Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Old 01-14-2006, 09:27 PM
trpastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

This Post is for anyone who owns a Himoto or Redcat Racing BUGGY (preferbly 1/8th scale). They are the same models just different names.

The smartech cars have their own thread have proven to be a very cheap and good car. (servos are bad but no RTR is perfect)

I know many people tell you to "get yourself a real hobby grade RC", but they don't understand that these cars make it easy to get into and not fear ripping these things apart and learning on them. I would not so quickly have torn into mine if I got a $500+ vehicle, and would not have driven it as hard (aka, had as much fun tearing the hell out of).

So Please post your questions, experiences and suggestions/tweaks on this thread so that others can learn or make an educated decision on if this car is a possibility for them.

For those reading this - if you see posts that say "had one - it broke and was a piece of..." just know you can go on any thread for any brand car and see people saying the same things - so take it all with a grain of salt.

NOTE: THERE WAS ANOTHER THREAD THAT WAS STARTED ORIGINALLY FOR BUGGIES, AND GOT TAKEN OVER BY BAD REPORTS OF THE TRUCKS. THE TRUCKS SEEM TO NOT PREFORM WELL BUT THE BUGGIES SEEM TO BE HOLDING UP TO REVIEWS SO FAR.

IF YOU WANT TO POST ABOUT THE TRUCKS PLEASE FOLLOW THIS THREAD [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3705430/anchors_3705430/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3705430]Trucks Thread[/link]. IF YOU SEE SOMEONE POST ABOUT THE TRUCK PLEASE POST THEM TO THE TRUCK THREAD. HOPEFULLY WE CAN SHARE SOME GOOD INFO.

Keywords: Himoto, Redcat Racing, red cat, bazooka, team infinity, torpeda, syclone, tornado, hurricane, nitro buggy 1:8 1:10
Old 01-14-2006, 11:02 PM
trpastor

Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

I am going to start with my experiences so far with them. Also - if you have already posted in the abandoned thread about yours please be sure to restate your experiences with the buggies here if you can.

So far mine has been a pleasure (Himoto 1/8th scale .27 motor FM radio Hurricane I guess or Torpeda). I'm only just done breaking it in after a week becuase I've been busy - but it starts right up and seems VERY solidly built. The FM radio gets really good distance and I like the analog controls because I can quickly turn up the throttle a bit to help with starting, and as soon as it's on cut it back down.

I have a used OFNA that I've had problems with. I'm finally getting it to where it's doing ok, but so far the Himoto has been awsome. Starts on the first pull (if left indoors) where as the OFNA I'm pulling and pulling. The needles are easy BUT BE AWARE... the LSA (LowSpeedAjustment) is usually on the outside side of the motor on the ofna and it looks like it is on the Himoto, but leave that one tightened. On the Himoto the LSA is on the inside of the car where the throttle comes to the engine (on the valve). This is what you want to screw.

I have taken a lot of photos of both to give everyone an idea of what I've found and like of both the Himoto and OFNA.

The Ofna is more used for sure though.

Here's the side by side
Old 01-14-2006, 11:04 PM
trpastor

The OFNA has blue aluminum and yellow wheels

The Himoto has purple aluminum and green wheels
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85539.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	387729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10430.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	387730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20154.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	387731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86476.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	387732  
Old 01-14-2006, 11:07 PM
trpastor

The wheel linkage is similar but not the same. Anyone know which of these is a better system?

Name:	Zx72566.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	387738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40181.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	387739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62643.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	387740  
Old 01-14-2006, 11:08 PM
trpastor

I like the servo box better on the Himoto. Nice and big and single compartment to mess with.

