Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 06:53 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

any ca is good for the tires, i like the medium thickness this way it doesnt run so easy
Old 02-17-2007, 10:40 PM
snakwelz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this looks like good directions exept i cant see how ou have that spring attacheted to the clutch weights. i cant get it to hook on anything to get tension to pul it over the curve of the weight.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:33 PM
j_blaze

Wow, lots of good info in these posts, I went through most of these problems before I even realized this was all here! My bearing went bad too, what happened was one of the small shafts inside was not lining up straight like the rest and woul lock in reverse, what did I do? Popped it out with a micro screw driver, no issues since. That was about 2 gallons ago, most of the time I spent trying to figure out what was wrong with the thing but i fixed it in two seconds. I too had my clutch bell snap off in two parts, but the second one I ordered seems to be better quality and has already lasted twice as long as the first - newbie break in process rough? -. Besides that and a few bent dog bones and a cracked c-hub carrier thing I have zero complaints. I love my Tsunami, this truck can take a beating. Also I slapped on a new body today, Pro-Line Crowd Pleazer, it fit great and with the Tornado shock towers and wing the truck is really sharp. Thank you Redcat! Here are some pics...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69920.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	624629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64259.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	624630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo32051.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	624631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83956.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	624632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19773.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	624633  
Old 02-19-2007, 07:07 AM
NSXTACY

What a beauty j_blaze! I wish my tornado looked half as good as that. Is that a tornado or a tsunami? I can't tell, you have so many different parts on there. What tires and wheels are on the back? I would like those for my torando, if they fit. Show me a link!

Also what did you use to trim the new body, looks good. I suck so bad at trimming bodies.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:49 PM
j_blaze

Its a Tsunami with Tornado wing and shock towers, the tires and wheels I got at the local lhs HTUSA. They are Team losi xxt tires with HPI wheels, 2.2. The body also is a losi xxt/nt by proline, crowd pleazer. I cut it out with a pair of surgical looking scissors I had sitting around. All I had to do was drill out starter holes and cut slow.

wheels: http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm
Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 PM
NSXTACY

ORIGINAL: NSXTACY

In response to chubbysuncle's post the 4th post on page 3.
I just got the new one way bearing for the pull start in the mail, which actually surprisingly DID come with cheap candy the same candy chubby has in the pic, except i got one more piece . Threw the bearing in the fridge, knocked out the old bearing of the holder(almost impossible), and waited a couple hours. Once the bearing was good and cold i snapped the new bearing in the bearing holder and it fit great. It fixed the pull start problem! So i put the car back together and took it outside. The engine was not connected to wheels, it was just spinning the clutch bell. It started and ran great! But suddenly it stalled, OH ****! [X(] I quickly took it up to my maintenance room and took it apart. I found out the one way bearing in the pull start must have got too hot and expanded literally locking itself onto the backplate shaft(wouldn't spin either way), therefore stalling the engine. So i can't get the one way bearing off the shaft right now, i threw it in the freezer again with the backplate and shaft. Will putting it in the freezer make it easier to slide off the shaft? And also why would it expand like that, that fast? Should i have let the bearing and bearing holder get back to regular temp before putting it together and running the engine. Hopefully i won't have to buy another bearing.... [:'(]
Great!! this happened again!! I ordered another bearing from RCHOVER again 2nd time and used a vise this time to put it in the bearing holder and once i waited a day and then took the car out for a spin today the one way bearing got stuck on the shaft AGAIN when i was driving it up and down the street! I am SOO pissed off that i wasted 20 buks buying those bearings and they still haven't fixed my problem(actually making it worse)[:@]. I am also confused why it keeps happening when i followed chubby's instructions exactly. Chubby do you have any clue why the OWB is getting stuck with my engine? I am totally conufused, i even used a vise like you said and did it very slow. Any idea what is wrong or what i was doing wrong?

So now my only option is to buy this: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN413&P=V and http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXN449&P=
and hope it works cause i just now ordered it. Jeeze this car is getting to be a pain in the ass and a hole in the pocket.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM
ehroof

bro, i was going to suggest the hpi one way bearing, i never heard of one getting stuck on a shaft, just losing its grip. Bro, one thing for sure, this is not a cheap hobby, maybe something is wrong with the one way bearing housing.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:59 PM
NSXTACY

How would the bearing housing effect the bearing getting stuck?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:32 AM
ehroof

if you are just changing the bearing and using the same housing and are having the same problem, what else could it be? i have never heard of a one way bearing getting stuck on a shaft like yours. I may be missunderstanding what you are saying but it seems you are pressing a new bearing in the old housing then putting it on the shaft.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:52 AM
arlo1

It is very highly unlikely for the housing to be the cause it would have to be so tight to squeze the bearing down it would break first! I would mesure the shaft and findout if it is maybe to big use a micrometer and check it in at least 6 places I might have a oval shape to it!

