Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Old 01-19-2007, 04:05 PM
MiniCwik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Cool bro, thanks for the info! I'll definitely be keeping them in mind for myself and my bro-in-law.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:50 PM
NSXTACY

ORIGINAL: ehroof

this will work, i have used it on my volcano, it gives a much higher rpm engagement (higher stall) but it eliminates the spring all together. i upgraded my rs4 3 to the one that nsxtcy has so i thought it would be a direct fit on the volcano since the stock shoes were. here is the link to the stock shoes that i used from an rs4 3 : http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVK12&P=7
Will those work on the tornado's flywheel??: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVK12&P=7
I think i did get the shoes to fit finally. Now all im waiting for is the HPI 2 speed clutch bell setup....

Has anybody ever had the problem where the cap screw's heads break off?(the screws that hold the engine to the engine mounts) That just happened to me. The 2 cap screw heads on the left engine mount broke off sometime during driving. I tightened the 2 on the right as tight as i could so the engine wouldn't wobble on the engine mounts. I ordered new mounts and cap screws, but i was wondering if you guys think it would be ok to drive it with the 2 left engine mount screws heads broken off until the new ones get here? Has that ever happened to anybody else??

Thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 07:57 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, the tornado and volcano are the same, i wouldnt suggest running with 2 of the heads broken on the same side, i never had my heads come off, at least on my engines anyway.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:58 PM
NSXTACY

ORIGINAL: ehroof

yes, the tornado and volcano are the same
Ugh why didnt you tell me that earlier. j/k I would have liked those other clutch shoes since they don't need springs, but oh well....
Question how do you take the flywheel off?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:03 PM
ehroof

pry off with a screwdriver from behind the flywheel, you need to take off the extension nut that is on the threads of the crankshaft first.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:07 PM
NSXTACY

How do you take off the extension nut? It seems impossible.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:09 PM
ehroof

they make piston stops you put in where the glow plug goes, you can put a flat screwdriver in the exhaust port to hold the piston in place, wrap it with electric tape so it wont nick the piston.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:49 AM
NSXTACY

Alright, i was trying to do stuff like that but scared i would mess something up big time.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:45 AM
NSXTACY

Hey i have the tornado BB and it looks like it has a different reciever shell than the Xl or XP.... My reciever shell is directly attached to the upper plate like this: and it is pretty annoying. Would this http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/Detail?no=47 and this http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/Detail?no=35 work on my Tornado BB? Would i need anything else? Where would the throttle servo go?
Can somebody take pics of the Tornado that has this reciever setup? I need to see the difference.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:07 AM
eodreese

Can someone please help me? I have a .18 CXP engine and I am in desperate need of finding a replace pull start. Apparently there are 2 different engines, the Taiwan and the Japan engines. I have no clue which one I have. The only place I have found one for sale is on EBay under HIMOTO racing store. If anyone has any information on this please feel free to clue me in. Thanks.

I'm sure you all understand the longing to go drive. It sucks having a broken buggy that mocks you from its place on the shelf.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:47 AM
MiniCwik

Here is a replacement pull starter on Tower Hobby - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXN412&P=RF

You could also upgrade to an electric start, also on Tower Hobby - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXFET0&P=K
Old 01-24-2007, 03:42 PM
NSXTACY

But who really needs electric start? Pulling a rope aint that hard. And you have to deal with batteries too.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:28 PM
rclynx

Who needs ele start? people with a lot of money, lazy people and hobby shops to sell them to those people OH well where was I? Pull start_ Global will have both of them and if you really have trouble finding them e-mail me I have them both.

Those HPI clutch parts work good with the steel bell. the diameter is smaller than the original RTR so it engauges faster
Old 01-27-2007, 01:31 AM
ziggy653

[8D][X(] Ok fella's I got the Tornado XP the other day, and did an initial heat cycle on the engine to do the first stage of the break-in process. The car was a little hard to start, I used a little bit of throttle trim to help ease the starting process, it ran quit well ( 5 tanks already, variable throttle and no more than 1/3 throttle at ease ). A little rich so it will only run at idle with the glow igniter on, will run if you keep the throttle up a little though. But here is my question, and I know there are going to be a few hairs pulled here, but here we go: Why is my LHS Low Speed Idle Screw on the side of the carburator turned out from factory 3 full turns, not the 1 1/2 -1 3/4...???? >< The HSP High Speed Needle is set at 3 full turns as well. This I am sure is right however what about the " LHS " should it also be 3 full turns out?????????????????
Old 01-27-2007, 08:03 AM
ehroof

the low speed needle should be flush with the collar around it for the break in, you can lean it once break in is done.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:31 AM
ziggy653

Thanks and I'll be back with more questions. And bye the way WHAT A WONDERFUL SIGHT.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:07 PM
NSXTACY

Got my HPI Shock shafts: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN177&P=0
They fit almost perfectly on the Tornado's shocks! The only thing is the thread at the bottom is a mm longer meaning the shaft wont screw all the way into the bottom cup (no big deal) You can shave the mm off if you want but you don't need to. They also fit perfectly in the body hole. Stock up on these! They are made from steel so they will be alot stronger!! They are dirt cheap too. Also get these: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM822&P=M if you don't have enough e clips, they work perfectly too. Ill take some pics of the shocks with those HPI shock shafts soon. Ill be putting a video up too of my buggy!

