Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 11:49 AM
trpastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Hey BGV -

Don't you think they will bend right back rather easily? I will try it for the meantime put want to get them back up to par. I will probably try to get the upgrade to the shock tower. I wish there was a better steering cup though. If I upgrade the shock tower it seems like the steering cup will only take more stress. I'm surprised it bent.

fastarmyguy - there are quite a few posts out there about tuning (mostly about the 1/10th) but in general start with about 3 to 3.5 turns out on the main needle and about 2.5 turns out on the low speed. If it stalls or is blubbery and dies on the first 1/2 of acceleration the LSscrew is either too rich or too lean. If it dies after it gets going its the HSN and it's either too rich or lean depending on where it is.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:41 AM
redbull08

Hello everyone i got on this forum about a week or so ago looking to get a buggy and i finaly did it. I ordered the Hurricane XP and i got a great deal. I saw someone asking if they can get one for 220-299 and let me tell you i received mine for 315 with shipping and now i am just waiting for the UPS to come to my door with it. Now the question is what would be the first thing you would do to it right off the bat? I was thinking of ordering some of the metal parts for it right away since i know they are going to break on the first day. I also just found out there is a indoor racing park that has dirt track, drag racing, and a on road track so i need to get some practice before i start racing. I know when talking to BGV you were saying to change the clutch around to get some more burst off the gate so i think that is what i might do.

Well i just wanted to say thanks guys, hearing everything you had to say about the car really helped on my choice.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Xeller8

Cool!...welcome to the 'Cane XP club..yer gonna love it!

First thing you should do is check all screws...nuts and fasteners to make sure everything is tight...INCLUDING THE HEAD BOLTS....mine were loose but didn't discover it until it was too late and I'm pretty sure my engine is toast now...I'm really bummed![]

*Note*...don't overtighten the wheel nuts...just make sure they are all equally snug then check to see how free they roll..

Make sure you have fresh batteries in the controller and the receiver...make sure they are both ON before starting your car and that your servos are in their centered (neutral) position and not pulling the throttle open....take the air cleaner off and look down the throat of the carb....there should be about a 1/16 or so gap...make sure your ignitor is fully charged and the glow plug is tight...just to be sure you might want to take out the glow plug and hook it up to the ignitor to make sure it is good....fill the tank with fuel...prime the engine by plugging the exhaust and pulling the pullstart and watch for fuel going through the line until it reaches the carb....now give her a few quicker tugs and see if she starts...don't pull the cord too far though...one trick I use is to center my chest over the engine and lean in so my hand will hit my chest if I pull more than about 8 inches...it may feel weird at first and you smack your chest a little hard the first few times but after a bit it will become second nature on how far to pull and you won't keep beating yourself up...

Once you get her started there are a lot of posts (especially in the official truck thread) about break in and tuning...start out slow and resist the temptation to give her hell....max should only be about 1/2 throttle during break in and not for extended periods of time....I posted a link to an interesting article on break in....I'll see if I can dig up the link for you...I'm too tired to type it all at the momment...LOL!

Another bit of advice....I see you live in MI....if the weather is cold (which I think I'm safe in assuming it IS right now) do not go thrashing around too much....I'd recommend doing your break in and running in a wide open smooth area (like a parking lot) free of any obsticles or temptations to jump the thing in the cold...

One thing you can do to help fight against breakage is to tear down the front and rear suspension and boil all the plastic parts for about an hour...(upper and lower control arms...camber and toe adjusters...etc..)this DOES improve flexibility...it worked for ME....but the main thing is.....cold temps equal easier breakage and it goes without saying what running into stuff DEFINITELY does...heh!

Any questions just holler...

We look forward to hearing how it goes!

*edit*....I finally found that link to that write up on break in I mentioned: http://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php

It's 1:30 A.M...gotta work in a few hours so I'm hittin the rack!
Old 02-06-2006, 05:12 AM
Buggygovroom

Some clips, Not much for 4 hours of running but I didnt bring out the camera till later.

High Speed Pass (almost smashed my camera

http://media.putfile.com/High-Speed-Pass

Some Doghnuts

http://media.putfile.com/Doghnuts

Kyosho bows down to the Redcat on the straight! (Redcat Left Side)

http://media.putfile.com/Kyosho-Bites-it

Some Misc stuff.

http://media.putfile.com/Musc

Image is at the end of the day after I broke a wing, and some stuff came loose in the front. But nothing other than the wing broke today and it was a LONG day of running I broke down the car to the chassy last night and cleaned everything and tightened everything as i put it back together. Id say it payed off. Now about having no tread left on those tires... thats another issue alltogether

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99921.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	402924  
Old 02-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Xeller8

Nice vids Buggygov!

Can't get the doughnut one to play for some reason.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:30 PM
trpastor

THanks for the videos BGV. So what was running in the Kyosho (the .21 or something else) and did you have the .21 or the .27? Just curious. I'm assumign from how badly it was beat the engine sizes were different?

Welcome rebull. Xeller8 gave you some very good info. The only things I would add is that I'm YET to break any plastic (oh wait - the front bumper is cracked) but I have bent my shock tower and a steering cup (both metal). I don't know that I would run out and buy the upgrades.

Also - just assume from the start you are not going to get the hang of tuning from the start and it's going to seem like there's something wrong with the car. There's probably not - it's just when you're new it takes time to find out how much of a change you can make, or what it's supposed to do. There's a lot of good info in this thread about if it's doing this then do this. and so on.

