Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:47 PM
t2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

I have remounted my smart temp on the lid of the radio box and am starting to get confidence in it. One thing that seems fairly certain to me however, is that you can throw out the old notion of leaning this motor out untill it runs its best, and then going back out on the HSN a 1/8th of a turn (team infinity 27). Sure it will run good but very hot. I have decided that 275 is my upper limit and to keep it under that temp I have to run it quite rich. About a 1/2 turn out from optimum performance and she was tearing up the yard pretty good at about 250 degrees. I really do think that the smart temp fail safe is a good tool for tuning your motor. It has allowed me to keep much better track of the running temp than ever before and when it gets over the limit it cuts back the throttle to what ever you set it to. the one thing I like best is that when it gets low on fuel and starts to lean out I know it instantly because the temp shoots up and the over temp fail safe is activated. The other thing that has become certain to me is that the infinity 27 is a gas hog. This is my first experiance with anything bigger than a 21 and it really goes through a tank fast. If I could run this motor at its optimum setting I believe it would be faster than the OS 21 that I used to have in my inferno. As I have to run it (rich) to keep the temp down I dont feel it is any better that a good 21.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Xeller8

Hey Tim....She looks pretty sick eh??...hehe!

Bottom end acceleration means just that...slower off the line...however you are correct...the top end will be faster once it winds up...

I just tried it briefly and it isn't THAT bad really...but I can definitely tell the difference off the line...and oh yes...jumps are MUCH softer now...it's like landing on pillows..."POOF!"...LOL!

These tires are a little bigger than I had hoped for or wanted...it irks me that NOBODY seemed to be able to provide the dimensions for these tires...but oh well they are pretty cool anyways...notice the tread design??...."NIKE"....LOL!!

The downfall of this mod is that I more than doubled the rolling mass on each corner....seeings how I mix my own paint here in the shop I have a paint scale so I was able to compare weight...the stock wheels and tires weigh about 103 grams each and these new ones weigh 249 grams each...OUCH!...thats why I'm thinking a gear change (down) will be in order now...

I was having fun testing them out until one tire came off the rim at high speed and took off down the road ahead of me...(I haven't glued em up yet but of course I just HAD to try it out)...LOL!

And no....no other modifications were necessary....the wheels and tires are from Ofna so they bolted right on.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Buggygovroom

I knew it!!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Xeller8

LOL!

*hands Buggygov a cookie*

Yeah buddy...this is where I start frying clutches and stripping diff gears!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Buggygovroom

X
my buddy is trying to get a truggy kit for his kanai, where did you get your parts from? if theres a better way id like to let em know about it.

I dont even know if i should be posting in this forum anymore since my car is only like 1/3 redcat anymore, the only thing left on it is the origional chassy, radio tray and um... servo tray with the origional radio equipment.

I'll post pics of the redcat/kyosho conversion as soon as all the aluminum parts come.. should look really nice with the new paint and sure as hell should take more of a beating
Old 03-04-2006, 01:23 AM
Xeller8

ORIGINAL: Buggygovroom

I dont even know if i should be posting in this forum anymore since my car is only like 1/3 redcat anymore, the only thing left on it is the origional chassy, radio tray and um... servo tray with the origional radio equipment.

LMAO!!....Yeah buddy!....I hear what you are saying...mine is quite the conglomerate anymore too...that why I nicknamed her Frankenbuggy!...

But hey....hell YES keep posting...we are showing people what we can do with these buggies...we are showing that we can get in cheap and mod them they way we want them and can make them as fast or faster and as durable or more durable than the major name brands without having as much money in them as some do with the major brands!

I got my wheels from Horizon hobby and the tires from Nitrohouse...only because Nitrohouse was out of stock on the wheels I wanted....they were 3 bucks a pair cheaper than Horizon but I didn't want to wait another week or two to get them so I spent the extra 6 bucks...I'll tell ya though...this wasn't cheap....I spent close to 70 bucks!

I have found through my research that not only will Ofna...Kyosho and Traxxas wheels fit...but so will Sportwerks and I'm sure there are more...just have to make sure they have the 17mm wheel mount and you are good to go.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Buggygovroom

You didnt use a truggy conversion kit? just wheels? no spacers or anything?
Old 03-04-2006, 01:57 AM
Xeller8

Didn't need spacers...the offset on these wheels is like almost 3/4 of an inch as it is...

