Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

please help

Old 03-02-2006, 05:25 PM
bjc617

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

can someone help me i just got a lightning today and i tried for 3 hours to starts this thing up it is different then my other one which in this case on the fuel tank has a spring to push in to make the gas go to the carborator and i read in the manual it says take the air filter off and open the throttle and drop 2 to 3 drops of ful into it and put it in nuetral did that but i think it clogged it so i put my fingertip over the exhaust and tugged and got the fuel line pumping now the idle screw was tight so i loosened it a little bit i think this might have messed up the whole car? cause i got the car started once with the air filter off and once with it on what do you thin is wrong with it guys? oh yea and the transmitter i got with it was trash didnt work i have to take the crystal out and put it in my other one the car isnt even broken in yet i think i might take is to a hoppy shop and see if they can do something with it
Old 03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: please help

Sounds like now you have to much fuel in the motor. Take out plug, tip upside down or pull a few times to get it out. Adjust your carb opening to 1/16th-1/8th. Make sure your trim adjustments are in the middle. Go from there.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:31 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you flooded it out, take out the glow plug, tug a few times to get the excess gas out, make sure the plug has a good glow to it, put it on the ignitor before you put it back in. i would leave the air filter off until you tune it a little, make sure the throttle it open a little, 1mm approx. try to start again. i put my finger over the carb until i saw the gas come to the carb. also i would buy a fuel filter with a pump on it.

good luck
Old 03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Chubbysdad

NOt a good idea to run the car with out the air filter even if it is sitting still...
Old 03-02-2006, 05:33 PM
bjc617

ok so i am going to try this ina few now if i screw the idle needle all the way down how many turns do i have to turn it to make it as a normal idle?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Chubbysdad

Look at the opening in the carb while you turn it. Make a turn, then pull throttle and release , and check. Then repeat until you get the proper opening.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:40 PM
bjc617

so should i adjust the screw so when i have the air filter off its even when i open the throttle?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:58 PM
ehroof

You shouldnt run it without the air filter, but how do you get to the screws, especially the idle screw with the air filter on?? I tune my motor running without the air filter, then i try to drive a little with the filter on, take off tune a little more if needed, put back on drive etc. until good.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:00 PM
ehroof

you should adjust the idle screw so there is a 1mm opening when you are neutral (not touching remote throttle).
Old 03-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Xeller8

bjc617....you want to screw the idle speed screw OUT to close the gap in your carb...not IN....in will open it up more....set it to about a 1/16 or even a little less and see what happens.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:23 PM
bjc617

thanks for all the info guys i hope this works cause this isnt reallie a matter to get it fixed im just a little nervouse cause the car isnt even broken in yet hos fast does the lightning go soes anyone know? i had a smartech commando 1 speed thing was so slow like 15 mph then i relized after hitting it into a curb and the electrics just stopped working that i had to adjust the needle
Old 03-02-2006, 06:42 PM
bjc617

thanks for everything guys i adjust the screw so it was 1mm and i got it started twice in the stairway not a good idea lol idle seems a little high but im going to bring it out somewhere to break it in ill let you guys know what happened thanks
Old 03-02-2006, 07:29 PM
bjc617

brought the car out and it started then it like bogged down and then it stalled out try to get it started again for like 25 minutes couldnt get it started i have come to the conclusion that i have been trying to get this car running from 10 am to 3 pm then from 4 to like 6 so i am going to charge a new glow plug and see what happens cause this getting reallie annoying lkike it started fine twice in the stairway couldnt even get the car to stall and when i bring it outside it starts once then it bogged down the second i took my hand of the brake bought to give it some gas what do you guys think problem with the idle still now how do you get a good idle have the screw tighted all the way in or out
Old 03-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Xeller8

NO!!....set that idle speed screw (the one under the air cleaner) so the gap in the carb is at about a 1/16th or less with all the electronics ON (with the servo's set in their neutral positions)and leave it alone for now...

Start from scratch to break it in....there is ALREADY a thread about tuning help...go there and follow my instructions there...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3965371/tm.htm

Then once you get it running...go to this link and follow this break-in procedure..

http://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php

The biggest thing about breaking in and tuning these motors is PATIENCE...don't get frustrated and just start cranking on screws and you can't just fire these cars up and start ripping around...you have to break it in properly first....take your time and do it right or you are just going to end up with a pile of crap.