Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:55 PM
harddrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance

i was just wondering if some of you experienced r/c ers could give me a list of periodic maintenance points for my volcano. i.e. can bearings be oiled/greased or are they sealed, do the diffs need to be oiled/greased or opened and cleaned, and what types of lubricants to use. anything that prolongs the wear of gears, bearings, ujoints ect. i can be kinda obsessive about preventative maintenance (thats the military for ya) anyway it would be helpful to know the "service points" for my first nitro r/c.

Shawn
Old 04-06-2006, 10:24 PM
j-boy

Default RE: Maintenance

welcome! Congratulations on your OCD (obsesive compulsive disorder). Thats what the guys at work call me. Just cause I wouldnt give a guy a yellow wire nut out of my pocket. The ones he was usin were orange for gosh sakes! You cant wire something up with 5 orange wire nuts and 1 yellow one, you just cant! Anyhoo to answer your question the points I allways touch on are to clean my buggy thoroughly. Straighten anything metal on a pretty regular basis. And I mean anything metal, dogbones, and shock towers are the ones that give me the most trouble. The shock towers are mostly just an annoyance but bent drive shafts (dogbones, There are six of them on my syclone) can cause binding in the drive train which transfers to the engine and cant possibly be good for it. If you tap them out on a hard surface with a hammer its a lot easier than trying to bend them with pliers. You can tell when your shock towers need straightened cause the holes for your body posts wont want to line up. I run the stock shocks and ive pretty much given up on them holding the oil inside for very long. I just fill them up when they get low and try to remember to tighten the caps after a good bash. I do a lot of fastener or "screw" tightening. Lots of folks tell you to use locktight on metal to metal fasteners but I have to have my buggy in pieces so much that I can hardly see the point. My lid is getting pretty rough but I still like to pull it off and dish soap it pretty regularly sos its shiny as I can get it. I try and remember to check the voltage coming out of my reciever batterys while Im running to prevent rtunaways but I have a fail safe for that so its kind of silly but I like playing with my multimeter too! I like too check my fuel filter a lot and one of these days I just know theres gonna be something to clean out of it. I know thers more but thats about all I can think of at the moment. Sorry for the long post but its raining so I been on here writin books all evening Post u later

OH yeah get some oil filter oil. Its real sticky and I thought I could use a substitute but once I got some I realized that this stuff is different from any of the roughly 8 bazillion kinds of oil I have in my shed. It really catches a lot of dirt. So much so that you'll have to wash your filters a lot with hot soapy water but its better than running a dirty engine. Just make sure the filter is completely dry before putting it back on your engine. Also the best piece of advice I can offer is to get the "Ultimate Nitro Engine Guide". I would have a lot less hair right now if not for this book.

I put 3 in 1 oil in my bearings and regular old grease in my diffs but others will tell you that hobby grade lubes are better.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:32 PM
harddrive

thanks man, i appreciate your time and advice...btw can i borrow a wire nut [8D]

later,

Shawn
Old 04-12-2006, 07:22 PM
blackdogafd

hey guy quick question... but well is it when you need to take the diffs apart and regrease them and what grease is used for that??
Old 04-12-2006, 10:01 PM
nitrosteve22

This is the stuff I use blackdog.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29822.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	444338