Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Xeller8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

COOL!...I think you are going to like it!

Welcome to the club man!
Old 03-06-2006, 07:02 PM
trpastor

Cool! Welcome aboard. Keep us posted with questions. There's almost always someone that can help
Old 03-06-2006, 09:44 PM
redbull08

Ok so i finally received my new pull start today. I pulled the engine, took the old one off, the new one came with a new nut for the crankshaft and when i went to install it the cord does not roll back??? Am i doing something wrong?? I cant wait to get this thing running but with out a pull start I am done. Thanks guys this site has been wonderful and the help is outstanding, i just wish i could get it going so i can add to it.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:05 PM
raceman17

The nut you are talkin about, is that the one way bearing? If so, take it back off and put it on the shaft the other direction. It could be placed on there backwards. When you look at the back of the engine, the one way bearing should lock up when you try to spin it clockwise.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:13 PM
trpastor

Hey Redbull

I just noticed raceman's response, and I was going to suggest you try that, but it sounds more like the spring is not wound which is SHOULD be if it's brand new.

I have redone mine. It takes a bit of struggles to get it right. I could do it again without a problem but it took me a full day to try it, rest and think, try it etc before I got it.

Then I found this site that had it on there that would have helped. It's probably not exactly like this one but close enough that you can figure it out.

The trick is to get it on there right and then wind it backwards (I believe) and then pull the string out, wind it backwards pull the string out about 3 times. Then when you let go it wants to wind it up

Here's the site
http://www.hpi-europe.com/walkthroughs.php?lang=en
Old 03-06-2006, 11:11 PM
mozzzy_2000

Hey guys. Yeah as a beginner I'll admit I was way over me head in this when I first got it. But as Trpastor says its a very steep but very quick learning curve & ultimately a very rewarding one in the end. Yes I'll admit that at times I wanted to smash the car against the nearest wall but one must be extremely patient with these things. You'll want to cry & yell at times but stick with it. the end result will make it all the better. Trust me on that one. It wil blow your mind. I am finding my car is a huge head turner & if your in a park or something, expect to get some spectators, expecially little kids whose eyes pop out when they see how fast these things go. Actually I had an amusing day the otherday when these kids came down to watch. There was a kid from across the road who came down & then went back & got out his "little" 1:10 road racer. He cranked it up & it sounded like a mosquito compared to mine. It sounded quite funny really. I shouldn;t laugh though as he was young but geez you could hear the difference in engine quality as mine was sounding more like a high performance 2 stroke motorbike screaming its t*ts off!
Trpastor yes I am now getting the hang of tuning. I really didn;t grasp how sensitive these things are at first. The difference between a good & bad tune can be millimetres on the needles. I found the smart temp very good in that regard. Every little twiddle of the needle results in a remarkable change in temp & using the smart temp is great to ensure you have got it running at a good temp.
I have it had it for about 6 weeks now & feel I have a good grasp on the concept now. It just takes time & perseverance for the beginner and for me I really needed the inital help of my trusty hobby shop. Even though I didn;t buy it there they are more than happy to help me & infact they all know me by name now cuz I've been in there so many times with questions & tuning problems.
Actually the pro in there said he found the best way to tune each day was once its baciscally tuned, on each day he says he richens the HSN about half a turn & then ever so slowly leans it out to its happiest setting for the day. He rekons with that technique you can rarely go wrong & and for me its worked great. The engine will start at about 200F, rich & blubbery. From there just lean it out till you get it at a good compromise between top speed & temp. I had mine running well at about 250-260F the otherday before my monumental crashes. Gotta get a camera as I am sure there'll be more specky prangs. Before the cooling head was reattached it was running 280-290F but as I said before, the pro at the shop reckons thats not really unusual for an engine this size (.27).
But all in all from one novice to another, extreme patience is the key. It does take time & at times you'll think you've wasted your money but trust me, you haven't. You will possibly have the best fun you've had in years! And if you really have problems do not be affraid of seeking help from the local hobby store! This is their life after all & they love playing with these things hey. I thought I might be laughed out of the shop with my "no name" himoto but was pleasantly supprised when the guys in there were floored at this buggy's quality & price. The guy in there used to race nitro so you don;t get a better endoresment than that. I reckon.
Hey trpastor I went through the forums last night & found a lot of threads in regards to people slagging off these buggys. Hopefully I put an end to any "unwarranted" attacks on these buggies with a few facts. Its just so dam annoying reading someone dissing these as "some cheap chinese" brand. These people I have found aren;t even owners or even seen them or used them at all. They just presume that because its not a known brand its automatically crap. Couldn;t be further from the truth as 99% of all cars come out of the same factories in china. I saw one silly git post pictures of the front end of a bazooka compared to the front end of a kyosho mp7.5 stating that they couldn;t be more different. He fails to mention that the Kyosho had all the add on hop ups including the thick towers & carbon radio plate etc. So that in itself was misleading. The kyosho was so obviously hopped up. But as we all know we can hop ours up to bascially the same specs anyway.
Thankfully we have this excellent thread going & hopefully we can quell the misinformation going around about these buggies.
Now I have the thing going all right, I think its time to work out what all the adjustable stuff does on the car. I find though in its stock standard configuration it handles very well. HAs anyone had a real "play" with the settings? Any advice? Can the brakes be adjusted to shift the braking distribution back or forward for instance?
Oh and if anyone was wondering about Roto start on these buggys? I broke my cord twice & converted to a roto start. This thing is bloody fantastic I couldn't reccomend them highly enough. They are THAT good!!
Cheers
Matt
ps. Trpastor I spoke to fibre lyte in the UK and he was telling me racers have told him that their 4.5MM carbon shock towers are virtually indestructable. Did you find out anything more about drilling carbon fibre? My cousin is a champion sailor & boat builder & I was thinking he's probably got the tools to cut carbon fibre in his shop. Hmmm I'll let you know about that one...could be interesting..
Old 03-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Xeller8