Also a single pin rather than 3

Name:	Yw68595.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	387741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32482.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	387742  
Old 01-14-2006, 11:10 PM
trpastor

The center braces on the Himoto are aluminum while the Ofna is plastic. This is the OFna 9.5 by the way

But the front arms seem to have additional support by a metal rod on the ofna that is not present on the Himoto

Name:	Ge96322.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	387743   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43911.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	387744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl82950.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	387745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39298.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	387746  
Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 PM
trpastor

lastly - the rear arm systems seem very similar overall

Hope these have been helpful to some. If you want a shot of something in particular or comparison let me know and I will try to take a shot for you

Name:	Hf99292.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	387755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82942.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	387756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75577.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	387757  
Old 01-15-2006, 11:16 AM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I am the owner of Redcat Racing. It is great to see some action on these forums regarding Redcat Racing. If you have any issues let me know at [email protected] or you can review our FAQ here. www.redcatracing.com/faq.html

We will review these boards and answer questions as best we can.

Darin
Owner Redcat Racing
Old 01-15-2006, 02:03 PM
ScottHarp

I have worked on my 1/8 buggy all morning fixing some "quirks". Some were self induced.

First I was have radio troubles, not with the RTR unit, my 3PK!! Found out that I was overdriving the servos and it was shutting off, I think some sort of current sense on the Hi-Tech servos I installed. Now that I have that all fixed this car actually goes WHERE I TELL IT!!

I also tore down the rear diff to fix some "notchy-ness" if that is even a word.

Now I am trying to get this thing to take the jumps w/o nosing in. I am just trying to get it done in the "out-of-the-box" form but I fear I may not be able to accomplish this. I think that the rear end is squatting too far and bottoming out causing the front end to pitch down.

What weight oil do you guys run in the shocks? I know it changes with weather and track conditions but what is a good starting point? BTW -- I have no idea what it comes with.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Laughing Potato

I'd like to offer my help to anyone in the UK with this buggy.

Known as the Speed Bazooka of the Kimax Rally X here.

I raced at my club all season with a stock Kimax RallyX and only broke the steering servo. Other bits are now bent and need replacing, but it did last the season. You can now get these for less than £200.00 in the Uk rtr which ain't bad.

I finished 6th out of over 80 buggies and most of them were worth close to £1000.00[8D]

Read all about it here [link=http://rckingdom.co.uk/mam/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=70]season 2005[/link]

Some pictures here http://www.rckingdom.co.uk/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=34

we also have a review of the Cyclone [link=http://rckingdom.co.uk/mam/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=24&Itemid=114](reviews)[/link]
Old 01-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Laughing Potato

Whoops, forgot to add the race video

[link=http://rckingdom.co.uk/mam/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=25]video[/link]

It won't work unless you are a site member though, to help protect bandwidth
Old 01-15-2006, 05:36 PM
weeeman

does anybody know where i can find himoto parts in or near new zealand? I have a bazooka and require a couple of parts for it and it now appears that the himoto parts are compatible with the bazooka parts
Old 01-15-2006, 06:53 PM
trpastor

Hey Laughing potota. Thanks for those links. I think that shows that this buggy may very well be better than most people think. Looking at the photos I posted they are the same thing, no?

PS - I joined on that site to see the video but it still wont' show. Are you sure it's working right?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Laughing Potato

Make sure you are logged in on the main site [link=http://rckingdom.co.uk/mam/index.php]here[/link] and it should work fine

Yes, its the same buggy
Old 01-15-2006, 08:39 PM
trpastor

Hey L.P.

Love the intro music! So are all the videos on that site yours?

As far as the car - have you driven others? How would you compare it to the OFNA 9.5 or Hyper 7? Are they in the same class?

Also - where do you get your replacement parts from?

Oh - one last question - taking jumps mine seems to nosedive. Is there anything I can do about that? I'm wondering if reving while in flight will keep the nose up more or if there's things I can do to balance it.

So far - mine has been very good. I haven't had any problems breaking parts etc and it runs quick. I need to tune it but I'm having trouble feeling it out. When I hit full throttle at the take off it's wanting to die on me like it's too rich. I'm not sure if it's the LS or HS needle. Also - I don't know if I could have one lean and one rich and get this effect.

