Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 AM
will0983

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

yes
Old 03-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Redharris

I need some help with a Part.
I LOST my MotorSaver air filter when filming for the Bash contest
I need to know what SIZE (fits on the carb) to get for my VX.18 engine.
It is either 10mm or 11mm( lost the link to TOWER and cant find it HERE)
Can someone tell me what size?
Or post a link to what THEY bought.
Thanx....
Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the one for the traxxas 2.5, 3.3 will work
Old 03-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Redharris

Awesome.... THanks Eddie
Old 03-06-2008, 09:35 PM
ehroof

yw
Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Redharris

Ya'all ever had your Throttle Linkage Fall off? Ever had to do the PERP Walk through a Field lookin for you Linkage?[:@]

Well ....heres a fix so screw holding Linkage to the Servo horn will never fall out Again! It also Tightens Tolerances (less slop) and cures Binding problems(if ya have them),,,,, Heres the picture....
P.S. Thats a 3x15mm hex screw, 2ea 3mm washers, and 2ea 3mm nuts. the nut on top is Loctited ant holds the other in place without having to over tighten(and cause Binding in the linkage).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95439.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	901997  
Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 PM
ohsobrown

can someone help me? I need to replace my THROTTLE GEAR (47T). how do i get to the CENTER GEAR assembly? what do i need to take off in order to get to it. i dont want to take apart the wrong pices, and not be able to put it all back together again. I am new to this, and I would love to get some help.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:42 PM
ehroof

you need to take the trans out, 4 screws on the bottom of the chassis. you will need to take the engine out too. then break down the trans to get the gears out. its a little bit of a job and for the first time you will need a big place to put the parts, in the order you take them out so you know how to get it back together, most of it is obvious.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:02 PM
chevyderek72

ok i got a question, so you know how if you put bigger tires on then your low end will suffer but your top end will be better, and if you did smaller tires then your top end would suffer but low end would be better. what if you put two different size tires on, like on a volcano you put buggy tires on the front or just put bigger tires on the rear or something. what would happen if you had two different size tires??
Old 03-21-2008, 10:10 PM
5lagd

ORIGINAL: Redharris

Ya'all ever had your Throttle Linkage Fall off? Ever had to do the PERP Walk through a Field lookin for you Linkage?[:@]

Well ....heres a fix so screw holding Linkage to the Servo horn will never fall out Again! It also Tightens Tolerances (less slop) and cures Binding problems(if ya have them),,,,, Heres the picture....
P.S. Thats a 3x15mm hex screw, 2ea 3mm washers, and 2ea 3mm nuts. the nut on top is Loctited ant holds the other in place without having to over tighten(and cause Binding in the linkage).
Paint it (or any other parts that may "fall" off.lol) bright yellow or orange. easy to find whey you are doing the "PERP walk:
Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: tihstae

ok i got a question, so you know how if you put bigger tires on then your low end will suffer but your top end will be better, and if you did smaller tires then your top end would suffer but low end would be better. what if you put two different size tires on, like on a volcano you put buggy tires on the front or just put bigger tires on the rear or something. what would happen if you had two different size tires??
it wont work, the tires need to be the same size on a 4 wheel drive vehicle. all 4 need to turn at the same speed.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 PM
chevyderek72

oh really, ya i guess that makes sense, thanks haha
Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: ldgasp

ORIGINAL: Redharris

Paint it (or any other parts that may "fall" off.lol) bright yellow or orange. easy to find whey you are doing the "PERP walk:
Yah! I do that now.... Dogbones are Florescent Orange now....But I GARAUNTEEEEE that Throttle Linkage will never fall off again!
Old 04-02-2008, 05:55 PM
radford512

hi i have a tornado xp and it is all wheel drive and the front wheels are only spinning and the rear does not can anyone help?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 PM
rclynx

More than likely your drive sleeve to the back has come loose. You will need to line up the grub screw so you can tighten it on the shaft that the sleeve goes over. before you tighten it you must find the flat spot on the shaft that the sleeve covers, and tighten it on that flat spot. hope that makes sense to you [&:]
Old 04-05-2008, 03:43 PM
rickwebste

I bought the Redcat fail safe part number 03028. Do I just plug this in or do I have to do something to set it? Thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 03:45 PM
rickwebste

