Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!!

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!!

Old 11-08-2006, 06:02 PM
big_stick_83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT??

ok i don't need a clutch bell quite yet i stripped out the center of that gear how was that not a factory mistake? i was told that the spring and nut weren't tight enough to hold it from slipping.....ok so how am i to know that i have to go through every part before i run it...maybe its not the factorys fault either but idk what i could have done to make that tear out the center of that gear
Old 11-08-2006, 06:11 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

all RC cars require a pre-run check, doesn't matter if it's a $200 redcat or a $1,000 HPI Baja
Old 11-08-2006, 06:14 PM
big_stick_83

ok well its my first nitro car so i'm not tryin to be a ass i just have questions and thanks for all your help i'm sure i'll be back
Old 11-08-2006, 08:04 PM
glk420247

Thats cool hopefully they get something rolling. What makes me so frustrated is these buggies are so dam fun and something so simple like the clutch bell to screw up all the fun really sucks. I am totally honest when I say I like these buggies, I have beat the livin crap out of mine and I have had just a few problems until now with the new bell I put on. So I hope they can figure it out and please just to make us all happy, keep us all informed when you hear something. Maybe they should make a treaded bell like the HPI so you can experiment with different set ups.( just a thought) That would be pretty awesome. Anyway later and thanks Greg
Old 11-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Yes Jakob keep us posted lol.. Like maybe on the dealer forum
Old 11-09-2006, 12:09 PM
gundamjake

Will do.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:46 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eddie,

I see your post is still going and going .... !!! I can honestly say I have not stripped a gear !! Well , I guess if you have no time to run the thing nothing can break ?! The only time I can run this thing is when the kids are taking a knap , but then the dog freaks out and wakes the kids up. Need some ear muffs for my hound.

Andy
Old 11-11-2006, 03:23 PM
ehroof

Hi Andy,

Hows things? I havent ran the redcats in months, too many problems, been racing onraod at floyd bennet field, they have a great track. I fooled around with a torndado xp i have and once it got stuck in second gear the first time it shifted i had enough of it.

Hope all is well,

Eddie
Old 11-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Grits

Maybe a little ridiculous but here goes anyhow. A small chain or belt drive might help alleviate some of the problems in the manufacturing problems, but might also open a set of new problems. I'm not sure if it would help but there's a tought that can be looked at or eliminated that I haven't seen mentioned.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:12 PM
nitro_racer_1
My Feedback: (2)

maybey this setup in replace of the stock one, i dont see why it wouldent work http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/...id=&part_id=97
Old 11-13-2006, 07:34 AM
fugadude

I was just wondering if this problem has been solved. I was lucky enough to get a Himoto Rapida which hasn't had any problems. I just bought a Volcano SV Pro which I am still waiting for to arrive. I just want to know what problems I should expect before I run it so if possible I can get past them. Does anyone have a list of compatible parts for the Volcano and Rapida/Lightning? If you do let me know. I also want to thank Redcat for making a car low priced enough that it invited me back into the RC world. It was low priced enough to make me want to buy one so I could get experience with. If Redcat is interested in making a more high end product I would support them with my dollars. These kinds of companies bring people to the world of RC by making them more available, and it's something we should appreciate.

Manufacturing isn't easy especially when you have to deal with suppliers that fabricate certain parts for you because they have the very expensive machinery to make them that would be a total waste of money or vastly increase the price of manufacturing an RC car if the machinery was bought for the cars alone. Business people have to deal with return on investment starting these companies isn't easy, but one good thing about manufacturing with a responsible management team is the practice of continuous improvement that ensures that these problems don't fester. If they're managing their company propery they should be able to switch suppliers quickly to ensure quality as it's important to have at least 2 qualified backups in any manufacturing scenario.

It would be nice for Redcat to offer clutchbell's etc commonly defective parts at cost to their customers. They should also take the time to let people know that they are going to manufacture under continous improvement. One improvement I can bring up right now for the himoto/Redcat Rapida/Lighting is to not use screws to put the shocks into the A-arms but use bolts. I have lost a shock screw already and it really takes away from the experience to drive and think you're going to lose one or have to modify the car yourself, as that takes time to go shop for bolts, and a lot of us don't have much time.

Thank you!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:25 PM
nitro_racer_1
My Feedback: (2)

i agree with you , and as for compatibe parts, for the rapida anyway cuz thats the only one of the 2 i have, i used some hop up parts from an hpi nitro rs4 2 on my including shocks, wheels, and cf bumper tyedown, iv been told that other hpi rs4 models will interchange to, i know that it was one of hpi's newer ones, but i cant remember which one.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:17 AM
AJsToyz

Eddie,

All's well , just been busy chasing the kids and trying to keep working ! Thats cool , you have some toys that work and a place to run. I think my brother is going to get a Jato. He was a little concerned about being two wheel drive but I think he's going for it. A little late in the year , but he can drool over it till spring.

