Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:15 PM
glk420247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

I found some info about the gear problem. Just wanted to know if it sounds like it would work. Thanks for all the other info. Greg

Also, and this is VERY important, check the mesh between the engine gears and the transmission gears. (See #2 below) They can come from the factory a little on the loose side. Unless you make them snug (but not too tight) you will strip these gears the first time or two you use the car. They are easily replaced, but if you snug them up first, you won’t have to replace them until much later in their useful lifetime.

I will tell you from experience that if you DO NOT check your car, you can expect any or all of the following to happen. They all happened to me!
(1) Your wheels will fall off.
(2) The engine position can change causing you to strip your transmission gears. A 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch makes all the difference. There are 4 phillips screws in 4 slots on the bottom of the car that hold the engine in place. Just loosen, let gravity adjust the mesh and then tighten the screws again. Make SURE the engine is square to the transmission.
(3) The drive shafts will fly off. (grub screw issue)
(4) Your brakes can malfunction causing a major crash. (tighten grubs)
Old 08-11-2006, 05:53 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is not really A reply but A problem all I did was put on A roto start on 1/10 buggy now the wheels wont stop even when the idle is so low the buggy has A hard time running? Any help will do should I go after the clutch sping or what? P.S. yes i got the motor run pretty good the idel is in range but those wheels just keep going
Old 08-11-2006, 06:14 PM
chubbysuncle

Yes.... the spring is broken.........
Old 08-11-2006, 07:20 PM
giddyuperic

YES YOU WERE RIGHT!!!! yea!!! okay now I have A new spring on does the washers go under the bearing or on top of it?? they fell off when I was putting on the spring the stuff on top of the bell housen is fine what i am talking about is where it bolts to the fly wheel????
Old 08-12-2006, 07:57 AM
chubbysuncle

Read the first page of this thread![:@] Everything you need to know about the Redcat clutch has been posted to this thread with pictures.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:58 AM
giddyuperic

Hello thanks for all the help . But i would like to know if under the bell housing where you bolt the clutch shoes is it the bearing first or the washers first then the bearing? I put the washers first than the bearing just seeing if I have them in the right order? thanks for all your help this is A great way to get information about the buggys and cars. that they make as the book well you know doesn't tell you sh#$. It's great you have A problem you go here and post it and badbin you have A answer. thank's let keep it going. Eric
Old 08-15-2006, 09:18 PM
leesmack

i just replaced my clutch spring tonight. i used the traxxas 4146x. i used the directions on the front page of this thread and worked out great. Now if i can just get my car to shift to 2nd gear. i tried WD 40 and also loosened the screw on the bottom and it wont shift.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:14 PM
giddyuperic

Did you make sure you are turning the right screw? it's the one that not so deep on the clutch, their should be two one that's really deep and the other one is just A little below the surface. there is some really good photes on one of the threads posted on here. This s the best place to get info. P.S. don't forget the blue thread lock
Old 08-16-2006, 08:57 PM
leesmack

yeah i turned the right screw and it wont shift. ill figure it out sometime hopefully
Old 08-17-2006, 01:35 PM
giddyuperic

Hello just seeing if you fixed the problem with the shifting? There is A really great set of pictures for adjusting the clutch with the two speed. Hope you get it going it's A balst when that thing kicks into second gear. yaha!!!!!! that's when you really start breaking them, warp speed capt. See ya in the dust
Old 08-17-2006, 05:55 PM
leesmack

no i have not fixed it yet. but i was messing around with it last nite and flipped it. didnt hurt it but it shut off. when i started it back up it revved all the way as high as it would go i could nt get it to turn off. i had to hold it up in the air so it would not run away from me. i tried the brake on the remote and nothing happened. then i didnt want the motor to blow so i held it on the ground so the wheels wouldnt spin and the motor was still going crazy, i tried to adjust the idle on the remote but that did nothing. i couldnt figure out how to turn it off so i held my shoe over the exhuast hole and it shut off. im scared to start it now.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:35 PM
leesmack

i got it started and its running fine now except for the shifting part.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:38 PM
chubbysuncle

It sounds like one of the batteries lost contact after the flip. I put a few wraps of electrical tape around the batteries in the holder so they don't shift or lose contact after a jump or crash.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:47 AM
giddyuperic