Post the questions you do have though and good luck

Old 02-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Moto8
My Feedback: (1)

I have been reading this board in my consideration to purchase a Redcar Buggy. I am leaning more and more toward them. One Question If I were to get replacement bodies, which one or ones would you guys who have the hurricane suggest ?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:17 PM
trpastor

Anything that fits the Kyosho's should fit. I tried an Ofna and it didn't quite line up

Old 02-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Chubbysdad

In my honest opinion, the Himoto skins look much better
Old 02-06-2006, 05:57 PM
trpastor

ChubD- Do you mean they fit better? I was thinking if they wanted to paint their own. Have you seen the Kyoshos on these buggies and they don't fit well?

Old 02-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Chubbysdad

They fit the same. They are a direct fit, but also I mean they look better.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Buggygovroom

The kyosho was running a .21 Rossi Gold motor. Im just a better driver and better at tuning Im giving the cat a new paintjob and motor upgrade in 2 weeks. I still have the .21 in now and im going to get an O.S. .21 soon and keep the hyper as a backup beater.

Dunno why the doghnut one wont play X
Old 02-07-2006, 01:51 AM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Buggy,

Nice Videos.

If you let me use those on the Redcat Racing website I will shoot you out some new tires and a new wing.

Let me know.

Email me directly.

[email protected]

Thanks man. Nice stuff.

Darin
Old 02-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Buggygovroom

New look.. a red redcat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11971.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	403671  
Old 02-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Xeller8

Yeah those were good vids...I'm planning on doing some once the weather warms up..MY camera only does 20-30 second clips though...I may see if one of my friends has an actual vid cam I can borrow...

I also need to figure out what the heck happened to my motor.....think I might have gotten a defective motor...not a good seal between the head and block and I didn't catch it until it was too late...oh well...these things happen and I'm sure we will figure something out.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Buggygovroom

Mine will only get about a minute total of video. I had to keep running inside to empty the card and retake
Old 02-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Buggygovroom

How to dry paint faster

http://media.putfile.com/How-to-Dry-Paint
Old 02-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Xeller8

LOL!!

Sounds like she is running very good!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Buggygovroom

Redcat Buggy... 300 dollars.
Cannon Powershot camera... 289 dollars.
Mounting your Cannon Powershot on your Redcat Buggy with rubber bands at 60 mph.... Priceless

http://media.putfile.com/Priceless26
Old 02-07-2006, 05:35 PM
trpastor

ahhaah that is friggin hilarious BGV... Looks like when it got going fast it would point upwards, huh?

Hey Guys! I WOULD have some footage to show you of my buggy takinga beating and surviving but my wife was recording and DIDN'T hit record, ahhaha. And then when I stopped becuase I chipped more teeth out on my spur gear she discovered it but I was out of commission. I have a spur gear on hand and will flip it out tonight and be sure to get some video (I'll make sure she hits record).
Old 02-07-2006, 06:22 PM
redbull08

Nice rims you put on there, where did you get them? Saw some nice one's they had on the redcat site that are 5 stars but those are cool also. Again thanks for all of the info I should have mine in the next 2-5 days at the most. The only problem now is it is freezing and just snowed!!
Old 02-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Buggygovroom

Oh yea, at times the front will lift off the ground if its warm enough. It was a bit cold today and there was a lot of fishtailing going on

The rims are ofna 5 stars and ofna street tires from nitrohouse.com. Id love to get the aluminum ones from redcat but they are kinda pricey at the moment but would definitely be cool to have and withstand a beating Im not really jumping till i can get some shock oil and make some adjustments. The shop i go to was all out but they put that motor aside for me
Old 02-07-2006, 09:05 PM
redbull08

Yeah it has been freezing the last few days here and of course the week my XP comes in the mail. Buggy you use the tracks that often and race? Was thinking on picking up a clutch bell with some less teeth on it to go racing in a week or so. I know I have only been on this for a week or so but i have read all 7 pages of this thread and i guess i would of thought Darin would have some more info about his product on here. Please i dont want any hate mail because of that I am just saying maybe some updates of what he has going on, new parts coming out, tips on the problems he has read on this thread. I dont know about you guys but maybe once a week letting us know what Redcat has going on, it only helps us and is great for him to bring in more business. On another note I can not wait till it comes i am pumped to get it out on the road and smoke the tires off of it.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:12 PM
trpastor

Hey Redbull- Glad to see you eager to get it. They are great buggies.

As far as Darin posting some updates, I think that would be a great idea but I don't know if he will have time. I know right now they are moving their warehouse (he just got back to me about a mod I sent in) so I'm sure that's slowing them down, but it looks like they are trying to get all the parts and upgrades in they can.

I'm sure it won't be long and we will see some carbon fiber parts and stuff like that. (PS - Darin if you are reading this I'm know there are some company's that make carbon fiber parts for upgrades. If you need contact info I can get it for you)

Anyway - just drive it as it is for a while They are a blast out of the box. Then you will begin to find what you want to upgrade.

Keep up posted.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:30 PM
redbull08

Like i said i was just making a comment, i am sure they are great out of the box and i dont have it yet so i cant say anything bad about it. I just know myself and i dont like anything stock no matter how fast or strong it is so i figure i should just ask know. i know i am going to replace things on it, I would rather get it from Redcat then buying something from another car if i can. Now for carbon fiber thats sounds like something i would really like to get into on my car. Talk to everyone later(hopefully when i get it).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.