Andy
Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM
tooserious4u79

Well fugadude As for problems with the redcat I had one but sold mine because I thought it would be bigger. But I got the chance to fix my friends he claimed he had it runing once and it stripped the spur gear. He hasn't even gotten it through at least one tank of gas. Here is what you need to watch for: the stock clutch bell is manufactured oblong( it is very bendable it's like they made it out of pewter) the pull start my break I suggest warming the engine before initial start up, the low speed needle will be set all the way in from the factory so you may want to check that because when you initially start the truck it will automatically go into a high idle. That coupled with the a crappy clutch shoe spring, shoe assembly and the oblong clutch bell will strip out the spur gear. The radio is glitchy and about maybe 100 feet away you can kiss it goodbye. Change out all that stuff and you will have a great rc truck. But if you don't won't the headache don't open the box when you get it and especially don't put any gas in it because redcat will not refund you the money back. It is kind of a catch 22 situation you can't find out if the truck is good unless you run it. As for my opinion and I am sure other people think differently the only thing I would own that is redcat would be their of atvs.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Kandeman

I've just fitted an all metal gearbox to my Volcano (Tyrano) supplied by www.plaig.com.au and it seems to work well.

check this out

http://plaighobbies.forumsplace.com/message1232.html
Old 12-21-2006, 11:32 AM
prc14

well i buoght my son a tsnami for christmas stripped the spur gears at idle halfway through the first tank. i dont have time to get the parts before christmas so i guess i will go buy him something that wont break so easy. 213 bucks pissed in the wind. merry christmas.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:04 PM
trclm26

i think the biggest reason is the stock clutch bell i replaced mine with hpi 17t and its not eating it up near as bad.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:51 PM
ehroof

Sorry to hear it, the redcats are known for eating spur gears, if you replace you cluch bell with the ones i posted on the stick on the top of this forum you will be ok but you will have to get a new redcat spur gear, i would suggest a couple of them. clermontmotorsports.com is a great place to get parts, he has real fast shipping too, i have used them since i got my redcat last year.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 AM
RC 305

Hey guys new to the forum. I just bought a tornado xp and stripped the spur gear# 06032 on idle on half a tank. What a crappy product. I have been reading all the nice things people have to say about redcat racing and they really seem to be kinda ****ty. I should have spent the xtra cash on a better company...
Old 01-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Did you go over the gear mesh and check everything out first? Redcat is a decent car for a starter. Did you do the break in or just get on it right from the start. Things will get better. There is alot of good information on this forum. Check it out.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:43 AM
RC 305

The gear stripped during break in,not even a full tank. I was looking over it and saw the bigger throttle gear stripped,at least 3/4 of an inch. I read other posts where same thing happens to the other xp's. It really does not seem right for a new buggy not being run yet for this to happen. I ordered a new gear from clermontmotorsports,which i guess is your store. Should be really fun installing it since this is my first nitro. I have a tamiya 1/10 electric benz,sweet little car no problems..
Old 01-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Nexous

Hey guys. long time no talk.

Popper, the Chubby's, Ehroof. how is everyone?

been awhile since i have stopped by. have not had internet forawhile and got a brand new 6month old baby boy. w00t for me.

Anywho. i fired up my redcat VX the other day. ran it hard!!, seeing as i have not started it in like 4-5 months. fired up no problem.
After about 20 min of running i brought it back in and looked it over. I found i have roasted/toasted/broken my muffler gasket.
it is leaking all over through the muffler mount....
Thing is i cannot find where to get just the muffler head gasket, found muffler mounts. the muffler itself. but no gasket. atleast no gasket for my .16VX engine.

I poked through TST website but notice it has gone through a major change, cant find anything relating to my engine or car anymore.
if you guys could point me in the right direction. or tell me that i have to buy the whole mounts just to get the little rubber piece i need, i would be very thankful.
got a new mini DV cam. gonna post some vids. My brother has the Revo 3.3, im gonna help him set up. he has had it for awhile. ran it lots. but blew his piston rod about a month ago. he mailed it in and the sent him s new engine. so we put it back in and are gonna take it for a run this weekend.

Good to be back. see you guys more often.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Nexous

Seeing as i now have read over most of the posts since i have been gone... umm i hear alot of gears stripping during idle.... umm "IDLE'??? how do you strip gears during idle... when running idle your car should not move... set up correctly you shoulde never stip throttle gears during idle... i am assuming most got it out of the box. charge the glow started, filled it with fuel and fired it up... i did the same thing. but if this is the case then i guess when fired up without any look over or neddle adjustments it idled WAY high. thus stripping the gears.... to any and all whom are having problems with any Nitro car. have patience... redcat was my first Nitro and i was at the point of many. "this is a piece of **** crap car" i admit it has a few parts that could be made better. but as for Nitro RC's redcat is one of the best for a FIRST time n00b to the hobby.... hang in there guys... i did...
Old 01-06-2007, 03:10 PM
zack221

there clutch spring might have been broke causing the wheels to spin
Old 01-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Nexous

i could see that. but not fresh outa the box. possible. but doubt it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.