Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TRUE RADAR SPEEDS

ok guys here it is, this was taken using a bushnell radar gun. i tried it out on the three cars i have with me, it was also on pavement, straight run. engine not leaned out to the point of overheating, running about 260.

volcano stx: 31mph

tornado xp: 41mph

traxxas jato: 54mph

I ripped the gears out of the tornado for no apparent reason, everything looks fine, i really hate this car and wish i never got it, had to switch radio with the volcano just to do this since the radio keeps twitching on the throttle. The volcano is a great truck and have had no problems with it at all. Had to fool with the trans to make it shift correctly for hours adjusting the shift time. Gonna write redcat about the transmitter, see if they send me a new one. also the clutch spring has to be replaced on the tornado along with the pullstarted whick i changed to the hpi rotostart. the volcano is still original, just add gas and pull the started a couple of times.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: TRUE RADAR SPEEDS

i can say that my volcano goes faster than 31mph.... i know it doesn't go 60mph like advertised but i'm content with that(for now lol). at 3/4 throttle i'm going 40mph+, the only reason i know that is because my Kyosho tops at 30mph and i run that at full throttle non stop. i tell the speed difference when i run my volcano.
    1/10 Kyosho Baja Beetle
    1/10 Volcano STX-Futaba 2PH

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry bro but the radar gun doesnt lie, the gun records the highest speed and it was consistently 31mph. i did about 5 or 6 high speed passes on level ground. its only a single speed, maybe if i leaned it out it could have went a couple of mph faster but not 40+mph. 31mph is nothing to sneeze at for a single speed nitro car with a .18 motor and 4x4. the Jato which is only 2 wheel drive and is known for being very fast only hit 54mph and it got a 2.5r engine and a 2 speed transmission. i was suprised that it did that, but it did it only once, the other times were like 51mph and 53mph. i was also suprised about the tornado xp. 41mph every run before the gear stripped. i will do the hpi rs4 3evo and the kyosho f2-05 when i get home during the week, would like to know what they do. by the way my redcats are stock so maybe with a tuned pipe, gears etc. the speed could be more. Anyone have problems with their tornado? xl or xp?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with ehroof here,31 sounds pretty good for a monster truck with a single speed. I'm pretty happy about that 41mph for the Tornado (cant wait till I can get mine there). And I havent had any problems with my Tornado aside from a few tuning issues I caused. That and the throttle servo keeps buggin out on me but other than that,I love it! But then again I havent really put it through its paces aside from some hard core cartwheel action last night but came away with only scratches. Got a good run from one side of my next door parking lot and 1/2 way through the right side hit a small rock hella fast and sent the XP up on two wheels and then went in to cartwheels (about six or seven) and then landed on the top (no body) and skidded a couple feet. These things are FAST! Cant wait to order the Hurricane XP [8D] .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i'm not arguing with your gun speeds.... but when i compare my Kyosho(30mph top speed) and my Redcat, there is no comparing them..... my volcano blows it away... like i said in my other post, i know it doesn't do 60mph.... i'd say between 40-45.... that is a killer speed for a single speed nitro your right and i'm kinda happy it doesn't go 60.... i would have totaled it by now!!! lol i want to clock mine(both kyosho and redcat) just to see for myself, but it just seems faster than 31mph.

quick question about your radar...... did you have to calibrate it before you used it? and if so what kind of calibration did you have to do? i'm not trying to talk down to you or anything i'm just curious. thanks
    1/10 Kyosho Baja Beetle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey guys, no calibration on the gun, just point and pull the trigger, if you keep the trigger pulled in it will read the speed in increments then when you let go tell you the highest from the time you pulled the trigger until you let go. i did several passes and 31 was the highest and pretty consistent to. The instruction said it was accurate to + or - 1mph. Its made by bushnell so check out the site if you want more information on it. As far as the speeds i measured, i do know how to tune a nitro engine and i like to run them a little rich but the volcano was screaming when it was coming twards radar and yes it was a straight run not on an angle so it was a true reading, did it coming twards the gun and going away also. i was actually suprised by the tornado xp at 41mph. All cars were tested the same way. As far as 45 for a single speed 4wd truck, i really dont think so but maybe you have the special edition or something. (lol)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how about calibration of the car, i mean adjustment of the carb mixture neeedles?
    VOLCANO ALUMINUM STX, LIGHTNING VX, TORNADO XP, HURRICANE XL, SMARTECH MEGA, TAMIYA BLACKFOOT, XP PRO, 3 CRAWLERS, WAITING...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think ehroof knows what he is doing ...just check out his garage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr51843.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	434554  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[X(] .... Nice .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nice garage ehroof!! i know bushnell makes good products, i use alot of bushnell stuff for hunting. it's odd that you wouldn't have to calibrate the radar gun though... usually you use a chime type thing... still, 31 mph is still pretty fast and as for the buggy going 41mph that's awesome. oh and by the way thanks for for the Jato speed.... i am thinking about getting one next tax time. debating on between a Jato and Revo.
    1/10 Kyosho Baja Beetle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i wish i got the revo, very unhappy with the jato, yes its fast as hell and pulls the front end up when taking off and when shifting the gears but it handles terrible when off road, no control, flips all the time, and wears tires down fast, its kinda good onroad. i re-read the instructions on the gun and there is no mention of calibration, just point and shoot. just says to make sure your in line with target not at an angle. As far as the carb setting, i could have leaned it out a little but like to run a little rich, the engines were still screaming at high rpm's, i could have tuned a couple of mph more maybe but didnt want to beat my engines up too much. Next i will try the onroad cars i have, these are tuned and should hit around 60-65 easily.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah im lookin at a Revo or Savage X..Sick of my HiMoto Eldorada.
    1/10th HiMoto Eldorada

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The revo is a nice truck, i am still impressed with my volcano truck though. Get the revo with the 3.3.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nitrosteve, i had the same problem with my tornados throttle servo, it would twitch, then not brake only go foreward, then it just stopped working completely. i need a new transmitter, i am going to write redcat now, i dont think i have had the car over 30 days and i ran a total of 6 tanks thru it including breakin.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for the info on the revo and jato.... my wife liked the revo too when i showed it to her but freaked about the price lmao
    1/10 Kyosho Baja Beetle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah i think im goin with the revo, but they are pricy! even on ebay
    1/10th HiMoto Eldorada