Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

I'm MAD AS Hell

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:26 PM
shamelessbill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm MAD AS Hell

How come no one told me that adding a header pipe will increase power by more than 30%???

I pulled a header off a OS motor put it on the 1/10 buggy and Jesus Christ it is fast now!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I'm MAD AS Hell

Guess your happy lol. I have added them to the volcano and the heck if I see 30%. Might see a little of course because of the open design. Alot less restrictive thats for sure.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:34 PM
shamelessbill

This is like a 5" "U" shaped pipe off a GP2 (that i blew the engine in), it looks like frankenstien but the difference is huge.
I don't know if it's the length of the header or what but dam...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:48 PM
ehroof

hey bill, adding a header pipe will increase power by more than 30%, please dont be mad. by the way, what happened to your video??
Old 04-11-2006, 08:08 PM
CA_Fun_N_Sun

Ya Bill, tried to DL the vid and never got past the popups n such.
+
Old 04-11-2006, 09:53 PM
blackdogafd

hey bill if ya wanted to you could add this exhaust system to your application, its the one that i'm getting for my syclone! check it out

http://rchub.com/Merchant2/merchant....=timedspecials

you also can add any HPI header pipe for side exhaust and find your own exhaust pipe that you want
Old 04-11-2006, 11:45 PM
toastycodem

hey guys would that pipe that is on blackdogafd post work on my tornado xp if not what kind would fit on my tornado xp.???
Old 04-12-2006, 12:19 AM
nitrosteve22

Oh yeah that pipe would work... I'm thinkin about gettin me one to!
Old 04-12-2006, 06:22 AM
shamelessbill

Ripped from the pages of nitrorc.com

"Tuned Pipes:
So we have some unburnt air/fuel that could be used to generate power and it's going out the exhaust manifold. This is where the tuned pipe comes in. The construction of the tuned pipe works with the pressure pulses coming out of the exhaust port. The pulses resonate inside of the pipe and travel back into the manifold. The pressure pulse actually pushes the air/fuel mixture that escaped out the manifold back into the combustion chamber. This super-charges the combustion chamber and gives the 2-stroke engine its characteristic peak HP. This is the point in which the engine turns ON. You will know that you hit this point because the car will accelerate rapidly when the engine gets on the pipe. You can actually fine-tune when the engine will have this extra burst of power. The speed at which the pressure waves from the pipe synchronizes with the piston, is a function of the length from the belly of the tuned pipe (widest part) to the center of the glow plug. The longer the distance, the faster the engine will come on the pipe. If you want to delay the time when the engine hits the supercharge, then shorten the header and/or pipe. When you replace the stock header/manifold, keep in mind that there is a reason for a pipe's size and geometry. You can use this information to your advantage to strengthen your engine's power band. A bad decision in the exhaust department can actually lower engine performance. "

An extra 5" of pipe makes a BIG difference.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:40 AM
shamelessbill

this is a similar header pipe to the one from the GP2
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCPR9&P=FR

Can I cut off the end, JB weld a copper tube the same diameter and point it straight up instead of running accross the top like it is now?
Will the copper and JB deal OK with the temps?
Old 04-12-2006, 06:44 AM
shamelessbill

ORIGINAL: blackdogafd

hey bill if ya wanted to you could add this exhaust system to your application, its the one that i'm getting for my syclone! check it out

http://rchub.com/Merchant2/merchant....=timedspecials

you also can add any HPI header pipe for side exhaust and find your own exhaust pipe that you want

Blackdogafd,
I don't think the muffler at the end makes a difference as I'm using the original. The length of pipe is the kicker. As i said above I'm going to frankenstien this baby out with a straight up or back exaust and tear it up!
Old 04-12-2006, 09:42 AM
blackdogafd

hey man i was just putting out a suggestion.. and yeah if you "were" to get a tuned pipe it will make a difference, just like adding your header pipe you have mentioned. it will give you some more power and it sound cool too

but just throwing things in the air to you guys!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 01:59 PM
shamelessbill

Suggestions are always welcomed

I'll clock the speed this weekend and hopefully do the "jump" sunday as well.

I have to sober up my camera guy tho