Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Depends on your tune and how rough you are with it. I don't think I've ever gotten more than 10-12 minutes of runtime out of ANY small block nitro car with a 75cc tank...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went to the hobby store and got a new t-maxx clutch spring for my volcano, they only sold them with the shoes too, so i was wondering if the t-maxx shoes will fit my volcano.
    What ever happened to sex, drugs, and rock & roll? Now all we got is AIDS, crack, and techno.

I don't think so...I believe someone tried them with no luck.
    *REDNECK RACING SUPPORT* If it ain\'t broke you didn\'t have fun! Savage X,Volcano,Tornado XP.
    www.clermontmotorsports.com

I had some problems with the pullstarter on my Tornado and found out that the One Way Bearing (OWB) was no good. The bearing is in a 14mm nut type holder mounted in the pullstart. The OWB listed in the manual ( P/N 02067) is not the one for the pullstarter. It's for the 2 spd gearbox. Redcat doesn't have the bearing so you have 2 options. You can try and see if you can match it up to an HPI OWB or you can order just the bearing and reuse the bearing holder.
    I ordered one of these[link]http://www.rchover.com/inc/sdetail/44762[/link]. I used a 1/4" deep snap-on socket to press out the old bearing from the holder. When I got the new bearing I threw it in the freezer for a couple of hours. I used jaw protectors in my vise and with the outer holder at about 80 deg and the bearing @ 30 deg I pressed it right in. You must make sure the bearing and holder are absolutly square to each other. It wasn't very hard to press in with the temp difference once temps equal out it's super tight. Total cost $10. You need a good vise or arbor press to do this right so it's not for everyone. I give it 3 wrenches!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr51350.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	488151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27510.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	488152  
    *REDNECK RACING SUPPORT* If it ain\'t broke you didn\'t have fun! Savage X,Volcano,Tornado XP.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hello do you know how to assemble pull cord help adrian2007

Sorry no.I haven't had one break yet. What broke on yours? The spring or the cord? If the cord broke near the handle I would try to rotate the spool and fish out the broken end with a small piece of wire then retie it to the handle. If the spring broke I'd just replace it. I rewound ALOT of pullstarters and replaced springs on lawnmowers and chainsaws and they can be tough. The Nitro starters are so small you'll end up hurting yourself with the spring. When you pullstart these engines you need to just use your wrist and not your whole arm. It's not a lawnmower. The cords are short. You don't wanna pull the cord out to the end when you're starting just about 3/4 of the way.

Oh HI welcome to the Forum!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, if the spring on your pullstarter is out you might aswell get a new one. I've tried to fix mine before but I could just never get it to wind back up correctly. The only thing I got out of it were a few cuts and a whole bunch of frustration. Check out this thread over here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4068240/tm.htm There is some info there that'll you'll want to read. It's got an HPI pullstart that will work for your car/truck and also some other starting options. Let us know if you need anything else man. Welcome to the forums.
    Tornado Xp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi there, Thank you all for your help. I've been reading the threads for a few months now since I found the redcat and himoto on ebay shortly after buying my oldest a Traxxas Stadium Maxx in April, and have found a lot of the info on here very useful. Especially since I was going to buy a truck to run similar vehicles with him, but heard about a lot of clutch and diff problems with them. I ended up getting a Syclone Pro with the 2 speed and Team Infiniti engine. All the web sites and other help I've found on these threads all give advice for tuning a 2 needle carb, but this has the single needle. As I've seen many times on here, I agree. The manual is next to useless. What are the Factory settings on it, and if anyone could help, a good optimum setting. It has been running better and a lot easier to tune and consistent than the Traxxas (which I still can't get to run a full tank of gas), but after breaking it in, the first high speed pass I made, it stalled the minute it hit second gear. Someone who was around and into RC cars suggested that it was too lean. He also suggested that I adjust the Idle needle since I needed to adjust the trim quite a bit to start it. Well, too many adjustments without knowing enough about them and I can't keep it running. I have to turn the trim all the way open to start it. The motor screams, and the minute I drop back to normal, it stalls. I want to reset to factory settings (or general settings) and start all over, but I can't find anything about this engine, or type of carb, and as mentioned before, the manual is useless...Thanks for everything.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well i'm not sure if you saw the first page of this thread or not, but the factory settings should be about the same for your carb even though it's only a single needle.

To adjust your idle correctly center the throttle trim tab on the remote. Then go ahead and take the airfilter off and look down the throat of the carb. The gap you see is what you want to adjust. Pull your throttle lever on the carb all the way back (so the hole is as small as it will go) and then start to turn the idle screw out untill you see that gap get bigger. You want it to be open about a mm. Then go ahead and turn the engine on and you can fine tune your adjustments with the screw driver while it's on. Get it so that the car stays put but is just about to roll forward.