Anyway - Mine's doing well.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:40 PM
trpastor

OH, I found this site for parts. It looks like they have most but not all. But they are all cheaper than other places I've seen. Not sure what shipping costs though

http://www.rcworldwide.com/prodlist_v2.asp?cat_id=225
Old 01-15-2006, 09:30 PM
SManMTB

Why does it say the parts are for the Kyosho?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Trpastor, if you hit throttle in air, it will help level it just dont keep the throttle pushed when the car lands back down. Or you will have a problem stripping out gears like my son lol... Hit the brakes in the air if your rear is dropping...
Old 01-15-2006, 10:10 PM
trpastor

SManMTB-

I think they are trying to play out the Kyosho similarity. I'm not sure how interchangable they really are, but the parts they have are for the Himoto / Bazooka / Redcat 1/8 buggy

Hey Chubbys - thanks for the advice on that. I will give it a try and be sure to keep from spinning when I hit.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:55 PM
ScottHarp

We just placed another order for 1/8 buggy parts. We should be pretty well stocked for them by weeks end.

trpastor -- I was haveing the EXACT same trouble. I tried putting a ton of preload in the front, ya know make a change , no help. So I though I might be bottoming out on the rear, when coming up a jump the rear of the chassis hitting the ground causing it to pitch. Nope that was not it. It was all me, my driving and the approach to the ramp.

I found, with this car at least in OOTB form, it would fly real nice if I blipped the throttle it would go up and land nice and smooth on the landing side. It does take practice and alot of it. If I had some shock oil, I think I would try putting in 30 or 40wt in the rear and seeing it that helped.

Oh yeah, when I had the front end with tons of preload, the shocks would not compress so it would not take the bumps well. It also pushed like a dump truck.

One thing I am doing is ordering a .21 engine for it. The track I am running the .27 is WAY TOO much!!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:58 PM
ScottHarp

Have any of you guys figured out what this engine, Team Infinity, is compatible with? I am wanting to get some rebuild parts for it. I love to experiment.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Xeller8

I just posted this in our original thread but wanted to stick it here as well....

************************************************** ************************************

WOW!!!...so much has gone on in here since I haven't been around for a few days...how is everybody??

It's absolutely GREAT to see the owner of Redcat posting!....thanks Darin...it's nice to meet you!

Like I stated in my first post my brother has a Redcat dealership (ATV'S and Dirtbikes) out in Washington state and has recently started stocking the nitro's...I was out there for X-mas and I brought a 1/8 Hurricane XP buggy with the 27 motor home with me...

The first thing I did before even trying to start it was to switch out ALL the electronics....I went with the JR digital FM...(Suppose to have a range of up to 2000 feet I'm told)...it came complete with receiver and servos and even comes with an EXTRA receiver!...I bought that and a gallon of fuel (Traxxas Top Fuel 33%)...all for about $235.00 at Hobbytown U.S.A)

I switched out all the electronics today and decided it was time to fire it up and test it....it fired up fairly easily (just a few pulls after priming) and didn't take long to dial it in so it was running quite nicely...it would bog for a momment if I nailed the throttle so I know I have it somewhat rich for now..

Let me tell you....after dinking around with the first tank of fuel I cheated and nailed it a few times..( I know I know!!) and OMG do these things SCREAM!...I can't WAIT until I can run it like that for longer periods of time!

O.K...here is the bad news....does Redcat make aluminum FRONT upper and lower control arms??......LOL!!....YEP!!...you got it!...I CRRRRRRASHED!!....but it's my own stupid fault for running it in the somewhat confined area of the street in front of my house...I went flying down in front of my neighbors driveway...didn't react fast enough and caught the corner of the curb...( I also flipped it and broke one of the wing adjuster mounts...pavement & plastic don't mix!) )...but OMG before I broke the entire left front suspension I was thrilled with the performance!...these things tear up grass like nobodies business and even on clean/ dry pavement at a dead stand still you can crank the wheel one way and nail the throttle and they'll spin a cookie on a dime....surprising considering it's a 4-wheel drive!

