Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

alunimum gear box what th F^&^

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 04:49 PM
bluecaka69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alunimum gear box what th F^&^

it looks like front gear box melted and spun planet gear right out this is crazy any other people with this problem easy fix but wierd to see
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74324.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	444801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52892.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	444802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51927.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	444803  
Old 04-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Popper252

Default RE: alunimum gear box what th F^&^

Wow that's insane, i don't know how somthing like that would happen. Are you just going to have to replace the housing? And not to sound like a smart ass or anything but to get better close up pictures use the macro button on your camera. It's usually the little flower icon. What it does is it makes the camera focus on objects at real close range. I love seeing pictures on thw forums here but sometimes those blurry ones are painful to look at.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:11 PM
bluecaka69

thank for the info smart A@@ LOL i didnt realize they looked so bad but know i know
thank
pretty wierd huh
Old 04-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Popper252

What were you doing when it happened? Just regular driving? Maybe somthing got stuck in there and heated up while things were spinning and melted that portion off? I'd try to take a better look at the pictures but... well you know... [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 04-13-2006, 06:19 PM
bluecaka69

ya i was just driving up and down in my yard just tinkering then all the sudden two wheel drive didnt even make it to second gear so thats what i thought was crazy is i wasnt even pushing the car hard at all
btw i uploaded new pics see if they are better
Old 04-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Popper252

Much better pics, night and day difference. Yeah maybe some of the other guys might know what happened. I mean hell it could have just been some freak thing but who knows. It sucks that you're gonna have to clean off all those gears in the diff. and regrease. Here's just a question to everyone, what's the best kind of grease or lube to use for doing that? Also are the housings pretty well sealed up or should I make it a habit of taking them apart cleaning and repacking them every gallon or so? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:00 PM
jcam54

I would check the condition of gears and bearings inside of the diffs regularly...1/2-1 gallon of fuel.
The stock bearings are not sealed and do collect a lot of junk/dirt/grime.
I got some sealed ones and reinstalled and they have not given up on me yet (unlike the stock ones--see pics several pages back and see how I blew up my stock bearing)