As for the problem with it shifting and then stalling, I think the guy was right in saying that it was too lean. Turn the carb needle out a little bit. You should be able to see a stream of white smoke while running the car. If not you run the risk of overheating the engine.

But anyways, check out the post on the first page of this thread. I've got some pictures up of whats what aswell as the default settings. Let us know if that works out for you.
    Good luck man.

Oh and welcome to the forums
    Tornado Xp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Popper...Yeah, I just found this particular thread yesterday while doing a generic internet search for nirto carb tuning. I have since read every post on it. I just have to get weather cooperation and time to check it out now, but was curious as to the factory settings since your pic's had shown a 2 needle set-up. One more question...In the Traxxas thread, a guy was having a problem with his T-Maxx running hot and not too powerful no matter how he set it up (a similar problem I'm having with my son's)...guys at the local track told him to use Top fuel for it, and he said it ran cooler and better. I have been running Blue Thunder (same as he was) in both cars since the LHS was out of Top Fuel and any pints when we got my son's Traxxas. Has anyone else noticed this kind of difference with these vehicles? We only have one LHS that's decent travel time, and I've gone there dozen's of times trying to get help and parts for my son's Traxxas, but the guy hasn't been much help. I'm not new to RC, I used to race 1/10 and 1/12 onroad, drag racing, power pulling, and dirt buggy as well as make custom race parts, but I have been out of it for about 10 or so years (except an occassional bash with my old gear till the batteries got too tired) and am totally new to nitro.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There may be an airleak somewhere in the engine causing it to run too lean and as a consequence too hot. Most possible cause is where the carb attaches to the engine block. But also check to make sure the engine head and the back plate are sealed well. You may want to take some High Temp Silicon sealant and put a little bit around the gaskets and the carb body to help seal things up.
    As for the power issue check to make sure the glow plug is still good and if it's been a while you may want to just go ahead and replace it with a new one.
    If I can think of anything else i'll let ya know.
    Tornado Xp

You could try a different fuel. I switched to Trinity Monster fuel and hate it! It runs hot and idles like crap. Not to mention it smells bad. I switched from ODonnel 20% because of the price the LHS is charging. I'm switching back ASAP. the ODonnwl ran great. Nice temps smooth performance and no bad smell. Do like Popper said though and check for an air leak. Even in the exhaust system. The pressure of the exhaust in the muffler is what feeds/ pumps the fuel into the carb. Also make sure the fuel tank cap is sealing tight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks again for all this help guys...I know in the case of the Traxxas, I think I have it it nailed down to the head...I have replaced so many plugs on it trying to tune it, I think I cross threaded it with that crappy double end wrench they give you...I replaced it, and the directions that came with it sucked, said use 3 head gaskets, and this spark plug spacer that was like 1/4" thick...I measured and mounting dimensions were identical to stock head, outside was much bigger...Ran extremely sluggish, but cool, I pulled out the plug spacer, and it screamed, ran a tad high, but I ran out of time to fine tune it...Was just thinking 'cause of the post I saw from this guy on the Traxxas thread...He was the guy at the local track that tuned the new guys engines, and they were kicking his butt after...Identical everything except the fuel, so he switched and said a world of difference....However, another guy I was talking to this weekend while trying to tune the cyclone, said he had nothing but problems with the TRX2.5...that it's just a very finicky motor, needs adjusting for slightest weather change, he changed carbs, it ran a little better, swapped to an OS direct drop in .18 and it finally kept up at the track and was much more stable....Hopefully, this weekend, I'll get a chance to get a nice stretch to get them both right...Rain tonight and all day tomorrow, probably take them apart to get more aclimated to them and clean them up better than a quick brush, after run, and air can.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh, I have an after thought here...In the case of checking for air leaks, can you check like you do with a regular car and use either starter fluid or water while it's running? You know, if you use starter fluid, it speeds up with a leak, and water, it bogs down?