Old 02-22-2007, 03:03 PM
NSXTACY

Well i already ordered that new HPI OWB with holder and new shaft, so that should surely fix the problem. But yes i pressed the new bearing in the old holder (like what Chubbysuncle did) and then installed it on the shaft. I am still confused of why it sticks to the shaft when i get the engine hot.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:16 PM
ehroof

something is expanding as it warms up, you should have no problems with the new parts though.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:08 PM
SIREX

I just bought a lightning STR Not much on here about it. I have a post titled Lightning str. Could you guys look at it and let me know what else I need for this car so I could place my order tonight.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2007, 02:19 PM
NSXTACY

Can you believe they are selling the Tornado Xl at 99 dollars? Thats crazy! Are they even making any money? lol
I should buy one for 100 bucks even though i already have a BB. Cool prices are going down, hopefully the Hurricane XP Pro goes down to 300, i want one of those sooo bad!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:51 PM
NSXTACY

Can anybody help a fellow Redcat racer? The thin little washers in the 1/10th tornado clutch bell have wore down from use(the washers circled in the pic) and i was wondering if anybody has any spares cause i can't seem to find anybody that sells them? If anybody has any at all that u wouldn't mind me having them just tell me and ill send you some money through paypal to ship them to me. Please help if you can!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73421.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	630640  
Old 02-27-2007, 06:47 AM
ehroof

did you try a hardware store, they should have it
Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 AM
MiniCwik

NXSTACY, I wish I had spares (sorry) I recently had to find some and I do know that most LHS that carry HPI products will have them. Here is the info:

HPI Product link - http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/Z694.html

My post from a few weeks back - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_53...anchor/tm.htm#

ehroof - most hardware stores that I checked and my bro checked out, even a fastener company did not make washers thin enough causing the clutch bell to get too tight when tightening things down.

I actually just put new washers in my setup, and had to take some 600 grit sandpaper and sand them down a little, but I got it just right, where I wanted it now
Old 02-27-2007, 11:34 AM
arlo1

The thin washers are probably shims. I work in a motorcycle shop and we get tonns of take off, and through away nuts and bolts so things like this I might be able to find. Otherwise try a nut and bolt suplier.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:06 PM
NSXTACY

Would this be them? : http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM693&P=M
Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 PM
MiniCwik

Yep, that's them!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:17 PM
NSXTACY

Just ordered them cause i don't think my hobby town would have them, they don't have a huge HPI selection.

I got an idea for someone with a lot of money, a tornado, and/or a need to upgrade the tornado clutch bell to a HPI one.
I was wondering if the RS4 nitro 3 2 speed tranny would fit and work in the tornado?
Even though the design is a little different i bet it would fit like all the HPI nitro 3 stuff does.
All you would need to get is these 2 things: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBTB6&P=0 and http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/85036.html if your lucky it might fit
Also If someone is getting the upgraded hpi clutch bell GET this instead! It has the clutch bell and clutch bell gears and the 2 speed internals that might fit on the tornado and then you would just need the HPI 2 speed case (at the top). If it doesn't fit perfect a simple mod would work.
If someone could buy that and got it to fit it that would be the BEST part exchange ever for the tornado!
Besides the tornado 2 speed is nothing but a POS!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:14 PM
NSXTACY

Can anybody help me??
I just got my buggy working again , i was having trouble with the OWB on the pull start, as you might have read....[:'(]
Well i noticed my buggy is suffering at top speed, rpms are lower than used to be and i am using my old pipe(not the turbo ring) and im using the same Top Fuel. I can't get my rpms up enough to even shift to 2nd. I also tried leaning out the highspeed but if i leaned it out a little bit when i went full throttle the engine cut off, not enough fuel in the mix. Any tips to get my RPMs up? Would glow plugs affect performance? I might could use a new glow plug. Could anything besides the engine affect the rpms? My tires and wheels are the same size, and everything else is the same. Just if you have any tips for more RPM plz share, my top speed is SUFFERing not a big ordeal (atleast its working) but id like it to be as fast as it used to be or at least be able to switch to 2nd.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:46 PM
ziggy653

Hey folks
I have a little trouble happening here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![] Seems to be stuck in high gear, just went outside and the car does not want to go to top rpm and the clutch is VERY HOT!!!!!
Some snow fell into the hole on the transmission and did it ever sizzle ( WOW )[X(]
Old 03-03-2007, 08:32 PM
ehroof

you may need to adjust the set screw on the 2 speed clutch, there are 2, one is for keeping the clutch in place the other is to adjust shift times. clockwise is higher rpm's for shifting, counterclockwise is for lower rpm's for shipping. i usually spray mine down with wd 40 to loosen up the arm that comes out to catch the second gear, i would suggest to tighten it a little, after you turn the gears in reverse to try and disengage it, then spray it down, i am very suprised to hear the transmission sizzled with water on it.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:23 PM
NSXTACY

Well i just got my 4th 2 speed clutch. LOL
Hopefully it doesn't break like the other 3. If it does i am defeintally switching to 1 speed tranny and throwing the 2 speed away for good.

Oh and does anyone know how to get rpms up besides leaning out HSN?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.