Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

just keeps breaking... Now I hit the gas and nothing... wheels won't spin

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

just keeps breaking... Now I hit the gas and nothing... wheels won't spin

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:09 PM
speedchris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just keeps breaking... Now I hit the gas and nothing... wheels won't spin

Yeah my buggy likes to be serviced... I had the clutch spring broke, (car woudn't idle, wheels spinning all the time)I fixed w/ the same spring, the buggy ran fine for about 2 minutes untill a suspension bolt came of the front right wheel ( I notice the exessive camber and stopped immediatelly). I went get the screw at the store, replaced it, suspension was fine, no demage, axles were fine, aligned and everything. Put it to run again, it ran fine for about 20 seconds... Well now it's got the opposite problem as before... Wheels won't spin... I hit the gas and nothing, engine reves up, clutch bell spins, but wheels wont. What could it be now?
Old 04-14-2006, 06:20 PM
speedchris

Default RE: just keeps breaking... Now I hit the gas and nothing... wheels won't spin

Oh and I have to mention... first gear spins whith the bell, so is nothing related to the clutch...
Old 04-14-2006, 06:34 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: just keeps breaking... Now I hit the gas and nothing... wheels won't spin

stripped gear somewhere
Old 04-14-2006, 07:19 PM
speedchris

How can I check what is wrong w/ it? take the hole thing apart?
Old 04-14-2006, 07:51 PM
ehroof

i would suggest to take the transmissions out, 4 bolts on the bottom of the chassis. there are 3 other gears in there besides the spur, also you may need to tighten the purple nut, this is something like a slipper clutch, if its loose it may slip too much and melt the plastic spur gear, or you may need to replace a gear if it is stripped.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:37 PM
speedchris

That makes sense... I'll take it apart tomorrow and check it out. Thank you
Old 04-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Popper252

Hey, ironically enough I was playing with my car tonight on top of the parking garage near my house and I too lost my tranny. Seeing as this is the first time it's happened how should I go about fixing it? Should I just replace the gears or would switching out the whole thing be better? I might go to my lhs and see if they have somthing steel that I could replace these with. I don't know about other makes of buggies but I'd assume they all use pretty much the same build when it comes to trannies and such. I'll be looking on-line tonight to see if I can find anything. Another thing, I think I lost my one way bearing tonight also. When I give the pull starter a yank it's not catching on anything, I'm assuming that's what it is.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:22 PM
ehroof

the spur gear on the volcano is kinda funny shaped, i dont think you can match it up, but good luck. i also noticed that the redcat spur gears are not round, when i spin it wobbles, its brand new, just put it in the trans today and turned the gears and watch it wobble. real junk. its not the shaft cause only the spur is wobbling.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:56 PM
speedchris

So what could we replace these junk parts whith? Hole new tranny? I don't understand why they do that, doesn't look good for the company to keep selling buggys and trucks w/ such fragile gears... I've gone to only 7 tanks so far after break in...
Old 04-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Stormy_H

I know the exact answer why they do it, to keep the upfront cost of the vehucle cheap and to make customers keep coming back for parts and upgrades. If you do remove the engine make sure gears are lined up.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:23 PM
ehroof

please post in my redcat stripped gears post to see if we can get an answer. to tell you the truth, i wouldnt invest more than the price of the plastic replacement parts into these redcats, their not worth it. their parts are cheap enough, just buy 2 or 3 like i did so you have insurance. i have other cars and trucks so i wont use these that much. i actually find myself not really using them at all, a arms and other pieces will break if your hard on them, this i understand but the gears should last a little while.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:24 PM
speedchris

Ok I got the gears out. Fist gear spins around back and forth because is supposed to be a pin there to lock it when the bell pulls it. I only see the hole for it... it's gone. Now... Another problem... second gear is half gone! If i put this one back in, it's gonna last another 30 seconds running... I can't believe that these gears are such junk!
Now before I replace the pin and the second gear and put back together... Should I check or change anything else? Or this thing just keps breaking like that?
Old 04-15-2006, 08:08 PM
speedchris