OH!!...and yes I too had a wheel nut come off the left front wheel...but luckily I was going pretty slow and turning around so I found it in the street...I checked the others and found 2 to be loose so I definitely recommend checking all wheel nuts and everything that is screwed or bolted before you run the car...

Overall...even though I only got to run a couple of tanks of fuel before I crashed I am very happy with the buggy so far and if I can upgrade the front suspension and steering components to all ALUMINUM I think I will have me one killer buggy for almost half the price of the bigger names!

Glad to see all the feedback....good or bad...lets keep it going!!
Old 01-16-2006, 02:43 AM
Laughing Potato

ORIGINAL: trpastor

Hey L.P.

Love the intro music! So are all the videos on that site yours?

As far as the car - have you driven others? How would you compare it to the OFNA 9.5 or Hyper 7? Are they in the same class?

Also - where do you get your replacement parts from?

Oh - one last question - taking jumps mine seems to nosedive. Is there anything I can do about that? I'm wondering if reving while in flight will keep the nose up more or if there's things I can do to balance it.

So far - mine has been very good. I haven't had any problems breaking parts etc and it runs quick. I need to tune it but I'm having trouble feeling it out. When I hit full throttle at the take off it's wanting to die on me like it's too rich. I'm not sure if it's the LS or HS needle. Also - I don't know if I could have one lean and one rich and get this effect.

Anyway - Mine's doing well.
Yeah they are all mine, it's my site.

I have driven other buggies, and to be honest they have al been easier to drive. This buggy is very light and a little tail happy, but the stock engine could certainly power it One thing that annoys me alot though is that this buggy is always advertised as being able to do 80mph[>:] This is daft, 45mph tops so please alter the details Redcat Racing. It must put people off as it just doesn't hold up, and if they do beleive it, boy will they be upset when they find out it doesn't do 80mph!!!

On the jumps, lift of the throttle just before take off. Then in mid flight blip the throttle. This worked 8/10 times for me.

[link=http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Smart-Logic_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm]these[/link] sell loads of parts, but the postage is a rip off[]
Old 01-16-2006, 05:05 AM
ripprasternode

This is a copy of my post in the other thread, I havn't done any driving over xmas holidays so don't have anything new to add right now. Thanks trpastor for pointing out this thread, very useful.

I will try to find the notes I made for my suspension settings and post them here.

Bazooka has been great for me. I have given it some severe thrashings for about a month and it is still a1. I gave it a complete rebuild before ever starting teh engine, RTR-ready to rebuild. As for ebay style claims like 90mph while jumping a 4 storey building, just use common sence it is just an ordinary buggy.

The only part I have replaced is a front cv which I replaced with eb4 ones.
The engine vertex .21 feels lame to me, but I normally use high end os engines and don't have experience with typical stock motors to compare.
I was impressed to find ball bearings everywhere on the bazooka including brakes and steering.
Front and rear tower braces look crude but have not failed.
Diff cases are plastic but none have failed.
After duplicating suspension settings from my hyper7 it now handles just like the hyper even with the poor tires it came with.
Body paint is very poor and easily chips off in small chunks around the edges.
If you doughnut in the dust, get a better air filter.

I just bought the bazooka out of curiosity on ebay, it has turned out to be a great muck around car. It's strong and reliable, probably not a race winner but one day I'll stick a v-spec in it and take it to the track.

This is a good buggy

Old 01-16-2006, 07:13 AM
zymurgy

Hi, new to the buggry RC world, got a Bazooka for Chrimbo, what a blast, however having problems tuning it only to find the mid range needle is winding itself in when running, no wonder I have been chasing my tail, arrgggh. Anyone help with a fix to stop it winding in, dont have any manufacture settings for the Vertex engine (none came with buggy) any suggestions for a starting position for the mid range needle ?

Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.