Very nice post Mozzzy....CHEERS![8D]

I agree....THIS thread has been positive and fun....it's the 1/10 boys who are screaming and thrashing about...I understand them being a little upset about a few things that have been going wrong or breaking but it seems to be getting a little out of hand over there...

Even then...I feel ALL of these rigs are pretty darn good products for the money (even MORE so the 1/8's!) the rest just need to be handled properly.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:43 PM
jcam54

tell me about it.
I come here to read yalls thread for the sanity it contains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Xeller8

John.

THAT coming from a Volcano owner.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:15 AM
trpastor

hey Mozzy

I'm so glad you've gotten the hang of it all. I remember some of your posts had plenty of frustration in them at first. And now you are on to getting down to the nitty gritty of these things.

I haven't found out more about drilling the carbon. Were the carbon parts dealers helpful at all on that? I can't remember what you said if you had asked etc. I was thinking about ordering a bunch of carbon parts and selling upgrades but I don't know how many people would be able to find me who have these buggies.

As far as the thread - I'm glad everyone has found it beneficial. When I started it I thought I was going to get laughed off by some of the equipment snobs that you mentioned mozzy. Glad to find we had some frontiersman in here!
Old 03-07-2006, 12:16 AM
trpastor

Oh - PS - I've foudn mine runs best at about 270 also. I think my engine is fine but I haven't had time to mess with my radio gear (the futaba stuff not the stuff that came with it. I really didn't have any problems with the original but I went fixing what wasn't broke and see where it got me

Hey Mozzy - what roto start did you find for yours? Was it just a back plate that you use a drill on to start?

Old 03-07-2006, 12:26 AM
redbull08

Well you were right, two seconds after reading this i just turned the bearing around and sure enough it worked. Thanks I tell you i can pull apart a car engine and put it back no problem but this small thing and i was fustrated. I had thought i received the wrong part at first. Pulling on it still gives me worries not started before so i think i am going to hold out a couple of days and take it to the hobby shop. When you guys got yours did you just start pulling on it and hope it started? I primed the gas, charged my ignighter, put in fresh batteries but it just did not want to start. I think while it is in the shop i am going to order the roto start so this wont be a problem again.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:30 AM
raceman17

I am a mechanical engineer at an Aerospace company. We work with carbon fiber all the time. What are you guys wanting to do? Drill it or get parts made for the buggies? I know when we put together carbon fiber equipment rack, we just drill the holes where we need them and put inserts into the carbon fiber. (this is only done because of the crash loads the racks have to withstand) Also I operate a waterjet machine also. You can cut the carbon fiber with the waterjet. But from the looks of all the carbon fiber parts, Im guessing they are using a CNC machine.
Later
Old 03-07-2006, 12:33 AM
raceman17

Heres alittle trick so you are more easy on the pull cord. Before you try to start the engine, take the glowplug and loosen it about 1 complete turn. This will loosen up the compression and make the motor turn over easier. Once you get it started, tighten her back up and off you go. This really works great.
Later
Old 03-07-2006, 09:21 AM
trpastor

Hey Redbull - I'm guessing that it is in the priming - either too much or too little, but it could be in needle settings or 1/2 dozen other considerations (that we've mentioned before). It probably would be best to have some hands on with someone who has a little experience with them to get you going so you can start to get a feel for it.

