Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Old 01-26-2009, 03:07 PM
alowco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Thansk for your help...
Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM
richardtf

hi i have a volcano sv, iam replacing the clutch spring,what kind of brand will fit?

thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:07 AM
00Desmond

Forgive me I didn't see the quote button at first.

TuffGuy31: My volcano seems to be stuck in neutral??? I start it and the engine just revs when I pull the trigger??? It revs but goes nowhere??? what could it be?????

I am having the same problem. Mine started right after I hit a little bump ... I did about a six inch jump and when I landed, I started having that problem. My spur gear is fine, so I opened up the tranny, everything looks fine in there, it's almost as if the bearings on my two drive gears are too loose (which I doubt very seriously is the problem, just trying to get the point across). They rotate just fine,but if there is any pressure on the drive shaft, it won't spin, the gears just rotate around it. I have been searching for hours for someone else with the same problem. I will definitely pass along a solution if I find one.

-Desmond
Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 AM
chevyderek72

Richard- the traxxas high stall spring works great, it takes more rpms to launch, so you get a better take off. i think its part number 4146x

Desmond- Your slipper clutch might be loose. There should be 3 sets of gears on different shafts, the first one which had the spur and the other metal gear on it has a slipper clutch. If thats loose it will just spin, check that, thats what it sounds like.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 AM
00Desmond

Thanks Derek,

I am not entirely sure what you mean when you say slipper clutch.

I just watched a pretty helpful [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE1nEsknKrA]video on the two speed tranny[/link] that might have explained my problem. There is something called a one way bearing that according to Alishanmao could be the problem. Now I just have to figure out where to get one. I couldn't find parts for the T2 on Redcat's website.

Edit:

Nevermind, I think I found something that will work. They call it a 14mm Hex nut & one way bearing (part number 06067) I searched for the 47t spur gear that it sits in, and found that there is one for the Tornado and Tsunami models. Hopefully it is the same thing.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:01 AM
chevyderek72

Oh is it the 2 speed volcano?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:06 AM
00Desmond

Yes it is
Old 04-03-2009, 02:13 PM
chevyderek72

Oh i thought it was the single speed. Uh make sure your slipper clutch is tight enough, its on the outside of the tranny housing. That may be it. If i had it with me i could find it, but im not too sure without having it.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:01 PM
ferguisa

Hello, Can you help me with the low speed needle, please explain more detail,. I am from Mexico and I have problems with thew terms, What is flush with the end of the slide??????? How can put it as the factory set. I have the Monsoon and I have already brake it. But I move the low speed needle and will not start.

Thanks

Fernando Guisa

[email protected]
Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
chevyderek72

Turn your lsn out 3 turns, and lean from there. You want a crisp throttle response. I think mines at 2.5.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
ferguisa

You mean close all the needle, then open 3 full turns??? that's what you said? Thanks...I am from Mexico and I am not familiar with the terms.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:52 PM
chevyderek72

Ya, if its the sh28 your talking about, then ya, turn the needle all the way in, but dont turn hard, just turn till its snug. Then turn the needle out 3 turns.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
richardtf

ORIGINAL: chevyderek72

Richard- the traxxas high stall spring works great, it takes more rpms to launch, so you get a better take off. i think its part number 4146x

Desmond- Your slipper clutch might be loose. There should be 3 sets of gears on different shafts, the first one which had the spur and the other metal gear on it has a slipper clutch. If thats loose it will just spin, check that, thats what it sounds like.

thanks man... :-)
Old 04-09-2009, 05:36 PM
00Desmond

So I got my one way bearing in today, put my car back together, put loctite on the little set screw that holds dog bone in place. Let the car sit for about an hour. Then ... yay ... I get to play with my baby again. Well two minutes into my first run, I lose my rear wheel drive. Surprise, the dogbone is gone. Now I would love to order a new one along with the piece that holds it to the transmission, but as anyone lucky enough to buy a T2 would probably know by now ... Redcat doesn't sell parts for that car. So if anyone knows where I can get parts for my car, I would love it if you could tell me where.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:52 AM
ghostfaceaz

Does anyone have any steps, advice step-by-step guide, pics, vids as to how to get tot he transmission.

I am looking for help to replace one or both gears, or the whole transmission.....which seems to be out of stop at redcat.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM
chevyderek72

I would but ive been busy lately. But its really easy, just look and it and see what screws you have to take off. What car is it on?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Mickstix

BUMP... This should be stickied at the top of the forum!!Lots of excellent info in this thread!!Mods, if ya see this, please sticky it!!thanks..

EDIT:Never mind.. I now see there's a link to it, upin the "'Redcat Product Support"' thread, that's stickied..
Old 03-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Wild Bill98

I HAVE HIMOTO VIPER X2S AND WHEN IT GETS WARMED UP IT LOOSES COMPRESON . DOES THIS MEAN THE ENGINE IS NO GOOD?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Mickstix

How do ya know it looses compression?Does it shut off?They loosen up quite a bit when there warm, but asure sign of a engine that's toast, is it'll run fineuntil it gets warm, then die.. Then it's very hard to restart, or wont start at all, until ya let it cool down..
Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
fwarrior2010

my Redcat Lightening VXruns fast and perfect in first gear then tries to shift into second and stalls out. if I let go of the gas fast enough the engine can sometimes catch itself and keep it running. I can't keep it running and in second gear. it pisses me off and Iwas hoping someone could explain to me what is going on and how to fix it. I am an R/C NOOB so you have to be very specific and go into detail for me. thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Mickstix

What do you mean by "if I let go of the gas the engine can catch itself"?? What happens if you just leave the throttle at full, does the engine startmissing and thendie shut offcompletely, or does it just start bogging but keeps running? If it dies, (whats called a "flame out").. Your probablyrunning it out of fuel and your High Speed Needle (HSN) istoo lean.. Now, if it just starts bogging down, you could have the HSN too rich, and it's overwhelming the engine with fuel (or trying to flood it).. And for my third guess You could just have the transmission set to go into 2nd too late, but it sounds like the engine isnt tuned for full performance.. Remember, if ya need to richen the HSN, turn the screw counter clockwise.. If you need to lean it out, turn it clockwise.. Only adjust in 1/12 increments.. Think of the needle housing as a clock, and just adjust the screw an hour at a time in the direction ya need, then run the vehicle for a minute or two so the change can take effect, then make another adjustment, etc.. It sounds pretty close, so it may only need a small tweak to dial it in! Also, be careful not to run it too lean, cause it'll get hot and could damage the engine.. Either use a heat temp gun, or some spit or water and put a few drops on the top of the engine cooling "head".. If it sizzles, the engine is too hot.. It should evaporate in about 5-7 seconds.. If it takes longer than that, to evaporate,the engine probably isnt running at top performance. Good luck and let us know how it does!!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:37 PM
blusls

Hi All, I just got my first Volcano S30 and seemed to have gotten so frustrated with getting the engine to idle right that i have ended up adjusting the idle to the point where  I don't know where the sweet spot is any more. If I was to turn the screw in clockwise all the way until it stopped, How many turns would I need to make to get it back to the factory setting? TIA!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is really no set turns for idle. you just turn until the carb opening has a 1mm gap. The low and high needles are usually 2 1/3 to 3 turns.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 PM
juna1103

Does anyone here know how to take the flywheel on this engine??
Old 06-23-2012, 05:16 AM
juna1103

Has anybody ever install these on a Tornado S30 or a similar Rc car? The shock ball mounts are to big to pop them on, or do you screw them on??
Any help please..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.