Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PLEASE Help I am still having trouble tuning

Ok, I have a tornado xp and for some reason still, I can not seem to keep the damn thing from trying to run off on me when I get it started. Also, when I start it, if I apply the break, the engine cuts off. I was told something about taking the top of the servo off and re-seating it but I need some information on exactly what do to. can someone PLEASE help?

Thanks
    Shawn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: PLEASE Help I am still having trouble tuning

Did you read the tuning help thread and go through all the steps and also made sure your servos are centered in their neutral position with everything on?....also make sure your throttle trim isn't cranked up..

If it's stalling when you put on the brake it's obviously something with the controller or servo settings...you really shouldn't have to take the servo horn off....they are usually centered from factory.
    1/8 Redcat Hurricane XP Buggy/.27 motor (4.43cc)/tuned exhaust
    1/10 Redcat Volcano STX truck/.18 motor (3.0cc)/tuned exhaust

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some basic terms
    neutral-center trim on transmitter(small wheels usually say th. trim or st. trim) and no throttle or steering touched on transmitter
    rich - more fuel (counterclockwise) loosen
    lean - less fuel (clockwise) tighten

1. Make sure your transmitter and car are turned on. Make sure the throttle trim is also neutral(center)
    2. remove the air cleaner, look down the throught of the carb and you should see a 1/16 opening, if bigger turn the small idle screw counterclockwise if smaller turn it clockwise. start and check the idle, if still too high turn screw counterclockwise.
    3. Make sure the low setting screw (side of carburator) is basically flush with the carb itself.
    4. Close (clockwise) the high end screw until you cant turn anymore(easy) then open(counter clockwise) 2 1/2 full turns.
    These settings should get you started.
    Once started you can lean(turn clockwise, add less fuel) the carb if it just wont see to run but make sure you dont lean it too much since this is where the engine gets it lubrication from.
    Once you get the car running decent, see how it takes off from a dead start, seem a little hessatant? not too snappy? While running pinch the fuel line, the car should run for a few seconds and stall, if the idle of the car raises a decent amount then the low end setting is too rich, lean it(clockwise) and 1/8 of a turn, start it, let it run and try the pinch test again.

You should always see a streak of blue smoke coming from the exhaust of the car.
    Always change your glow plug after break in or if you find it hard to tune the car.
    Always run the car for at least 30 seconds after each carb adjustment, including idle (the low end may be to rich and you will need to run it to get the excess fuel out of the engine)
    only adjust in 1/8 turns, these nitro engines are very sensative.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually ehroof....you have the needles backwards...

The high speed needle should be flush with the collar it sits in and the low speed needle should be turned out from bottom 2-2 1/2 turns to start with...

No offense intended...I just would hate to see him try to run the motor way too lean if he gets it started.[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry xeller8,

If you read any good rc engine tuning thread or real owners manual (not the redcat one) you will see they all say that the high end needle should be between 2-3 turns out (2 1/2). Depending on the carb the usual starting point it even with the edge on the low end. My HPI owners manual says it, Keyosho says it, Traxxas Says it, My local hobby shop mechanic said it, and after 20 some years of doing engine tuning i say so too. I am no to sure how long your doing this but i am sorry to say your wrong on this one. Take a look at your high end needle and see where it is, if you go even with the collar you'll be about 5-6 turns out. Just so you know the high end it the one on the side where the fuel comes in usually and inch or so tall, the low end is usually on the throttle side of the carb. Sorry if this sounds sarcastic but i really think your wrong about this one. check it out.

eddie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

quote from rchobby.org

Engine manufacturers often include base-line settings for the mixture needles, so it’s wise to start with these. If this information is not provided, then you must arrive at needle settings that will get the engine started. A universal starting point is usually about 1 turn open (counterclockwise) on the low-speed needle and somewhere in the 2- to 3-turn range on the high-speed needle. This varies among engines, but it gets you started running, and then you can make the necessary corrections. After the initial startup, follow the proper break-in procedure, then worry about performance tuning!

The proper sequence for adjusting the mixture needles is hotly debated. When you start to fine-tune the engine, it’s generally best to start with the high-speed needle, then set the low-speed. First, however, get your engine running, and keep it running before you worry about race tuning.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

another quote:

Step 2: High-Speed mixture setting

The high mixture screw controls how much fuel enters the engine during mid and high-speed operation. Turn the high-speed mixture screw clockwise, by hand until it stops. Now unscrew the screw counter-clockwise 3 1/2 full turns out

Step 3: Setting the idle speed
    The idle screw is just a carburetor barrel stop. It just stops the carburetor from closing too far. Looking at the throttle opening on the carburetor, the opening should be between 1-1 ?millimeters at the widest point in the opening. The idle speed will increase the wider the opening is. The idle may need further adjusting once the engine is up to running temperature. *When you tighten the idle screw open the carburetor a little to take the pressure of the idle screw. Not doing so could snap the tip of the screw off.

Step 4: Low-speed mixture setting
    This adjustment screw controls the mixture at low speeds. The low-end screw is located on the side of the carburetor in the center of the throttle arm. Adjust this screw so the top of the screw head is flush with the throttle arm.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just goto google and type in starting settings for nitro car.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shawn you should also check the throttle linkage, there are lock collars and springs on it. Make sure then you open the throttle(pull the trigger) that the carb is totally open and when at neutral open to the idle setting. Make sure that when you put the brake on (push the trigger) that the carb opening doesnt close more than your idle setting. if this happens you will have to move the lock collars to adjust the linkage. first get your car to idle and not move foreward on the neutral setting before you fool with the linkage, sometimes you can just adjust the trim on the throttle to make it work better too, only if it is a small amount.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well...I've done quite a bit of reading..asking questions and tuning also and like you said...it all varies depending on motors...thats just how I've had mine set for starters and tuned from there and they run GREAT...and yeah I DO know where the high speed and low speed needles are..

My High speed needle on my buggy is at about 3 1/2 turns out when flush with the edge of the collar...and yes...carbs vary so some could be as much as 5..

Either way...theres lots of info out there for different settings...I've just been posting what works for myself and has worked well for others...BTW...your FIRST post about this would have been sufficient to make your point...LOL!.

And trust me...I'm a "googleholic" when it comes to all kinds of stuff.[8D]