Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL" Redcat Lighting VX Thread

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL" Redcat Lighting VX Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 PM
exceedultra2012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE:

bringing this back with a couple questions. what are some good upgrades to really make it more durable and faster. i was thinking about putting the traxxas 3.3 in it has anyone done. also does any one know where to get that trans am body from the second or third page?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Mickstix

Default RE: RE:

I dunno about the 3.3, but for the body, just goto Tower (or one of the other larger online hobby stores) and find the body ya want that's 1/10 - 200mm.. Should be able to find just about any make/style ya want!
Dont know if this is the same on he's got, but this one will fit. HPIPontiacTransAm
Old 03-23-2010, 05:13 PM
exceedultra2012

Default RE:

thanks has anyone used a traxxas 3.3? how much better would it be than the OS .18? would the hpi clutch then work with the traxxas? also with a more powerful engine would the car need other upgrades?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Mickstix

Default RE:

Depending on which OS .18 your comparing it to, it may out perform the TRX 3.3?? The OS .18 TZ in particular.. Also the TRX only comes in a slide carb, so make sure the Lightning can accomodate a slide carb, if it doesnt already.. As for the clutch, Traxxas also uses an odd clutchbell on their nitros.. They're alot thinner (in the clutch/bell area) than most standard clutch bells, so you'll have to use a Traxxas clutch and clutchbell with the TRX engine.. That's about the extint of my knowledge on the 3.3 and OS engines.. Hopefully others who have better info on the performance will chime in as well.. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:53 AM
mazda3guy06

Default RE:

Hey guys, just bought the Lightning VX. Haven;'t broke it in yet, thinking of doing that today. Anybody on here from NC? Would love to get into a club or on a team. I am pretty experienced with the nitro cars, have owned a couple, but been a while. Will let you know progress as it happens. I love opinions as well, so any good ideas are always welcome. Hope to be talking with you guys soon.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 PM
benbishop98
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE:

i am new to the nitro rc world.  i purchased a redcat racing lightning str on ebay and it should be here in a couple days.  how does the body replacement work?  can i buy almost any 1/10 body and make it fit? do most 1/10 cars have the same wheel base? 

Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 PM
benbishop98

Default RE:

so i got lightning.  first nitro car.  all i can say is if you like to work on your car  more than drive it then this is for you!  what a piece of ****.  but i still kinda like it.  going to get either a 4 tec or a hpi rs4 next week, want to try out what is assumed to be quality before i get to frustrated and hang it up and stick to planes.  any suggestions on what is better between the traxxas and hpi? also anyone else have as much "fun" with the lightning as i do?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:38 AM
turbo20valve

Originally Posted by benbishop98
so i got lightning.* first nitro car.* all i can say is if you like to work on your car* more than drive it then this is for you!* what a piece of ****.* but i still kinda like it.* going to get either a 4 tec or a hpi rs4 next week, want to try out what is assumed to be quality before i get to frustrated and hang it up and stick to planes.* any suggestions on what is better between the traxxas and hpi? also anyone else have as much "fun" with the lightning as i do?
I felt the same way after looking at mine since xmas. Got fuel, ran like crap, couldn't tune, i checked it over but somehow AFTER looking at it for 6 months on a shelf I find i'm missing a screw in my exhaust manifold. Did have it running and bumped it into a parked car tire. bam, front suspension is gone.

Well that was a fun 200$ or whatever it cost the girlfriend.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 AM
benbishop98

total junk. if you still want to give the nitro on road a try I suggest a kyosho gt2. just got one and I can't put it down