Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!!

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!!

Old 05-15-2006, 04:35 AM
jackkpl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT??

Although it is not the subject of this thread , i have to agree that topspeedtoys is really great for making business. Had no problem, ordered twice to Poland , every question got answered in half an hour time. I cannot imagine how could he be rude. Maybe somebody just got scared of competition...
Old 05-15-2006, 06:21 PM
trevplaig

I didn't brag about banning him, I just wanted to clear it up. I don't see it as bashing or anything of the sort. And I am not advertising on here, I have just said that I am working on upgrades, he came onto my forum and advertised specific parts with prices etc etc. I had complaints from my members because they thought the forum was going to turn into an advertising festival. I don't have a problem with competition, everyone in Australia gets parts overnight from me so there is no competition.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:47 PM
TopSpeedToys

Guys, this is not the subject of this thread.

I appreciate those that made the positive comments.

Trev, thanks for clearing things up. I apoligize if anybody was offended.

For the record, I never posted any prices (I think)
Allot of your customers are asking for upgrade parts and I told them we have them available.
I was only trying to help and this is just business, nothing personal.

I have to say, one moderator from your forum just completely told me off. Called me an a-whole and much more. I never recieved a warning about posting my website or anything. I even asked what his problem was with me, repectfuly, I didn't even retaliate or stoop to his level. Then I just got banned. This is not the way to handle things. We had a similar problem here, all dealers were warned and it stopped, end of story.

It really does not bother me, I don't need enemies (+ Oz is far) and I would like to sell you some aluminum upgrades sometime.

Mark

Old 05-16-2006, 04:22 AM
Noob2Nitro

Ok, Trev, that's cool. But, ... um I know what your Moderater did now, lol.

You get your parts out over night to your custumers, let TST, Redcat and the American suppliers do it here for us.

If you want to ban people of your forums for dumb things, that's your biz. You can post here all day long without the hassele TST got from your guys. I would still like to see screen shots or other proof about the "pages of spam", that he posted.

If you are dishonest here, then you can't be trusted with our money.

These forums are for sharing, NOT, Hey, I banned this guy! Which was your first post. Nice to meet you to, LOL! Nice language by your Admin by the way, LOL!

When you and your peeps drop the tude, come in here and have some fun with us.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:08 AM
TRAMILTON

Im with you guys on this one. The only problem ive had is alot of gear problems and the clutch bell exploding. cant run them long enough to hurt anything else. We need a solution fast, or no one is gonna buy these anymore Ive had compaints from everyone I have sold to even gave warranty to some to make happy but that only last one day and there back. Tom
Tornado xl, xp lightning and volcano
Old 05-16-2006, 08:35 AM
bluecaka69

CANT WE ALLL JUST GET ALONG LOL
Old 05-16-2006, 12:04 PM
nicacus

I agree...

I dont mean to go off topic...
but has anyone heard from redcat about this yet? shouldnt we focus on the original problem?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:48 PM
trevplaig

The positioning of the engine plays a huge part in making the gears last longer, we use a threadlocker called loctite on all engine and engine mount screws to reduce the chance of them coming loose which can cause the engine to move slightly and take a few teeth off. It has been very effective and is basically all you can do without sourcing metal gears and bell.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Hooked

Uuummm Redcat?!?

I was just about to purchase the Volcano...until I came across this thread. Now I'm don't think I will unless a solution is on the horizon. You guys really need to provide an anwser. The RC world isn't as large as one would think.

Did anyone learn anything from Crash's info?

Hooked
Old 05-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Nexous

Well i just bought a lightning and had a little problems breaking it in. since it being my first car and all. but once i had the problem figured and the car running smoothly. i began running tanks at no more than 1/8 throttle. after about 6-8 tanks i took it inside and didnt run it again till the next day. at this time i actually went to the rc track in my town. i fired it up and began running laps to get use to the controls. after about 20 mins of getting pretty good at running laps. and about 20 tanks total. i had never even herd or felt the car shift gears. so i figured by now it had been broken in fine and could handle some speed. i had been leaning it out and adjusting idle while it had moved from tank to tank. i think i had it going pretty good for my first nitro rc. *anywho*.
Once i started to open it up to see it hit second gear. i heard it go to switch and it died going about 25-30MPH.
tried it a second time and it did the same thing. when i started it the third time it just didnt sound right. clank,tink,tink,tink,clank.
i went to give it a little gas and it didnt move. i had stripped the gears and the engine gear set was free floating hit and miss.
im in mid process of obtaining parts to fix it. at this point and time i am still assumeing this is the problem.
hoping on some great people fo help still.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:57 PM
lightningvx

the engine gear set on my lightning freespins also but i took out the moderate gear set since the gears stripped. the differential gear seems intact to engine but the engine gear dosent catch if i spin it either way is that bad? i cant remember if it did that before i took it apart or not
Old 05-29-2006, 12:30 AM
bluecaka69