My first car (not this one) started right up for me. I was pretty lucky that I didn't have any issues. but it was probably just that , luck - that I had done things good enough to get er going.

raceman - good tip on the starting. I never thought of that.

On the carbon parts, there's some carbon parts that fit kyosho but need one set of holes drilled to fit the redcats, so yes, we are just trying to add those. So with just plain old carbide or titanium bits you can drill through?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2006, 10:35 AM
raceman17

Drilling carbon fiber is not a problem. Just use a regular drill bit. You want to be careful and use a couple different size drill bits to step up to hole to the size you want. Its just like drilling fiberglass. You should have no problems.
Later
Old 03-07-2006, 01:05 PM
mozzzy_2000

Nah I forgot to ask them about drilling but the towers sound dam tough hey. 4.5MM is pretty thick even for alloy. But yes they are the MP7.5 carbon parts. Didn't go for the steering bar as its straight verus curved as on the redcat & they reckon its brittle if you have a head on. But the other parts should fit like the side guards, the break/diff guard and the front brace. The only question mark still hangs over the towers but I have seen about 3 different shapes in hop up towers all claiming to fit the MP7.5 so anyway I wont know until I give it a go. But if its easy to drill, then "bob's ya uncle!" as we'ld say down here. If worse comes to worse I suppose I can still get rid of them.
And boy or boy did I have some grumpy teething probs with mine in the beggining. Just check back in the thread if you don;t beleive me. It'll probably make you laugh. My advice is that if its still not starting do not be affraid to take it in to the shop hey. Like I said before the guys in my LHS think the buggy's great. So don't hestitate on that notion. I tried to keep on going without help & after 3 days of not being able to start it I was ready to throw it against the wall. Don;t make the same mistake as I did! As it turned out the factory settings were so way off it took a pro over an hour himself to get it going & he reckons a novice like me would have never got it started. loosening the glow plug is a good option & you'll have to do that if you flood the engine anyway but don;t loosen it too much like i did as fuel spurts out everywhere. One full turn on mine would be too loose so experiment a little as I am sure not all engines or plugs for that matter are the same. But yeah as Trpastor said and as I recently discovered it could be a dozen things wrong & in my case I needed the help of my LHS on more than one occasion. In my case I flip the car early on without its cover on(yes ok naughty me but hey what can I say?) but we think the cooling head may have been knocked a little. Pissed off actually as it took a little "bite" out of the cooling fins! It could have also been a loose seal around the airfilter. I put a new tighter kitchen tie on & it seems to be running much better as well. You could also try a different plug. I used an OS A5 plug for running in but now use the OS #8. The plugs can make a huge difference i've found.
Trpastor, in regards to the roto start it is exactly that. The HPI Roto Start. Not sure what back plate was used on my infinity but the shop had one & fitted the whole thing in about 30 minutes for $100 AUS. Not sure how that compares to US prices but thats about $74US all fitted. This shop also sells the tiger drive, which is one of the drill start ones & the pro in there shook his head & said "junk!" Apparantly they are poorly geared & break & fail easily. They use the roto start themselves & engines like the new SH .28 prospec 6 port, are now coming out with roto start backplates as either optional or standard. Gee I could rave on all night about how good these rotostarts are! I seriosuly wished I had put it on as soon as I got the buggy. In any case the next engine I get, I will be doing exactly that; flagging off the pesky little pull cord. Running it in would have been that much easier.
I'm off the road still but I started it up today to run a bit of juice through it & its now starting up in seconds. I had to always put the throttle trim on a tad to get it going but its starting so easily now. Very easy to prime too. I actually get a kick out of starting it up now its like turning on your car. Plus its so noisey I love peeing off the neighbours once in awhile with it! haha.
Still waiting for parts. Thats the only gripe I have about these is the parts availability. But most things in the hobby shops are so expensive anyway it pays to get your stuff of the net anyway. I've seen the new 5 Port Infinity .28 for about $120US($165AUS) delivered in Australia. But similar engines cost 3-4 times as much in the shops here.
I'm just itching to get it back on the road & my patirnce is being sorely tested thats for sure!
Cheers guys!
Matt

Old 03-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Xeller8

Lets talk about mail box posts shall we??