Does anybody have a Tornado body that is pre cut? I am so bad at cutting bodies.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:52 PM
zack221

ORIGINAL: ziggy653

[8D][X(] Ok fella's I got the Tornado XP the other day, and did an initial heat cycle on the engine to do the first stage of the break-in process. The car was a little hard to start, I used a little bit of throttle trim to help ease the starting process, it ran quit well ( 5 tanks already, variable throttle and no more than 1/3 throttle at ease ). A little rich so it will only run at idle with the glow igniter on, will run if you keep the throttle up a little though. But here is my question, and I know there are going to be a few hairs pulled here, but here we go: Why is my LHS Low Speed Idle Screw on the side of the carburator turned out from factory 3 full turns, not the 1 1/2 -1 3/4...???? >< The HSP High Speed Needle is set at 3 full turns as well. This I am sure is right however what about the " LHS " should it also be 3 full turns out?????????????????
your lsn (low speed needle) isnt your idle adjustment here is a pic of the needles

also just so you know lhs doesnt stand for low speed needle lhs stands for local hobby shop i just figured i would clear that up for you so everone would know that you werent talking about local hobby shop
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32467.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	607718  
Old 01-27-2007, 05:28 PM
AL2007

G'day people, thanks for all the great info in these forums - as a new guy to the nitro scene this site has been very helpfull given the lack of info that is provided in the 'instruction manual'.. I've had a few things break on my 1:10 scale truck - you guys call it the volcano over there. I geuss you get what you pay for but if this is aimed as an entry level truck into the nitro scene how hard is it to provide a comprehensive manual ? If I didn't have the internet i prob would have fed this truck to my rotti by now...
Anyway I am hooked on nitro vehicles big time and thanks again to all the helpfull people here. Over the past few weeks I have learnt a huge amount from these forums and this site. The other day I upgraded the clutch - the old factory one was not looking good. Following the advice read in these forums I got the HPI Heavy Duty Clutch Bell from the Savage SS - part A990 along with the HPI Teflon Clutch Shoe Set - part A886, doing away with the annoying spring setup as well as the poxy clutch bell. The new clutch set up works great but the guy in the model shop told me these shoes were not designed to work with this clutch bell - after putting the clutch together as per instructions i found the scissor springs were too long - maybe i did something wrong had not had much sleep and also had blurry eyes from a few too many beers the night before... but they stuck out about a mil past the shoes and scraped the inside of the bell when ingaging - I just trimmed a mil or so off the end of each spring put it back together and now it works great.
Spoke too soon : ( Had the truck going awesome for a while and then broke the blo_dy pull start ( I may be a bit of a gorrilla but i am not stupid I know not to be rough with the pull start ) - the engine had quite a bit of compression to it when I went to start it but then suddenly loosened up and i pulled the friggin string right thru the plastic where it is attached to inside of the pullstart, Grrrrr why can the not make a pullstart with metal internals.. ( does a monkey impression and waves his arms around ! ) Planning to head into town sometime this week and will get the HPI pull start> can anyone confirm that HPI LXN412 ( HPI 1668 PULL START NITRO STAR .15 .18 NIB ) is the one i need to fit the 1:10 truck - it has the vx-18 engine. Thanks, I like to avoid the stinking city when i can..
Old 01-27-2007, 05:51 PM
ehroof

yes that pull start is a direct fit
Old 01-27-2007, 08:35 PM
zack221

welcome to the forums al2007
Old 01-27-2007, 08:44 PM
AL2007

Hey ehroof, thanks. Awesome ! with a bit of luck will have the truck running again tomorrow or the next day, it's a long weekend here in NZ - kinda sucks having everything working mint and having no way to start the thing.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:49 PM
ehroof

Your welcome, I can understand that, all show and no go
Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 PM
AL2007

G'day zack221 - and everyone, thanks the forums have been a great help. Reckon i am totally addicted to Nitro [X(] ...driving me nuts not being able to take the truck out for a bash today - it's a hot sunny slow day over here. Ohwell might have to go play with the 1/1 scale 'toy' down in the garage. lol the nitro truck is all show and no go and the toy in the garage is all go and no show.. [>:]
Old 01-27-2007, 09:48 PM
ehroof

we cant have it all, or at least that is what they say, personally i dont believe that saying though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.