Like I said earlier...they are a TAD bit bigger than I was wanting but they work good...they ARE catching the edge of the body with the inside edge of the tire (behind the front wheel) just slightly when I turn the wheels all the way one direction or the other (at speed) but I think I can remedy that with a little trimming or reshaping with a heatgun...I only need about a 1/4 of an inch or less....no big deal really.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:06 PM
ScottHarp

trpastor -- did you get the glithc fixed?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:04 PM
ScottHarp

Has anyone found some rear toe in blocks for these? I think that the ones that come on it are 2*. I would like to experiment with some different settings. I am looking int owether or not Redcat has these.

I want to say a million years ago RPM made and adjustable one for either the Yokomo or Kyosho Optima-Mid. These are the two 4WD buggies I had.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Xeller8

I agree Scott...I also have been wanting to figure out a way to adjust rear toe....these things are pigeon toed as HELL.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:00 PM
raceman17

Has anybody taken one of these buggies to the track yet? I am wanting to get one to race with but, I dont want to get laughed at when I'm out there. Do these have a front, center and rear differential that you can adjust with oil? Also do they have dual brakes so you can adjust brake bias from front to rear? Also, do the treaded rods on the upper a arm break easy. It seems that everybody at the track is breaking these rods on other types of buggies. Also do any titanium rods fit the a arms? Thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 10:08 PM
trpastor

Raceman - I haven't raced one yet but I can tell you it performs every bit as good as the ofna's I've had experience with. I've got a hyper 7 I need to get ready to go when I get time. I can let you know how it performs compared to that too in a little.

I haven't broken anything. And I've had some VERY nasty hit's crashes flips etc. I bent a shock tower and a steering cap.

If you get laughed off, keep using it and tweaking it until you start beating them, and then laugh at them

They are very capable buggies.

OH - and yes, of course they have front center and rear diffs. They do have front and back brakes. They are very similar replica's of the Kyosho 7.5. So if you consider it to be good enough I would say the redcat is good enough

(I don't know if I told you guys all this - but I went into another local HS here and they guys was looking and opening up the battery compartment really examining it - and when I told him what i got it for he said he thought I got one heck of a deal and that it "really uses some quality parts")

Old 03-05-2006, 10:17 PM
ScottHarp

ORIGINAL: raceman17

Has anybody taken one of these buggies to the track yet? I am wanting to get one to race with but, I dont want to get laughed at when I'm out there. Do these have a front, center and rear differential that you can adjust with oil? Also do they have dual brakes so you can adjust brake bias from front to rear? Also, do the treaded rods on the upper a arm break easy. It seems that everybody at the track is breaking these rods on other types of buggies. Also do any titanium rods fit the a arms? Thanks

That is the only place I have taken mine. Playing in the yard just is no fun for me.

Anyway. On the diffs, yes to all three questions. Dual brakes and adjustable with the linkages. I have not broken the rods but only one upper A-Arm. It these treaded rods break, you have hit something VERY HARD and will have more problems than that.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:28 PM
ScottHarp

Xeller --

I HAVE AN IDEA!!
Old 03-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Xeller8

ME TOO....GMTA!!....LOL!!

Old 03-05-2006, 10:43 PM
ScottHarp

I have my car here, I must go take a look. gimme a sec.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:46 PM
ScottHarp

Ok, just looked at the car.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:07 PM
raceman17

Ok, couple more questions, whats the difference between the xp and xl. Is it only the engine size? Also what would be the better on to get between the two. The track I will be racing at is very tight with alota turns, it's more of a drivers track than a speed track. Theres only two jumps. Also are the servos that come in the car junk? Should I plan on upgrading them. Also what are the replacement parts that I need to get? I have read all 15 pages of this tread and it seems like the shock towers are pretty weaker. Im betting I can cut one of those things out on the waterjet machine at work and make it outta aluminum. Thanks for the quick reply also.
Later
Old 03-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Xeller8

The shock towers ARE aluminum...at least they are on the XP...I think the only diff between the 2 is engine size....the XL has a .21 in it which is of race legal size.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:18 PM
ScottHarp

The first thing you are going to want to do, if you race, is get rid of the supplied radio gear. You will also want a fail-safe.

