Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Help me get big tires for a volcano

Old 03-11-2006, 02:16 PM
cartronicshn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Help me get big tires for a volcano

Any really big wheels and tires that will fit this truck? any other mods necessary to make it a monster?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Connormon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Help me get big tires for a volcano

only thing about big wheels is 1) Your car wont go as fast) and 2) It can eat at your engine because it takes more power to turn em.

But besides this they own.

I dont have any tires sorry
Old 03-13-2006, 12:28 PM
cartronicshn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

bump, any other brand truck wheels that'll fit?
Old 03-13-2006, 01:56 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the truck will actually go faster, just wont be as quick off the line, not to mention stress on the engine, gears etc. from what i can see they have the same rims as traxxas so i would think traxxas rims would work.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:24 PM
cartronicshn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i knnow the dinamic part of the bigger wheel/tire trade off, i need to know for sure if certain wheels will fit my truck just for the looks part
Old 03-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Xeller8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You just need to make sure they use the 12mm wheel mounts and you should be able to find quite a few that will fit.

The Traxxas T-maxx wheels I got for my Hurricane were 17mm.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:29 PM
cartronicshn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks xeller, maybe a few suggestions for 6-7" tire/wheel combo, also a link were to buy would be great
Old 03-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Xeller8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WHOA....6 or 7 inch??....I don't know that I would be putting that big of a tire on the Volcano if you leave everything else stock (gears...clutch etc) I wouldn't recommend going much bigger than whats on it now or you are going to be opening up a big can of worms...there are already probs with clutch springs and gears stripping and melting on these trucks...simply slapping huge tires on the truck and creating that much extra load will just amplify the problems and cause some serious headaches I'm afraid..

Even on my 1/8 Hurricane...putting the T-maxx wheels and tires on (they are 5 1/2x3)..has caused some issues and my buggy has all metal gears and a heavier duty 3 shoe clutch...I have melted the clutch shoes down quite a bit..(it was slipping pretty bad)...even though the clutch still works fine with my stock wheels and tires on (just engages later now which I actually LIKE)....I also need to gear it down a bit...I have taken them off for now until I can gear down and get heavier clutch shoes and springs...

So...unless you can find a better clutch and lower gears..(METAL GEARS) I would advise against going much bigger than stock right now...I'd also go with aluminum hubs and c-hubs as you will be putting a LOT of extra stress on them with the big tires...especially the front ones (steering arms) which is a weak point as it is.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:42 PM
cartronicshn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok, any ideas on where to get these parts? or maybe interchangeable with other brands? help i want my truck to look down on the competiton
Old 03-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Xeller8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeeperscreapers found some aluminum front hubs (steering arms) and hub mounts (door type mounts as called in Redcats parts list..lol) that worked on his truck...he didn't post the part numbers so maybe you can P.M him for them or maybe he'll read this and post them...

He said they were from the HPI mt2...but there is also a CEN mt2...not sure if they are the same or not so exact part numbers would help tremendously..

As far as metal gears go....not sure about that as I haven't had any probs with MY Volcano yet so I haven't done any research into that...maybe someone else has and will post...but I'm sure there HAS to be SOMETHING out there that will work...

I know Redcat has come up with some aluminum upgrades for the truck that are suppose to be available by the end of the month...they have them listed but I don't see the parts I mentioned above on the list but I'm sure they are working on those as well since they are by far the weakest links in these trucks.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:32 PM
jeeperscreapers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The hubs and mounts for the HPI MT2 is what I used on mine.... Theyre made by MTG.... dont know a part #.... just search ebay for hpi mt2 and get the ones made by MTG... only thing is the outside bearings are a little small but they work... I got some replacements for $3 off ebay as well..... ALSO the biggest problem with them is the screws for the turnbuckles are a tad big... So you can either just force them in..... OR buy the ball head that goes on the shocks and just bore the hole out a tad with needles nose pliars or something and run a screw threw it into the nut on the ball head..... it's a lot of words but its really a very very easy mod. pm me if you need ne more info !
Old 03-19-2006, 10:35 PM
taven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The aluminum ones are from team gpm racing products alloy front knuckes P# NMT2021 and the C-hubs are P# NMT2020B at www.asiatees.com
Old 03-20-2006, 06:33 PM
cartronicshn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So i went ahead and got some wheels/tires for my truck, i got the Hot Bodies 7.7" Chopper Wheels with Fireball Tires, hopefully they will fit i should be getting them somtime next week, i'll keep you posted and will have pictures for you guys, thanks for the help, any other advice you have is welcomed[8D]
Old 03-20-2006, 06:43 PM
jeeperscreapers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think those big tires are gonna look bad ***...... BUT i think theyre gonna destroy your transmision parts
Old 03-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Xeller8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

7.7"??....WOW!

Yer gonna burn up your clutch and strip your gears bubba...but at least it'll LOOK cool while you are doing it...lol!

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2006, 03:58 PM
cartronicshn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so i finally received my wheels/tires[X(], they are just massive, hex fits right but i need longer front and rear lower arms[:@], didn't think of that one, need help i really want to install these on my truck, also need body mount extensions any ideas?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:56 PM
jcam54

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to not have caught you sooner, but didn't you read my post in truck thread?

I could have saved you alot of $!!!!!!!!

with all of the parts we have found in this forum thread you can not run larger tires of that size with out having clearing issues.

the search prompt at top of page works wonders.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:16 AM
cartronicshn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks, but at this point all i need is help in getting these parts for my truck, maybe you could help? i need the longer arms and dogbones for this application, maybe aluminum that will fit this truck, i was told that hpi trucks are very similar, but i need to know for sure before i invest in these parts, is not like i can go to my nearest hobby shop and try them on, i'am in Honduras so please help!!

Search this Thread