ORIGINAL: lightningvx

the engine gear set on my lightning freespins also but i took out the moderate gear set since the gears stripped. the differential gear seems intact to engine but the engine gear dosent catch if i spin it either way is that bad? i cant remember if it did that before i took it apart or not
sounds like the one way bearing on bigger gear if it freespins both directions bearing is bad see they are made to allow gear to spin only one way try that out
Old 05-29-2006, 09:26 AM
krazyk000

so has anyone ordered the stuff from the link on the second page?
Old 05-29-2006, 05:32 PM
steve 84444

I have also had problems with the Volcano stx twice the motor gear and the large differentail gear have stripped out. The truck is worthless and I am stuck with it. Redcat said the the gears could only strip by my negligence. I was insulted and I can't return the truck. Credit card company won't help either. I even sent them pictures of the problem. They will not stand behind their product.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:41 PM
steve 84444

Yes I have had problems also redcat said I was negligent I'm stuck with a piece of junk!
Old 05-29-2006, 05:43 PM
steve 84444

Ours only has gone about 100ft that's it!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:48 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear your having problems, my volcano lasted about 20+ tanks before the gear stripped, my tornado stipped several times in a few tanks [], Stripped spur gears are part of the hobby but shouldnt be in the first few tanks. The mesh of the gears is very important, if the engine it too far away or too close or not straight the gears can strip. Besides this gear issue i really have no complaints about them, Redcat replaced my radio gear with no questions. I would go to clearmontmotorsports.com, order a couple of gearsets (8013) i think but check and change them. Make sure the gears are meshed correctly and have some fun, if you not the kind of person who like to tinker with things then no matter what brand or type of vehicle you buy this hobbys not for you, i own 2 redcats along with some hpi's, kyosho's, traxxas's +, planes, boats, cars, trucks, bikes etc and they need constant attention when you use them.

Have fun!!!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 06:44 PM
steve 84444

Thanks ehroof! I will try your suggestion. Until I found this site I thought I was the only one having trouble. Thanks for helping!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:15 PM
ehroof

your welcome, i hope it helps you out, feel free to ask any questions and let me know what happens.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:23 AM
jackkpl

I am happy to announce that i finally got my spur to last a lot longer that it used to. I have done like 8 tanks of fuel and it doesnt wear (teeth still have flat endings like brand new). I made sure to lock bolts that hold engine to small aluminum blocks and now it doesn't move at all. I also straightened my clutch shaft (cause miraculously it bent) and before putting bearings in clutch bell i used some...toilet paper (bearings used to move in the clutch bell but now they are tight ). After all this home patents (wacky as some people say ) i can drive my car without worrying about stripped spur. And what is most interesting i like to take it to the max, so in every place that i drive i make round marks on the ground (max throttle for like a minute ,car spinning damn fast) to state, that i was there . Now the car doesn't lool like crap and i am really happy torturing it.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Nexous

just a question. is the clutch bell held on with anything. (eg.screw) because i stripped my first set of gears and while going to replace them the clutch bell just fell right off while taking out the engine and muffler. i am assuming there is somthing to hold it on rather than the mesh of it with the throttle gears. could somone help.

enclosed picture below. there is no screw holding the clutch bell on. it just slides right off

Old 05-31-2006, 05:50 PM
ehroof

there is supposed to be an allen head screw on it with washers. May explain why your gear stripped.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Popper252

Yeah that sucks nexous. Looks like that screw flew off at some point while you were driving and like ehroof said that's why your gears stripped.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:42 PM
chubbysuncle

There should be a bearing there also. From the clutch shoes out there should be 1 thin washer, bearing, clutchbell, bearing, 2 thin washers, 1 smaller flat washer, 1 lockwasher and Allen screw. Any screw that goes into metal on a Nitro car needs to be locktited into place.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Nexous

ok. after removing angine and taking off clutch bell i had this. each number is the order it would go back on. there was nothing left but this.

so #1 would go on first #2 second #3 third and #4 last.

i thankyou all for the help again. if you were not here i dont think i would be lasting in this hobby long.
I notice that i have an extra thin washer between clutch shoes and first bearing. ?????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.