Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Volcano , Eldorado Diffgear set question

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano , Eldorado Diffgear set question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 04:40 PM
davizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano , Eldorado Diffgear set question

Hi Guys,

my name is David and i am from Germany.

1 month ago i have bought the Himoto Eldorada which is similar to your Redcat Volcano STX .

After driving 5 Tanks my main gear wheel #1 broke. Now i ordered a new one.

But the Questions i have and nobody in germany could answer me.

How can i tune this diff gear set ? the main wheel hast 35 teeth . Does anybody found out if others fit ? or what to do else ?

Did anybody of you try a bigger engine on the truck ? Here in Germany there are just few ppl with this truggy, but i think its a very well made one , except getting tuning parts for the Differential Gear set.

Hope you guys have any ideas

Btw , sry my english is not best and i didnt find any answers by using the search button.

best regards,
david
Old 04-22-2006, 08:35 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Volcano , Eldorado Diffgear set question

hi david,

i dont think you can, the other cars redcat makes has different gears, they dont have a slipper setup like the single speed volcano truck does so the gears are different. A redcat dealer may know better than me but when i go to the sites and look at the gears i dont see anything put the spur gear set.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:03 PM
cartronicshn

david you can also try installinng the 2 speed tranny and 2 speed cluthbell from the tornado xp, you will need the xp camshaft of the brake to work properly, i installed in mine today.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:10 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: cartronicshn

david you can also try installinng the 2 speed tranny and 2 speed cluthbell from the tornado xp, you will need the xp camshaft of the brake to work properly, i installed in mine today.
does it work? i was thinking about it, i have both of them and they looked like they would swap.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:55 AM
davizzle

hell yeah , sounds great 2 speed

but how much dollaros do i have to spend for this little fun ? and pls pls make a video of yours and tell us if power is much better.

ah edit

I also asked my self , what about building in a bigger engine. I have some trouble with my car, its not that fast like in the redcat video. Dunno whats going wrong. If my spare parts arrive i´ll build the car up new and make a video. U will see then.Back to my idea . What about building in a more powerful .18 engine or a low .21 engine (about 2 hp). Do u think the car would handle it ?

2 HP on the volcano would make a real monster of it

AAHHH before i forget. Is your brake getting from drive to drive weaker ? Sometimes my brake just isn working. and i dunno how to fix it . Break really Suxx .Hope you know how to fix it or a good mod or how to upgrade the engine.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:16 AM
cartronicshn

tried it out yesterday[8D], to be honest it's a little slower of the line not by much, but i was going a little faster at the end, and it never shifted into second yet[X(], i came into a turn to fast and killed my steering arm, i'am fixing it, going out in the morning to play around with tranny adjustment, but everything is just a direct swap like i mentioned earlier[8D]
Old 04-23-2006, 10:26 AM
bluecaka69

how are the gears holding up cause i put gears out of a lightning into my volcano cause they are lower gearded than the tornado and it ate the gears up real quick possible due to the weight of the volano i duuno
Old 04-23-2006, 10:37 AM
cartronicshn

i only ran 2 1/2 tanks, but gears look just brand new, also i had an xp for a couple of weeks and i ragged the hell out of it and no gear problem, i honestly think gear problems are related to wrong mesh adjustment and/or deformed cluthbells, i've seen a friend go through gears and clutch spring like there was no tomorrow and his problem seemed to be the clutchbell was all warped and all stripped on the inside, clutchbell and clutch are my next upgrade
Old 04-23-2006, 10:58 AM
davizzle

hmm aha have to look that the diffs fit correct if i reassemble the truck.