It might work but I would use WD-40. These engines are so small and simple I would just seal it all first off. If the prob continued I guess a little spray of WD might find your leak. WD 40 won't seize the engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, great thread. I have a quick question about the tornado xp. Mine starts fine, but seems to start in gear. I have to pick the car up to start it. The tires automatically begin to spin. When i set it down it will stall out. Im just wondering about a possible fix. Any and all ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks.
    Sponsered by: ALL ABOUT FUN HOBBIES /ALL ABOUT FUN HOBBIES PRODUCT REVIEWER

+DD+

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harry, that's where I left off the last time I ran it, but It was getting dark, I couldn't see that well, and I'd run about 2 or 2 1/2 tanks through it. I think I ended up with a diry air filter...I thought I was running on a road (still trying to get used to it and was re-tuning it) and it was grassy off to the sides, but I think it was a lot dustier than I thought when I checked out the air filter last night.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey harry, what that means is that your clutch spring has snapped. Baisically that means your clutch is always engaged.
    If you read the very first post of this thread it goes in the great detail on how to fix it. Good luck and let us know if you have anymore questions.
    Tornado Xp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks popper, thats what i thought i just wanted to make sure before i started taking the car apart. Thanks for the quick replies. Time to take this thing apart.
    Sponsered by: ALL ABOUT FUN HOBBIES /ALL ABOUT FUN HOBBIES PRODUCT REVIEWER

+DD+

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi ALL

I have done abt 2 qrts of run on my buggy so far. Last week the exhaust gasket ripped off and i managed to get it done myself from the gasket sheet bought from Auto Zone and sealed it with Silicone sealer.

I also noticed that when i try to prime the engine , fuel did not rush to the carb.

What am i missing here.

Thank you
    My Wife knows how much it costs and she still Loves me ;-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Make sure everything is sealed tightly. Check out these things:

Make sure the fuel line from the muffler to the fuel tank is attached firmly at both ends.
    Look at the silicon coupling that connects the muffler to the exhaust header. Look for any leaks. Push everything together nice and tight.
    Check to make sure there isn't any debris that could be stopping the lid from sealing properly on the fuel tank.
    Also be sure to look at the fuel line going from the tank to the carb needle. There may be a rip or something that could be causing it to not seal up properly.
    It also helps to make sure that your throttle is in the idle position when you go to prime it.
    Most importantly make sure you seal the tip of the exhaust pipe with a finger while you pull on the pullstart. That's what creates the suction.

Hope that helps.
    Tornado Xp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Popper252

Thank you for the info. My guess is the fuel lid is not closed completely and i see lot of dirt. All Other options seems to be all in place. Let me try cleaning near the tank and hope that takes care.

Thanks again.
    My Wife knows how much it costs and she still Loves me ;-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Funny Popper, that's what I was typing (you're more detailed) when the window mysteriously closed...Happens all the time when using the net from work...I'm still not that experienced with these, but it sure sounded like an old fashioned vaccuum leak to me (I'm still more used to playing with real cars). Thanks to a posting on another thread (I believe the one for the 1/10th scale buggy) That I think might have been from you, I came to the conclusion that my problem my have been a broken clutch spring...which my not have been set right from the factory since I had to really open with trim to start then drop to idle once running since the first start. I will look into that tonight or tomorrow...Thanks again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmm a sure indication of a broken clutch spring would be the wheels spinning when you give the pullstart a yank. So i don't know if that's your problem or not.
    As for opening the trim a little when going to start the engine, i have that problem too. I've got to adjust my trim to open the throttle up a little bit and then once the engine is going I have to back it back down otherwise the car takes off on me. I think in my case it's because my carb body is loose and it'd moving from side to side. So baisically when i go to full throttle (which i like to do a lot ) it pivots the entire carb to the right, and then when I let go of the throttle and it goes back to idle it doesn't close the throttle back the entire way unless I apply some brake. I really think i need to just seal it up better with some RTV sealant and that should fix my problem. I'm probably also gonna take a look at my idle screw adjustment and play with that a little.

I'm sitting here at work too, editing some documents and formatting a couple things. I try to drop into the forums when ever I get bored and need a break. It's weird that your window keeps cloing like that though... watch out... big brother is after you man...
    Tornado Xp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No kidding...I do work for a rather large aerospace company, they have all kinds of filters and tracking on comps...but what I was using today and is when I have the problems with it, isn't a PC but a Wyse terminal, which is nothing but a connections box that allows you to hook up printer, monitor and jazz to a server...mega slow, easier to track...but I don't have to sign in under my ID to use...LOL...

Like I said, I used to race bikes as a kid, then electrics r/c in my teens and early 20's, and have been messing with street rods and customs for the past 10 or so yrs...It's just going to take me a while to get my grove back...And taking it completely apart to learn it and to check it out is a good first step...especially considering how useful the owners manual is....

Weekend's here, get rid of all the kids for the weekend...I just might get some time to work on it...LOL...and I'm going to get one of two of those traxxas clutch springs just in case...LOL.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast