Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Ezrun S10 RTR cooling fan won't start when switched

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Ezrun S10 RTR cooling fan won't start when switched

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Electricblue73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ezrun S10 RTR cooling fan won't start when switched

I just bought a new volcano EPXPro off ebay. It came stock. When I ran it for the first time, I noticed the cooling fan (the one sitting on top of the heatsink) went on the second I switched the ESC On. Now after about the fifth time, after I had a run the ESC was still on and I pulled off the body cover and I noticed that the cooling fan sitting on top of the Esc wasn't working.
After recharging the battery, I tried to turn the ESC on again but the fan didn't work, then I tried to move the fan with my finger and then it started to work. I turned it off, waited for 2 seconds, turned it on again but it wouldn't work at startup like before, but it will work when I give the fan a "push" with the flip of my finger. I tried blowing compressed air through the cooling fan assembly to make sure nothing was obstructing it from rotating, but everytime I turn it on it doesn't work, I always have to use my finger to give it a push to get it going.

Is this normal? I'm a newbie and don't know how these fans are really supposed to work.
Should they always be "on" the second you switch the ESC on? or is it temperature sensitive and will only kick on when it reaches a certain temperature?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Ezrun S10 RTR cooling fan won't start when switched

either the fan is bad, or the fan's case is rubbing up agianst it(this can happen if the case is held on by zip ties too tightly)
you didnt buy chance use a 3s lipo did you? i know that some of the ezrun fans can only work with a nimh pack or a 2s lipo(3s lipo is too much voltage for the fan and kills it, i know, cause i did that to one)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Electricblue73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

either the fan is bad, or the fan's case is rubbing up agianst it(this can happen if the case is held on by zip ties too tightly)
you didnt buy chance use a 3s lipo did you? i know that some of the ezrun fans can only work with a nimh pack or a 2s lipo(3s lipo is too much voltage for the fan and kills it, i know, cause i did that to one)
No I am using the stock Nimh battery pack it came with. I don't think the fan casing is rubbing with the fan because when I give it a little push with my finger, the fan functions normally and I don't hear any noise indicating that it is hitting or rubbing against the casing.

I actually had another run today, made sure the fan was working before I ran it, and it stayed on the whole time. Was still running when I took the body off. So it just doesn't start up on its own without that little finger push. Maybe there is some sand caught where the spindle is, enough to prevent it from rotating when I switch the esc on?

Old 01-02-2011, 06:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its possible. these fan's motors have hi-speed, but low torque. most of my fans speed up slowly after they are turned on, until they reach their top speed.