As far as the differences. The engine is one and the XP comes with the chrome pipe.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:18 PM
raceman17

Ok, at the track I race at, the engine size doesnt matter. It only matters for the big races (I dont run any of those anyway) Im just looking for a good buggy to buy. I have a traxxas revo and that thing is pretty dang durable. It has a lot of adjustaments that can be done to it to make it a basher or a racer. Ive taken it to the track a couple of times and ran it. Thanks for the replys
Old 03-06-2006, 01:13 AM
mozzzy_2000

Hey Raceman17. I'll put my hand up with trpastor & say that this is one dam good value buggy! I am very inexpereinced in the nitro field though & have not raced but these things really fly once you get them worked in nicely. They are extremely robust. I have twice slammed mine at very high speeds into treated pine posts up at the local park and it suffered absolute minimal damage. On both occasions it slammed square on the front lower right arm & on both occasions it was only the steering mount that snapped with virtually zero damage to anything else. The arm axles were ever so slightly bent & just needed a slight straightning. The first time, we "plastic soldered" the steering mount to great effect as it was a clean snap. Well until I slammed it good & proper the second time in the exact same place. It of course really gave way but again Zero other damage. These crashes were almost at full speed & due to the slide & drift I of course lost control & over estimated the distance. Things seem to pop out of nowhere very dam fast! Especially when you are driving it towards yourself. You really need a massive area to really drive these hey. In regards to the shock towers they are the stock aluminimum ones & mine are holding up nicely.
I too have taken mine in to my LHS where the guy's eyes popped open when I told him how much it cost. I have examined a Kyosho mp7.5 closely & you could say that this is a "MP7.5 clone" One of the guys in the LHS used to race buggys & said that this one was an excellent deal & couldn;t beleive it came with an Infintiy .27 as stock. These engines of course are not strickly "legal" in terms of the national & worlds but I beleive most clubs still race them in club races. Of course a high quality race tuned .21 engine will be just as if not more powerfull than the infinity .27. But judging by the speed mine's getting, you are definately going to beat some better cars hey.
I have not had any rear major problems with my radio system as yet. The only thing is that the range is not that great but the servos hold up very well. Not sure why people are moaning about them because mine show impressive torque. The only other thing is they can "jitter" when the radio signal gets low but I'm keeping mine until they completely stuff up.
In terms of temp I have had great success with the venom smart temp. Its temp guage seems very accurate so much so that when you first turn it on it will give you a very accurate air temp. Mine too has been running hot & when I asked the expert at the LHS, he said he would not be supprised if it ran at about 280F at operating temperature, I have also read from a few posts that people using the real mp7.6 were finding that Kyosho engine to run at about 300F. so it doesn't supprise me. I have had mine at about 280-290 & it seems to "love" that temp. although having said, that the LHS removed & reinstalled the cooling head to check it for me & now it seems to be running a lot cooler. It may have been another case of a small air leak causing an abnormally lean setting. I have noticed that now its properly tuned it does drink through the juice but i have been told thats quiet normal & in most conditions a tank will only last about 10 minutes under normal conditions.
all in all, for the price, you simply wont find a better nitro buggy. The next best buggy I could price was a Hyper TQ, which is close in configuration but again costs close to $150 more than mine! Of course theirs lots of "trick stuff", like thicker alloy towers, you can hop it up. But even with its stock parts its very tough indeed and no different in quality to the stock parts of the MP7.5 or Hyper TQ.
Infact I beleive that these Buggys are made in the same Kyosho factory but just to different specifications. And if anyone was wondering 99% of all buggys come out of HK & China I have been told.
Anyway I'd recommend one of these any day. At these prices these buggys are going to break open the market to a whole bunch of new people who previously haven't been able to afford the hobby.
Enjoy! ps. don;t forget a fail safe or there'll be tears!......
Old 03-06-2006, 10:08 AM
trpastor

Hey Mozzy -

Very good evaltuation and summary (one post above) ! I hope that gives him and others that come and read the forum some info about these to use in their decision.

One other thing that I wanted to ask and mention is first of all I"m glad it sounds like you are up and going with very few problems now.

Did you finally get a handle on all the tuning aspects. I know coming into it he was getting a bit frustrated but (correct me if I'm wrong) I think now he's got it going and with few tuning issue's. I think it's important to know for newbie's that you will have (with any nitro) a learning curve on tuning (and general understanding) and while it's steep it's very swift (in that it won't take long to tackle). This is true whether it's an ofna or kyosho or himoto/redcat etc.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 AM
raceman17

Well, I placed my order foe the xp this morning. I guess I will see how it goes. Thanks for the info all of you have provided. I will keep yall updated on the buggy as well.
Later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.