Hello I think for your safety and others you should just buy reciver battery pack they come in all kinds size shape and voltz amps what ever you need I have been using A four cell it's 5.9 voltz 700 mil amps I got it for hobby town it was $9.99 it fits just right it is the same size as the four battery holder that comes with the car they are double A right? Okay now the shift problem did you take that screw all the way out? if so there is A spring and Alittle ball in there. Other thing that I would think to save you the trouble just break down and buy A new trans asembly. I don't think they cost that much. How old is the car?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:32 AM
leesmack

just bought the car a few weeks ago only ran about 6 tanks thru it, maybe 8. i have not took the spring all the way out. i've loosened it almost all the way and then tightened it all the way and all the in between and tried to drive it and get it to shift but it wont. maybe ill take it apart.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:00 PM
jguitarsandcars

lee...get a fail safe...it keeps the car from running off on you if any of your batteries goes low or if there's a glitch, or if you go out of range....Also, from what I've read in this forum and the engine forum, shutting it off with backpressure(covering the exhaust) is a bad idea...pinch the fuel feed line to the carb...engine dies from no fuel...it's in the owners manual for tuning the LSN...
Old 08-21-2006, 10:07 PM
glk420247

Another way to stop engine. the only way these engines get to such a high horsepower rating, is their RPM. i think the highest torque on an engine, at peak, is somewhere around 45 oz... not much at all. at idle, just jam your thumb at the flywheel, and that will stop your engine.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:20 PM
futabaed

Not Recomended:

glk420247

just jam your thumb at the flywheel, and that will stop our engine.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:19 PM
giddyuperic

Hello there I was wondering, Do you work for red cat racing ?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:30 AM
glk420247

How come? I have been told that buy my LHS people. Just would like an explanation please. So i know why not to do this.

ORIGINAL: futabaed

Not Recommended:

glk420247

just jam your thumb at the flywheel, and that will stop our engine.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:54 PM
futabaed

I just don't wont anyone hurt on account of your LHS advice,These engines spin at high rpm's.
The top of the flywheel has lil groves in it that will catch your finger and throw your finger the direction the engine is spinning.

With the gearbox rite there I do not belive this would be a good idea.
Not only could you bind your hand in between the flywheel & the exusht pipe but worse case senario you might get it in the gearbox.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:51 PM
glk420247

YEah your right. THat really is not a good idea. Wish I could take it off the thread. I was just saying that because he sounded like he had to do something in a hurry. I mostly do it when I have to shut it down in a hurry, but most of the time I pinch the fuel line.

SORRY for the bad advice Greg

Old 08-22-2006, 07:49 PM
chubbysuncle

I don't wanna get anyone upset so please read carefully. The best way to stop a nitro engine is stalling it at the flywheel. There is no lean condition or over pressurizing the fuel system. Futubaed is correct though, in a way. You really don't want to stick your fingers into parts moving at 5000 RPM anytime! HPI makes an engine shutoff for the savage that pushes against the flywheel to stall the engine without getting your body in danger. Redcat does not and they aren't going to so don't ask. If you can't run all of the fuel out of the tank till it's empty and have to shut off in an emergency put your finger over the end of the exhaust. The stock pipe does not get hot enough to burn you, Aluminiums DO! If you can get to the fuel supply line to the carb, pinch it and this will also stall the engine. The best thing is to just run the Redcat car/ truck till it's out of fuel. Your LHS is correct though about stalling the engine at the flywheel. It is the best way to stop a nitro engine. Just DON'T USE YOU FINGER!!!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:40 AM
jaanpla

I don't know if it is adviseable or not (I am a newb to RCs) but I always use my foot (with shoes on of course) to stop the flywheel. That is what I was told is the best way by my LHS.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:05 AM
giddyuperic

OKAY PEOPLE LETS PUT THIS TO BED!! YOU DO NOT STOP A NITRO CAR,TRUCK,BUGGY WHAT EVER BY COVERING THE HOLE IN THE EXAUST PIPE OR STICK YOUR FINGER IN WHERE THE FLYWHEEL IS!!! PEOPLE JUST PINCH THE FUEL LINE GOING TO THE CARB AND THAT WILL ALSO BURN ANY FUEL LEFT IN THE CUMBUSTION CHAMBER. SO NO MORE SHOES, FINGERS PLEASE AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.