ORIGINAL: Stormy_H

I know the exact answer why they do it, to keep the upfront cost of the vehucle cheap and to make customers keep coming back for parts and upgrades. If you do remove the engine make sure gears are lined up.
I removed the engine through the bolts on the mount, I took the exhaus out. Ok but do they make replacement gears set that would last a resonable time? Better quality parts replacement? How long would that $17.99 gear set you have there on the site last? If i knew this buggy was so fragil, I've never bought it. But if there is better replacement parts for it and if it wouldn't break so easily all the time, would be a fun buggy.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:22 PM
ehroof

just buy the 42 tooth of throttle and the 47 tooth of throttle (spur) gears. i would buy a few of each to have extras. I filed the teeth on the clutch bell to make them a little cleaner when i changed my gears. You have the tornado xp i take it right? I think the teeth on the clutch bell is the culprit. i ran one tank today and the gears still look good, at least first does, i havent gotten it to shift to second on this tank, adjusted the 2 speed clutch and will try tomrrow if my wife/family let me(Easter). good luck

At least most of you will be nitro and rc experts by the time you get fed up with these and get another nitro!!!!

I find myself now using my other cars more and more, my 2 redcats will become shelf babies.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:46 PM
speedchris

My first gear looks good, second gear is half gone. The plastic gears suck. The little clutch thing is supposed to raise and lock first gear is not raising, so it spins and does nothing. There is a missing pin too...
Old 04-15-2006, 09:05 PM
ehroof

there is no pin, i think that was a prototype or something, the 2nd gear has and larger arm on it so you dont need it. i just bought 2 sets of gears and replace them as needed, i also bought a clutch shifter and will change it next time i lake the transmission out the change a stripped gear.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:15 PM
speedchris

I thing I got it messed up... second gear is good, fist gear looks bad, but I thought at least would be able to spin... aparently not. The smaller one that spins all the time is second right?I was thinking that one was first, so the clutch shifter will engage second when it raises...
Old 04-15-2006, 09:22 PM
ehroof

smaller is second gear, larger one is first. definately check out the teeth on the clutch bell, if they are in bad shape file them a little to make them better, i think this is the culprit to the stripped gear problem.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:20 PM
speedchris

Right... I took first gear out (47), and I'm having trouble taking second gear (42) out cuz the clutch shifter is too tight there... I'm afraid to break the hole thing. Is it that hard to come off?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:20 AM
ehroof

sorry chris i honestly dont remeber, i have changed the gears like 3 times and dont remember, i do remember it wasnt really a problem to change them. i would only change the gear that looks bad, i wouldnt replace them both unless you need to.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:18 PM
speedchris

I went to store today to mach up the "47" gear... No luck, they are all different. Where do I get the original replacement? I also made a decision while in the store... I'm gonna get a Traxxas Jato, it's fast and reliable, they have many upgrades and alumminum parts for it... As I fix this p.o.s, I'm gonna get rid of it.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:12 PM
ehroof

i get my parts from chubbysdad on the forum here, clermontmotorsports.com. I have the jato and its fast, reliable, easy to work on and fix (if needed) plus its fast as hell (did i say that already???). Nice truck to jump too, i have much confidence in mine, i have never jumped the redcats i have since i am affraid of what will break.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:29 PM
speedchris

I apreciate your help. I should've join this forum before buying this junk... I could've use this money to buy performance parts for the Jato. Oh well... I think I learned my lesson the hard way... I'll get the jato and start all over...
Old 04-16-2006, 02:45 PM
speedchris

That site " clearmontmotorsports.com" was not found...
Old 04-16-2006, 04:38 PM
chopper22980

Its clermont,not clearmont.No a in it.Hope you get your gears fixed up.
Ive had it with my volcano.I sold one to a guy on here and the gears are torn up he said.
Makes me feel and look like a jackass.Also the pullstart was broken,thought I had it fixed.
It did work,but I think they are junk.Ive got me a traxxas and a ofna now.No more redcat for me.

I will still play with my volcano,only to bash the crap out of it though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.