Another problem is when my son puts the car for full gas it floods out and stalls if you dont let up on it. What do I need to do? Thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Swamp3r

ORIGINAL: rickwebste

I bought the Redcat fail safe part number 03028. Do I just plug this in or do I have to do something to set it? Thanks
I'd add a throttle return spring as well. Plug the fail safe in between the throttle servo and the receiver, turn on the receiver and radio, then shut off your radio and see if the brakes apply if not turn that little screw( I don't know which way lol) . Thats the way I set mine up works great. As for the boggin out http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7328471/tm.htm
Old 04-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: rickwebste

Another problem is when my son puts the car for full gas it floods out and stalls if you dont let up on it. What do I need to do? Thanks
Your sons engine may be running too Rich (too much gas) or too Lean (too little gas).
Either of the above conditions will cause the problem that you described.
Heres what you do....
Its best to assume the engine is running too Lean.
Adjust the HSN (high speed needle) Counter Clockwise 1/8 turn and try running the car. If it improves or does not change, turn the HSN another 1/8 turn CCW. Run the car again. By now, performance should drastically improve if it was running lean. You should see lots of Smoke comming out of the pipe as you drive it up and down the street. Continue the adjustment procedure until the car Accelerates smoothly at Full Throttle, (remember,,,Lots of smoke!)

If the above procedure made your Problem Worse, then you were probably running too Rich. (Not nearly as bad for the engine as running too lean).So...We reverse the above procedure. Adjust the HSN in 1/8 turns Clockwise and run the car. Repeat this process untill the car is running fast and not stalling/hesitating at WOT (Wide Open Throttle).
Now heres the tricky part.....we dont want to damage the engine by running too Lean.
As you adjust the HSN Clockwise, the car will run Faster and better until you get to a point where it starts to Hesitate/stall at WOT.
At this point you have turned the HSN too far and the engine is running too Lean, (which is BAD!). Turn the HSN back 1/8 turn CCW. You should see lots of smoke comming out of the pipe, and the car should not hesitate at WOT.

This is what we call a Coarse Tune. You still have a ways to go before the engine runs perfectly, but it should be drivable now....
Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 PM
outlawz

Hey im totally new to the gas rc cars and am having trouble getting my car to shift. i have a redcat tornado xp. i checked my clutch spring before and it was broke but i fixed it and it still did not shift. i dont know how to fix it or what i should check first. i dont know much at all about these cars but i dont remember it shifting even when it was right out of the box. let me know asap if you know what it is or what i should check first. thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Swamp3r

You might as well change to a single speed tranny, I keep seeing alot of respectable members saying that. I know I've never had a problem with any 3 of my single speed trannys. Hear alot of bad stuff about 2 speed though.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Redharris

outlawz....
I wish I could Help You, but I do not own a Redcat with a Two speed. However.....
You Bought and Paid for a Two Speed, and it should WORK,, darn it......
And it CAN be made to work, so dont settle for less!

Cmon You Guys....
I KNOW there are a lot of 2 Speed Peeps in this Forum...
Someone help Outlawz out here with some info.....

If you feel like doing a bit of Research, you will Probably find an Answer in the Tornado Thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5342050/tm.htm
Old 04-22-2008, 02:29 AM
Swamp3r

I don't own a 2 speed either but I did some reading and apparently there is a grub screw you can play with on the bottom of your truck. Unless I read wrong. I know nothing about 2 speeds but I hope that helps you.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:31 AM
codokas

ORIGINAL: outlawz

Hey im totally new to the gas rc cars and am having trouble getting my car to shift. i have a redcat tornado xp. i checked my clutch spring before and it was broke but i fixed it and it still did not shift. i dont know how to fix it or what i should check first. i dont know much at all about these cars but i dont remember it shifting even when it was right out of the box. let me know asap if you know what it is or what i should check first. thanks.

If you look under the car you will see the 2 speed unit (silver and in back of the smaller gear and toward the motor)
Spin the wheels till you see 2 grub screws-holding the car up with the front end held up-the screw to the right is the one that controls the shift(also chect the other one to see if it is tight anyhow turning the screw in makes it shift later-out sooner-what I've found out is thisif the car/truggy seems sluggishmore they likely it's locked in second-so I tighten the grub a little
DOUG
Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 PM
will0983

need to know what size dogbones for the front? thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.