Next month i am going to buy buggy wheels : 80-90 mm x 30-45 mm . I think this will make the care faster and more agile. If you have a look at the MT2 , which is the example for the volcano how we know , it also has small wheels and this thing is fast We also have the same engine like the MT2 . [>:]

Take at the look at your main gear diff set. I am going to take 14 teeth clutchbell and i changed the order in diff gear erm erm.. 3 and 4 ? the connection from the second to the last diff. I think that way the topspeed will increase and the acceleration should be well because of the small clutchbell. You can try a 13 teeth one too, or 12, maybe it´ll make wheelies that way, the chance that this will work will surely increase with the buggy wheels

tell me , is my english ok ? i never talked in an american forum with other guys before.

the wheels i buy next month

Old 04-23-2006, 11:17 AM
cartronicshn

i think the mt2 is buggy right? it's more agile because the center of gravity is lower, it's faster due to final drive ratio and weight difference, if you put smaller tire read lower ride height, it wil lower the center of gravity, but also increase of the line acceleration, and will decrease overall top speed, just by changing tires alone you can affect performance, it mostly depends on where you are racing, if it's course with lonng straights you need more top speed, if it's a course with a lot of twisty turnn you probably better of with better acceleration then speed, as for your english don't worry you are doing fine, i'am in honduras so cool.
Awesome wheels, where are you getting them?
Old 04-23-2006, 11:43 AM
ehroof

no problem, your english is fine.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:38 PM
davizzle

yeah but read my post again , i also said that i am going to chance diff settings and clutchbell , this will take effect on top speed and acceleration too.

The rims are available in Germany @ www.d-edition.com 14,90 € , will be.. approx 18-20 $ + shipping , so get a group an order together

ah cant wait to go out drivin.. [:@]
Old 04-25-2006, 07:40 AM
cartronicshn

ehroof, can't get the volcno to shift gears[], any ideas, i was thinking the tire size affects the final ratio as to not have enough momentum to activate the centrifugal clutch?help i tried adjusting the clutch already, it just wont shift , i even oiled the tranny to see if was stuck, but nothing here, i know there is himoto eldorada with 2 speed tranny i'am pretty sure they should be this same parts, but for now i'am lost
Old 02-22-2007, 04:30 PM
jwilson2536

i have been experiencing slippage problems in my differential with my eldorada. gear 1 is not turning gear 2. does anyone know what the issue is or what i can do to fix it. maybe even swap it out with something that will work without the whole clutch system between those gears. i dont think i want the two speed diff. also what is the best sight for upgrades on these things.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:56 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

if it's a 2 speed there is the clutch set up in the center diff, it has a little arm that swings out and catches a notch on the 2nd gear. Either the little piece in the clutch isn't swining out or the notch on the second gear is stripped off. I would take it apart and see what is going on inside. It's also possible you may have your one way bearing in backwards. If you really want to make it a single speed transmission you will need the following parts:

Part # 08023 Moderate Gear Set (Center Transmision single speed)

HPI 14, 15, 16, 17 or 18 Tooth Savage Clutch Bell and Bearings single speed
That should be all you need to convert it to single speed.

You can get that stuff at anyone of the following places:

[link=http://www.allaboutfunhobbies.com/redcat_himotoracing.htm]http://www.allaboutfunhobbies.com/redcat_himotoracing.htm[/link]

[link=http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/StoreFront]http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/StoreFront[/link]

[link=http://www.exceedrc.com/]http://www.exceedrc.com/[/link]
Old 02-22-2007, 05:34 PM
jwilson2536

i know the diff is part # 08023. in between gear one and gear two there is what they call a loadproof lining and chip, it is not catching. the egine is revving out, gear one is just spinning and the truck is not moving. is there a diff i can swap it out with that does not have this...or how do i solve that problem. could i maybe adjust the loadproof spring tension. how do i keep it from reoccuring
Old 02-22-2007, 05:41 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

OH OK, I got ya now, sorry. Ya it's called a slipper gear. ya need to hold that main gear in place and tighten down the purple nut at the end of the spring. I personally tighten mine down all the way. but it's there incase somethign happens to where the wheels stop spinng instantly, like something is jammed in there, it's supposed to keep from shearing off the gears, I think it's a pain in the butt. If you want it to work you need to tighten it down untill it doesn't slip when you take off.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:19 PM
jwilson2536

thanks so much. i just took my diff out and tightened it all the way and tried it out. it worked great. i had the tires spinning so fast on the start it was doing a burnout. lol thanks for all the advice. ill be looking you up if i ever have anymore issues
Old 02-22-2007, 06:25 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

no problem, glad to help.