Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 05:52 PM
CTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest opinion

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and was wondering about your honest opinion of Redcat compared to some other major brands such as Traxxas, HPI, Losi, etc. I already own a nitro rustler but was looking for a second car. I was thinking about the lightning or a buggy. How is the build? Customer service? Part availability/compatabilitly and delivery time. The price is a major factor but don't want to end up spend a ton of money everytime it crashes. I know that if you hit something fast, you are going to break something so I don't want to start a brand bashing thread.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Honest opinion

I will give you my honest opinion even though I am a dealer for them. If your experienced I would go for the hurricaine xp. In my honest opinion it is much better built than the tornado and the volcano. I am not knocking them at all as a matter of fact i have all 3. I just think the diff gears, and everything over all it is a much better buy getting the hurricaine.
thats my 2 cents.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:24 PM
bjc617

my honest opinion... im not sure yet i recieved my car and the transmitter was broken so i had to get that fixed then i couldnt get the car started so i had to bring it to a shop to find out the fuse box and crystals were busted so i am waiting to get it back soon word of advice buying on ebay is a gamble car was stated brand new and yes it was but it has a lot of problems
Old 03-29-2006, 11:50 PM
justin castillo

i think if u are looking for speed a car that can take a hit go for the himoto rapdia .18cxp i got one and i have not hade eney problems apart from tires me and my mate hit one anthor and he had a mugen his tire snapet of and my car was sitting there idoling.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:28 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The jury is still out over here. I do like the car overall , but I'm waiting to get a problem or two taken care of. I know know that mine had an issue with the engine that a noobie would not like or know how to fix. I'm not all that sure this is a good first car , maybe a fun toy for someone with a little experience.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:53 AM
cartronicshn

honest opinion, i'am a dealer but also a customer i've been in the hobby for over 25 years, if you want a cheap entry level car get a redcat, if you want a more expensive entry level car get a name brand car, if you want to compete any of these cars you have to invest in hop up parts, parts on the redcat are cheaper so if you are beginner when you crash it wont be as expensive to fix your car as the more expensive entry level name brand, this cars are cheap but also very fast, thing wil break if you abuse it or crash it hard, granted some bugs in build quality are there but that is what you paid for, in the end, it's a hobby i recomend you try one for yourself[8D]
Old 03-30-2006, 10:17 AM
AJsToyz

Do you know if Redcat will be offering better gears as an upgrade option? Its sounding like blowing gears will be a common problem. I'm think I'd better start a parts inventory ! LOL[X(]
Old 04-03-2006, 12:16 PM
lynza33

is the himoto tyrannasaurus 1:00 1.8 vertex engine 60 mph a good starter truck...i bought one for my boyfriend and it hasn't been recieved yet but i was just wondering if it was a good starter truck for him
Old 04-03-2006, 12:17 PM
lynza33

1:10 i meant to type
Old 04-03-2006, 12:41 PM
bluecaka69

I have a volcanoe and it is the sme as tyranno they are a good starter truck havent had any problens yet
Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
ehroof

same here, the truck is very good, no problems at all here with it.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:31 PM
nitrosteve22

I have the Tornado XP and I love it,havent had any issues with durability and its seen its fair share of cartwheels and front/back flips from improper jumping techniques (my fault) along with smacking a curb head on doing around 15-20 (brakes couldnt stop it fast enough lol),gouged the chassis and front bumper a little but I can live with scratches. It see's a lot of gravel/small rocks and quite occasionally kicks em up in to the chassis and rims which stops a tire quick,that and I bent a dogbone slightly cause of it. Got a full quart through and still on the original clutch spring. Weather sucks (rain/light snow) right now so it doesnt see much action but that'll change in a few weeks hopefully.

I did have a few tuning problems but I think I tracked it down to a leak under the carb which I took care of,now I just need to fine tune it and straighten the dogbone and it'll be good to go. My only complaint is that parts/tires/hop-ups for 1/10th scale buggies seems to be damn hard to find,that and the body crackes easily which are just as hard to find for 1/10th scale buggies (unless you go with another redcat body). It's very very fast though,overall I'm very impressed with what little bit of money got me. Even though I have had those tuning issues the car would still run and run its *** off but overheated very quickly (270F-300F) but hopefully all leaks are gone now. I've had so much fun with it already,the few problems I have encountered werent worth mentioning. The radio is pretty cheap but hasnt failed me yet (and dont use cheap batteries!). Still aiming to add the Hurricane eventually if I can keep my girl outta my pockets...women...
Old 04-03-2006, 06:20 PM
ehroof

your trans shifts good nitrosteve22? i cant get mine to shift correct for nothing.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:32 AM
nitrosteve22

Actually ehroof,thats one thing I forgot to mention. Last time the weather was good enough to run it wouldnt shift but the screw was screwed in pretty tight,later that night I loosened it up a bit but the weather has been off and on raining/light snow so I havent had the chance. Hopefully wednesday I'll be able to take it out to the streets and figure it out. I'll keep ya updated if I figure it out.