Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

roto start/ tiger drive for .18 motor (truck)?

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

roto start/ tiger drive for .18 motor (truck)?

Old 02-18-2006, 11:01 PM
jcam54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roto start/ tiger drive for .18 motor (truck)?

Is there a roto start or tiger drive back plate that will fit the trucks with the .18 motor?
Any info would be great!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:07 AM
mozzzy_2000

Default RE: roto start/ tiger drive for .18 motor (truck)?

Hey,
I've got a Toperda pro, which is basically the same as the redcat hurricane xp, with a .27 infinity engine in it. Not sure about the .18 but after snapping the pull cord twice in 2 weeks, I made the investment of converting it to a roto start. The shop did it easily it in about 30 minutes & its been a dream ever since. Would have made the run-in that much easier.
My LHS also said that the tigerdrives are poorly made with unreliable gears & they advised against it compared to the roto start. Most engines will apparantly convert with the only the Hyper 8 port that can't be converted or that there isn't a backplate for it yet. The only issue with roto starts is that you have to be really careful you don't flood the engine because you'll strip gears with the thing. But having said that its been working a dream for me & I'd highly advise on getting one.
Cheers
Old 02-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I prefer the starter box...
Old 03-01-2006, 04:09 PM
louieg3d

hey is there a roto start for my .16 engine on my tornado xl?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:03 PM
mozzzy_2000

Yeah starter boxes are good but personally I prefer the roto start for several reasons. Its small, light. Fits in your tool box. Heaps cheaper than a starter box and much easier to carry around at the park/track etc. The standard Tamiya style batteries last for ages in this thing too. Also most hobby shops here recommend it over anything else. Its quite diferent to tiger drive apparantly & of much higher quality than the tiger drive setups and much cheaper & less bulky than starter boxes.
Anyway I suppose its a personal preference in the end. But for me to have it start evertime at a flick of a switch is like popping the key in your car & starting it up. Its that simple.

In regards to the .18 engine. I believe Roto start will fit virtually every engine. It all depends if there is a backplate that will fit that particular engine. I had no probs with my infinity .27 & infact they installed it in a bout 30 minutes. You've also probably noticed that engines are coming out with a roto start backplate as an option. That almost tells me that this is the way the industry is going. The only engine I am aware that wont accept the roto start is the Hyper 21 8 port. But having said that I think they do their own roto start. I have also seen detailed instructions for making your own backplate to fit the roto start on the Hyper 21 8 Port. Not sure how reliable that is though. But the best thing is to take it in to your local hobby shop & ask them. Thats what I did. But in any case I'd avoid the tiger drive if you can as my LHS reckons, even though they sell it, that its gears are of very poor quality & you end up with more problems than not.

I suppose in the end anything but the pull start is a luxury. You will get the same performance out of a pull start if used carefully. With me though I have massive arms & large hands & I snapped the cord twice in 2 weeks, even trying to be dam carefull. That on top of some badly blistered fingers & constantly grazed knuckles & sweat pouring off me, forced me to look at the alternatives & I haven't looked back since! An absolute joy.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2006, 11:23 PM
livindead

i have a tiger drive on my genesis and will never buy another one.....cheap plastic tabs with bolt holes on the cover are broke..the gears are half stripped,and the thing is desinged so that the part that ya put the shaft into has to turn to the right...that is opisite the direction of the roto start....not that big a deal if your using a drill..but i wanted to use my roto start unit with the t-drive shaft as not to have to haul yet another piece of equipment in the tool box not to mention batteries to keep up on...i tried to reverse the wires on a couple battery packs but remembering witch was witch was another pain i dont want to worry about...ill stick with the roto start