have alot of car supplies. In fact, I'm runnin' plane fuel. Seems to work OK.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:38 PM
t2

Ok, I have just ran the first tank through in 2 minute intervals, running around 200 degrees and then shutting it off and letting it cool back down. It runs really well, the only piece of info a can share that might be useful is that the low speed needle, the one positioned inside the throttle slide, had to be almost flush with the brass collar before she would run. I know trapstor is running his at about 1/1/2 turns out from full in, but that setting was super lean on my car. So lean in fact that I thought maybe the carb was plugged as it would not prime. I found in the manual that this needle should be about .5mm in from flush with the collar and like magic it started and runs well. I am very impressed with the build of the car. The radio on mine is the FM unit and although it looks super cheesy, works well for now. I am very impressed with the torque of the steering servo. As was said before, this is a good car for the money and I can't wait to really start thrashing.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:09 PM
trpastor

I was actually quoting that from memory so it could be getting mixed up with other cars. I will check it for sure and let you know if I have time.

Glad to hear yours is up and going good!! Have fun and post back

Old 02-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Xellar8 its everything you guys and more. It doesn't compare to the volcano and the tornado. It sure is nice having the starter box.... takes jumps great. The only minor problem I am having is, the tires are just starting to come off the rim a bit. But thats no biggy. I want to change them out anyway. I also messed around with the body. I know something new and gotta mess with it. I stripped the paint off and repainted to for a practice one..... wasn't worth it lol..
I hooked up the new radio and servo's right off the bat. Sweet deal there. I will post some vids soon. I just bought the wife a horse, and new trailer today so that took up our day.. Plus I had to get some practice laps in on the mx track with the quad.. the buggy got post poned ... I am up to a half gallon through it already of Oddonnels and its great. Easy to tune and I like that it doesn't have all the plastic gears like the volcano.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:21 PM
trpastor

Told you guys these buggies are on a whole nother level from the trucks and 1/10 buggies. Glad you are liking it.

Hey - was it BGVroom that changed everything out on theirs with Kyosho? Whomever it was, were the shocktowers a direct fit if I just wanted to go with the kyosho towers and keep the arms?

Old 02-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

And honestly, I loved my hpi, but this is faster than the hpi and to me it even runs better....
Old 02-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Buggygovroom

I have the motor tuned fine, Im not melting plastic. I lost a few nuts and bolts but in spots where it ended my night One popped off the rear upper arm so the rear wheel tilted outward and the axle came out and flew away... i think it landed on my garage roof thank god my friend left his trashed kyosho here cause I pulled off an axle and all the screws i lost. I had to bend the front shock tower back into place and that was about it.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Buggygovroom

Trpastor

I have the shock towers downstairs but if you bent yours they aren't to hard to bend back into place. I had to do it today. it seems like all the metal from the kyosho will swap out its just gold not purple like the redcat. I dont see anything different about them. And i am not taking it to easy anymore since the motor swap i figured id get all i can out of it this time around. The hyper 21 went right in and the flywheel, clutch shoes and clutch bell from the vertex went right on no problem. With the origional motor mounts from the vertex it was drop right in and go. Only thing I couldnt put my roto start housing on the hyper 8 port so im back to a pullstarter which sucks! but i haven't had any problems with the pullstart so no biggy. If its nice tomorrow i'll take some video and post it here.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:13 AM
Xeller8

Chubsdad...

Glad to hear the buggy is working good for you....they're screamers eh?....oh...and LOL @ the paint job!....been there....done that and it wasn't pretty.... the funny thing is...I own a body shop...LOL!

I got a better air filter today... Motorsaver filter for Revo/Tmaxx 2.5 part #RT60....prob is there isn't much room for it with the body on...gotta figure something out there...not much room to work with!

Almost bought a bump box tonight too but decided I'll just wait till a pull start breaks before shelling out the 100 bucks...LOL!
Old 02-05-2006, 03:17 AM
trpastor

Ok - I know there's some others that sell parts here but I've PM'd and haven't gotten a response. For those that sell parts to the 1/8th buggy please send me a message - or if you know who it is let me know. I need to get a few things now. Turns out I bent my steering hub and the shock tower. And a few other things I like to get on hand.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:26 AM
Buggygovroom

Bend them back with a pair of pliers. Its rather easy to bend back into place. I REALLY bent my shock tower yesterday and just bent it back tonight no problem.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:04 AM
Buggygovroom

ORIGINAL: trpastor

Told you guys these buggies are on a whole nother level from the trucks and 1/10 buggies. Glad you are liking it.

Hey - was it BGVroom that changed everything out on theirs with Kyosho? Whomever it was, were the shocktowers a direct fit if I just wanted to go with the kyosho towers and keep the arms?

Unfortunately the only holes from the kyosho shock towers that dont line up are the holes for the pins that hold the upper arms in place.... go figure every other hole lines up fine.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:04 AM
fastarmyguy

I am having the same problem. I just got my car, and it is the 1/10 scale buggy and the manual kinda states 2 different settings for that. I have tried a couple different setting. Could you tell me where you have all your settings on your carb so i can get mine that way to get it running the way it should.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.