Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

i dont know how to start it

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:29 AM
danegoodwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i dont know how to start it

guys i just got my first nitro in today and can not make it start. what the freak do i need to do. i put gas in the tank and charged the ingniter. how do i make fuel get up into the line? and please dont send me a link i want person experience form someones mouth on how to start this car. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! really tired of pulling that cord over and over.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 AM
danegoodwin

Default RE: i dont know how to start it

o and do ineed to adjust anything or is it ready to go. like idle screws and mixtures screws, anything??? do i have to touch them at all for the fiirst time i start it. i really have NONONONO idea whta im doing.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:38 AM
danegoodwin

and to i leave the igniter on there????????
Old 03-21-2006, 09:11 AM
jeeperscreapers

since you say you want word of mouth!!!!! just suck the fuel through the line...... lol actually dont!!!! wouldnt taste good...... if you put your finger over the tip of the exhaust and pull the cord it willl pump fuel to the carb..... be careful or you willl flood it.... if it gets to hard to pull then its flooded and just take your glow plug out , flip the car over, and pull the cord to flush the extra fuel out...... the factory settings shoudl be fine for break in..... after break in then you can start fine tuning it for performance.!!! hope that helps!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Connormon

once the car is started take out your ignitor
Old 03-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Connormon

Dont worry about any screws yet. But after you do run 6-8 tanks in the car. You can adjust those settings. When adjusting the idle screw and the Fuel Mixture needle.(forgot the reall term for it) only adjust them about 1/8-1/4 of a turn. Then drive the car for about 30 seconds..you should hear or feel the difference after each turn. Whatever you do do not make large turns and expect a result right away. The car needs to get used to the settings you just put on it.

When starting be sure not to pull the starter cord to far. You want short quick pulls.

Keep us posted with how its going and any additional questions.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Xeller8

Danegoodwin...

First off welcome to the world of Nitros![8D]

To prime your engine the easiest way is to take the pressure line off the outlet on your muffler and blow into it until you see the fuel travel through the line to the carburator...it's the line that leads from the muffleer to the fuel tank...make sure your fuel lid is snapped tightly shut too...I prefer this method of priming as it is not the best on your motor to turn it over a lot without the lubrication from the fuel....ESPECIALLY when it is brand new and hasn't been broken in...

Now I know you said you didn't want links but you are going to get them anyways...LOL!

The reason being is we have been through this for many many people and it is easier to steer people towards what has already been said rather than to type the same stuff over and over in several different threads...so here you go...read through this thread for your start up settings as you can't ALWAYS rely on them being set properly from factory...especially when you factor in differing weather conditions..(temp..humidity...etc..and even elevation) then once you are done with break-in then you can start to fine tune...

Also I have found if you leave the ignitor on for about 30 seconds or so after it starts that helps quite a bit...

The BIGGEST and single most important factor when dealing with break-in and tuning of these engines is PATIENCE...we cannot stress that enough....resist the tempation to start rippin on it until you are done with break-in. [8D]

Start up settings... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3965371/tm.htm

Follow this break-in procedure... http://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php
Old 03-21-2006, 01:56 PM
thecool1

i always see people saying to blow on the fuel lines to prime the engine. why dont you just take the air filter out and drop a drop or two of fuel into the carb. thats what i do and it works great. and you dont have to drink any fuel.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:09 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even better, ofna makes a fuel filter (that these cars dont have and you should get one) with a primer bulb built into it, a couple of pumps, fuel in the carb and start it up, better than blowing on fuel lines and dropping fuel onto the car while priming with the fuel bulb.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Xeller8

You can do that too...but it still takes a bit for the fuel to work it's through the line even if you drop fuel in the carb to prime...but it works...

Blowing in the pressure line won't get any fuel in your mouth.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:13 PM
jeeperscreapers

BUT it's all good xeller drinks nitro fuel in his spare time neways !!! [:-]
Old 03-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Xeller8

HUSH PUPPY!!
Old 03-21-2006, 04:06 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest that you make sure the high end is out 3 1/2 turns and the low end is out flush with the collar to make sure its rich enought. The factory may not have set the carburator correct and you will have a problem with the motor. also make sure the idle is high enough to keep it running but not high enough to make the wheels spin. Run 2-3 tanks with the car off the ground and idleing. run it around of the 4th tank to 1/2 throttle and start to lean it out a little at a time on the high end. THis is when you should ask for help or read a tuning thread.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Connormon

ive had my fair share of nitro fuel...its got a certain flavor to it..but anyway sucking on the line isnt bad...long as your not mental. Just suck it up about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch from your mouth and insert it back on the thingy.