The equation is....40 MPH + cutting it too close to a mailbox post = MAJOR WRECK!

O.K...so...here it is a nice evening and a couple of buddies who are interested in getting these buggies wanted to see mine run with the big tires on it...

So there I was cookin down the road next to my shop showing off and my Truggy was coming towards me..so of course I suffered temporary steering dislexia and instead of steering AWAY from the mailbox post at the end of the the driveway to my shop I briefly and ever so slightly adjusted the WRONG direction...when I corrected it was too late...due to the sand on the side of the road the rear of the Truggy slid a bit sideways and JUST enough to catch the post with the back wheel and WHAM!

I wish like HELL this would have been on video as it LOOKED REALLY COOL!!...the right rear suspension went flying one direction and the Truggy spun around really fast 4 or 5 times...it was definitely a video moment!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34894.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	422252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40978.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	422253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45094.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	422254  
Old 03-07-2006, 07:04 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh thats ugly.

Shoot me an email with parts you need and let me see what I can do for you my man.

Darin
Old 03-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Xeller8

Yeah...but DAYUM it was COOL!....LMAO!

I'll shoot you an e-mail with a summary of the carnage...thanks for the response Bud!

Hey...you know what??...this gives me an idea for a thread.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Buggygovroom

The all aluminum front and rear kyosho inferno suspension swap is almost done... looks kinda wierd in this pic but the lighting sucks i'll post more later but heres where its at so far front and rear...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99220.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	422474  
Old 03-08-2006, 12:03 AM
trpastor

HOLY crap xeller! THat must have been one hard hit. The tire was ripped half off and everything.

Well at least you enjoyed the visual.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Xeller8

LMAO!!...yep...it was a pretty kickass wreck!

I really need to have someone out there with a vid cam JUST IN CASE something like that happens...it would have been awesome to have a slow motion replay of it....especially my buddies faces!---->[X(][X(]....classic I tell ya!....LOL!

Like Jcam and I were talking about last night....I'm glad I didn't have alloy control arms as I'm sure the damage would have been FAR worse and much more expensive...I more than likely would be replacing the chassis too...at least the plastic snapped clean and kept the damage isolated to the right rear suspension...

Speaking of alloy....hey Buggygov...she's lookin pretty good and I know what you are saying about the lighting....thats about the ONLY thing I don't like about ChromaLusion paint...no matter what color combo you go with...at certain angles it turns baby poop brown...LOL!...but it looks cool otherwise...

Just hope you don't wreck it with that beefy front end!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:40 AM
mozzzy_2000

Crikey man thats nasty! I reckon you under estimated the speed you were travelling hey!. I hit my front right suspension head on at about the same speed into a pine log & only one part snapped hey.
Glad you can have a laugh about it now but geez I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. I reckon you wouldn;t have been so "jovial" at the time!
So whats the deal with alloy parts? I would have thought that if the entire rear suspension & wheel caps were in alloy then something like that wouldn;t have been nearly that bad hey? Why would they even make allow hop ups for those parts if it didn;t add strength? Surely if it made things worse they would get constant complaints & people would advise against it. But I have never heard anyone say the alloy parts are worse? It sorta doesn;t make sense to me hey. Mr RedCat what say you on this subject?
I also learnt the hard way about driving towards oneself & driving in limited space. Next time I'm making sure there is NOTHING in the vicinity to crash into hey! well thats the theory anyway.
On a completely different note this is a warning to all Americans that you are going to be subjected to an onslaught of Australian Tourism commercials!! You'll love our accents but I assure you we all don't sound like Steve Irwin! haha
Anyway enjoy..
Matt
Old 03-08-2006, 11:58 AM
trpastor

Hey Mozzy

It's one of the places I have on my "before I die" list. So I won't mind the ads at all. Throw anotha' shrimp on tha barbie!

Hey do you have bearded dragons running around like squirrels there? A few years ago they were like $100 a pop here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.